PDA

View Full Version : The Emergence

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-01, 08:00 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_415fzTyazUCEUKRbfqrjf4qE-VDWQ52epjt1l2JO3afW-W8j

The Emergence

After six months, the ships are nearly arrived. Yrus and Yris each launched two vessels. The ships are massive beasts capable of spending years at sea. They are modern marvels, rain distillers, on board gardens, the ride ten stories out of the water.

Your trip so far has been to schedule and the ICT co captains have been giving you all some idea of what they plan to do. They will send you and about 20 men ashore with skiffs of supplies enough to last about a year. With a successful send off they will return to their respective ports and the ICT co will send another vessel which will return in a years time. If you have successfully survived and established some kind of trading post, the ICT will compensate you and add this new world to their trading routes.

As the four ships meet, the fleet admiral John Morton, informs you and his captains that the fleet is about a day out according to survivor’s accounts. He orders that all preparations be made and the skiff loaded, due to the deep draw of the ships and the fact that these are now uncharted waters, the large vessels will go no closer than half a mile from the coast, and those aboard the ship will have to make landfall themselves.

As the day passes into the night, you all awake to a dawn with a storm on the horizon. A torrential downfall from black and thunderous clouds. The ships sail on and as you reach the edge of the rain, you are surprised to find that while raining, it is nowhere near as bad as it appeared from the distance, in fact, the rain seems to glide around the ships like gossamer silk being pulled over an object. When the ships exit the rain, the sun shines bright and you see calm crystalline blue waters reaching up to a shore line that expands across the horizon. White beaches and bright green forest await.

The ships sail a bit more and the captains prepare to launch the skiffs. Your destiny awaits you in this new found land. Its virgin beaches await.

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 08:28 PM
Aevien

Ghost paces the deck, looking towards the shore. She is eager to have her paws on solid land again.

Aevien says, "I know girl, I am about ready to dive in and swim to shore."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-01, 08:53 PM
Rohan extends his arms to receive the sun. "This is truly relaxing. I just hope this travel wont be for longer. It sometimes gets really boring on this ship." .Naohr nods in agreement as he scratches behind its head.

The Grim Author
2014-03-01, 09:30 PM
"...why is it a forest, Lord Emerald?" Liatha's scorpion familiar chittered and rubbed the outside of a pincer on her cheek in a reassuring manner. "I just... agh." She paced the deck nervously. "You, the friend of the feline. Do you know of anything soothing? I've found myself overcome with nerves suddenly." The scorpion on her shoulder chittered in what was probably agreement.

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 09:42 PM
Aevien

Aevien walks towards Liatha. "I am Aevien and she is ghost," gesturing towards the big cat.
"I have no magic cure for nerves, except to talk, but that can work pretty good. Sometimes all we need is company."
"Are you nervous about it being a forest?"

Ghost walks over to look at Liatha.

The Grim Author
2014-03-01, 10:07 PM
"In a way," responded Liatha, resting a hand on Ghost's head and scratching it. "Forests remind me of the elves. Their jeers, their words, their stones. I hate them. Them and their forests, and their precious untouched wildernesses, revered so because... well, hell if I know, why would they talk to a drow? Especially a weird one who grows faster than she should! Why should they deign to give an anathema anything other than the regard a caveskin deserves?" She spat the words, and it was clear that she was growing angrier by the minute. "Who can blame them, though? I mean, it's not like those goldeyes even know how to be good. The only good whitehair is a dead whitehair, after all. It's not like we're people!" Her voice was cracking a little now.

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 10:17 PM
Aevien

"Well, I am very comfortable in woods so stick with me." He watches her closely, not retreating from the social norms about staring. "I am not sure you are a drow, but if we run into any elves, they will need to go through us to touch you."

The Grim Author
2014-03-01, 10:25 PM
"My father was. My mother... wasn't. She..." Liatha shook her head. "If you've ever heard of a creature known as a hag... well... that's the other half. But I... well, I identify more with my father's bloodline. Most of the time."

bcool999
2014-03-01, 10:29 PM
Petan

Petan takes a deep breath of the salty air and gazes longingly towards shore. Ahh... What a view. I can see why the sea life is alluring. The sight of land after so much water is filling me with a delicious blend of energy and anxiousness.

Hearing the young drow womans stomach woes, Petan makes his way across the deck, dodging sailors as they went about the daunting task of moving the massive ship through the waters. He catches the burst of emotion from her and the reassurances that the druid gives her, but can't quite hear the rest before he adds his own assurances.

"Indeed you have nothing to fear m'lady." says Petan with a smile, "These are new and unexplored lands! The chances of finding elves here would be staggering! Besides, even in the Saphirian Empire there are miles of forest mostly untouched by sentient feet. But enough about that. I heard that you were suffering some anxiousness? I have tea and would be most happy to share some if you wish. You as well Sir Druid would be welcome to a cup!"

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 10:36 PM
Aevien

"Well, your lineage makes no difference to me."
Ghost growls and Aevien smiles.
"Or to ghost. "
"If you are my friend then your are my friend. End of story."

Ahmanae
2014-03-01, 10:48 PM
Lilliana lounged comfortably on the deck in a hammock rigged from sailcloth lazily tossing sunflower seeds at Ari, who was doing his best to snatch them out of the air and hopping about the deck hunting down the ones he missed. Raising an eyebrow at the commotion, she shrugged; if the purple girl didn't like elves or their forests, it was nothing for her to be concerned about.

"The hell is she whining about? Nothing wrong with a good forest, I say!""Ari, you hate forests. Now shush, and mind your manners, you feathered little nuisance." Ari made a scathing reply as to what, exactly, he thought about that, and the two fell into their old pastime of insults and bickering with practiced ease.

