PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Warframe: Parkour Ninjas from the Ethereal Plane (WiP, PEACH)

Mavakith
2014-03-01, 09:02 AM
Hi playgrounders, I've been lurking around the playground for a few years now but haven't been posting much. Not very much at all. However I am deeply impressed and admired alot of the homebrew stuff around here.

Anyways, while I'm planning a new campaign for my group, my players challenged me: "you've been going to the Playground for a few years now, why don't you brew something for us?"

They had it all planned. Turned out ALL five of them have been addicted to the PC / PS4 game "Warframe", and would like me to create a base class similiar to the player character, but I have no idea how.

So help would be much appreaciated.

Here's a link to the Warframe wiki: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

I'm aiming for High Tier 3 and here's my ideas:

Class name: Tenno
Main ability: Warframe (similiar to how Binder bind Vestiges)
Weapons Prof: Warframe specific weapons

Warframe: Armor Class, force-fieldish Shield, speed and abilities varies for each frame

Melee Weapons: Dual Wield, two-handed weapon, one-handed weapon, Melee-Thrown Weapons, Unarmed Strike

Ranged Weapons: Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Shotguns

So. Does this sound like a project people will want to help with? Any ideas?

I would like ask ideas to implement a "self-regenarating force-shield" effect..
temp. HP? DR similiar to Stoneskin? what do y'all think?

Please go nuts!

Mavakith
2014-03-01, 09:06 AM
Tenno

The Tenno are the creations of an ancient and mystical civilization who have abandoned the Material Plane for the Ethereal Plane nearly ten millennia ago. The creatures from the ancient civilization refer to themselves as "Khen-Zai".

At the very start, it was an accident. A virus, the "Technocyte Virus" as it was later called, was created as a bioweapon by the "Khen-Zai" and experiemented upon on other inhabitants of the Material Plane. The symptoms was a metallic crust that forms on the skin and the transformation was so painful that it leads to the eventual lost of sanity. However, a being whom race was lost in time, known only as "Ayden Tenno" was the only one that survived as he lacked the ability to perceive pain. Instead of going insane, Ayden developed various abilities such as exo-armor, peak physical attitubutes and various supernatual abilities. Ayden tried to take retribution against the "Khen-Kai" with his newfound powers, but he was no match against a whole civilization.

Instead of ending his life, his captors performed more experiements on him, his blood and flesh used to create more mind-controlled foot soldiers like himself. Named "Tenno" in memory of Ayden, the Tenno were to be used for "cleansing of the Planes" once the experiements are complete. However, something happened before the completion and the "Khen-Zai" abaddoned the Material Plane for Ethereal Plane, forced to perserve their "subjects" in cryostasis until their return.

Ten millennia have passed and the "Khen-Zai", aberrations known by scholars as Ethergaunts, have returned, and they view the current inhabitants of the Material Plane as vermin infesting their ancient homeworld, and seek to exterminate them. The Ethergaunts remembered the foot soldiers they have created millennias ago that was preserved in cryostasis and proceeded to wake them from their cryopods.

Awakening from deep slumber by their creators, the Tenno discovered that they are now free-willed individuals, maybe the legacy of Ayden Tenno still runs in the Tenno's blood, maybe because the experiemtns wasn't complete, but the Tenno are now free to follow their hearts, provided that they escape from their hated creators. They bidded their time, acting as though the Ethergaunts still have power over them, and they constructed various "Tenno Weapons" with the advanced technological knowledge their creators have inputted into their minds before their departure.

Although time spending in cryostasis for millennia has taken its toll, the memories of the Tenno have faded over time, however, their mastery of guns, blades, and their "Khen-Zai” created exo-armor “Warframe” has not, nor their hatred against the abberations that did unspeakable experiments on them. When the time was right, they slain all their self-proclamined masters' experiment facilities, and flee to the Material Plane. The Tenno are emerging into a world unfamiliar to them.

Adventures: Why your class might adventure.

Characteristics: What your class is capable of.

Alignment: Any. One might be a noble warrior, building his strength against an oppressive regime. Other might be an opportunistic mercenary, exploiting the Warframe's superiority for wealth. Another might be a ruthless killer, massacring hundreds just because they wanted to. Be all you like, as long as you can survive in this harsh world.

