PDA

View Full Version : Let's... [Hearthstone] Let's Draft an Arena Run!

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-28, 11:37 PM
Gul'Dan the Warlock
(1) Mortal Coil
(3) Drain Life
(3) Scarlet Crusader
(3) Wolfrider 2x
(5) Doomguard
(5) Fen Creeper
(6) Dread Infernal
(6) Sunwalker

Pick #9! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17121902&postcount=80)

Murloc Warleader (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Murloc_Warleader): Gives a big buff to all the other murlocs I have on the board.
Hungry Crab: (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Hungry_Crab): Eats a murloc to gain a sizeable buff; also a cheap minion. That's a horrific misuse of causal logic, by the way.
Faceless Manipulator (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Faceless_Manipulator): Copy another minion. Full stop.

Vote Goal: 6 votes
Hard Deadline: 8 PM 3/6 (UTC-6/CST)

What's Hearthstone? What's an Arena?
Hearthstone is a digital CCG made by Blizzard entertainment. It's currently in its beta phase, and is open to all for free. The "Arena mode" is a specific way to play Hearthstone. When you enter the Arena, the game asks you to choose single cards from sets of three. After you've picked 30 cards, you go on to play against other players with the deck you've picked. I'm sitting on a decent pile of in-game gold, so I figure I've got a little extra to spend on something amusing.

This is where you come in.

What do you mean, me?
I'm counting on the Playground to help me draft my next Arena deck! I'll tell you what cards I have to choose between, and you tell me what to pick! Unfortunately, I can't let you pick all of the cards; if we did that, it'd take...a very, very long time to assemble the deck. So I've arrived on a sort of compromise. Here's how drafting will work.

You pick a single card.
I pick the next two cards.
You pick the next card.
etc., etc., etc.

We'll alternate like that, until all 30 cards in the deck have been picked. However, because it's more fun to have the Playground hivemind decide on a course of action, I won't pick the last two cards (even though that's how the order falls)--the final three cards will all be chosen by your collective wisdom. (Are you prepared for that responsibility?)

How voting works
It's fairly simple: I list three choices, you vote for one. But, there's an added bonus feature...

If you savvy a test of your predictive abilities, you may make a prediction along with your vote. If a predicted card shows up for either of my two picks, I'm taking it. It doesn't matter what other cards are in the draft, I'm trusting your oracular abilities. :smallbiggrin: If multiple predicted cards show up in either selection, I'll pick the card that's been most heavily-predicted. (If that doesn't give me one clear leader, I will determine it fairly and randomly.)

Instead of imposing a time limit on voting, I'm going to instead set a "vote goal"; once one or more choices accrue that many votes, I pick the card with the most votes at the time of my return to the thread. (I'll also set a hard deadline; if no choice has gotten that many votes, then I'll pick a winner based on the votes that have already been cast.)

Comment on choices!
Ask questions if you're confused!
Be ridiculous!
Vote often!
But only once per pick! :smallwink:

(After I draft this deck, I'm going to be trying it out and posting recaps on the thread for your perusal.)

Hopefully that all makes sense? Because here's your first choice....

What Hero do I choose?

Garrosh Hellscream (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Garrosh_Hellscream), ferocious orc warlord and rampaging Warrior!
Gul'dan (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Gul%27dan), dark and power-hungry orc Warlock!
Rexxar (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Rexxar), cunning and skilled half-ogre Hunter!

Vote Goal: 4 votes
Hard Deadline: 12:00 PM (UTC-6/CST), or whenever I get home

Math_Mage
2014-02-28, 11:49 PM
If I were drafting for myself, I'd pick Gul'dan.

For this? Hmmm...yeah, I'll still pick Gul'dan. Should make for the most interesting picks as commenters tug-of-war over control vs. aggro picks, should the cards fall that way.

Zevox
2014-02-28, 11:49 PM
Neat.

Voting for Warlock for the class. Mostly because I don't like Hunter at all, and prefer Warlock to Warrior.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-01, 12:00 AM
I'm also going to be keeping an eye on how quickly votes stream in, and how many people are participating. I'll probably tweak the vote goals as it moves forward and I get a better idea of how big the audience is. (Naturally, some voting will be more lopsided than others, I'll make note of that too.)

AgentPaper
2014-03-01, 12:19 AM
Perhaps, instead of doing 1 of 3 picks strictly, you could instead do all of the common/basic picks yourself, and then let us decide for all of the rare/epic/legendary picks? That should give us roughly the same number of picks (an average arena draft has 8 rare-or-higher cards), and also makes sure that the picks we do get are more interesting, since most of the crazy cards are rare or higher anyways.

I'm going to have to vote for Gul'Dan, and for my prediction (do these start yet?), Angry Chicken.

Edit: For voting periods, twice a day seems like a good compromise. We've got a fairly wide variety of time zones here, so just once in the morning, and then once in the afternoon, roughly 12 hours apart, should get you enough votes. Though only time will really tell, I suppose.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-01, 12:42 AM
So, I wanted to make sure that the draft was regular/dependable in some way, which is why I shied away from my first idea of leaving everything above common to the Playground. If I stumble into a rare+ pick that doesn't fall into the Playground's choices, though, I'll probably wind up turning it over to the Playground anyhow. (Odds are, the every-third-card will catch a few rare+. Riiiiiiiiight.)

No predictions yet; Playground gets Pick #1 for cards, and predictions should wind up therein.

The_Jackal
2014-03-01, 02:16 AM
I'll vote for Garrosh. Should be fun.

HamHam
2014-03-01, 02:18 AM
Rexxar, Hunter is probably the least bad of those three.