The Grim Author
2014-03-01, 10:53 PM
"I think... I think I'll accept. Thank you, sir." She looked at the three of them: Ghost, Aevien, and whoever this other man was. "My name is Liatha, by the way, and this is Lord Emerald." Those of them who knew Elven would know that her name meant "Amethyst" in Elven.

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-01, 11:06 PM
Rohan heard four people speaking. Naohr reminded him that they soon would be landing and that it would be better to introduce himself to some of the others. "Hello, fellow travellers. Are you also part of the exploration team?"

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 11:06 PM
Aevien

"I'll pass on the tea, but thank you."
"I am glad to meet you Liatha and .. lord Emerald, although I am not much for titles." Aevien laughs.

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 11:33 PM
Aevien

Aevien looks towards Rohan. "Hello. This is Liatha, Lord Emerald, Ghost and I am Aevien." He looks towards Petan. "I didn't get your name."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-01, 11:43 PM
"Nice to meet you all. Where are my manners? My name is Rohan." He presented himself.

Naohr looked at him annoyed waiting to be presented and growing tired, he decided to present himself. "I am Naohr and I...."

"How could I forget? Naohr is my companion. " He interrupted to the annoyance of his partner.

bcool999
2014-03-01, 11:43 PM
Petan

Petans smile widens and he claps his hands together in joy at even the prospect of brewing a simple pot of tea, but his excitement is dimmed somewhat as he realizes he hadn't even introduced himself.

"Ahh I must beg your pardon. While I have seen many of you in the Galley, You probably haven't seen me all the way in the back cooking. I am called Petan Silverkin, though please simply call me Petan. A pleasure to make your acquaintance Liatha and noble Lord Emerald, Aevien and Ghost, and of course Rohan and Naohr." Says Petan with a short bow before answering the Rohans question. "I am indeed to be a part of the exploration team as I assume the rest of us are? I believe it is mostly sailors who will not be joining us. If that is the case, I look forward to dining with many of you in the months to come. For you see, while I am skilled at surviving in the wild, and in exploration, my true passion is to be found in the kitchen! Which reminds me I have tea to brew. If you will excuse me."

Petan then heads off to the ships galley hoping to find an empty space on the stove for his coffee pot so he can make a batch of tea. Once that is completed (maybe 5-10 mins?), He returns with four cups of tea and promptly hands one to miss Liathia and holds one out tentatively to Rohan.

Ahmanae
2014-03-02, 12:02 AM
Their bickering wound down after several minutes, and they sat in companionable silence until Ari affectionately nipped her ear. "You've been avoiding nearly everyone for six months. Well be landing soon, you should least introduce yourself before we load into the boat."You're right, of course." She sighed."Come on then."

Lilliana sat up stiffly and stretched with a yawn before getting to her feet and sauntering over to the others. "Hey there," she said with a faint smile, touching her fingers to her brow in a casual imitation of a salute. I'm Lilliana; the feathered runt is Ari." For once, Ari said nothing, sitting on her shoulder with such dignified airs as a robin can manage.

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 12:16 AM
Aevien

Aevien nods towards Petan and Rohan and turns to the newcomer. "Hello," and introduces them all.

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-02, 12:27 AM
Rohan glady accepted the tea from Petan. "I am sure its great. Thanks."

He then turned to Lilliana and greeted her and her robin.

Calinero
2014-03-02, 01:34 AM
Edwin

Those talking on the decks might notice a man stumbling out the door from below, losing his footing just as the deck rolls beneath a wave. Grimacing sheepishly, Edwin looks up at the others whose conversation he has intruded on.

"Sorry," he says. "Still don't really have my sea legs. I'm Edwin, by the way." Anyone who watches him for a moment will see a small furry figure poke its head out of his breast pocket, then retreat back into safety.

The Grim Author
2014-03-02, 01:41 AM
Liatha grabbed the tea with a simple, "Thanks." She nodded to Lilliana and Rohan, and she took a sip of the tea. "Petan, if the rest of your cooking is as good as this tea, I look forward to it."

DrunkenMists
2014-03-02, 01:50 AM
Sharris:

Sharris emerges from below decks alongside the ships quartermaster, having pushed to double check the medical supplies coming to ground with them. She generally waves to anybody looking her way.

"...You better make sure all those medical supplies make it to shore; else I'll be coming back aboard and filling in the missing from your chests...." she says to the quartermaster with a glare, which quickly softens to her usual bedside manner "and don't forget to eat some fruit, scurvy is still an issue in open waters... Don't need a seaside tavern opened up in your name."

She joins the groups getting moved ashore; all whom she has probally met as some time during the trip, with her assiting the ships doctor.

She looks to Edwin; the only one she knows the name of since he's been quite and in an out visitor to the infimary quarters, Mostly bumps and bruises from his unacclimation to the rolling of the deck... though there was that one other issue; but doctor confidentiality...

bcool999
2014-03-02, 03:10 AM
Petan

Practically glowing with pleasure at the compliment he received from Liatha, Petan offers the two remaining cups to the three new arrivals. "Last two cups of tea, so it's first come first served. Don't worry though. I am sure that once things calm down and we make landfall I will have plenty of time to brew as much tea as you can drink! Coffee too!"

Calinero
2014-03-02, 03:25 AM
Edwin nodded Sharris as she came on deck before looking out over the railing. It was odd to think they were so close to their destination.

"What do you all think will be there?" he asked. "Will there be kingdoms and empires like we have at home, or just a bunch of savages? Or will there be people at all?"

Ahmanae
2014-03-02, 03:29 AM
As Sharris approached the group, Ari launched himself into the air to alight on her shoulder. "My most gracious Lady Veterinarian! I trust this day finds you well?" he said with a little approximation of a bow. Lilliana accepted the tea with a word of thanks, giving her familiar an amused glance.

DrunkenMists
2014-03-02, 04:40 AM
"I imagine there will be something; most especially something were not used to.." Sharris says with a sigh, not elaborating.