Religion: Any. Deities are unheard of before the Tenno went into cryostasis, but now this is a whole new world to the Tenno. The Tenno requires all the help they need to survive and adapt. Religion might just be one of the answers.

Background: How you become part of your class and why.

Races: What races most often have members of your class, as well as any races that cannot join, along with why.

Other Classes: They appear humanoid, but their mysterious nature, and the ancient Warframe technology that they wear, creates the possibility that they are something more. Most classes

Role: What your class does in and for a party.

Adaptation: How a DM might change your class to fit into their campaign or unique world setting.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Tenno's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: A brief description of what ability scores are important to your class.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Starting Age: As Wizard
Starting Gold: As Wizard

Class Skills
The Tenno's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...

Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Tenno
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Tenno Weapons, Tenno Suit|
2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Evasion, Deflect Arrows|
3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Parkour Mastery|
4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Warframe: Starter|
5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Warframe I, Spin Attack|
6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Technocyte Virus|
7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|Sentinel|
8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+2|Warframe: Elemental|
9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+3|Dangerous Tenno Weapons, Running Spin Attack|
10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+3|Dual Warframe, Warframe II|
11th|
+8|
+7|
+7|
+3|Improved Evasion, Deflect Rays|
12th|
+9|
+8|
+8|
+4|Warframe: Speciality, Technocyte Virus|
13th|
+9|
+8|
+8|
+4|Extend Spin Attack|
14th|
+10|
+9|
+9|
+4|Greater Sentinel|
15th|
+11|
+9|
+9|
+5|Warframe III|
16th|
+12|
+10|
+10|
+5|Warframe: Alignment|
17th|
+12|
+10|
+10|
+5|Lethal Tenno Weapons|
18th|
+13|
+11|
+11|
+6|Technocyte Virus|
19th|
+14|
+11|
+11|
+6|Planeshift|
20th|
+15|
+12|
+12|
+6|Prime Warframe, Warframe IV|[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Tenno.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Tenno is proficient with all simple weapons and their chosen Tenno weapons.

Tenno Weapons(Ex):

Tenno Suit (Ex):

Evasion (Ex): As Rogue ability of same name. Gains Improbed Evasion at level 11.

Deflect Arrows (Ex): As feat

Spin Attack (Ex): At 5th level, a Tenno gain the feat Whirlwind attack and the Tenno can use Whirlwind attack as standard action. At 9th level, a Tenno can use Whirlwind attack after a charge. And at 13th level, a Tenno can add 5ft to the range of her Whirlwind attack.

Parkour Mastery At 3rd level a Tenno gains the ability to take part of one of his move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if he begin and end his move on a horizontal surface. The height he can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If he do not end his move on a horizontal surface, he fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for his distance above the ground. Treat the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring your movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; you can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as he move up the wall.

At 8th level a Tenno gains the ability to walk or run across surfaces that wouldn’t otherwise allow such passage (such as water, quicksand, rough terrain, floors on the verge of collapse, etc.). The Tenno must begin and end their movement on a surface capable of supporting their weight (and making any balance checks that might be required for narrow surfaces) but may otherwise treat such surfaces as normal terrain. If the character does not end their movement on a surface capable of sustaining their weight then they are treated as if they had just stepped unto it at the end of their turn. For example, a Tenno crossing water will fall into it and need to begin swimming. However, this movement does not protect the Tenno (in any way) from any hazards the surface might have. Crossing lava, for example, would deal damage to the character as if they’d been splashed with it for every five feet that they cross, making it a very dangerous prospect.

Warframe: Starter(Su):

Warframe (Su):

Sentinel (Su): Sentinels are hovering companions that follow their Tenno masters around and assist in various ways, dependent on the exact type of Sentinel built. Sentinels comes in five varities: Sweeper , Deathcube , Shade , Djinn and Wyrm.

