PDA

View Full Version : Is Durkon.........(SPOILERS)

Haruki-kun
2007-01-31, 10:54 PM
...........going to die?

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm probably not the first to bring it up, but.......

The oracle said he would return home post-humously....... and the leter Mio was carrying said the Hig Priest of Thor allowed him to return home.......

Plus, the Oracle also specified that ELAN, AT LEAST, would get a happy ending. So someone else won't?

Does that mean he's going to die?

The Extinguisher
2007-01-31, 11:01 PM
Oracles are, by a rule, alawys right or never right (except for one out-of-character and very important prediction, but lets not get into that)

As we can see that The Oracle was right on Roy's questions, and Haley's question, that means she is always right. Durkon will die.

TinSoldier
2007-01-31, 11:03 PM
There are reasons for that prophecy, as well, that I shouldn't spoil if you haven't read On the Origin of PCs.

Haruki-kun
2007-01-31, 11:05 PM
There are reasons for that prophecy, as well, that I shouldn't spoil if you haven't read On the Origin of PCs.

Yeah, I read it.... I know Durkon will die eventually, as the oracle said, but..... I mean, does this mean it will be really soon?

And...... I didn't get Haley's prediction at all. I know what she asked, but I didn't understand the answer :smallbiggrin:

The Extinguisher
2007-02-01, 12:17 AM
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth is a proverb that means that you shouldn't second guess good things that happen to you. Haley didn't (Nale's date) and she got her speech back.

AznEclipse
2007-02-01, 12:22 AM
It seems that both Roy and Haley received correct prophecies from the Oracle, so Durkon's should be correct too (seems this oracle is fairly reliable). What we don't know is WHEN he will die.

It could be five strips before the end of the comic (The Giant has made clear that the comic has a finite length and that he has already envisioned the final strip), it could be when Xykon attacks (can't put it aside as a possibility, who'd have though Miko would kill Shojo?)

Glad to know he'll be returning to the dwarven lands though.

Geaine
2007-02-01, 02:27 AM
I'm thinking he will die soon at the end of the the Xykon/Gates storyarc. Kinda like a replay of the first story where the snarl was originally caged.

The original party and the OOTS seem to be very similar.

FullPlateJacket
2007-02-01, 02:35 AM
I'm thinking he will die soon at the end of the the Xykon/Gates storyarc. Kinda like a replay of the first story where the snarl was originally caged.

The original party and the OOTS seem to be very similar.

I don't know about that. Girard and Elan could easily be parallels, but most of the rest don't fit. V could be parallel to Dorukan, that works. So, there are Haley, Belkar, Roy and Durkon, and then Lirian, Kraagor, the halfling rogue, and Soon. Belkar and Kraagor are both barbarians, but Durkon and Kraagor are both dwarves. Haley and the rogue are probably parallels, but they aren't similar other than in class. Roy is parallel to Soon, just because Roy has to avenge his dad, while Soon had to avenge his wife. That leaves Lirian and whoever's left.

Geaine
2007-02-01, 02:54 AM
Right, it's not an exact parallel but reading the snarl story over again I got a feeling of the story being re-done. Not in a cheap rip-off way but in a "this is unfinished buisness coming back to bite you in the arse" way.

BardicLasher
2007-02-01, 08:13 AM
Durkon is DEFINITELY going to die.

...But I'm sure SOMEONE will hav 5,000 GP worth of diamonds handy.

Andiamo
2007-02-01, 01:54 PM
Too bad Durkon is the one that can actually use those diamonds.

Lial Swiftlight
2007-02-01, 02:24 PM
Of course Durkon will die. So will all the characters, eventually, unless they crack the secret of immortality.

For all we know, Durkon's death could merely be a bit in an epilogue stating that he continued to work in human lands 'till the end of his days, whereupon his body was taken back to his homeland and he was given a funeral befitting a hero of his stature.

Shattersnap
2007-02-01, 02:35 PM
...........going to die?

Plus, the Oracle also specified that ELAN, AT LEAST, would get a happy ending. So someone else won't?

It was implied at some point during the conversation with the oracle I think that Belkar does not have very long to live. I always thought that he might be the one with the unhappy ending. Also, the entire "happiness" rule might not necessarily apply only to the OOTS members, it might also mean someone else other than OOTS will have an unhappy ending.

Just a thought...

Swordguy
2007-02-01, 02:58 PM
It was implied at some point during the conversation with the oracle I think that Belkar does not have very long to live. I always thought that he might be the one with the unhappy ending. Also, the entire "happiness" rule might not necessarily apply only to the OOTS members, it might also mean someone else other than OOTS will have an unhappy ending.

Just a thought...

EDIT: Never mind.

V Junior
2007-02-01, 03:36 PM
MAYBE, Durkon will die while protecting Soon's Gate, but the other OOTS will survive. They get really upset. So then, we see Hilgya and Durkon's ghost together. Hilgya is really sad, so, at the ghost's wishes, she returns him home. OR, the OOTs meet Hilgya again, Durkon is dying in Hilgya's arms, and he says, "Lass, take me home." Hilgya respects Durkon, and carries out his final wish.

