PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] One Hand Free

Thurbane
2014-03-01, 02:13 AM
Just wondering what benefits there are from having a hand free in combat. Usually, you are better off two handing a weapon, or carrying a shield (although buckler lets you use a shield and still have a hand free).

Manipulating items is the obvious one. What else?
Einhander feat.
Deflect Arrows/Snatch Arrows feats.
Disarm and grab opponents weapon.

What other options are there with a free hand?

Cheers - T

shylocke
2014-03-01, 03:04 AM
Hand signals

gorfnab
2014-03-01, 03:22 AM
Snatch Weapon feat
Duelist - Precise Strike class feature
Bladesinger PrC (CW and RoF versions) - multiple abilities

Here is an Einhander Duelist build that I made some time ago.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2.

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (if flaws are allowed and pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

Crake
2014-03-01, 04:03 AM
Casting spells :smalltongue:

Juntao112
2014-03-01, 04:12 AM
Punching people.

Seffbasilisk
2014-03-01, 06:06 AM
Climbing, swinging on a rope, drow hand sign, potion, wand, flick of the wrist throwing knife, alchemical item, disarm (while unarmed to take weapon away), duelling cloak, somatic components, level for the portcullis, holding the rock with Light cast upon it....

Red Fel
2014-03-01, 09:25 AM
The Shadow Hand stances Balance on the Sky and Dance of the Spider each require one hand free. With the latter, it makes sense - you're able to climb a la Spider Climb.

We don't quite get the former.

weckar
2014-03-01, 09:31 AM
Spellcasting is the big one.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-01, 10:45 AM
Making obscene gestures at your enemy.

Particle_Man
2014-03-01, 11:41 AM
Does turning undead require one to hold one's holy symbol (presumably in a hand)?

Anyhow, dragging a fallen ally out of combat (if strong enough). Engaging in a one-handed grapple (with the right feats). Grabbing something cool in combat (even off of an enemy!).

hymer
2014-03-01, 11:48 AM
Get enough Sleight of Hand, and you can use free actions to steal from your enemies while you fight them.

Does turning undead require one to hold one's holy symbol (presumably in a hand)?

It requires that you 'present' your holy symbol. Which could be interpreted in several ways, I think.

Palanan
2014-03-01, 01:08 PM
Years ago I came across a third-party feat called Fencing Stance, or something like that, which granted a +2 on AC if you fight with a light weapon and your off-hand free. I haven't been able to find it again, and I've never seen it mentioned on the Playground, so it's probably fairly dodgy and/or perishingly obscure.

Vedhin
2014-03-01, 06:54 PM
Dragon Compendium has Single Blade Style, a feat that can get you +2 AC if you have Combat Reflexes and Weapon Focus.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-03-01, 06:56 PM
You can switch carrying an item from two hands to one hand and vice-versa as a free action, so anything that requires a free hand can still be done with a two-hander unless it requires it during the attack.

Thurbane
2014-03-02, 12:12 AM
You can switch carrying an item from two hands to one hand and vice-versa as a free action, so anything that requires a free hand can still be done with a two-hander unless it requires it during the attack.
Well, for things like Deflect Arrows, you need a hand free when it's not your turn. And if you only have one hand on a two-handed weapon when it's not your turn, you forego AoO.

hymer
2014-03-02, 03:11 AM
Well, for things like Deflect Arrows, you need a hand free when it's not your turn. And if you only have one hand on a two-handed weapon when it's not your turn, you forego AoO.

And if your DM is doing as he's supposed to and putting in ad-hoc limits to how many free actions you can do in a round, getting rid of the 'take hand off weapon' and 'put hand back on weapon' free actions could do some difference.

Psyren
2014-03-02, 03:15 AM
Casting spells :smalltongue:

...with somatic components. [/nitpick]

Surprised it took that long for this to be mentioned tbh

Coidzor
2014-03-02, 03:22 AM
And if your DM is doing as he's supposed to and putting in ad-hoc limits to how many free actions you can do in a round, getting rid of the 'take hand off weapon' and 'put hand back on weapon' free actions could do some difference.

That's less "get rid of different types of free actions" and more "don't let free actions go overboard, especially multiple types," so your interpretation is kinda doing it wrong for no other reason than to be malicious. :smallconfused:

hymer
2014-03-02, 04:28 AM
@ Coidzor: Could you elaborate? Especially on the part where I was apparently being malicious? Because I just don't see it.

Edit: I think I may guess, sorta, maybe. But look at my earlier post in this thread about Sleight of Hand, which is where I'm coming from with the post you quoted. I'm imagining a guy using free actions to pilfer stuff from someone he is fighting. I think it'd be perfectly fair for the DM to say 'look, you can do two attempts as free actions per round when you're using a one-handed weapon, but only one if you're using a two-handed weapon' e.g.