ShinyRocks
2014-03-01, 02:58 AM
Go for Warlock. I don't like Hunter in Arena because you get fewer chances for proper Beast synergy. And of 'lock v Warrior, the 'lock's jinky self-damaging style seems more fun for a community draft.

Are we doing early prediction picks? If yes, take the Earthen Ring Farseer.

Gandariel
2014-03-01, 07:08 AM
I vote for GARROSH!

Ninjaman
2014-03-01, 07:08 AM
Take Warlock.

Weimann
2014-03-01, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I'll got for Garrosh here.

Kish
2014-03-01, 08:33 AM
Warrior. ..

Ionbound
2014-03-01, 09:17 AM
I vote Warlock. Hilarity will ensue.

The Glyphstone
2014-03-01, 10:44 AM
Warrior here. BLOOD AND THUNDER.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-01, 11:03 AM
"Your soul SHALL BE MINE!"

...wow! That's a lot more people than I expected! Warlock just shot up to the required 4 votes lickety-split (and then stayed on top throughout the night). Given the number of people paying attention, I will definitely up the necessary votes for our next choice!

(This is actually a good demonstration of how the voting will work out, and why I'm upping the vote limit. It's "first across the finish line", at least by the time I see it. If you swap your vote, that's the one thing that'd change it.)

Things are going to get pretty interesting. Especially since I've never played Warlock before. :smallbiggrin:

Now, then: our first choice!

What's Pick#1?
Questing Adventurer (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Questing_Adventurer), a card that gets bigger as I play more cards.
Mana Addict (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Mana_Addict), a cheap minion that turns into a decent attack card when I cast a spell that turn.
Sunwalker (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Sunwalker), a strong minion with a one-time damage shield. Expensive, but tanky.

Vote Goal: 6 votes needed for a pick (since there's 11 people who responded off the bat, that should suffice as a majority, at least)
Hard Deadline: 11:59 PM on Sunday, 3/2 (UTC-6/CST)...so early Monday morning for Europe folks

And don't forget: along with your vote, you can make one prediction. If your prediction shows up in either of my two picks, I have to pick it. (If two+ predictions show up in my picks, I go with the most popular one. If both are equally popular, I decide randomly.)

This is your chance to land Angry Chicken in my deck.

The Glyphstone
2014-03-01, 11:09 AM
Sunwalker, full stop.

Prediction: Angry Chicken. Just because.:smallbiggrin:
(I would like to go on record I started typing this before the edit was made.)

Olinser
2014-03-01, 11:10 AM
Questing Adventurer. Warlock is most likely to be able to get a lot out of him, at a minimum it forces removal.

Also, 6 votes for 1 card is a lot. There are 3 cards, not 2. There is a distinct possibility that a card will not get to 6 votes.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-01, 11:14 AM
Also, 6 votes for 1 card is a lot. There are 3 cards, not 2. There is a distinct possibility that a card will not get to 6 votes.
I'm tweaking it as I go, so that will likely change. I'll have a look at things tomorrow (probably in around 24 hours), and if none of the cards have gotten to 5 votes yet, I'll set the cap down to 5. (Which leaves 12 more hours to find one last vote.)

It's definitely a system that's going to proceed by trial and error.

Usually by error. :smallwink:

Also, I would like to note that I am not opposed to the Playground attaching nicknames to any of the cards drafted. I would, in fact, encourage it. :smallbiggrin:

Ionbound
2014-03-01, 11:17 AM
I vote for the Funwalker. Gets us some nice, late-game beef early that is more-or-less guaranteed to go 2-1.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-01, 11:22 AM
(Also, my next update will be far, far more entertaining. It'll be in character!)

The Glyphstone
2014-03-01, 11:24 AM
As Gul'Dan himself, or Generic McWarlock?

Zevox
2014-03-01, 11:34 AM
I'm going to be merciful for the start of draft. Sunwalker for the present card, and I'll predict Chillwind Yeti.

Mind you, Angry Chicken predictions will be forthcoming later, but for now, bones will be thrown. :smallwink:

Cogwheel
2014-03-01, 11:47 AM
Much as I like the Adventurer in draft, yeah, let's go Sunwalker.

Edit: Prediction: Mortal Coil.

Much better in Constructed, but I love that spell so much.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-01, 12:16 PM
As Gul'Dan himself, or Generic McWarlock?
Gul'Dan. Except that I know nothing about Gul'Dan save the wiki linked above.

Which means I'm going to be developing Gul'Dan's character of my own accord.

This can only go horribly, horribly wrong. :smallwink:

Mind you, Angry Chicken predictions will be forthcoming later, but for now, bones will be thrown. :smallwink:
Bring it. :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2014-03-01, 12:26 PM
Let's get the Sunwalker here. I love that holy cow.

Prediction: Shadowflame.

Question, does the prediction expire with the next community pick or does it persist throughout the draft?

Neon Knight
2014-03-01, 12:41 PM
Sunwalker.

Prediction: Wisp.

Kish
2014-03-01, 01:35 PM
Sunwalker.

Prediction: Bane of Doom.

Ninjaman
2014-03-01, 01:47 PM
Sunwalker

Prediction: Ancient watcher

Math_Mage
2014-03-01, 03:18 PM
Moonrider pls

Predict: Argent Commander

Weimann
2014-03-01, 03:24 PM
Prediction: Wisp.

Prediction: Ancient watcher

y u do this :smallfrown: There are cards which are useless but funny. Those are just useless.

ShinyRocks
2014-03-01, 03:26 PM
Yeah, take the Sunwalker. She's great.

AgentPaper
2014-03-01, 04:39 PM
Well, was gunna vote for Mana Addict, but looks like the holy cow already won, so ah well.