"Ah, Ari, How's the wings, No more pain I hope?, You really got to give those other birds a break, where would our dear Lilliana be without your guidance?" she says; picking on the poor bird and her master a bit.

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 11:23 AM
Aevien

"Already we have tasted of the nature of this land. I am sure the storm we went through was not natural nor was the whole continents arrival. I don't know what awaits us when we arrive, but I am sure that magic is involved and in great amounts."

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-02, 03:34 PM
The explorers

The drizzled dwarven quartermaster looks at Sharris with a patronizing stare, “I’ve been at sea longer than you’ve been alive lass, don’t need to warn me about scurvy, the doldrum, yellow fever or any other seafaring affliction.” He says gruffly. Regardless of that he turns to some deckhands, “You men! Make sure the medical away gear is rightly packed and strapped down tight! Don’t wan’ a be losing any in the surf now!”

The captains send messages back and forth as the four skiffs are loaded with supplies and the men start hauling on boom lines and lowering them into the water. Men begin to shout, “Away team on the skiffs!” The deckhands begin lowering them into the water, five men and many supplies to a skiff, with the exception of the skiff for the explorers which has two rowers and no supplies but plenty of room for the travelers.

As the skiffs hit the waves you feel briny salt splash in the air. The rowers push off from the large ships and began rowing in over the surf. It is about a half mile to the shore and you can see small leaf and stick huts with a small gathering of humanoids watching from the sandy beach.

Bluetongue

The morning goes as every other. The lizardfolk start off the day wading and swimming amongst the low tide, spearing crab and fish, checking the nets left out overnight and pulling in a decent catch. Some of the women and children venture a few yards inland along the outlet next to your village, collecting fresh water for drinking and cooking. The sand is white and the sun is warm to the skin.

Brokenleg sits with the children regaling them with tales of the dragon fathers and the dangers of the deep jungle, laughing and scolding those yearlings who get too rowdy.

Gorehowl went out into the forest as he often did, before first light to hunt, and he would be back as always right before sundown. Except he was here now, you see him exiting the forest with another lizardfolk, a bizarre outcast. You know him, Palejaw.

The villagers recoil from Palejaw’s appearance with mothers grabbing there children and retreating back to a safe distance. Brokenleg hobbles over to the new arrivals with a stern look on his face. “Why are you here Palejaw?” he asks in Draconic.

“Elder.” Gorehowl responds, “Forgive me but I encountered Palejaw on his way to the village from the mountain. He has important news.” Gorehowl sounds earnest and Bluetongue knows Palejaw would shy away from the tribe unless there was great need.

The mountain was a large rock formation that stood alone a quarter day’s walk from the village, just inside the deep jungle. It was the highest vantage point for miles and it gave a good view of the bay and surrounding lands.

“There are things coming on boats Brokenleg.” Palejaw explains. “From boats larger than a Great Lizard.” He says shaking his fists in stressed surprise.

Turning toward the ocean, the villagers gasp in surprise as several vessels appear on the horizon. After several minutes it is clear that smaller vessels are making their way toward the land.

Calinero
2014-03-02, 03:57 PM
When Edwin sees the boat that is meant for the explorers, he will jump into it without hesitation.

"Careful, Herman," he says to his pocket, "Don't fall out." Turning back to the others, he says "Come on! Let's hurry up and get to dry land--I mean, to work!" He wasn't a big fan of being on such a small craft, but the fact that it would get him off of the ocean was more than enough to motivate him.

Looking out at the shore, Edwin blinked in surprise. "It looks like there's a welcoming party."

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 04:55 PM
Aevien

Aevien grabs his gear and looks to Liatha. "Shall we? We are all in this together."

Prehysterical
2014-03-02, 07:15 PM
Bluetongue regards the incoming craft with surprise. Never before had any come from the direction of the ocean. Whether that was good or bad remained to be seen.

Still, it would be unwise to let them land without seeing them properly first.

Once the initial shock has worn off, Bluetongue's orange frill relaxes and he looks to his young Allosaurus companion, Caesin.

"Let us go, huntress. It would seem the spirits have sent us a test."

The dinosaur and the shaman make their way toward the expected landing zone.

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-02, 08:49 PM
Rohan is the fifth one to get on the boat, followed by Naohr. "If anyone needs any help getting in just tell me." He offered.

The Grim Author
2014-03-02, 09:13 PM
Liatha stepped into the boat. "Well... let's go, then, hm?

bcool999
2014-03-02, 09:36 PM
Petan

"There really are people on the beach isn't there? I wonder what the local cuisine is like. I sure hope they don't try to eat us!" Says Petan with only a half joking chuckle as he climbs into the boat, waving farewell to the multitudes of sailors on deck.

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 09:48 PM
Aevien

Aevien peers at the short to see what he can.

Perception: [roll0]

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-02, 09:53 PM
Aevien sees a group of reptillian humanoids, about two dozen, there are a few that are armed but also many are obviously females and children. They are watching the approach of the ships with interest. There stick and leaves village is right next to a river outlet that goes back into a bright green forest that quickly becomes dark. You can't see more than a hundred yards upriver before it disappears into the underbrush.

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 10:01 PM
Aevien

"Lizardfolk of some sort."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-02, 11:04 PM
Rohan started to think. He recalled reading about humanoid races. He started to think to see if he could recall something on lizardfolks.

Knowledge (Local)
[roll0]

The Grim Author
2014-03-03, 12:30 AM
"Lizardfolk? Huh... I wonder... Do you think they'll be non-hostile? Like, wary, but not outright 'I will murder you for setting foot on this land'?" Liatha chewed on her lip.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 12:54 AM
Aevien

"We will find out soon enough."

DrunkenMists
2014-03-03, 02:11 AM
"It's never a simple landing is it?" Sharris says as she maneuvers into the boat taking them to shore.