Warframe: Elemental (Su):

Dual Warframe (Su):

Deflect Rays (Ex): As feat

Warframe: Speciality (Su):

Warframe: Alignment (Su):

Greater Sentinel (Su):

Prime Warframe (Su):

Mavakith
2014-03-01, 09:08 AM
Warframes

Starter frames:

Excalibur: melee
Slash Dash, Radial Blind, Super Jump, Radial Javelin

Loki: stealth
Decoy, Invisibility, Switch Teleport, Radial Disarm

Mag: crowd control
Pull, Shield Polarize, Bullet Attractor, Crush

Elemental frames:

Banshee: sonic based
Sonic Boom, Sonar, Silence, Sound Quake

Ember: fire based
Fireball, Accelerant, Fireblast, World On Fire

Frost: cold based
Freeze, Ice Wave, Snow Globe, Avalanche

Saryn: acid based
Venom, Molt, Contagion, Miasma

Volt: electricity based
Shock, Speed, Electric Shield, Overload

Speciality frames:

Ash: assassin
Shuriken, Smoke Screen, Teleport, Blade Storm

Trinity: healing, support
Well Of Life, Energy Vampire, Link, Blessing

Vauban: traps, crowd control
Tesla, Bounce, Bastille, Vortex

Zephyr: Airborne
Tail Wind, Dive Bomb, Turbulence, Tornado

Nyx: psionic
Mind Control, Psychic Bolts, Chaos, Absorb

Alignment frames:

Nekros: necromancy, summon, Evil only
Soul Punch, Terrify, Desecrate, Shadows Of The Dead

Nova: antimatter (disintergrate), Neutral only
Null Star, Antimatter Drop, Worm Hole, Molecular Prime

Oberon: Paladin-like, Exalted, Good only
Smite, Hallowed Ground, Renewal, Reckoning

Rhino: Tank, Melee, Lawful only
Rhino Charge, Iron Skin, Roar, Rhino Stomp

Valkyr: melee, berzerker-like, Chaotic only
Rip Line, Warcry, Paralysis, Hysteria

Mavakith
2014-03-01, 09:11 AM
Reserved for weapons

themourningstar
2014-03-01, 10:30 AM
I literally didn't even know "Warframes" existed until you posted this, but the fluff is really cool. :) The link I'm going to post is for an "Iron Man" class, but it seems to fit fairly well, and will give you a place to start hopefully.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258113

Mavakith
2014-03-01, 10:39 AM
I literally didn't even know "Warframes" existed until you posted this, but the fluff is really cool. :) The link I'm going to post is for an "Iron Man" class, but it seems to fit fairly well, and will give you a place to start hopefully.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258113

Thanks man! One of my players used the "Iron Man" in our last campaign..

hahaha.. its was fun for the players and me as a DM so that's also one of the reasons I'm starting this little project.

I'm working on the specific abilities of different "frames" atm and try and balance them to the vestiges..

DrunkenMists
2014-03-16, 03:31 AM
In Pathfinder; At least one of the 3rd party places. There is a Class Called Aegis.

It could be easily Modified for this concept; taking some note from the Summoner Class's Eidolon to "fill in the blanks" of the Abilities you want to cover.

I'd say Skip making basic Frames and make it a Moddable Concept. As most "exoskeleton" users will each have thier own styles.

For the shield, You could Take the Power Points and Kinda -Rehash- How they work for your concept.
I Suggest a Magic of Incarnum. Each Character gets so many points, taking more Feats and Such gives you some boosts on the points; Depending on Class Features (Or class Choices) is to how much they can push into a part of the class feature.

Some Exoskeletons might want to outright skip defense (sheilds) and boost thier offensive power/choices.

So in Short:
Take Concepts from Eidolon//Aegis for "how to build" the base class itself. Refluff/balance their ability choices and costs for you idea.
Make a Balancing Number System that allows the player to "re-evaluate" their ability on the fly during play; and Large Modifications on the Outside of "play"

One other class you could probably take some idea from is the Evolutionist.

Mavakith
2014-03-16, 03:53 AM
In Pathfinder; At least one of the 3rd party places. There is a Class Called Aegis.

It could be easily Modified for this concept; taking some note from the Summoner Class's Eidolon to "fill in the blanks" of the Abilities you want to cover.

I'd say Skip making basic Frames and make it a Moddable Concept. As most "exoskeleton" users will each have thier own styles.

For the shield, You could Take the Power Points and Kinda -Rehash- How they work for your concept.
I Suggest a Magic of Incarnum. Each Character gets so many points, taking more Feats and Such gives you some boosts on the points; Depending on Class Features (Or class Choices) is to how much they can push into a part of the class feature.