Still, I can make a prediction, so I will, for Wisp. :belkar:

Fleeing Coward
2014-03-02, 08:03 AM
Sunwalker

Prediction: Sense Demons

Gandariel
2014-03-02, 08:19 AM
Sunwalker, of course.

Prediction: Mana Wraith

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-02, 01:56 PM
WHERE DID ALL THESE PEOPLE COME FROM????

*ahem*

Anyhow, my post will go up soon, but I did wish to note that I realized a very gaping flaw in my voting style: with a "first past the post" voting method, it's pointless to vote for other cards once one card wins. So here's the change I'll be making for future picks...

When I come back to the thread and find that the vote goal has been reached by one or more cards, I'll take the pick with the most votes.

So if a card breaches the vote goal soon enough, the other cards have a chance to win--by accruing more votes before I show up on the thread. (I know, it's a little arbitrary, but it's not like it's a major competition.)

(post incoming)

EDIT: answer to Weimann's question--predictions expire after each pick. Gul'Dan can only receive the oracles for a limited span of time! :smallwink: (i.e., any predictions placed with a pick will only persist for my two following picks, and reset when I turn to the Playground for picks again)

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-02, 03:03 PM
(For those who are major Warcraft lore buffs, I apologize. You may consider this Gul'Dan to be a completely alternate universe version.)

"Your SOUL shall be mine!"

"YOUR soul shall be MINE!"

"Your soul SHALL be mine!"

I can never get it to ring right. You'd think this sort of thing would come naturally to a guy who consults with the forces of darkness. I just can't get the hang of it. But I will, someday! The Horde depends on it. I depend on it. I must succeed. And to do that, I'm gonna have to get my catchphrase down pat. But that can wait, because I need an army to do that. So, down to the nearest friendly tavern.

Labeling a sign with "Wanted: Desperate People for Loot and Glory" is probably my best bet. In fact, it's already paying off! I've attracted a lot of attention from the get-go. Hurrah! This is going to work! My quest for unparalleled power begins! HAHA! *ahem* Time to give them a once-over...for my friends to discuss.

Uh, yeah. I'm not sure if they're demons or what (they don't exactly seem like demons, and I'm a little scared to delve any further), but I get advice from these creatures. It's like they whisper things into my ear. There's a lot of 'em. With that in mind, I glance up and see three applicants to my position. Alrighty, then.

"I saw your sign! AAHHH! It's an adventure! You're on an adventure, right?" I glance up at the fellow. He is...very enthusiastic and, ah, pumped-up. "Sir! You won't regret this!"

Oooooookay. I nod and smile and try to figure out something to say when the next applicant butts in. "So, what're you doing, hmmmmmmmmm?" It's an elf. Her dress is blood-red...hmmm. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or something I should be concerned about. She perks up and pauses. "You. I smell magic on you. I can...taste the mana." She takes a good long sniff about two inches from my face.

WHOA HOLD ON THERE MAJOR MAJOR CREEP-OUT. I maintain composure. I think. "Instantly backing away two feet" counts as maintaining composure, right? Still, I wonder--huh? Okay, I think I heard some voices steering me towards--whaaaaaaaat? But she's bonkers! I mean, I don't--

Aaaaand the third applicant is standing right there. A Tauren. A paladin. The only reason I didn't notice is because she's hardly six feet tall. I mean, who ever heard of a six-foot tauren? I swallow deeply, and meet her eyes. Actually, I think this is the first time I've been on tauren eye level. Oh, this is bad. What's a tauren doing in a place like this and why is she looking for work from a shady dude like me??? She's--she's gotta be out to get me. I know it.

HER.

What.

CHOOSE HER.

I don't even what?

SHE IS THE ONE.

That's...what are you thinking, voices in my head?? I mean--she's going to kill me when she finds out!

And of course, silence. *sigh* Fine. "Sign up right here, and welcome aboard!" She grunts. She has nice handwriting. I imagine her dexterity as she cuts me down effortlessly. *gulp* Alrighty, then.

And now I go to select some more candidates...and WHOOSH. Um, hello? Why am I trancing in the middle of the tavern, what are--images? Dancing before my eyes? An angry chicken, a snow-beast, fire and destruction, a great sentinel statue, a warrior with holy shield, a wraith--I don't understand. What is this guidance? I must...understand...

Sunwalker it is!

Oracles given: Wisp 2x, Mana Wraith, Sense Demons, Argent Commander, Ancient Watcher, Bane of Doom, Shadowflame, Mortal Coil, Chillwind Yeti, Angry Chicken

My picks: Scarlet Crusader (over Dalaran Mage and Dread Corsair) and Mortal Coil (over Novice Engineer and Gnomish Inventor)! Congratulations on the successful oracle!

When I come to, I look around the tavern and handle the stream of incoming applicants. I'm able to find a pure, naive, and good paladin-type to keep the Sunwalker happy. I'm sure they'll get along just fine. I can find ways to keep them going. I take some time back to think, and suddenly one of the oracles comes clearly into mind: a spell that drains life, bearing the semblance of a screaming skull. Huh....okay. When I come to, the image is burned into my mind, and there's a few more applicants milling around. What sort of weird tavern is this place?

Gadgetzan Auctioneer: (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Gadgetzan_Auctioneer) an expensive minion that gives card draw for spells.
Doomguard: (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Doomguard) an expensive demon with excellent stats who charges into the fray...but ditches two cards from my hand.
Pint-Sized Summoner: (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Pint-Sized_Summoner) Small, cute, and a low-health minion cost reducer.

The first gobliny fellow is...well...he looks like he has his face stuck in a permanent smile. "Do I hear 100? 200? 300 for a quest?" Yeah, that's kinda weird.

