PDA

View Full Version : Create weapon spell. An armory in one spell.

legolizard
2014-02-28, 08:52 PM
Hello forums. Today I bring you a spell I have been working on for awhile now and I wanted to get some thoughts and feedback on it.

The create weapon spell is designed to make an armory of weapons available to those with the talent to pull them from the fabric of the universe and to use them.

It is designed for the Magus and other melee oriented casters. Please keep this in mind when looking over the spell because the highest level weapons will not be available to any class until at least level 10.

Due to the length of the spell and the weapon list I have made both available on a google doc that you can freely leave comments on.

Create Weapon Spell Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YHB11oHCmlnGFXYrNDw9kMWnAMDLrnaC89BN2_72SGM/edit?usp=sharing/)

F.A.Q

Question: Why make this spell? I heard Maguses were overpowered!

Answer: While Maguses can be powerful early game they tend to drop off in power once mid and late game I have noticed. Also they lack any signature spells to call their own. I created this spell to add some versatility and flavor to the Magus.

Question: I found a typo, a phrasing issue or a grammatical error! What should I do?

Answer: Please highlight the error and leave a comment on the google doc. I tried to find all the errors I could and get people to proof read it. But you never know what I could have missed.

Questions: I have an idea for a weapon to add to the list. Do you have guidelines on how to balance the weapon and what list it should go in?

Answer: At the bottom of the google doc I have brief guidelines on the thought process behind the different weapon levels.

Question: Should I leave comments on this forum or on the google doc?

Answer: Which ever one you feel more comfortable with. But please keep in mind that the forum moderators control the forums and I control the document. So I can remove comments or close commenting down on the doc at any time.

Question: This spell is totally overpowered and you should feel bad.

Answer: That is not really a question and you have to keep in mind that this spell was designed for classes you get spell levels much slower than Wizards or Sorcerers. I feel pretty good about the whole darn thing

TuggyNE
2014-02-28, 11:30 PM
Create weapon II is not clear on when weapon specials may be added: can a weapon from CW I that lacks any enhancement bonus have a special ability, in contradiction of the usual rules? Similarly, the rule that a weapon cannot have more than a +5 enhancement bonus does not apply to weapon special abilities; rather, the limit is +10 equivalent, total. (Also, assorted typos like calling enhancement bonuses enchantment bonuses.)

Most of the weapons are unclear on whether the enhancement bonus that governs how strong their dismissal effect is is actual (i.e., +N) or the total equivalent (i.e., the price it would have if bought).

Disruption is painfully weak, since you're spending a spell slot of first through fourth level and an additional immediate action for a single +Xd6 damage to certain targets which then removes your weapon. And it doesn't even scale by CL.

Bow of Sport, unless it's using price-equivalent enhancement bonus, seems to add nothing at all to the existing PF DR bypass rules.

Magus Blade is free TWF and that's all?

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, shields only have a single enhancement bonus that applies both to their use as weapons and as armor, so Shield of the Ram is funky; shield spikes are enchanted separately as weapons only.

Blade of Light is arguably a pretty bad deal, since the most you can do with two hits is make sure your target has twice the minor AC penalty you do.

Scythe of Harvesting doesn't say whether temporary HP stack with those from previous hits; if so, it's rather overpowered, and if not it might still be a bit much.