PDA

View Full Version : Epic Wish Magic Item

pwykersotz
2014-03-01, 06:55 PM
I was talking with one of my players about crazy TO, and I'm curious how the Playground would attempt to create:

1. Epic Wish
2. An at will magic item thereof

Now obviously, the rules state that only artifacts can contain magic of such power, but let's handwave that for now.

My thoughts lead me to adding the Spellcraft total of all seeds together (including Mythal and Shadow). Add 20 for 1 action casting and x5 for permanent duration and you have a Spellcraft check of 2825 before mitigation.

An at will magic item would take 21(CL)*10(Spell Level)*2000 = 420,000gp

That's 16,800 xp and 420 days without feats or Artificer fun.

Does anyone have other ideas that might work better or better capture the scope of this item?

Windstorm
2014-03-01, 07:29 PM
there is a thread from the last 2 days discussing a 1/day ring of wish and its associated costs, which is already an epic item. one of the things you did forget to account for in the formula is the XP component, which is where most of the problem and cost lie.

Jack_Simth
2014-03-01, 07:29 PM
You just need the Shadow seed, as Epic spells are considered 10th level for all purposes.

Lost Empires of Faerun, page 44. This is actually a pretty straightforward application.

Base DC 23. There's 8 spell schools, plus Universal. So 9 schools of magic. That's eight more than the one the base DC gives you, so +16 DC (+2 each). Each additional spell level is +5, and we want at least 10th level spells, so nine additional levels at +45 DC. We want to go ahead and get Divine spells as well, so another +10. A standard action casting time would be +20, Quickened would be +28. Take your pick (or research both, it might be worthwhile).

Spellcraft DC's (before duration):
Standard Action Greater Wish: 23+16+45+10+20=114
Quickened Action Greater Wish: 23+16+45+10+28=122
... and we want to go ahead and make it Permanent, just in case, so *5:
Standard Action Greater Wish: 570
Quickened Action Greater Wish: 610

Much easier.

Oh, and you're missing a mod on the item - it's an Epic effect, so it incurrs the *10 Epic penalty.

Optimator
2014-03-01, 08:18 PM
Ugh.

Not all epic items get a flat x10 multiplier to their cost. Epic items with epic numerical bonuses get the multiplier. Otherwise there wouldn't be any items between 200,000 GP and 2,000,000 now would there?

Crake
2014-03-01, 08:39 PM
there is a thread from the last 2 days discussing a 1/day ring of wish and its associated costs, which is already an epic item. one of the things you did forget to account for in the formula is the XP component, which is where most of the problem and cost lie.

It's actually not an epic item since its base cost is less than 200,000gp. The epic price is calculated before extra costs for xp components are calculated, which is where the majority of the cost of that item comes from, the base cost is 55,080gp, so well within non-epic limits, but if you were to up it to at will, that would definitely bump it into epic.

pwykersotz
2014-03-01, 08:47 PM

True, but I'm not going for regular wish, I'm going for a custom epic spell of Wish using seeds. There isn't necessarily an XP cost unless it's put in for mitigating factors.

You just need the Shadow seed, as Epic spells are considered 10th level for all purposes.

Lost Empires of Faerun, page 44. This is actually a pretty straightforward application.

Base DC 23. There's 8 spell schools, plus Universal. So 9 schools of magic. That's eight more than the one the base DC gives you, so +16 DC (+2 each). Each additional spell level is +5, and we want at least 10th level spells, so nine additional levels at +45 DC. We want to go ahead and get Divine spells as well, so another +10. A standard action casting time would be +20, Quickened would be +28. Take your pick (or research both, it might be worthwhile).

Spellcraft DC's (before duration):
Standard Action Greater Wish: 23+16+45+10+20=114
Quickened Action Greater Wish: 23+16+45+10+28=122
... and we want to go ahead and make it Permanent, just in case, so *5:
Standard Action Greater Wish: 570
Quickened Action Greater Wish: 610

Much easier.

Oh, and you're missing a mod on the item - it's an Epic effect, so it incurrs the *10 Epic penalty.

The shadow seed works great for replicating spells that are 1-9th, but that wouldn't allow replication of Epic spells or have quite the scope that a truly epic wish might have. The idea would be to create any sort of epic level effect on the fly that you might be able to think of. You want to banish an entire race from this reality? You want to gather a thousand stars into the palm of your hand and seal them in a gem? Use Epic Wish!

I really need to learn to read posts more fully before I reply. I see what you did there now.

Jack_Simth
2014-03-01, 09:00 PM
The shadow seed works great for replicating spells that are 1-9th, but that wouldn't allow replication of Epic spells or have quite the scope that a truly epic wish might have. The idea would be to create any sort of epic level effect on the fly that you might be able to think of. You want to banish an entire race from this reality? You want to gather a thousand stars into the palm of your hand and seal them in a gem? Use Epic Wish!

I really need to learn to read posts more fully before I reply. I see what you did there now.
It's a stupid-broken trick, though. The only slight downsides are:
1) It always allows spell resistance (so the golems don't get sucked into the gem).
2) It can be recognized as a shadow effect if they beat the save (not that it helps much beyond recognizing that the spell effect isn't the original spell effect).

However, those are minor quibbles, by and large. As-written, it permits you to duplicate Epic spells with a higher DC than the spell itself (as any Epic spell qualifies, you see - so no additional mitigation needed. Want to Permanently Summon 10^100 Solars? Well, that's possible with an Epic spell of the Summon Seed, which counts as a 10th level spell, so it's doable with your one Shadow spell). Slight downside is that the Shadow seed, when used for spell duplication, also needs the XP cost of the duplicated spell at casting time if the duplicated spell needs it.