She assess her party and meditates for a moment.

Aevien, Edwin, Petan & Lilliana
You feel a small soothing presence in the back of your heads as Sharris adds you into her collective, if you've visited her on boat at all for anything medical, this is likely a familiar feeling.
OOC effect (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17109410&postcount=37)

bcool999
2014-03-03, 03:27 AM
Petan

Petan sits in the boat enjoying the last cup of tea for himself that no one decided to grab. It's their loss too, Petan never got tea to make that warm soothing sensation in the back of his head before!

To the worries of the others about the Lizardfolk he merely says, "Whether we find ourselves up to our gizzards in freezing blizzards or cutthroat lizards, a warm meal and stalwart companions are all that we will need to survive. The surplus of both resources we bring to this new land is sure to allow us to thrive!"

Ahmanae
2014-03-03, 03:40 AM
Lilliana reclined in the bow of the boat, and sipped her tea. Frowning slightly, she squinted at the cup for a moment before taking another sip and nodding slightly. She didn't have any honey to add, but she could fake the taste well enough with her gift. Ari perched nonchalantly on one of her horns, trying to appear at ease with the coastline approaching, though he soon gave up, and began cursing at the gulls flying above instead.

Calinero
2014-03-03, 07:49 AM
Edwin blinked as the effect of Sharris's...spell?...settled over him. The fact that others were making preparations made him wonder if there was anything he needed to do. He had his sword, but felt that arriving with a sword drawn might make for a bad impression.

"We might want to figure out what we're going to say to them while we're rowing there," Edwin said. "Make sure that we're all on the same page. Something about the ICT, and how opening trade routes would benefit everyone?"

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 07:55 AM
Aevien

Aevien enjoyed the connection to Sharris. If he had not experienced it before he would have been concerned due to the timing, but luckily that was not the case.

"I suggest we keep it friendly and play it by ear. Depending on their sofistication talking about the ICT may be meaningless to them. Who wants to do the talking? And by that I mean who is skilled at that sort of thing?"

Ahmanae
2014-03-03, 08:12 AM
"I assume they brought me on to do the wheeling and dealing; it's what I was doing when they hired me." She said, sipping from her cup.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 08:37 AM
Aevien

"Then I guess you're our girl here, but lets not get too carried away with the wheeling and dealing as we may need to deal with this people a very long time."

Calinero
2014-03-03, 09:50 AM
Edwin

Edwin nods. 'Yes, I, uh...I probably shouldn't do the talking." He shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "What did you say your names were, by the way?"

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-03, 10:40 AM
Rohan wasnt sure how to put into words the job he came to fill in. It was probably going to be complicated to explain. He took a sip from his cup and watched. "I am Rohan." He replied before going back to enjoying the aromatic and flavorful tea. Once again, leaving Naohr looking him with a glare.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 10:44 AM
Aevien

"I am Aevien and this is Ghost," he said pointing at the big cat."

bcool999
2014-03-03, 01:23 PM
Petan

"Petan Silverkin at your service." Says Petan to Edwin with his hand extended for a handshake.

Taking a thoughtful sip of his tea before speaking, Petan thinks aloud about how they should approach the welcoming party on shore. "I suppose the honest answer is that we are explorers hoping to find untapped resources and profitable trade. We should probably also explain that we will probably be their new neighbors for at least a year, and possibly longer if the trade here is good."

Another sip before continuing. "If we are lucky, the locals will understand trade which provides us the benefits of both non-hostile communication, and possibly access to whoever or whatever they trade with. Otherwise, this may be a rough landing depending on their proclivities towards strangers."

Calinero
2014-03-03, 01:27 PM
Edwin

Edwin will shake Petan's hand, looking thoughtfully out at the shore.

"I don't know if they're friendly or not," he says, "But whatever happened to those survivors who told us about this place probably wasn't done to them by lizardfolk. I imagine there's got to be worse things in this place than lizards...maybe they'll be able to tell us more."

If there's any rowing to be done, Edwin will help.

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-03, 03:13 PM
The Explorers

The skiffs make it over the surf easily enough and the skilled sailors don’t lose a single supply. The sun sparkles off the wonderously blue water spraying a rainbow mist into the air as the skiffs cut through the sea. After several minutes the skiffs make land, pulling up onto the white sand. The fifteen sailors with you jump out and pull the boats further up onto the shore. They then turn and draw weapons, swords, guns and crossbows, they are smart enough to wait to use them though, standing near the supplies warily.

Bluetongue

Brokenleg looks at you worriedly, you see the trust in his eyes as he motions you forward to inspect these strange newcomers. Gorehowl looks tense and stands at your side as you move to intercept this possible threat.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 03:52 PM
Aevien

Aevien steps in front of the sailors. "Put the weapons away, lets just calm down until we have a need to act. Weapons out do not not promote a peaceful meeting."

Ghost walks besides Aevien, looks back and the sailors and growls softly, almost a purr.

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-03, 04:17 PM
"Let us handle this and please do not respond with violence unless you get personally threatened please." Rohan requested.

"Guys, shall we use in some kind of formation while making contact with them?" Rohan wondered.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 05:57 PM
Aevien

Aevien looks perplexed. "What do you mean by formation?"

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-03, 06:09 PM
"Well, in case we could get attacked. Not saying that we will but its always a possibility and I doubt everyone in the group is capable of engaging in physical combat if it ends up in that. A formation could give us the chance to defend ourselves more ffectively in case something goes wrong. " Rohan pointed out.

Calinero
2014-03-03, 06:24 PM
Edwin

Edwin frowns. "I don't think we need anything that intricate. Too much preparation might invite trouble. Besides, I think I see some of them on their way now. I guess if you're good in a fight, just stay near the front."

Edwin makes his way out of the boat, glad to be back on dry land. He turns to look at the approaching lizard people.