The next in line is a demon. ...huh. I didn't realize they palled around up here. Maybe there's a portal to the Hells in the back of the tavern. He seems to be stuffing his face with...something. "Mmph mmph mmph. Have a task to be performed, huh? Will there be souls to devour?" Oh...that's...a little unpleasant. But he probably won't demand much in the way of regular pay.

"HA!" says the gnome, rattling the table as she thumps her hands on it. I double-take. Is she really four feet tall? I didn't think they made gnomes that size. "I'm up for an adventure! Where there's monsters to be portaled in, I'm #1!"

Voices? Help?

Vote Goal: 6 (looks like we have a lot of interest!)
Hard Deadline: 3/4 at 8:00 PM (UTC-6/CST)

Kish
2014-03-02, 03:13 PM
Doomguard.

Predict Summoning Portal.

Ionbound
2014-03-02, 03:17 PM
DOOOOOM!! (Doomguard)

Prediction: Soul Siphon (A fella can hope, right?)

Olinser
2014-03-02, 03:21 PM
I vote Pint-Sized. Especially coined in turn 1, she can give a big advantage if she just lasts 1 or 2 turns, if she's dropped on turn 2 and survives you can drop a 4 drop next. Worst case she'll trade with another 2 drop or force a removal spell.

Doomguard just costs too much for me to like it. Even if you drop it and kill something, if they use a removal or trade another creature, they're still trading 2 for 3 cards.

AgentPaper
2014-03-02, 03:38 PM
I'll vote Goblin Auctioneer simply because he seems to creep out Gul'dan the most. :smallbiggrin:

And for predictions, I'll go for Nightblade, because everyone seems to underestimate her.

Weimann
2014-03-02, 04:00 PM
Discard two cards is just way too much, and Warlock's hero power has card draw covered. I say Pint-Sized Summoner.

Fleeing Coward
2014-03-02, 04:20 PM
Doomguard because it's better than the other two.
Voidwalker as my prediction.

Ninjaman
2014-03-02, 05:14 PM
Doomguard

Prediction: Harvest golem

Math_Mage
2014-03-02, 05:28 PM
dooooooooooooooooooom

The Glyphstone
2014-03-02, 06:04 PM
DOOOOOOOOOOOMguard.

Predicting Angry Chicken again.

Neon Knight
2014-03-02, 11:47 PM
Pick: Doomguard.
Prediction: Injured Blademaster.

Zevox
2014-03-02, 11:54 PM
The smart pick would be Gadgetzan. But we did the smart pick last time. Doomguard it is. You're a Warlock, you can just draw those cards right back :smalltongue: .

Prediction: Shadow Bolt. Still gonna stick to the actual good picks for now (especially since everyone else seems to have the whole "screwing you over" thing covered with their predictions), but changing it up.

Cogwheel
2014-03-03, 01:43 AM
Outnumbered here, but Gadgetzan Auctioneer. So much card draw.

SamBurke
2014-03-03, 10:13 AM
DOOOOOOOOOOOMguard.

Predicting Angry Chicken again.

You must hate him.

Predicting Water Elemental, my favorite Mage Card. :smallsmile:

And my vote goes to the Goblin, even though it's horribly outvoted.

Silfir
2014-03-03, 10:36 AM
The Doomguard instantly hits the battefield like a mack truck, and by clearing pesky opposing minions and commanding attention, it will save you lots of hero health that you can spend on your reliable card draw engine.

Kish
2014-03-03, 10:50 AM
Predicting Water Elemental, my favorite Mage Card. :smallsmile:
You do realize that a warlock cannot use/has no chance of having as a choice for arena, mage cards.

SamBurke
2014-03-03, 11:20 AM
You do realize that a warlock cannot use/has no chance of having as a choice for arena, mage cards.

... I also realize that I need memory help.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh. Uh... let's go with something that'll probably be good, and call it as Shattered Sun Cleric.

Bucky
2014-03-03, 04:33 PM
Pick: Pint-sized Summoner.
Because Warlock can never have too many 2-drops.

EDIT: Predicting River Crocolisk, for the same reason.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-03, 09:05 PM
Doom.

Doom.

DOOM.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Okay, okay, okay! I can take a hint! "You! With the souls! Come on! Just steer clear of some of the rest of the crew."

The demon sniffs. "Good. Be right back. Found dinner."

The gnome looks furious, but then a spark of magic catches her eye and she's off messing with a miniature portal that just opened up behind the barrels of ale. This tavern, I tell you. And it looks like the goblin's found a way to auction off a round of drinks to patrons. Good for him.

Picking Doomguard!
Oracles: Summoning Portal, Soul Siphon, Nightblade, Voidwalker, Harvest Golem, Angry Chicken, Injured Blademaster, Shadow Bolt, Shattered Sun Cleric, River Crocolisk

Drain Life over Stormwind Knight and Dark Iron Dwarf
Wolfrider over Reckless Rocketeer and Stonetusk Boar (cmon, really? It's like the draft hates me...)

The oracles sound in my head again, but they're just faint flashes, and I see nothing resembling them as I look out again. Prominent amongst them, yet again, was the spectre of a furious chicken, eyes blazing with anger. I shiver. Instead, I draw back and reflect on dark things, BROODING THINGS. I can do this! With the power of will, I can immerse myself in the arts of darkness! I take notes as I enter a brief trance, and find images of devouring little bits of souls. More souls all for me. POWER!!!!!!!! *ahem* I didn't say that out loud, did I? Don't want the demon to hear.

I manage to waylay an orc riding a wolf in the tavern. Except that the orc's doing...pushups? On the back of the wolf? I'm not gonna question it, because apparently it works. This rider's ready to shed some blood.

