PDA

View Full Version : Template for Flight

TypoNinja
2014-03-01, 05:00 PM
So currently I'm looking at the Winged Template from SS as a quick and easy way to add flight, it doesn't come with much for a +2, but the flight is fast, and thanks to the dex that comes with the template will be perfect maneuverability.

Is Winged a competitive template, or should I be looking elsewhere as a way to add flight?

Dread_Head
2014-03-01, 05:23 PM
Both Unseelie Fey (Dragon Compendium) and Dragonborn (Races of the Dragon) templates can add flight to a character for a mere +0LA.

Edit: There's also various ECL 0 races that come with flight such as Raptoran or Anthropomorphic Bat that would be a better bet than the Winged template.

In fact you're probably better off waiting and spending 10,000gp on the Feathered wings graft (Fiend Folio) than taking a +2LA template that doesn't grant anything else. Heck Half-Fey (also Fiend Folio) also grant a decent Fly speed but with a bunch of other nice bonuses and are +2LA.

BornValyrian
2014-03-01, 05:26 PM
Just remember that unseelie Fey only has a 50% chance of wings. Some dm's will roll or discount it entirely. It's pretty strong for +0 LA.

OldTrees1
2014-03-01, 05:28 PM
Winged does give perfect maneuverability
Unseelie Fey has a d% chart that _can_ give wings. Some treat this as pick what you want. Some make you roll.
Dragonborn is great if you don't lose anything important.
Ghost 1 gives flight for LA +1 but you are corporeal on the ethereal plane.

Divide by Zero
2014-03-01, 05:29 PM
Half-Fey (Fiend Folio) is also +2 but has a bunch of extra goodies to go along with it. Maybe Half-Dragon if you're playing a Strength-focused character. Along with what Dread_Head mentioned, that's pretty much everything I can think of that's worth considering outside of gestalt.

Dread_Head
2014-03-01, 05:30 PM
Just remember that unseelie Fey only has a 50% chance of wings. Some dm's will roll or discount it entirely. It's pretty strong for +0 LA.

You can choose what wings you have:

Wings can be of any type listed on the following table. Select the wings or roll randomly (see the table below).

Although it's already so powerful I can understand a DM ignoring the wings aspect

TypoNinja
2014-03-01, 06:01 PM
That fey is pretty nice. A shockingly large amount of DR, more than enough to offset the iron weakness. Flight is pretty fast, but only average. Con penalty is mean, other than that.

Question for cheese options.

Vernal Touch (Su): To receive a vernal touch is like being kissed by springtime itself, full of life and promise. At will, as a standard action, the seelie fey can touch a creature with a vernal touch. This touch removes dazed, nauseated, fatigued, and exhausted conditions from living creatures. For undead creatures, a seelie court fey's touch attack acts like a cleric's ability to turn undead with a cleric level equal to the unseelie fey's total Hit Dice -2. Unlike a cleric's turn ability, each use of vernal touch affects only the touched undead.

Does this count as the ability to turn undead? Obviously its not literally a Turn Undead use that I can feed to DMM or the like, but there are several PrC that ask for "Ability to turn undead", as well as some items.

Dread_Head
2014-03-01, 06:06 PM
That fey is pretty nice. A shockingly large amount of DR, more than enough to offset the iron weakness. Flight is pretty fast, but only average. Con penalty is mean, other than that.

Question for cheese options.

Vernal Touch (Su): To receive a vernal touch is like being kissed by springtime itself, full of life and promise. At will, as a standard action, the seelie fey can touch a creature with a vernal touch. This touch removes dazed, nauseated, fatigued, and exhausted conditions from living creatures. For undead creatures, a seelie court fey's touch attack acts like a cleric's ability to turn undead with a cleric level equal to the unseelie fey's total Hit Dice -2. Unlike a cleric's turn ability, each use of vernal touch affects only the touched undead.

Does this count as the ability to turn undead? Obviously its not literally a Turn Undead use that I can feed to DMM or the like, but there are several PrC that ask for "Ability to turn undead", as well as some items.

Hmm dunno about that one, I normally prefer the ability which gives a penalty to saves equal to your Cha mod but if that qualifies you for turning based prestige classes that would be cool.

Also the feat Improved Flight (Races of the Wild) would bump the manoeuvrability to good which is normally good enough for most purposes.

Clistenes
2014-03-01, 06:51 PM
Winged Template sucks. Half-Fey is LA +2 too, and it gives you a ton of stuff in addition to flight.

TypoNinja
2014-03-01, 10:28 PM
Hmm dunno about that one, I normally prefer the ability which gives a penalty to saves equal to your Cha mod but if that qualifies you for turning based prestige classes that would be cool.

Also the feat Improved Flight (Races of the Wild) would bump the manoeuvrability to good which is normally good enough for most purposes.

I usually go with Hover if I decide I need more flight maneuverability.