Some Exoskeletons might want to outright skip defense (sheilds) and boost thier offensive power/choices.

So in Short:
Take Concepts from Eidolon//Aegis for "how to build" the base class itself. Refluff/balance their ability choices and costs for you idea.
Make a Balancing Number System that allows the player to "re-evaluate" their ability on the fly during play; and Large Modifications on the Outside of "play"

One other class you could probably take some idea from is the Evolutionist.

Thanks for your ideas!

I'll look into Eidolon//Aegis once I get off from work as www.d20pfsrd.com
is blocked by my workplace.. :smallmad:

Actually now I am thinking of making all "frames" as base frames and gain more abilities as the Tenno levels..

Inspiration came from Derjuin's Zodiac (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11942183&postcount=6) class's "Adopt Sign" ability in Base Class Challenge VIII - One Small Step for a Contest

What do you think?

EDIT: Found a pdf of the Aegis class.. It's a great inspiration to what i'm working on!

BTW, what tier is Aegis? as I am building Tenno towards High Tier 3..

Tacitus
2014-03-16, 04:37 AM
Aegis is 4, but something based on Aegis (it fights, in armor it makes itself, thats about it) with a splash of Synthesist Summoner/Eidolon and maybe a more skillmonkery skill list would certainly be higher.

Mavakith
2014-03-16, 04:43 AM
Aegis is 4, but something based on Aegis (it fights, in armor it makes itself, thats about it) with a splash of Synthesist Summoner/Eidolon and maybe a more skillmonkery skill list would certainly be higher.

ahhh i see..

I was hoping to make it into a Martial Discipline (Initiator) class as well.. where you gain access to a specific discipline depending on which warframe you choose to "frame-up" with..

but then that might just be throwing in too much things in the same class.. :smallfrown:

Amechra
2014-03-16, 07:20 AM
I'd suggest not making a super-complex class as your first homebrew, mainly because that's a lot of hard work.

Another source I'd offer for how you can structure the Warframes, ruleswise, is my Husk class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16638903&postcount=2); more specifically, the package system for transformations.

Basically, you have a few ways to pull this off:

1. Point-based like the Aegis.
2. Single "things", like with your original idea.
3. Something built out of a couple packages, like my Husk.
4. Power of Cybernetics. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8693.0)

redfeline
2014-03-16, 02:38 PM
I would probably either make each warframe as a equipable, four martial maneuver, style. The maneuvers should unlock as you level up.

To me warframe is about mods. I would go with the evolutionist and assign evo points as mod points to be spent on weapon enhancements and warframe enhancements.

DrunkenMists
2014-03-16, 10:21 PM
You could also up the amount of evo points and let people "buy" SLA or Manuvers or whatnot.

Mavakith
2014-03-18, 01:19 AM
I'd suggest not making a super-complex class as your first homebrew, mainly because that's a lot of hard work.

Another source I'd offer for how you can structure the Warframes, ruleswise, is my Husk class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16638903&postcount=2); more specifically, the package system for transformations.

Basically, you have a few ways to pull this off:

1. Point-based like the Aegis.
2. Single "things", like with your original idea.
3. Something built out of a couple packages, like my Husk.
4. Power of Cybernetics. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8693.0)

Alot of hard work does not matter.. Its a fun albeit slow progress..
Though i will try to make it not too complex..

I have read and bookmarked your Husk class, but i feel that i'm too inexperienced in homebrewing to give suggestions or ideas. :smallbiggrin:

I might do a combination of the above ways to pull this off..

I would probably either make each warframe as a equipable, four martial maneuver, style. The maneuvers should unlock as you level up.

To me warframe is about mods. I would go with the evolutionist and assign evo points as mod points to be spent on weapon enhancements and warframe enhancements.

Sorry, can u please rephrase I would probably either make each warframe as a equipable, four martial maneuver, style. The maneuvers should unlock as you level up.?

You mean each warframe have four equipable martial maneuver / spell-like abilities? and they unlocks as you level up?