The Grim Author
2014-03-03, 06:57 PM
Liatha shrugged. "If it comes down to it, I suppose I'll do something. These claws aren't for show, you know." She looked at the lizardfolk. She really hoped they wouldn't need an interpreter.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 07:10 PM
Aevien
Aevien stays at the front and squats beside Ghost, scratching her neck. "I understand, it makes sense. So long as we don't look confrontational."

bcool999
2014-03-03, 09:34 PM
Petan

Petan steps out of the boat, careful not to spill the last few sips of tea he has, and takes in the new land that stands before him bursting with possibilities. He scans the beach starting with the village and sweeping his gaze inland and continuing his scan until he reaches the beach opposite the newcomers.

Petan lets out a low whistle. Somehow it just didn't seem real. A continent rising from the ocean? Obsurd, must have been a reef and the captain was trying to save his pride! Yet here it is laid out before me like a buffet. Petan sniffs the air, scans the sky, and tries to figure how long the weather will stay this gorgeous.

After that, he remembers that he has new friends to meet (or foes to fight!) and makes his way to Aevien's side. He raises his cup to him before taking a sip, his last one, and waving at the lizardfolk approaching.

Perception (or how does this great big land look DM?): [roll0]
Survival (To determine the weather): [roll1]

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-03, 09:52 PM
You see a vast land. The coastline continues out of sight in both directions. The forest near the village seems normal enough, but beyond that, you see trees so immense they make thousand year old oaks look like saplings, mountains far larger than the division risising out of the jungle in places alone like shards of ice growing out of a green garden. The sounds of birds and animals echo from the forest, you recognize some but others are foreign.

The weather seems fair and you detect no sudden drops in pressure which indicate rain, which is probably common in a jungle or on the coast.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 09:53 PM
Aevien

Aevien nods to Petan, staying squatting waiting on the lizards approaching.

Prehysterical
2014-03-03, 10:05 PM
Bluetongue eventually realizes that the strangers are waiting on the lizardfolk to make the first move. Taking this as a hopeful sign, he beckons Caesin and Gorehowl to move forward with him.

Stopping ten feet in front of the visitors, he halts and places his claws behind his back. Bluetongue makes a point out of laying his tail out to the side. He trusts Gorehowl and Caesin to defend him if things get ugly. The young Allosaurus growls at the newcomers and the druid is forced to lay a hand on her neck to calm her.

Regarding the outlanders with open curiosity, Bluetongue speaks to them in the language of The People (Draconic):

"You come bearing weapons, that much I can see. Yet you have not attacked us yet, so I will take that as a good sign. We are the People of The Land. I have not seen your kind before. Who are you? The People of The Sea?"

The Grim Author
2014-03-03, 10:49 PM
Liatha was the first to respond, surprised that they would speak Draconic. Still, she responded in kind. "We're from a place far from here. We mean you no harm; we're representatives of a trading company, here to explore and set up an outpost." She bit her lip. "I... should probably mention that, by our perception, your land appeared suddenly out of the sea. No warning or anything. Just... all of a sudden, where there was open ocean, there's a new landmass."

Prehysterical
2014-03-03, 10:54 PM
Bluetongue tilts his head curiously at the response. Some amongst the party might be unnerved by the fact that he has not blinked yet.

"It is good that you seek to trade, but I am afraid that I do not understand. What is an 'outpost'? And what do you mean that our land just 'appeared'? It has always been here, as have we."

Calinero
2014-03-03, 11:09 PM
Edwin

Edwin was a little overwhelmed by the way the land stretched on. He had been imagining an island since he heard the stories of Emergence, but this...this was really a continent.

He tensed a bit when the lizards approached, but they didn't seem hostile. One of the more humanoid ones calmed the less humanoid one, then seemed to speak. Unfortunately, Edwin had no clue what it was saying.

Liatha seemed to know, which was good. Unfortunately, she wasn't translating. "Liatha," Edwin said in Common, "What are they saying? Are they friendly?"

The Grim Author
2014-03-03, 11:21 PM
"One moment, friend, and I'll answer your questions. I need to speak with my compatriots." She turned to Edwin, switching languages like most people switch facial expressions. "They're a little wary, but they take us not attacking as a good sign. He's asking what I mean when I say his continent just appeared out of nowhere. ...Also, he doesn't know what an outpost is."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-04, 12:46 PM
"Liatha, you could tell him an outpost is a establishment to bring protection to their....." Rohan paused for a second as he realized he didnt know exactly what kind of settlement it was. "....lets, just say for their people. Also if you dont mind, could you ask him if he knows anything about previous travellers that came to their land? " Rohan requested her.

Smileybastard
2014-03-04, 01:05 PM
Aevien

"I would suggest something simpler. It is a village for our people from which to trade from."

The Grim Author
2014-03-04, 04:08 PM
Liatha nodded. "That works." She turned to the lizard-man, switching back to Draconic. "An outpost is a little village, of sorts, that we would set up, from which we would be able to trade with your people. As for this land appearing... again, that's our perception, although I'm fairly certain ships have passed through water that existed where the middle of your continent would be. But... would you happen to know anything about a ship that may have passed by here a while ago?"

bcool999
2014-03-04, 04:22 PM
Petan

Petan listens to the growls and hisses of the Lizard language, and to Liathas own hisses and translations. Everyone else seemed on top of what to say so Petan decided to be ready for what the Lizardfolk would do. Even if he doesn't understand the language, he hopes he can still pick out body language. After all, with some dishes it is the presentation that speaks loudest.

Sense Motive on Lizardfolk: [roll0]

Prehysterical
2014-03-04, 04:29 PM
Bluetongue shakes his head.

"We have never seen boats as large as the ones that you use. They are new to us."

His head perks up as he considers Liatha's questions.

