PDA

View Full Version : help me out with pathfinder?

IIzak
2014-02-28, 06:49 PM
Mk, so i am a long time dnd 3.5 player and i recently got invited to play in a pathfinder campaign. I had a couple of questions i wanted to ask the Playground before i said yes.

1) in what ways is 3.5 different from pathfinder?
2) does the tier system still apply in pathfinder?
3) am i going to have fun with the system, or am i going to gripe and complain the whole time about it?
4) any suggestions of what to play?

Nihilarian
2014-02-28, 06:56 PM
1) Saph wrote a Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136890).
2) Mostly. Some differences (Paladin is high tier 4 or low tier 3)
3) If you like 3.5, probably.

Psyren
2014-02-28, 07:03 PM
1) Answered.
2) Yes. For the most part it is unchanged, though there are more classes towards the middle than at the edges now.
3) That depends on how you felt about 3.5.
4) Bard might be a good start - they have a very wide variety of possible builds now, but should be familiar enough to you that you can hit the ground running. Their tier has not changed.

Blisstake
2014-02-28, 07:36 PM
3) am i going to have fun with the system, or am i going to gripe and complain the whole time about it?

What kind of characters do you usually play in 3.5? How optimal are your characters, usually?

Some people love Pathfinder, and some hate it with a passion (see: any topic on it in this forum). So it really depends.

IIzak
2014-02-28, 07:57 PM
My characters in 3.5 im currently playing are a warforged artificer, human factotum, and dwarf fighter (hes more of a joke though) id rather play something a little more powerful tbh. Ive also got a shifter druid in the works that i was gna prc into moonspeaker i think it is. I havent looked at it in a while. I would like something stronger, and mid to high op. Never really been a fan of bards though. I know they have the whole sublime chord and the dragon thing, but its just not what im looking for.

1pwny
2014-02-28, 08:06 PM
Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but from what I've seen Pathfinder is less about cool classes and more about class Archetypes. If you go to the srd (d20pfsrd.com), you'll get a list of just about everything you need.

What I liked about about Pathfinder is that optimization and character creation took less time. You don't have to spend 6 hours looking for the best Race/Template/Class build, and the feats are in a very helpful table. So character creation took less time for me, and I had much more time to play.

Also, I liked the customizable Intelligent Items. Check them out.