PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Crit Range (3.P)

TheLastSane1
2014-02-28, 04:58 PM
Ok so I was wondering what feat build, class build, etc would give me the best critical range for dual weapons.

I know Kukri is a popular choice, but at 1d4 it seems to lack power.

Diarmuid
2014-02-28, 05:58 PM
When crit fishing, you're looking to stack as many static bonuses as possible, so the die size is fairly irrelevant unless you're going for a huge Falchion or something.

What sources do you have available?

Jane_Smith
2014-02-28, 06:08 PM
Yeah, as above, base damage of a weapon does NOT matter with a crit build. Period. Don't even consider it/look at it.

You specifically want to look at the crit multiplier/range only. Threat range first, multiplier second - specifically a light weapon is preferred, or a one-hander with reach (I believe there is a whip-style sword that is one of the only exotic one-handed weapons ever published with 10 foot reach, but its only 19-20/x2 crit). Damage should be the last priority - because all you care about is crit proc effects.

Examples - Vorpal, X-Burst enchantments, and crit-feats such as con damage on crit. The red mantis 'sawblade sword' from pathfinder 3.5 (before they made there own rulebook, the setting guide had this weapon under 3.5 rules) i believe deals 1 con damage on a successful crit. Combined with wounding enchantment and con-poison, and a con damage on critical feat? You can easily deal 1d4+3 con damage + poison effect on a crit.

There is also a cheap pair of bracers on the pathfinder srd - bonebreaker bracers or something? 2k gp range. 1/day when you hit and damage an enemy, you can opt to make them take 4 str, dex, or con damage. All of this combined can make one special crit deal 1d4+7 Con damage + a poison effect, if any. Sure, its 1/day, but, hey - the ability to virtually one shot anyone but a raging barbarian or dwarven defender sounds good enough to me!

Edit: There is also a feat from the pathfinder SRD called "Flay" or something. If you attack and damage an enemy who is at full or higher hp (such as having temp hp), you deal +2d6 bonus untyped damage. It does not multiply with a crit, but with the above build to deal massive con damage in a burst, it can allow you to make up for a weapons low base damage in the initial hit to get threw damage reduction, etc. There is a charge-based feat that adds +2d4 damage to a charge attack, that DOES NOT say it doesnt multiply on a crit, so its totally up for grabs in a crit build, and should be considered as well. Sorry i cant remember the proper names, but using the srd 'search' advanced options can find them easily enough.

Gemini476
2014-02-28, 06:36 PM
Examples - Vorpal, X-Burst enchantments, and crit-feats such as con damage on crit. The red mantis 'sawblade sword' from pathfinder 3.5 (before they made there own rulebook, the setting guide had this weapon under 3.5 rules) i believe deals 1 con damage on a successful crit. Combined with wounding enchantment and con-poison, and a con damage on critical feat? You can easily deal 1d4+3 con damage + poison effect on a crit.

Do note that Vorpal only works on a natural 20, no matter your crit range. They changed it from 3.0 at the same time as they changed Keen from stacking with Improved Critical and suchlike. You may understand why.

TheLastSane1
2014-02-28, 06:52 PM
Virtually anything in 3.5 and PF, so long as I can name sources.

The Urumi?

TuggyNE
2014-02-28, 07:05 PM
There is a charge-based feat that adds +2d4 damage to a charge attack, that DOES NOT say it doesnt multiply on a crit, so its totally up for grabs in a crit build, and should be considered as well. Sorry i cant remember the proper names, but using the srd 'search' advanced options can find them easily enough.

Bonus damage dice never stack anyway, so the fact that it doesn't restate the general rule does not change anything.