When I get back to the table, it looks like I've drawn a little attention. And I do mean a "little" attention. There's a murloc waiting there, hopping up and down, looking around expectantly. "Adventure? Did I see someone with an adventure? I wanna go on an adventure! I wanna see the world!" Whoa, hold on there. Lemme just ramble behind the table and check your cred--

Sploosh. Splosh.

I glance up. What the--?

It's a great big swampy thing. Wearing a "Gnomes & Gadgets" t-shirt. Gnomes & Gadgets. Isn't that the thing with the books and the dice that Blizzards Off the Coast makes? Oh....dear. It's coming my way. Shoot. What else is around...

OH SHOOT EYES IN MY FACE! "Need help?" Um. Okay. Now that I've backed up slightly. It's a night elf. She's dressed funny. Or do all night elves dress funny like that? She's just sorta staring me in the eyes I DON'T WANNA LOOK INTO THOSE EYES. She's not saying anything. It feels like she's ready to jump across the table and claw me or something. Ah.

Pick #7!
Murloc Raider (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Murloc_Raider): A total cheapo 2/1. Murloc. So, a little fishy fellow with legs and arms.
Fen Creeper (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Fen_Creeper): A more expensive version of Tazdingo, the Shieldmasta. Draws attacks and is (fairly) tough.
Priestess of Elune (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Priestess_of_Elune): A higher-end minion that heals my hero.

...have fun with all that. And predict away! I have a feeling the predictions will wind up being way more interesting than this round's pick.

Vote Goal: 6 votes needed for a pick
Hard Deadline: 9:00 PM on Wednesday, 3/4 (UTC-6/CST)

Bucky
2014-03-03, 09:21 PM
Pick: Fen Creeper, because good 5s are a lot harder to come by than good 6s and (in Warlock) non-horrible 1s.

Oracle: Blood Imp, a better choice for 1.

Postscript: Totally would have taken the Dwarf over Drain Life. It's a better way to trade up all those 2s you should be collecting.

AgentPaper
2014-03-03, 09:25 PM
Well, nothing funny to pick, so I guess Fen Creeper is at least the best of the worst. Prediction for Nightblade again, since she didn't show up yet.

Kish
2014-03-03, 09:45 PM
Fen Creeper.

Predict Alarm-O-Bot.

Zevox
2014-03-03, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Fen Creeper here. It's the smart pick, and the others are just bleh, not amusing.

Prediction: Hellfire. Because it's fun.

Oh, and passing up Dark Iron Dwarf? For something as meh as Drain Life? Screwing you over is our job, not yours. :smalltongue:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-03, 10:05 PM
Prediction: Hellfire. Because it's fun.
You might also get to hear Gul'Dan quoting Disney if it comes up.

Oh, and passing up Dark Iron Dwarf? For something as meh as Drain Life? Screwing you over is our job, not yours. :smalltongue:
Hey, it's my first time ever going Warlock. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2014-03-03, 10:18 PM
You might also get to hear Gul'Dan quoting Disney if it comes up.
Cool.

Still, you surely know how high-priority Dark Iron Dwarf is as an arena pick, right? So why would you think Drain Life was preferable?

Ionbound
2014-03-03, 10:21 PM
Vote: Fen Creeper

Prediction: Bloodmage Thalnos

Because if you get a legendary and I didn't screw you over, I would be quite unhappy.

Zevox
2014-03-03, 10:36 PM
Prediction: Bloodmage Thalnos

Because if you get a legendary and I didn't screw you over, I would be quite unhappy.
Watch as he gets a legendary and the picks are Ragnaros, Millhouse Manastorm, and Lorewalker Cho. :smalltongue:

Olinser
2014-03-03, 11:59 PM
Fen Creeper.

Why did you pick Drain Life over Dark Iron Dwarf? Also, I'm confused. Why are you picking cards? I thought the point was for us to draft a whole deck, not just a few picks.

Zevox
2014-03-04, 12:28 AM
Also, I'm confused. Why are you picking cards? I thought the point was for us to draft a whole deck, not just a few picks.
Read the first post. He picks two for each one we do - most likely because of time concerns (it's taken us a couple of days to through two picks, so how long do you think a full draft would take if we were picking every single card by vote?). For those though we have the whole "prediction" thing to influence them, which is fun as well I'd say.

Destro_Yersul
2014-03-04, 12:28 AM
Yeah, go with Fen Creeper.

Also, I predict JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION.

For funsies.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-04, 12:39 AM
Read the first post. He picks two for each one we do - most likely because of time concerns (it's taken us a couple of days to through two picks, so how long do you think a full draft would take if we were picking every single card by vote?). For those though we have the whole "prediction" thing to influence them, which is fun as well I'd say.
Righto. It's my way of compromising between the two so that it's done in a reasonable amount of time (I don't feel like spending a month on a draft :smallbiggrin: and the thread would no doubt die down long before then) but still allows for influence.

As for the rest, you can count my inexperience for some of it. I'd normally pick Dark Iron Dwarf, but I'm a bit more uncertain of myself when drafting Warlock.

Also, I will laugh riotously if I get Jaraxxus predicted correctly.

Math_Mage
2014-03-04, 12:55 AM
Pick Fen Creeper.

Predict Tinkmaster Overspark.

Fleeing Coward
2014-03-04, 12:59 AM
Fen Creeper

No Warlock deck is complete without a Soulfire.

Gandariel
2014-03-04, 06:13 AM
Fen Creeper.

Prediction: Hellfire of DOOOOOOOOOOM!

Cogwheel
2014-03-04, 07:21 AM
Fen Creeper

Prediction: Soulfire. I do so love that spell.