You wish to make a village? If it is a home you are desiring, why not join our tribe? It is obvious that you are strangers to The Land and we would welcome you if peace is what you seek. You seem to have much knowledge in things that we do not, and we know The Land as well as the claws on our feet. Many arms make for light work, and it always helps to have kin nearby."

Smileybastard
2014-03-04, 04:34 PM
Aevien

Aevien remains relaxed squatting beside Ghost, scratching and rubbing her neck. He smells the new smells of this land and the colours. He is eager to get past the talking and look around.

The Grim Author
2014-03-05, 12:35 AM
Liatha chewed her lip some more. "I'm... not sure I'm authorized to do that. We're just employees of a trading company looking to set up some new trade routes between you, the local population, and our home continents." She turned to the others, her teeth biting into her lip so hard it was almost bleeding. She clearly wanted some help with what to say... Still, time to relay information. "They haven't seen any ships like ours before, and... I think he wants our landing party to join his tribe? Or thinks that we should?"

Smileybastard
2014-03-05, 12:53 AM
Aevien

Aevien looks up at Liatha without rising. "I think there is no harm in accepting the invitation for now. Certainly they could be a big help and we could learn a lot."

Calinero
2014-03-05, 01:38 PM
Edwin

Edwin coughed in alarm. "I, ah...maybe we should ask what that entails first? Make sure there are no weird initiation rites or that we're not signing over all our property to the tribe? And I don't think we have the authority to sign anyone but ourselves up for this."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-05, 04:32 PM
"Well, I, for one, think it would be better if we take our conversation to the inside the tribe with the leaders, not to mention more comfortably. " Rohan replied.

bcool999
2014-03-06, 12:22 AM
Petan

"I agree. Since we don't seem to be close to fighting why don't we sit down somewhere more comfortable to discuss things?" He turns to the sailors guarding the supplies, "Would you all mind watching the supplies while we go make nice with the locals? If a ruckus gets stirred up make sure you have your weapons on hand... Just in case."

The Grim Author
2014-03-06, 12:31 AM
"All right... I suppose that we could do that. One moment." Liatha turned to the lizardman, switching back to Draconic (and secretly hoping one of their village elders had some sort of language comprehension spell they could cast on all of them). "We've talked about it, and... um... before we agree to anything, we'd like to meet with... um... do you have... village elders? A council? Are you the leader? Do you have a group of advisors? ...do you have a place we could go to discuss things?" Her voice had a definite tone of "Please say yes" toward the end of it, as well as a bit of "I am stressing the hell out right now".

It was about then that Lord Emerald decided to crawl up from her shoulder onto the top of her head, probably to get a better view of the lizard-man.

Prehysterical
2014-03-06, 12:47 AM
The lizardfolk druid nods in understanding, gazing curiously at the strange scorpion atop her head.

Knowledge (nature) for Lord Emerald: [roll0]

"Ah, yes of course. This is not a trivial decision to make, so haste is not too warranted. I am not the leader." Though apparently more trusted than I suspected, Bluetongue thought.

"If it is the wisdom of my elders you seek, I shall speak quickly with Brokenleg. Come with me and we shall discuss more in the village, where we may take our ease."

He motions with a beckoning swipe of his claw and a thrust of his chin. Turning around, Bluetongue, Caesin and Gorehowl strolled back over to the other lizardfolk.

"Old One, these travellers seek trade and are considering becoming part of our tribe. This has been a most unusual day. I propose a feast to welcome them, so that they may be strangers no more."

Ahmanae
2014-03-06, 05:53 AM
Lilliana seems somewhat lost, desperately wishing that she had foreseen this difference in speech; Ari, however, seems nonplussed, merely perching on one of her horns and preening.

The Grim Author
2014-03-06, 07:00 PM
Liatha turned to her group. "He's leading us to his village's elders." She then turned back and began following, silently praying that the village elders had something to translate with.

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-06, 08:02 PM
Bluetongue and Gorehowl walk the thirty yards or so back to the village with the newcomers in tow. The villagers treat the explorers with a wary curiosity. Brokenleg holds up a hand and the villagers all back off. He motions the group into his hut, the largest in the village still not so large as to be roomy. Palejaw, Gorehowl and Brokenleg sit around a fire that is burning bleach white drift wood, and there is enough room for all of the explorers and Bluetongue in the hut so long as the bigger animal companions wait outside.

As you all settle in, Brokenleg pulls out a small scrimshaw totem and begins to chant in Draconic. As his chant heightens, you realize you are beginning to understand him and by the end you completely unerstand him as he speaks in a clear voice.

Finishing the chant, he sits down. "Hello travelers. I am called Brokenleg, elder of this village. Where have you come from that you could cross the endless sea?" he asks in a wary yet kind voice.

Calinero
2014-03-06, 11:58 PM
Edwin

Edwin blinked in surprise as the older lizardman started speaking in what sounded like Common. "Your totem lets you do that? Or, wait, spellcasting--" He broke off and blushed. "Sorry, just ignore me, I'm not the one you should talk to about that sort of thing."

The Grim Author
2014-03-07, 01:46 AM
Upon hearing that Edwin could understand the elder, Liatha let out a sigh of relief. Thank the gods," she muttered. "I am so relieved."

DrunkenMists
2014-03-07, 05:06 AM
These people seem almost too friendly considering were strangers who talk about this being a new continent that didn't exist till recently... Sharris thinks to herself.

She grabs her Psycrystal who is taking a nap on the end of her shortspear and sets it down to scurry off and check out the area surrounding the hut, giving it instructions to hurry back after a quick jaunt around the outside of the hut.

Psycrystal Perception: [roll0] (can only see out to 40 ft.)