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-02-01, 03:56 PM
Warning, Origins of PCs Spoiler:
Durkon got kicked out of the dwarven lands because the High Priest of Odin had a prophecy about when Durkon returns home, he will herald some great doom and destruction. Obviously Durkon dies at some points so either he comes home as an undead minion (post humonus return) or someone brings his corpse home and leads something nasty home.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-01, 05:01 PM
Of course Durkon will die. So will all the characters, eventually, unless they crack the secret of immortality.

V will crack that secret, of that I am sure.

Greebo
2007-02-01, 05:03 PM
V will crack that secret, of that I am sure.
Been done - by lich's.

Which V might become someday, who knows - he's that obsessed with power.

Awesome Girl
2007-02-01, 05:15 PM
Durkon wouldn't return soon because he doesn't know he's allowed to. Even if he did, he would probably finish his journey with the Oots anyway.

Sisqui
2007-02-01, 05:22 PM
I think Durkon believes returning to dwarven lands- even posthumously- is a happy ending. He just doesn't know about the other prophesy concerning his return.

V could become a baelnorn (?) The elven protector liches.........I read about those somewhere.......

Grod_The_Giant
2007-02-01, 06:14 PM
Durkon dies and is taken back to his dwarven homelands...to be ressurected!

Haruki-kun
2007-02-01, 09:05 PM

Just a thought...

Oh.....good point.

dragongirl13
2007-02-02, 12:01 AM
I predict that Durkon will die at Girard's Gate and when they get to Kraagor's Gate, they randomly find Durkon's homeland. The dwarven clerics resurrect Durkon, and soon after that Xykon's army comes in and starts trying to wipe out the dwarves to get at Kraagor's tomb and the gate it protects.

Fighteer
2007-02-02, 01:40 PM
:elan: got his happy ending - with :haley: , lest we forget. Belkar hasn't caused the death of anyone on his list yet, although #408 leaves plenty of room for him to fulfill that prophecy.

It's interesting to note that, although the Oracle made it pretty clear that the phrasing of Roy's question was dumb, Xykon is going to be at Girard's gate at some point, so it's unlikely that the story arc will completely resolve itself at Azure City.

Uzraid
2007-02-02, 01:50 PM
It's interesting to note that, although the Oracle made it pretty clear that the phrasing of Roy's question was dumb, Xykon is going to be at Girard's gate at some point, so it's unlikely that the story arc will completely resolve itself at Azure City.

I feel like a moron for not thinking of that implication. Hmmm.

U

Thom
2007-02-02, 02:05 PM
I feel like a moron for not thinking of that implication. Hmmm.

U

I think the story is going to unfold like so.

Durkon will die defending Azure City from Xykon's army.
the OotS, will be forced to flee and decide to take Durkon home.

Something will force Xykon's army to follow after the OotS, bringing about the doom predicted in the prophecy of Odin.

It just seems to me that his is the next plot arc to be resolved, after Azure City is lost.

Sparra
2007-02-02, 03:17 PM

And also -spoilers for OtOotPCs-

Haley's dad is in Tyranaria (which I probably spelled wrong) which is on the western continent. So, yeah, I expect they might go there to either get Haley's dad or follow Xykon to Girard's gate.

Bozidar
2007-02-02, 03:26 PM
Durkon is not an immortal so obviously he will die at some point.

Darkhands
2007-02-02, 03:33 PM
I posted this in the 'What you you think the MiTD is?' thread but it turned into a prediction of the whole OOTS storyline. So I feel it's ok to repost it here. ;)

I believe the MitD to be none other than the snarl! A weakened form of the snarl, but the snarl none the less. I believe Xykon was able to extract a part of the snarl when Redcloak burned down Lirian's gate in the forest. Xykon is trying to unseal the other gates so as to bring him to full power.

It's all slickly hinted at in the 'crayon recollection' of comics 273-277.

For one, in Comic 23 the first showing of the MitD's eyes match the snarl's eyes in Comic 273.
We all love the running joke about how the MitD never sees the gates 'Gate? What gate?'. I believe it's more than just a gag... The gates are meant to keep the snarl imprisoned, to hide the rifts from the snarl that it might free itself through. That's why he can't see the gates. The snarl can't perceive its own prison!

In fact, I believe that the entire ending of the comic is secretly revealed in the crayon segment.

Look at comic 276. Note the 6 original adventurers that created the gates. Does the party look familiar? It matches the OOTS! It seems as though the Order of the Stick is following the same path that the original adventurers took. They will ultimately repeat the fates of the old party in order to save the universe.

In 276, Kraagor is killed while sealing one of the rifts. Kraagor is the dwarf of the party, the counterpart to Durkon. Durkon will die heroically while sealing a rift just as his counterpart did in the past, bringing the Oracles prediction of him returning to his homeland posthumously to fruition.

In 277, Dorukan creates his gate using powerful magic. Dorukan is Vaarsuvius' counterpart, Vaarsuvius will do the same.