Ninjaman
2014-03-04, 08:04 AM
Fen creeper

Prediction: Siphon Soul

SamBurke
2014-03-04, 10:14 AM
My prediction this time will be... hm... Murloc Raider. Because why not mess around? :nale:

The Glyphstone
2014-03-04, 10:59 AM
Sure, Fen Creeper.

and predicting ANGRY CHICKEN again, dammit.

ImperatorV
2014-03-04, 11:11 AM
Pick Fen Creeper.

Predict Sylvanus.

ShinyRocks
2014-03-04, 01:19 PM

But ... Dwarf. Dwarf is Dwarf. He should almost always be taken.

Take Fen Creeper.

Prediction: Earthen Ring Farseer again.

Weimann
2014-03-04, 02:48 PM
Fen Creeper, Fen Creeper, creeping in the fens.
Won't you come with me and help me kill my friends?

On the whole Drain Life vs Dwarf thing, I've still not seen conclusive evidence why the Dwarf is so great. Earlier, when the +2 attack stuck around, I could totally see it. Now, it feels like it's mostly a 4/4 for 4, which is okayish but certainly not great. The Battlecry helps in one trade, and I guess that's situationally good, but my instinctive pick would have been the Stormwind Knight. He gets to pick engagements due to Charge, and 5 health lets him trade 2-for-1 very often.

ShinyRocks
2014-03-04, 03:03 PM
Well, +2 helps with a trade, yes, but it's a big help. Suddenly a Raptor can take out a Yeti. A Shieldmasta can take out a Yeti and stay on the field. A Paladin recruit can kill a Grizzly. A Boulderfist Ogre can take out an Ironbark. Or Ragnaros! Dwarf lets you trade upwards, lets you trade 1 minion for something that might otherwise require 2, and lets you save your hard removal. Or he can even give you Lethal and let you finish the game when you otherwise couldn't. (Witness my game the other day where I had a Warlock down to 1 health but couldn't finish him and he then topdecked Jaraxxus and ended up winning.)

Dwarf is situational, sure, but there's a whole lotta situations where he's great.

Math_Mage
2014-03-04, 03:28 PM
Fen Creeper, Fen Creeper, creeping in the fens.
Won't you come with me and help me kill my friends?

On the whole Drain Life vs Dwarf thing, I've still not seen conclusive evidence why the Dwarf is so great. Earlier, when the +2 attack stuck around, I could totally see it. Now, it feels like it's mostly a 4/4 for 4, which is okayish but certainly not great. The Battlecry helps in one trade, and I guess that's situationally good, but my instinctive pick would have been the Stormwind Knight. He gets to pick engagements due to Charge, and 5 health lets him trade 2-for-1 very often.
Knight is better with an empty board against a 3/2. Dwarf is better in just about every other situation.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-05, 12:23 AM
(Hmmmm. I learn more. Initially, I figured that Drain Life was necessary to cope with the Warlock's weaknesses--being prone to taking damage. The reasoning behind Dwarf makes a lot of sense, though. I didn't realize it was so incredibly valued--I knew it was a good card, but didn't consider how much so.)

Okay. Sticky situation. Hoppy murloc by the table, night elf staring me down, and this giant swamp thing with the funny shirt is stepping my way. What's wrong with my life? Fortunately, somebody makes the mistake of getting the night elf's attention--and a little more than they bargained for. The murloc scurries off, and the swamp creature steps up.

"Adventure," it rumbles. "XP."

"Right here on the line!" I explain, then look around to see what's next.

Fen Creeper!

Oracles: Hellfire 2x, Soulfire 2x, Earthen Ring Farseer, Blood Imp, Nightblade, Alarm-O-Bot (oh good gracious), Sylvanus Windrunner, ANGRY CHICKEN, Murloc Raider, Siphon Soul, Tinkmaster Overspark, Jaraxxus, Bloodmage Thalnos

I take some time to consult my books and scribble together an effective summoning for one of my old reliable friends. I put in a little extra effort to make sure it catches the infernal at a convenient time, somewhere between tending fires and handling condemnations. And when I looked up? My hired wolf-rider had found a sullen buddy and signed her up as well.

Dread Infernal over Scarlet Crusader and Silvermoon Guardian (I was a bit uncertain here, but getting a solid-strong character that doubles as a Whirlwind is what I want, I'm thinking. I continue to learn the mystery of drafting...)
Wolfrider over Novice Engineer and Mogu'shan Warden (*sigh*)

I look up, and there's another murloc wander by the table, one who looks a lot more in-charge and experienced than the little hopper. That's better. But the fella's looking everywhere, all nervously. Like there's somebody just around the corner. Okay, then. I'm not sure if this one's for me. Then the murloc gives a startled jump.

There's a crab! It scuttles around, snapping at the murloc...very voraciously, in fact. It's also probably the clumsiest crab I've seen. Blazing brimstone--the thing's lagging by at least half a second! Oh, well, there it goes. Chasing the murloc in circles. If I wanted to, I could probably let them be.

Can't say the same for--whatever--comes by--next. What...is...that? It's tall, slim, and has really freaky armor...and there's just something...off...about it. I can't even stand to look it in the eye. Am I shaking? I'm not shaking! I'm just going to have a look, pick someone for the team, and that'll be it!

It's not gonna be that last one, right?

I hope. Voices? Please don't do the scary thing.

Murloc Warleader (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Murloc_Warleader): Gives a big buff to all the other murlocs I have on the board.
Hungry Crab: (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Hungry_Crab): Eats a murloc to gain a sizeable buff; also a cheap minion. That's a horrific misuse of causal logic, by the way.
Faceless Manipulator (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Faceless_Manipulator): Copy another minion. Full stop.

Pick well, and oracle better! Also, I think that "every third pick" manages to hit the rarer cards pretty frequently.