Ahmanae
2014-03-07, 05:55 AM
"Hail, Brokenleg," Lilliana replied, relieved that she could now follow the conversation. "we come from lands far to the east and west, many months travel over the sea. One of our ships discovered this land not long ago, and our people sent us here to see this new land with our own eyes."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-07, 02:15 PM
Rohan resisted to laugh as he heard Brokenleg´s name. He was thankful about having left Naohr outside. He knew he had to remain serious and try to get this roling now that they managed to get to communicate. "As we told your friend, we came here on stead of our contractors to seek a truce to start a trading business with your people. " He added.

Meanwhile, Naohr was on the floor belly up laughing uncontrollably.

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-07, 03:42 PM
Brokenleg looks alarmed at the mention of other continents, but you can tell he wouldn't have the means to know any different. He becomes embroiled in deep thought for a moment at the mention of a truce and of trade.

"A truce? We have no blood feud outlander, a truce is not necessary. A tradepost, you call it? What kind of things do you bring from your lands?" he asks sounding excited at the prospect of having any sort of foreign supplies or luxuries for his people.

You see lizardfolk going about their daily business, cleaning fish, reparing nets, a few warriors stand near the hut you're in but they look like a precaution not aggressive.

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-07, 04:24 PM
"I meant....something like a treaty to trade" He corrected himself feeling a bit embarrassed.

Rolling for Knowledge (Local) to know about the most commonly traded goods of the ICT [roll0]

Calinero
2014-03-07, 04:59 PM
Edwin

"A blood feud?" Edwin spoke again, forgetting momentarily that he had intended to shut up and let others do all the talking. "Are there any...nations, or tribes, or whatever you like to be called, that you do have a blood feud with? We have also been tasked with exploration, and I'd rather not walk into the middle of any disputes."

bcool999
2014-03-07, 08:39 PM
Petan

Petan is at first surprised when the chief starts slowly changing from his hissy snaky language to normal common. That will sure make communication better... When the chief asks what they brought for trade Petan tries to explain what they hope to accomplish here before the chief gets his hopes up.

"Greetings I am Petan Silverkin, thank you for being such gracious hosts. We didn't really bring much to trade away I think. You see, we weren't even sure there was anyone to trade with here. Heck, up until a while ago we didn't know there was a here to be found. That is why we were sent to explore for resources, trade goods, and new peoples to trade with. We aim to establish a settlement where we can store goods we gather while we wait for the ships to take them home, those ships will also provide us with things we can't make for ourselves and also goods to trade with the peoples we find here. What we brought with us is supposed to keep us going for the year it will take for the ships to return. It will probably be a couple of years before trade becomes more regular."

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-07, 08:54 PM
Brokenleg strokes his frills in thought. "Even if it takes a few years, trade would be good for the lizardfolk tribes. As for blood feuds, no we have been at peace with one another for several years, ever since the filthy Nagaji began to emerge from the jungle to raid us occassionally." he says with disdain.

His voice gets serious. "As much as I would welcome trade and benevolent newcomers, it may be difficult to convince the other tribes, we are an isolated people. Though it may not matter, because you mean to go into the jungle and therefore you will surely die." he says.

Smileybastard
2014-03-07, 08:59 PM
Aevien

"Do your people not enter the jungle?"

The Grim Author
2014-03-07, 09:46 PM
Liatha suppresses the urge to demand what, exactly, was wrong with an entire race of people. Instead, she simply said, "What have these... Nagaji? What have they done to earn such ire?"

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-08, 09:08 AM
"Is it really that dangerous?" Rohan with a bit of curiosity and excitement.

Prehysterical
2014-03-09, 11:33 PM
While Bluetongue knows that Brokenleg is used to being bombarded with questions from curious hatchlings, he decides to intervene on behalf of the elder.

"The jungle is not a place to enter lightly or unprepared. Of all the tribe, only myself, Palejaw, and occasionally Gorehowl venture far into The Edge. Many things make their home underneath its trees. Plants with a hunger for flesh. Great Lizards and other beasts that make Caesin out to be the child that she is. Wasting diseases and poison from both flora and fauna. The jungle is a place where useful things can be found, but we would not make our home there. I have seen with my own eyes the ruins of those who have tried."

Looking over at Liatha, he responds, "The Nagaji have troubled us since before I was hatched. Their raids are without any real pattern and we are not the only tribe to have suffered their attacks. They seek to take The Land away from the tribes. Further up the stream they dwell within the deepest, darkest parts of the jungle. From what we have been able to gather, the Nagaji have places of worship devoted to a group of snake-spirits they call the 'Naga'."

Turning his gaze upon Petan, Bluetongue once again tilts his head curiously.
"You all keep speaking of erecting a separate village for trade. Are you concerned we would not welcome you? From what you say, it will be many moons before you see your kin again. Where would you build this village?"

Calinero
2014-03-10, 07:49 AM
Edwin

"I don't think it was you we were worried about, ah, specifically," Edwin said. His mind was filled with the images of lost ruins, and mysterious jungles... "we were just worried because the ship that accidentally discovered this continent seemed to have been attacked by something. We weren't sure what. Maybe they ran afoul of these...nagaji?" He tried out the unfamiliar word.

bcool999
2014-03-10, 12:48 PM
Petan

Petan nods his head at what Edwin says before adding his own observations. "Not only that, but we also need to establish a port that can berth those great big ships we came on. Otherwise it will be difficult for trade to flow with everything needing to be loaded on skiffs like we were."

Petan listens to the stories of the jungle, I don't think I have ever explored a place like this... Man-Eating plants, exotic poisons and toxins, and great big beasts sounds like new exciting ingredients to my ears! thinks Petan to himself.

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-10, 05:59 PM
At this, Palejaw speaks up, "Three days journey along the coast to the east of here, there is a mountain who's southern part spills forth into the ocean creating a large cape. Within the cape is a large and calm bay. Perhaps this is a place for your great boats." he says in a rough voice.