Girard Draketooth creates his gate using powerful illusions. Girard is Elan's counterpart, and Elan is a master of illusions.

Serini, the halfling of the original party, creates a giant castle filled to the brim with terrible monsters to guard her gate. Exactly something Belkar would do.

Roy/Soon Kim, and Haley/Lirian are a little harder to figure out...

Lirian creates her gate using the trees and the forest to protect it. While not exactly matching with Haley's personality, I believe the unrevealed storyline regarding her imprisoned father will make the tie-in for a forest gate make sense for Haley.

Soon Kim created the Sapphire Guard to protect his gate, a group of Paladins dedicated to its protection. Perhaps Roy will create a group of warriors to do the same? Perhaps he will blend in his family's magic to do so, acquiring paladin-like traits, to make up for, storyline-wise, for the upcoming fall/death of Miko (we all know it's coming)? (Post re-post edit: Told you she'd fall! However! Could her redemption end up with her and Roy reforming the Sapphire Guard together to protect the gate?)

So there you have it. The OotS follows the path of the original party and saves the universe. Only I think they won't collapse and break apart in hatred like the old party did. Durkon's death will weigh heavily on everyone, bringing the party to the brink. But instead of collapsing as the old party did, Elan will be able to save the day, and bring about his 'Happy ending' that the oracle predicted for him.

Ok, so a simple question of 'What do you think the MitD is?' became 'My prediction of the entire storyline for the Order of the Stick'. So what! :)

SteveMB
2007-02-02, 03:56 PM
Having established the existence of five gates, I assume the story will come down to the fate of the last one.

Fighteer
2007-02-02, 04:02 PM
Having established the existence of five gates, I assume the story will come down to the fate of the last one.
Considering that it's taken nearly 300 strips to get from the Redmountain Gate to Azure City, OOTS will be around for a looooong time if they have to deal with each gate individually.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-02, 04:04 PM
Durkon is going to die and return posthumously as a zombie in Xykon's army as it brings ruin upon his homeland. At least, that's the most obvious solution, which means I'm probably completely wrong. :smalltongue:

SteveMB
2007-02-02, 04:15 PM
Considering that it's taken nearly 300 strips to get from the Redmountain Gate to Azure City, OOTS will be around for a looooong time if they have to deal with each gate individually.

Not that that's a bad thing.
According to the commentaries in No Cure For The Paladin Blues, the Giant expects several more books worth of strips, and possibly one or two more separate volumes (one possibility mentioned: the life and unlife of Xykon up to the point where we meet him).

With two more gates and multiple opportunities for side quests (Haley's dad, further revenge attempts from the Linear Guild -- I hardly think I'm going out on a limb in predicting that they're going to escape, etc), we have a while yet to go. :smallsmile:

Caractacus
2007-02-02, 04:25 PM
Firstly, I believe Rich said something like 'at least five years of Oots'. He has also made it clear that he easily ends up making certain sections longer or adding bits that push back the 'timetable', such as it is. I think we can confidently expect a total of six years of Oots, and we are nowhere near that yet.

Can you possible imagine that he would remove one of the main characters about 40% of the way through? I really can't. But then, he DOES like to surprise...

Next, I think it's pretty clear that Xykon won't be defeated permanently now either, and that he (Xykon) is exactly what the *reason that Durkon is in human lands for* (Done like this to protect those who have not yet read 'On the Origin of PCs').

I think THAT *reason* is true, and so is the prophecy.

Finally, one of the great rules of prophecy-giving is that you should make the answer cryptic, and if at all possible, misleading. I think in a similar thread some time ago, it was discussed that a king in Asia Minor (Croesus, of Lydia) asked the Oracle at Delphi about what would happen if he attacked Cyrus (King of Persia). Upon being told that if he did so a great empire would be destroyed, he attacked, and his own (naturally) was the one that fell. oracles tell the truth, but the truth may be hidden, or the answer may not reveal most important issues...

So, Durkon may die and then be resurrected and later return to his homeland, or any number of things. or we have to travel there to get him resurrected.

But I'm pretty sure we won't be losing him permanently.

pendell
2007-02-02, 04:34 PM
...........going to die?

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm probably not the first to bring it up, but.......

The oracle said he would return home post-humously....... and the leter Mio was carrying said the Hig Priest of Thor allowed him to return home.......

Well, *all* the characters are going to die at some point, barring transformation to lichdom or similar cheat to achieve immortality.

So yeah, likelihood is that 99.99999% Durkon will die at some point.

Will he die *during the strip*? That hasn't been said.

All that we know is that he won't return to the dwarven homelands until he's ...dead ...

... wait! does post-humously mean DURKON's death?

... or might the oracle be referring to the HIGH PRIEST'S death?

We know the high priest is dead ...

... so maybe that's the fulfillment of Durkon's prophecy. He will return to the dwarven homelands after the high priest is dead. Which could be any strip now.

Plausible, but by no means certain, interpretation.

Bottom line: All we know is that the Giant will make it fit somehow, and when he does, we will all enjoy it immensely.

Respectfully,

Brian P.