PDA

View Full Version : [PF only] How to get away with wearing heavy armor as a wizard? (free still spell?)

Kraken
2014-02-28, 08:32 PM
I know, I know. More trouble than it's worth. But I'm doing it anyway. Essentially, once I hit my third level of hellknight signifier (called the enforcer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight-signifer) on the SRD), I want to switch to wearing mithril hellknight plate. Previously, I was content to use the third level of signifier and my swift action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-mastery-combat) to eliminate ASF on demand. But then I remembered arcane concordance (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/arcaneConcordance.html) exists. A previous character of mine had a familiar that activated a wand of arcane concordance every combat, but more for the +1 to save DCs than the metamagic feat it grants during its duration, and activating the wand every time I want to avoid ASF would get costly. And of course, rods. What other ways are there to get still spell without using higher level slots?

grarrrg
2014-02-28, 09:37 PM
See list here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16427024#post16427024).

Kraken
2014-02-28, 10:37 PM
I glanced through each class that was labeled as progressing either arcane or both, and while I could have missed something, I didn't see anything useful to me under these circumstances. Definitely bookmarked as a resource down the road, though.

grarrrg
2014-02-28, 10:43 PM
I glanced through each class that was labeled as progressing either arcane or both, and while I could have missed something, I didn't see anything useful to me under these circumstances. Definitely bookmarked as a resource down the road, though.

Yeah. There isn't all that much to work with.

ericgrau
2014-02-28, 11:12 PM
Rods of still spell I suppose. The first 3 spells are usually all that matters. If there's a 2nd fight, take your armor off. Avoid spells with attack rolls and you don't need proficiency. In fact use a light shield or buckler in your rod hand.

The lesser rods are quite cheap. It's the regular rods that start to hurt.

Drachasor
2014-02-28, 11:19 PM
Rods of still spell I suppose. The first 3 spells are usually all that matters. If there's a 2nd fight, take your armor off. Avoid spells with attack rolls and you don't need proficiency. In fact use a light shield or buckler in your rod hand.

The lesser rods are quite cheap. It's the regular rods that start to hurt.

Though not they aren't RAW per se.

That said, they aren't that bad. The price is pretty high at 7-10th level, but after that it is all pretty cheap. It's about 100k to buy one rod per spell level. Around 50k to craft them. If your DM is nice, he'll let you put all of that into one rod.

On the other hand, it does prevent you from using other metamagic rods, which sucks.

Though Lesser Rods can be replaced by Simulacrums and Ring Gates. (You can also get as many 1st-3rd level spells as you want, pretty much, this way).

Another option is Craft Construct and making an Animated Object that you ride on and would provide cover. That's as good as Platemail or better. No melee for you, but the animated object could melee.

Rainbaw
2014-03-01, 12:18 AM
Though not they aren't RAW per se.

That said, they aren't that bad. The price is pretty high at 7-10th level, but after that it is all pretty cheap. It's about 100k to buy one rod per spell level. Around 50k to craft them. If your DM is nice, he'll let you put all of that into one rod.

On the other hand, it does prevent you from using other metamagic rods, which sucks.

Though Lesser Rods can be replaced by Simulacrums and Ring Gates. (You can also get as many 1st-3rd level spells as you want, pretty much, this way).

Another option is Craft Construct and making an Animated Object that you ride on and would provide cover. That's as good as Platemail or better. No melee for you, but the animated object could melee.

You could make a tank!

Also, Warmage (in D&D 3.5) is kind of a warrior-mage that uses only evocation spells... is as close as you will get.

Drachasor
2014-03-01, 12:22 AM
You could make a tank!

I was thinking something that would involve people yelling "IT'S A GUNDAM!"

You could potentially have total cover even. Make Crafter's Eyes or find some other way to observe the outside. Cast spells through a Ring Gate (since each ring has an "in" and an "out" this can be pretty safe if it is welded to something -- that means you can show just the "out" part.

ericgrau
2014-03-01, 12:29 AM
Ah that's right, still spell is the only one that's not on a rod.

There's a talent that let's you get 1 level of free metamagic on a single spell. If you metamagic the begeezus out of it so it scales you could be a one trick pony.

Stoneback
2014-03-01, 01:48 AM
Only adventure while inside the Apparatus of Kwalish?

ericgrau
2014-03-01, 01:51 AM
If you use mythic rules there's something similar to sudden still.

Kraken
2014-03-01, 07:54 AM
Hm, drat. Are there any good options for keeping arcane concordance active on demand, that won't run through a wand a week?

Drachasor
2014-03-01, 08:00 AM
Hm, drat. Are there any good options for keeping arcane concordance active on demand, that won't run through a wand a week?

A Simulacrum could do it. But you can't guarantee they are near you. Maaaybe, the AoE would go through a Ring Gate.

Overall pretty tricky.