Thats what i'm doing now, Warframe I & Warframe II, etc. on level 5, 10, 15 & 20. Its just that I am still in the progress of deciding how the mechanics of the "frames" would work, and i'm mainly AFB right now (working in another country, and didn't bring my D&D books)..

If i'm bring in the Mod system, its gonna be a large project.. I dunno how long its gonna take on my own, as work is real hectic.. :smallfrown:

You could also up the amount of evo points and let people "buy" SLA or Manuvers or whatnot.

Maybe i can adopt Amechra's enhancement system in his Husk class for the weapon mods..

and then for the "Warframes" i can do what i said before.. similiar to Derjuin's Zodiac class's "Adopt Sign" ability, gains a number of set abilities unique to each "frame" which unlock more abilities as the Tenno levels.

How does that sound?

redfeline
2014-03-19, 10:57 AM
I am extrmely sorry, I was very tired when I wrote that and I had a lesser idea I decided not to share. The either was the result of that idea I deleted later in the prargraph.

What I ment was that you have a peice of equipment, the warframe. You equip one, it comes with 4 unique martial manuvers as per the game.

At the time I wrote this I thought warframe I to IV were pick a starting warframe, level 10 congrats you now own rhino and your stater.

Mavakith
2014-03-19, 09:11 PM
I am extrmely sorry, I was very tired when I wrote that and I had a lesser idea I decided not to share. The either was the result of that idea I deleted later in the prargraph.

What I ment was that you have a peice of equipment, the warframe. You equip one, it comes with 4 unique martial manuvers as per the game.

At the time I wrote this I thought warframe I to IV were pick a starting warframe, level 10 congrats you now own rhino and your stater.

don't worry about it man.. its all cool..

i didn't write out the mechanics out yet anyways becasuse i'm still thinking on the mechanics LOL

i'm leaning towards what you said, and combine it with different "enhancements" to upgrade the weapons..

however, will need to think about which level unlock which tier of warframe abilities now.. :smallbiggrin:

redfeline
2014-03-20, 01:45 PM
I am still a big proponent of item modding. Would you mind if I spend a bit of effort to adapt one to this class?

This would take some tweaking to say the least, and by no means is perfect but I found a few point based systems that with a fair amount of cost adjustment could be adapted.

(I got a little carried away here.)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335794

This is a vow of poverty rework the problem is I see a level 20 tenno as having 120 mod points, 30 for each item. This is exactly 1/6th the number of points so each ability would have to be reworked to be 1/6th as effective.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240717

This is the evolutionist, it can do a little bit of everything. Again the points are limited, the evolutionist has 86. They also benefit from a little more free range in abilities.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253053

Here is the swarmlord it actually goes over our point total goal... sort of.

Any how there are several point systems out there that may be adapted to mods. With a growing set of mod points and a mod point cap on each of the 4 pieces of gear I think it may be reasonable.

Mavakith
2014-03-20, 09:21 PM
I am still a big proponent of item modding. Would you mind if I spend a bit of effort to adapt one to this class?

Mate, i would not mind any sort of ideas and advices on this, let alone putting more effort in to adapt something to this class!

This would take some tweaking to say the least, and by no means is perfect but I found a few point based systems that with a fair amount of cost adjustment could be adapted.

(I got a little carried away here.)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335794

This is a vow of poverty rework the problem is I see a level 20 tenno as having 120 mod points, 30 for each item. This is exactly 1/6th the number of points so each ability would have to be reworked to be 1/6th as effective.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240717

This is the evolutionist, it can do a little bit of everything. Again the points are limited, the evolutionist has 86. They also benefit from a little more free range in abilities.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253053

Here is the swarmlord it actually goes over our point total goal... sort of.

Any how there are several point systems out there that may be adapted to mods. With a growing set of mod points and a mod point cap on each of the 4 pieces of gear I think it may be reasonable.

Mod points point by level and cap on each piece of gear is reasonable.

How about four points/level? cap of each piece of gear: cannot go over class level.

Then have the Tenno construct a Orokin Ethergaunt Catalyst/Reactor (how about 20,000gp?) to triple the cap on each piece of item, ending with 60 point cap per piece of equipment at lv 20 when a Orokin Ethergaunt Catalyst/Reactor is used. We could keep the mod's cost in line with the in-game mods this way.