PDA

View Full Version : How to build a Golem that can make Magic Items...

unseenmage
2014-03-01, 01:28 PM
More exactly, and Effigy (CAr) of a 1HD humanoid that can make Magic Items.

And I'm not talking about Dedicated Wrights (ECS) either. They use their master's allotted Item creation time for the day. An intelligent Construct with it's own innate Item Crafting allotment is what I'm after.

I can make them Intelligent, they can use whatever Skills i need them to, and can provide any other Crafting requisites by other means if necessary. I'm just stuck on the fact that a creature without the feats to do so cannot make Magic Items. And the fact that the Item Creation feats have Caster Level requirements.

I cannot put class levels onto my Constructs. I can however give them feats (AaEG).

Option a) is to simply buy the Item Creation feats by building Magic items that include them. However, IIRC lacking the prerequisite for a feat makes that feat stop functioning. So sure the Golem or Fighter can put on the Helmet of Craft Wondrous Item, but it doesn't do anything because they do not qualify for the feat.

Option b) Give the Construct a Caster Level by buying it a chain of other feats that grant it spellcasting.
For this option I'm looking at three different feat chains and I'm not sure which one works nor which one provides what I'm after with the fewest feats.
- Magical Training (PGtF41) + Extra Slot (CAr79) + Heighten Spell (PH) + Metamagic School Focus (CMa45)

- Magical Training + Sanctum Spell (CAr82) + Earth Spell (RoS138) + Extra Slot + Heighten Spell

- Education (PGtF38) + Magical Training + Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment (PlH41) + Extra Slot + Open Minded (CAd111)

Any assistance would be appreciated, especially if someone can determine if there is more/better precedent for feat granting items ignoring prerequisites than requiring them.
Putting Feats in Items isn't cheap by any means, but I still hesitate to allow a player made Custom Magic item grant a feat and allow the user to ignore that feat's prerequisites...