PDA

View Full Version : How big of a deal to allow DFA and Warlocks invocations sharing?

CyberThread
2014-03-01, 10:55 AM
Just overall, how big of a deal is it to allow, DFA and Warlocks to share invocations, and to provide a secondary system for warlocks, to gain an extra shaping essences ( or whatever they are called) on 2nd/5th/10th/15th to help allivate the cost of invocations vs things that affect my blasting laser.

Particle_Man
2014-03-01, 11:31 AM
It depends on what the other players are playing. If they are all playing tier one casters (clerics, druids, wizards, etc.) then you might as well just give the poor warlock and DFA *all* of the invocations at levels 1 (least), 6 (lesser), 11 (greater) and 16 (dark) and be done with it. If they are all playing tier 6 characters then giving the warlock or DFA access to more invocations would make a relative powerhouse even more versatile and overshadow the other players.

Invader
2014-03-01, 01:28 PM
It depends on what the other players are playing. If they are laying tier one casters (clerics, druids, wizards, etc.) then you might as well e the poor warlock and DFA *all* of the invocations at levels 1 (least), 6 (lesser), 11 (greater) and 16 (dark) and be done with it. If they are all playing tier 6 characters then giving the warlock or DFA access to more invocations would make a relative powerhouse even more versatile and overshadow the other players.

I don't think this is really helpful.

If you cherry picked class suitable invocations for the DFA it probably wouldn't change that much but if you just have the DFA all the warlocks invocations I could see it bumping it up a tier as it would give it a lot more diversity.

Fax Celestis
2014-03-01, 01:33 PM
Not really a big deal, tbh.

Petrocorus
2014-03-01, 02:12 PM
Honestly, that's really not a big deal. Given the limited number of invocations know by each classes, and the level at which they can learn them, it really won't improves them a lot.

Nihilarian
2014-03-01, 02:28 PM
Isn't there a feat that does this?

Either way its not a big deal. You'll have to decide how you want the invocations that effect EB or the breath weapon will work.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-01, 02:34 PM
My DFA is having an eternal wand made with all of the Warlock 1-3 invocations (except the EB ones).

Karnith
2014-03-01, 02:39 PM
I'll echo other people by saying that granting access to each other's invocations wouldn't make a very big difference.

Isn't there a feat that does this?
Yes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613), but it comes online fairly late and only gets you a low-grade invocation.

Nihilarian
2014-03-01, 02:54 PM
My DFA is having an eternal wand made with all of the Warlock 1-3 invocations (except the EB ones).I don't think that works. Does it?

Invader
2014-03-01, 02:59 PM
I don't think that works. Does it?

It seems like it'd be prohibitively expensive

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-01, 04:07 PM
As others have said, it's not really going to change anything. The classes, after all, are limited more by only being about to pick ~10 abilities over 20 levels than their individual lists being bad. (Well, that and damage, but that's a separate issue)

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-01, 04:21 PM
I don't think that works. Does it?

Strictly by RAW, no. But invocations are spell-like abilities and SLA's can be used in the creation of magic items. Eternal wands allow any arcane caster to use them, even if the spell is not on their class spell list. DM rules that invocation eternal wands can be used by any invocation caster.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-01, 04:26 PM
It seems like it'd be prohibitively expensive

1s level invocations 820 gp
3rd level invocation 10,900
x1.5 for all additional invocations after the highest level one.

It's not to expensive, especially as I am having them added one at a time. It is much more of a hassle finding a crafter than regular items. I also have to bribe, flatter, or quest for him to get him to do it. DC's for resisted invocations are painfully low though.