Vote Goal: 6 votes
Hard Deadline: 8 PM 3/6 (UTC-6/CST)

Cogwheel
2014-03-05, 12:30 AM
Faceless Manipulator. No question about it.

Prediction: Hellfire

(Also, good call on the Infernal.)

The Glyphstone
2014-03-05, 12:33 AM
Faceless Manipulator, without question.

and again, I predict the ANGRY CHICKEN.......

Destro_Yersul
2014-03-05, 12:49 AM
take the Faceless, if only because it scares Gul'dan.

I predict... Raging Worgen

Zevox
2014-03-05, 01:17 AM
I'm going Hungry Crab. Because nobody ever takes those.

Predicting: Succubus. Because I've predicted enough good cards, so have one of Warlock's not-so-good ones.

Fleeing Coward
2014-03-05, 02:22 AM
As tempted as I am to troll with Hungry Crab, I'll vote Manipulator
My 8-ball says there's a Demonfire in your future.

ShinyRocks
2014-03-05, 03:07 AM
Take the Faceless Manipulator.

Prediction of Flame Imp.

Gandariel
2014-03-05, 05:12 AM
Faceless, of course.

I'll predict Thrallmar Farseer. Just because i want to prove the world that it isn't *that* bad

Weimann
2014-03-05, 06:36 AM
Admittedly, if the crab gets to eat an opponent murloc, it becomes the best 1-drop in the game. But yeah, it's Faceless Manipulator. Sorry, Gul'dan, that's what you get for being evil.

Ninjaman
2014-03-05, 07:11 AM
Faceless manipulator

Prediction: Scarlet Crusader

Kish
2014-03-05, 08:04 AM
Faceless Manipulator.

Prediction: Doomguard.

ShinyRocks
2014-03-05, 08:23 AM
I wish Crab got a buff every time he killed a Murloc. Then I would play him in every deck, forever.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-05, 10:04 AM
I wish Crab got a buff every time he killed a Murloc. Then I would play him in every deck, forever.
"I HUNGER FOR MURLOC BLOOD."

Yeah, I wish there were more generally-useful choices in this round of picks, instead of one hard-and-fast winner. (I mean, would there ever be a reason to go murloc-heavy in Arena?)

That said, I appreciate the Hungry Crab trolling. :smalltongue:

Ionbound
2014-03-05, 10:07 AM
Behold the Faceless!

Oracle: Shadowbolt

Neon Knight
2014-03-05, 10:31 AM
Faceless Manipulator.

Prediction: Going crazy here... LORD JARAXXUS!

Bucky
2014-03-05, 11:03 AM
Pick: Faceless Manipulator
Oracle: Amani Berserker, because you just had to go for the Dread Infernal instead of an early play.

Commentary: Dread Infernal is fine in a vacuum, but is anti-synergistic with Warlock and with your deck in particular. It's good at cleaning up things like Blood Imp, as well as Wolf Riders and Scarlet Crusader. Also, Warlock is the most curve-dependent class, while Dread Infernal is expensive AND punishes you for having cheap creatures out.

SamBurke
2014-03-05, 11:07 AM
Heh. Does my Faceless Manipulator vote even matter anymore? :smalltongue:

Olinser
2014-03-05, 11:20 AM
Faceless Manipulator. Clear winner, almost impossible to actually get good value out of Murlocs.

AgentPaper
2014-03-05, 02:08 PM
Faceless Manipulator

Nightblade

Math_Mage
2014-03-05, 04:52 PM
Pick: Faceless Manipulator
Prediction: Siphon Soul
Comment: I would normally pick Scarlet Crusader over Dread Infernal. But I guess Vorthos plays a bigger role than usual in this draft. :smalltongue:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-06, 11:22 PM
Nyeurrrrrrrgh. I spent too much time watching anime. :smalltongue: I'll do a just-for-fun writeup tomorrow, but for now--I'll stick my picks in a spoiler box.

Faceless Manipulator, easy-peasy.

Oracles: Hellfire, ANGRY CHICKEN, Raging Worgen, Succubus, Demonfire, Flame Imp, Thrallmar Farseer, Scarlet Crusader, Doomguard, Shadowbolt, Jaraxxus, Amani Berserker, Nightblade, Siphon Soul

Aaaaaaand...
Blood Imp over Gnomish Inventor and Magma Rager
Sense Demons over Lord of the Arena and Youthful Brewmaster

Those are both pretty obvious choices, right?

And if you care to pick...next up is Demonfire vs. Tauren Warrior vs. Summoning Portal. Tomorrow, when I have more brains, descriptions and fun Gul'Dan storytimes are goin' up!

Cogwheel
2014-03-06, 11:30 PM
Demonfire? Demonfire.

Zevox
2014-03-06, 11:44 PM
Aaaaaaand...
Blood Imp over Gnomish Inventor and Magma Rager
Sense Demons over Lord of the Arena and Youthful Brewmaster

Those are both pretty obvious choices, right?
The first is, more or less. Gnomish Inventor is pretty darn good too, but Blood Imp probably beats it out, even post-nerf.

The second, no, not at all. Sense Demons is not a good card even in constructed, because most demons aren't particularly good (Blood Imp, Flame Imp, and Dread Infernal being the only exceptions, and even there Flame Imp is only good for aggro and Dread Infernal is outshone by lots of other high-costs). In Arena it's even worse, because you have no control over how many demons you end up with, and whether they're the good ones or not. Youthful Brewmaster was the pick there.

And if you care to pick...next up is Demonfire vs. Tauren Warrior vs. Summoning Portal. Tomorrow, when I have more brains, descriptions and fun Gul'Dan storytimes are goin' up!
I'm going Summoning Portal, because I'm through picking the smart choices and gonna take the funny ones. :smalltongue:

Bucky
2014-03-07, 12:49 AM
Pick: Demonfire because of your hitherto blatant disregard of curve.
Oracle: Youthful Brewmaster, who really deserves a second chance.

