PDA

View Full Version : PFS Oracle

andreww
2014-03-01, 07:02 PM
Hello all,

In a few months I will be heading to a number of local conventions and I have a bunch of GM credit sitting in a pile waiting to be turned into a character. I am currently trying to decide between Oracle and Sorcerer. The character will be level 9.

I have previously posted the sorcerer and received some useful feedback. I am now trying to compare him to the Oracle. Some things to be aware of:

1. It's PFS so obviously the required level of optimisation isn't huge.

2. I am not looking to play a Cleric. Access to level 5 spells would be nice but the ability to change your spell load around doesn't doo much in PFS when games often occur across a single rest period. Also I much prefer spontaneous characters.

3. PFS is full of classed Humanoids so manoeuvre builds and mind affecting stuff is often worthwhile. However you also need ways to deal with flyers, deeper darkness and swarms. Especially bloody swarms.

4. I am not looking to melee with this character. Definitely wanting to cast, buff and debuff. Not looking to heal. I strongly considered Heavens for crazy Colour Spray shenanigans but finally opted for Lore because...

5. It's PFS so I also want to be competent at a range of skills. Lore basically means I will auto pass every Knowledge skill in any scenario with only 1 point in each Knowledge and I can then spend my skill points on other stuff.

OK, with that all set out this is what I currently have. Advice on spell selection, feats and equipment would be appreciated. I have about 4k left over and everything is still up for grabs. I currently apply double extended Magic Vestment and normal Ant Haul (18 hours each).

Male Half-Elf Oracle (Dual-Cursed Oracle) 9
LN Medium humanoid (elf, human)
Init +11; Senses low-light vision; Perception +14

--------------------
Defense
--------------------

AC 25, touch 16, flat-footed 19 (+6 armor, +3 shield, +6 Dex)
hp 75 (9d8+27)
Fort +8, Ref +13, Will +6 (+10 vs. charm and compulsion); +2 vs. enchantments
Immune sleep

Weakness oracle's curses (blackened, legalistic)

--------------------
Offense
--------------------

Speed 30 ft.
Melee masterwork silver morningstar +3/-2 (1d8)

Special Attacks bloodline arcana: fey

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9th; concentration +17)
11/day—laughing touch

Oracle (Dual-Cursed Oracle) Spells Known (CL 9th; concentration +20):

4th (6/day)—blessing of fervor (DC 22), cure critical wounds, legend lore, order's wrath (DC 24)
3rd (8/day)—bestow curse (DC 21), blindness/deafness (DC 21), cure serious wounds, daylight, dispel magic, magic vestment, paragon surge
2nd (8/day)—burst of radiance (DC 22), cure moderate wounds, flaming sphere (DC 22), grace, hold person (DC 22), oracle's burden (DC 20), pilfering hand, resist energy, scorching ray, sound burst (DC 22)
1st (8/day)—ant haul (DC 19), burning hands (DC 21), cure light wounds, forbid action (DC 21), ill omen, liberating command, murderous command (DC 21), protection from evil, shield of faith, sanctuary (DC 19)
0 (at will)—create water, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, light, purify food and drink (DC 18), scrivener's chant, stabilize

--------------------
Statistics
--------------------

Str 11, Dex 7, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 7, Cha 26
Base Atk +6; CMB +6; CMD 14

Feats: Eldritch Heritage, Greater Spell Focus (evocation), Noble Scion of War, Persistent Spell, Skill Focus (Knowledge [nature]), Spell Focus (evocation)

Traits: irrepressible, magical lineage (burst of light)

Skills: Bluff +18, Diplomacy +23, Disguise +11, Intimidate +11, Knowledge (arcana) +14, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +12 (+14 to navigate underground), Knowledge (engineering) +12, Knowledge (geography) +12, Knowledge (history) +15, Knowledge (local) +12, Knowledge (nature) +15, Knowledge (nobility) +17, Knowledge (planes) +17, Knowledge (religion) +15, Linguistics +7, Perception +14, Sense Motive +8, Spellcraft +12, Use Magic Device +18; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception,

Revelations: focused trance, lore keeper, misfortune, sidestep secret

Languages: Auran, Celestial, Common, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Ignan, Infernal, Terran

Special Qualities: elf blood, mysteries (mystery [lore])

Gear: extend metamagic rod (lesser), oil of daylight, piercing metamagic rod (lesser), potion of air bubble (2), potion of cure light wounds (3), potion of darkvision, potion of fly, potion of remove blindness/deafness, potion of touch of the sea, scroll of align weapon, scroll of comprehend languages, comprehend languages, scroll of delay poison, scroll of endure elements (2), scroll of endure elements, communal, scroll of obscuring mist (2), scroll of protection from chaos (2), scroll of protection from evil (2), scroll of remove sickness (2), scroll of remove fear (2), scroll of silence, scroll of death ward, wand of cure light wounds, alchemist's fire, mithral chain shirt, buckler, masterwork silver morningstar, belt of mighty constitution +2, circlet of persuasion, cloak of resistance +2, eyes of the eagle, feather step slippers, handy haversack, headband of alluring charisma +4, spell component pouch, Holy Symbol

So, for offence we are largely looking at Persistent Burst of Light or Sound Burst depending on the preferred defence. Against humanoids Hold Person and Pilfering Hand bring useful options and Blindness is all kinds of awesome against enemy Wizards. Order's Wrath is particularly good for Season 5 and hits an enormous area. Persistent Murderous Command can kill things by forcing them to take opportunity attacks as they move and amusingly is not language dependant. Buff wise Resist Energy and Blessing of Fervour are both strong. I grabbed a Piercing Rod as otherwise I have real issues beating SR given the very small number of available feats. The Cleric list is annoyingly short of SR: No spells.

At level 11 I will be picking up Dazing Spell (or possibly retraining at 10) to use with Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray or similar. I may switch to Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) for spontaneous Wizard spell access or stick with Fey and grab Greater Forbid Action as a 5th level spell known. Going Arcane is stronger but is liable to run into GM pushback at some tables and therefore some creative interpretation to prevent it working.

Arutema
2014-03-01, 09:39 PM
9 levels of GM credit? I salute you for your contribution to the PFS community.

I see one problem though, Eldritch Heritage does not work that way. You get only the bloodline power, not the bloodline arcana, and the bloodline arcana is arguably the only thing the fey bloodline has going for it.

You may want to consider a dip into fey/undead crossblooded sorcerer to pick up both those blooldine arcanas instead.

Otherwise, it seems a solid buff/debuff build, but I seldom play those, so there may be better judges of that than I.

andreww
2014-03-02, 06:49 AM
Dammit, I knew that, stupid Hero Lab bug tricking me. Well I suppose I have another feat free to grab Dazing Spell to use next level. Then it's the decision between Quicken and Eldritch Heritage. Quickened Ill Omen followed by your preferred Persistent Debuff means 4 saves taking the lowest roll which isn't bad.