"Of, course,' he adds, 'there are dangers. One must either scale the cliff face of the cape or enter the jungle to go around the mountain."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-10, 07:13 PM
"It could be worth to take a look at the place at the very least..." Rohan replied. "... but considering the environment we would be in need of a map and maybe a guide to help us travel to there. Brokenleg, sir, would there be anyway for you to lend us a hand on the matter?"

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-10, 07:22 PM
Brokenleg thinks for a moment, "My people have never risked the time nor danger to ourselves to truly map out the area, especially the jungle. The cape is several days west, the next tribe of our people is several days east, the forest is a day deep before the jungle. Of my people, only Bluetongue is really capable of prolonged survival in the jungle. Of course Palejaw lives there and may help you if asked." He gives that last, a look that screams unlikely about Palejaw, who has been sternly staring at all of you this whole time.

"Bluetongue, you should accompany these newcomers, I know you long to be beyond the simple life of this village and this may prove to good a chance for you to pass up."

Prehysterical
2014-03-10, 07:54 PM
For an instant, Bluetongue's head droops a little and his tail goes slack.

"I do not wish myself to raise myself above the others, Old One. But I will gladly travel with this band. There is much for us to learn from each other."

Casting a hopeful gaze up at Palejaw, he asks, "What say you, Palejaw? I could use your help with this. Perhaps these outlanders might even teach you a little of their magic, should they know any."

Calinero
2014-03-10, 11:41 PM
Edwin gulped at the description they were giving the jungle. He could feel Herman trembling in his pocket. If the lizardfolk who had lived here for so long were afraid of this place, wasn't there a good reason?

"That's very kind of you to offer," he said to the lizardfolk. "I'm sure we would all appreciate any help you can offer." He directed that last part at Bluetongue, but gave a glance at Palejaw. He wasn't sure how to read the body language of a lizard, but he wasn't sure that Palejaw liked them.

bcool999
2014-03-11, 12:36 AM
Petan

Petan listens to the description of the surrounding area, memorizing it as he would a recipe me means to try. Hmm... I don't see us carrying all the supplies from the skiffs while scaling a mountain, or while traversing a hazardous jungle. Maybe it would be best to enter this cape by water? Then we can explore possible land routes to and from it.

"Excuse me for asking, but would it not be possible to enter the cape by water? We can row the skiffs filled with our supplies down the coast and enter the cape from the sea. There we can unload and begin settling in. We can also use that as a base to explore the rest of the area."

Smileybastard
2014-03-11, 05:22 AM
Aevien

Aevien listens to all the discussion about the jungle and the proposed harbour. He knew how many people feared the unknown and also how dangerous the wilderness could be.
"Climbing cliffs with people who are not skilled at climbing is very dangerous, even without a lot of gear. How much gear do we have?"

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-11, 01:32 PM
"It will be a pleasure to travel with you Bluetongue. " Rohan said taking advantage of the time he had left to speak to him. He then gave Bluetongue a warm smile. He wondered when they would begin the journey to the cape.

"Thank you for your assistance, Brokenleg. It was certainly lucky for us to have ended up here first."

The Grim Author
2014-03-11, 05:08 PM
Liatha nodded. "Yes... thank you, Elder. I just have one question..." She looked at the totem that allowed them to share a language. "Can we take this with us? Only I'm the only one of our little band of surveyors who can speak your language... and I'd rather not have to run messages back and forth for the whole trip."

Ahmanae
2014-03-13, 10:42 AM
Lilliana sat on her haunches, content to let the others speak. Ari, seemingly oblivious to it all, cleaned his feathers as he preached on one of her horns, his back to the gathering.

Calinero
2014-03-13, 11:50 AM
Edwin wasn't sure if the Elder was going to let them take his translating totem--the thing was probably valuable. Still, it would definitely be nice to not have to rely on a single translator. Maybe they could spend some time on route trying to learn each other's languages?

"I have some experience climbing," he said tentatively, "And I think it would be good for our mission if we actually scouted out some of the land around here on our way." Mostly, Edwin just didn't want to get back onto a ship.

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-15, 02:46 PM
Brokenleg hands over the totem without a thought and adds, "This is the first time I've ever had to use this in my entire life, I thought it a useless trinket, perhaps you could return it to me once you've had a chance to learn the tongue of the Dragon Fathers" he bows slightly.

Palejaw speaks to the skiff idea. "The water is a possible route, though no less likely to contain dangerous monsters, less poison and disease though." he says gruffly.

Smileybastard
2014-03-15, 05:20 PM
Aevien

"I suggest we take the jungle route. We need to know there is a passable land route or the spot is useless." He looks around at the gathered people. "And besides I tire of the sea."

Ghost growls his agreement.

Calinero
2014-03-15, 05:28 PM
Edwin

"I'm tired of it as well," he said. "Besides...we're supposed to investigate this continent, not the oceans around it." He nodded to Brokenleg and the other lizards. "We appreciate your help here very much, and we'll take good care of this item until we can return it. How soon could we be ready to leave?"

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-16, 04:41 PM
"Not to mention that it would be a nice change of pace after the boat journey. I really like the idea of finally stretching the legs." Rohan added.

Dagul Thor'Nix
2014-03-16, 04:52 PM
"Very well." Brokenleg says. "Will you be leaving your boats and men here, and will they remain peaceful after you depart?" he asks.

It is about 2 in the afternoon and Palejaw leaves the tent saying, "Come, you do not move in the jungle after dark, that is a sure way to die."

DaOldeWolf
2014-03-18, 07:58 PM
"I agree. We probably should give instructions to the sailors. " Rohan replied before starting to follow Palejaw.

Calinero
2014-03-19, 11:17 AM
"I'm sure our men will remain peaceful," Edwin said with a smile. He was so happy not to be on a boat anymore, it was hard to think of anything else. "We'll go tell them what's happening, and then we can set off."