The Glyphstone
2014-03-07, 12:55 AM
Demonfire.

Oracle: Furious Poultry.

Fleeing Coward
2014-03-07, 01:01 AM
Demonfire
I predict Chillwind Yeti because you seriously need to get some good cards.

Math_Mage
2014-03-07, 02:40 AM
Pick: Demonfire
Prediction: Flame Imp
Comment: It's 'cause I haven't played with/against nerfed Blood Imp, I'm sure, but I think Gnomish Inventor is better. With Brewmaster it's much less of a contest.

Ninjaman
2014-03-07, 02:48 AM
Demonfire
Prediction: Murloc raider

banthesun
2014-03-07, 03:14 AM
Pick: Summoning Portal
Prediction: Bane of Doom

Gotta run them crazy plays! :smallcool:

Kish
2014-03-07, 07:29 AM
Demonfire.

Prediction: Felguard.

Weimann
2014-03-09, 08:25 AM
Summoning Portal can be useful, but Demonfire is instant and flexible.

Kish
2014-03-17, 07:29 PM
Did this die?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-03-18, 08:29 AM
I'm gonna call it...stasis? I lost track of it for long enough, but I will be finishing it. The warlock deck is still in my arena "queue", being built. The first half of this week is frontloaded with nights where I'm doing things, but I should be able to pull out half-hour sessions on subsequent days.

Epinephrine_Syn
2014-03-18, 12:04 PM
... most demons aren't particularly good (Blood Imp, Flame Imp, and Dread Infernal being the only exceptions, and even there Flame Imp is only good for aggro and Dread Infernal is outshone by lots of other high-costs). ...

JARAXXUS IS SAD.

In any case..
Pick: Demonfire
Oracle: Youthful Brewmaster, cause I agree with the sentiment

Zevox
2014-03-18, 03:53 PM
JARAXXUS IS SAD.
Jaraxxus isn't a minion, so I didn't think of him.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-19, 07:48 PM
Aaaaaand the inevitable. :smallfrown:

I've not got much bandwidth to keep so many things going, and I've wised up to the fact that I need to trim down my stuff. Unfortunately, lengthy fictional updates (while fun) are seriously taxing on the bandwidth of the stuff I can do outside of work. Along with my other RL responsibilities, it's too much. I'll be posting my final picks and win record, though! (So that you can all groan at my newbie Warlock picks. :smallwink: )

Demonfire over Tauren Warrior and Summoning Portal

Okay, hilarity: we got an Oracle pick! I technically don't have to be honoring these any more, but the coincidence is really too funny.

Youthful Brewmaster over Ironbeak Owl and Darkscale Healer
Mortal Coil over Stonetusk Boar and Mogu'shan Warden
Stranglethorn Tiger over Sacrificial Pact and Tauren Warrior
Reckless Rocketeer over Wolfrider and Power Overwhelming
Dalaran Mage over Sense Demons and Gubrashi Berserker (here, I figure that the Mage might be useful, while I don't have many ways to trigger Gubrashi)
Mortal Coil over Drain Life and Oasis Snapjaw
Wild Pyromancer over Shadowflame and Coldlight Seer (ehehehehehe I can't help myself...FUEGO FUEGO FUEGO!)
Faceless Manipulator over Molten Giant and Bane of Doom
Flame Imp over Mortal Coil and Drain Life
Soulfire over Sense Demons and Acolyte of Pain
Shadow Bolt over Frostwolf Warlord and Corruption
Worgen Infiltrator over Razorfen Hunter and Blood Imp
Mad Bomber over Silvermoon Guardian and Argent Squire (because why not?)
Stormwind Champion over Sense Demons and Summoning Portal
Abusive Sergeant over Stormpike Commando and Drain Life
Shadow Bolt over Magma Rager and Spiteful Smith
Siphon Soul over Coldlight Seer and Argent Commander

Well, here goes! This is gonna go...interestingly.

Soulfire
Mortal Coil 3x
Abusive Sergeant
Blood Imp
Flame Imp
Worgen Infiltrator
Demonfire
Mad Bomber
Wild Pyromancer
Youthful Brewmaster
Drain Life
Sense Demons
Shadow Bolt 2x
Dalaran Mage
Scarlet Crusader
Wolfrider 2x
Doomguard
Faceless Manipulator 2x
Fen Creeper
Stranglethorn Tiger
Siphon Soul
Dread Infernal
Reckless Rocketeer
Sunwalker
Stormwind Champion

Highlights: Fen Creeper and Blood Imp, followed by Funwalker after the Fen Creeper died, Faceless Manipulator on the Funwalker, and after they both died later, Doomguard and Faceless the Doomguard.

Also, ALL HAIL FUNWALKER.

In an infuriating moment, my enemy plays a Mad Bomber when their only other minion is a Lightspawn. All three damage unloads onto Gul'Dan. :smallfurious:

Oh, and I went on to lose that game, but I did take my opponent down from 30 Health to 9, whilst I was at 6 Health. A pesky Elf archer nicked me down to 5, and then the next turn my opponent Mind Blasted me. My final loss. Oh well. That would've been an epic comeback had it worked.

Final standings: an inglorious 2-3, with rewards of a pack and 40 gold FOR SCIENCE. Pack had Ironbeak Owl, Inner Rage, Blessing of Wisdom, Mana Tide Totem, and Wrath.

Well, thanks for hangin' around and contributing, folks! I'm real sorry I wasn't able to see it through to the end, but I figure it's best to make a clean break of it. :smallfrown: I'll catch y'all around!