PDA

View Full Version : Targetteer Optimization - Uses for threat range -1-20?

Rebel7284
2014-02-28, 11:48 PM
So I have looked at Targetteer Figher in Dragon Magazine#310 for the first time and I noticed that in addition to the usually touted Dex to damage, they can also get the following abilities.

Special Abilities: The targetteer may choose any of the following special abilities in place of a bonus feat:

Arrow Swarm: By taking a -5 penalty to all attack rolls for a round, the targetteer may make two additional ranged attacks at his highest attack bonus. The targetteer must have the Rapid Shot feat to take this ability and must be making a full attack to make use of Arrow Swarm.
Sniper: When using the full attack option, the targetteer can sacrifice attacks to gain deadly accuracy. For each attack from a full attack sacrificed. The threat range of the targetteer's weapon increases by 1. Thus if the targetteer's ranged attack normally has a threat range of 19-20, sacrificing one attack from a full attack would increase The Threat range to 18-20. A sacrificed attack only enhances the next anack. However. a targetteer can sacrifice multiple attacks to further increase the threat range. A targetteer cannot sacrifice all attacks from a full attack action.

While double flurry at level 1 is amusing, I am more intrigued by an uncapped ability to boost your threat range.

Be a Diopsid or non-psionc tri-kreen for 4 arms.

+1 Keen Great Crossbow starts you off at 15-20 shooting Kaorti Resin arrows.
Another bow or crossbow in your off hands to get TWF.

Alternatively, if your DM allows, you can have armor spike attacks that you "skip" and avoid needing extra arms. If this also works with natural attacks, that's even better. (Bloodwind spell to make natural attacks work at range may be called for)

Attacks:
+4: at least 16 BAB
+1: Two Weapon Fighting
+1: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
+1: Greater Two Weapon Fighting
+2: Arrow Swarm
+1: Whirling Frenzy Barbarian
+1: Rapid Shot
+4: Raging Mongoose
+1: Haste/Boots of Speed/Weapon of Speed

This gives threat range of -1/20, but due to the nature of the d20, it's pretty useless to have more than 2-20.

I would imagine a build would look something like:
Barbarian 1/Targetteer Figher 2/x 1/Warblade 16

Can anyone think of a good use for this, besides a silly pile of numbers. :)

Irk
2014-03-01, 12:02 AM
Sure, Lightning Mace + aptitude for infinite attacks.

EDIT: Kaorti Resin arrows don exist. The entry provides Kaorti armor and a kaorti resin dagger but the x4 critical multiplier is extrapolated as a price for kaorti is never actually given. Either Serrated or Laminated gives +1 multiplier.

Also, maybe polymorph into an arrow demon and use arrowsplit?

Also, any of the Weapon enhancements that trigger on a hit such as the one that gives negative levels.

Rebel7284
2014-03-01, 12:19 AM
I have considered something like throwing + returning pair of light maces (and of course aptitude is a standard trick for that too) however, don't you need snap kick to generate a second attack? Otherwise you eventually roll a 1.

Anyway, infinite attacks are bad, so perhaps that's for the best if this build can't do that. =)

Irk
2014-03-01, 01:17 AM
I have considered something like throwing + returning pair of light maces (and of course aptitude is a standard trick for that too) however, don't you need snap kick to generate a second attack? Otherwise you eventually roll a 1.

Anyway, infinite attacks are bad, so perhaps that's for the best if this build can't do that. =)
Lightning maces is enough. However, without infinite attacks, your best bet is to load every single weapon enhancements involving crits (bursts and the like) on to the bow.