PDA

View Full Version : Movies Think you can predict the 2014 Academy Awards?

bpgoll
2014-03-01, 09:28 PM
Think you know film? Well here’s a chance to prove it!

With the Oscars coming up on Sunday, March 2, we are inviting you to pit your wits against movie fans from across the country - by predicting the big winners on the night.

All you have to do is tell us which of the shortlisted nominees you think will scoop 10 of the key awards - including Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Actress.

No money or prizes are at stake - other than pride in proving yourself the biggest movie buff of all!
http://gambar.manualtech.info/B006RV04MK_300.jpg
http://watchfree.me/28/w.png

List your favorite below :)

Creed
2014-03-01, 09:43 PM
Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Best Picture- 12 Years A Slave
12 Years a Slave is Oscar Bait. It's an epic drama with historical precedence (the 1853 memoir on which it's based).

Best Actor- Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
I'd go out on a limb and say that this is McConaughey's rebirth as an actor. This is the same guy who was in Sahara and Tropic Thunder, and now he's playing a very serious, dramatic role. Doesn't hurt that he's backed by Jared Leto, my Supporting Actor for the year.

Best Actress- Sandra Bullock, Gravity
This is my dark horse pick this year. Gravity a movie that is very reliant on the visuals, but, when it comes down to it, the majority of the film is Bullock acting alone on the screen, occasionally accompanied by the extremely photogenic astronaut son of this secondary character from Stargate. (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_Kawalsky)

GoblinArchmage
2014-03-01, 10:27 PM
Best Original Screenplay: Will Smith, Gary Whitta, and M. Night Shyamalan-After Earth
Misters Smith, Whitta, and Shyamalan bring us a real masterpiece with After Earth. We have some real masterful dialogue here, and a twist that you won't believe. Definitely check this out if you haven't yet. It's probably Shyamalan's best work since The Happening.

Best Actor: Vin Diesel-Riddick
Really, what's there to say? This is just some classic Vin, right here. With his growly voice and sexy biceps, he's sure to snatch up this award from all of the competing lesser actors. I can tell you one thing, I may be afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Vin.

Best Picture: Movie 43
This is one of the best motion pictures I have ever seen, bar none. I mean, how often do we get to see Hugh Jackman with testicles dangling elegantly from his chin. This scene in particular is one of the most beautifully symbolic in all of cinema. The layers of meaning here are intense, going deeper than the wrinkles on the neck scrotum. Also, we get to see Hugh Jackman's balls...ON HIS CHIN! Seriously, this film makes the likes of Citizen Kane and Dr. Strangelove seem like a middle schooler's Youtube videos.

I haven't actually seen any of these movies.

Killer Angel
2014-03-02, 04:56 AM
GoblinArchmage killed the thread. :smalltongue:

But yeah, I agree on Matthew McConaughey

Aedilred
2014-03-02, 08:20 AM
Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave. As Creed says, it's Oscar-bait and the subject matter would effectively assure it of a win if it managed to be better than terrible. Which is something of a shame, because I think The Wolf of Wall Street is a superlative film, and Gravity also deserves enormous credit.

Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey. If he doesn't win this, he woz robbed.

Best Actress: A mediocre year, I think, from what I've seen, but I've missed some of the performances shortlisted. Based only on my viewing, Sandra Bullock should win.

Best Supporting Actor: I haven't seen Captain Phillips, but Jared Leto stands head and shoulders above the others on the list. He probably stands a good chance.

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence should take this, with the usual caveat that I haven't seen all the performances.

Gravity should get the Cinematography, Editing and Visual Effects awards. I don't know about costumes, but I'd give it to American Hustle on general principle. I'd like to see The Wolf of Wall Street get Best Adapted Screenplay, but that might well also go to 12 Years a Slave. Not sure about Original Screenplay. Other awards I'm either not bothered or haven't seen enough entries.

Jon_Dahl
2014-03-02, 09:29 AM
Best Picture: Gravity

Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf Of Wall Street)

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Best Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender (12 Years A Slave)

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)

Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years A Slave

Best Documentary: The Act of Killing

Creed
2014-03-02, 03:32 PM
Best Original Screenplay: Will Smith, Gary Whitta, and M. Night Shyamalan-After Earth
Misters Smith, Whitta, and Shyamalan bring us a real masterpiece with After Earth. We have some real masterful dialogue here, and a twist that you won't believe. Definitely check this out if you haven't yet. It's probably Shyamalan's best work since The Happening.

Best Actor: Vin Diesel-Riddick
Really, what's there to say? This is just some classic Vin, right here. With his growly voice and sexy biceps, he's sure to snatch up this award from all of the competing lesser actors. I can tell you one thing, I may be afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Vin.

Best Picture: Movie 43
This is one of the best motion pictures I have ever seen, bar none. I mean, how often do we get to see Hugh Jackman with testicles dangling elegantly from his chin. This scene in particular is one of the most beautifully symbolic in all of cinema. The layers of meaning here are intense, going deeper than the wrinkles on the neck scrotum. Also, we get to see Hugh Jackman's balls...ON HIS CHIN! Seriously, this film makes the likes of Citizen Kane and Dr. Strangelove seem like a middle schooler's Youtube videos.

I haven't actually seen any of these movies.

Y'know what, all my answers were **** anyways. Can I go to GoblinArchmage's Academy Awards instead?:smalltongue:

Zrak
2014-03-02, 08:19 PM
I still don't get what people saw in Gravity. I wouldn't even say it was a good movie, really, let alone one of the best of the year. I really don't see much to recommend it.

Also, I think it's a shame that no movie can be made about a subject like slavery without insinuations that it wouldn't win critical acclaim on its own merits. I think 12 Years a Slave has a lot more than political correctness going for it. Regardless, it probably will win best picture.

I would call for an American Hustle actress sweep mirrored by a Dallas Buyers' Club actor sweep. Jonze should get something for Her, maybe screenplay, and Inside Llewyn Davis should take original song ("Please, Mr. Kennedy") and probably something else.

Haruki-kun
2014-03-02, 09:09 PM
Best animated film: Frozen.

.......I've seen nothing outside that category. .-.

EDIT: WOO! I CALLED IT!

Mauve Shirt
2014-03-02, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Bradley Cooper is my mortal enemy, but I have no recollection why. :smallconfused:

afroakuma
2014-03-02, 09:39 PM
Best Picture will be a bit of hyperbole. I've seen enough of them to know that I'll be forgetting about them by next Oscar season, the whole lot of them. I'll fling it to 12 Years A Slave.

Best Actor won't be. Whatever they're being given to work with, a lot of these gents have been knocking it out of the park. I don't know that it's McConaughey's night, but he wouldn't be my last place pick. The Academy's got a bad habit of "paying back" actors for "should've won"s, though, so look for DiCaprio to be gunning for this one. Bale's out of contention; Ejiofor's earning his stripes; Dern might be outgunned with a performance that could just as easily have been submitted to the Supporting category.

Best Actress has already been decided years ago, but until they actually go and change the award's name to Best Meryl Streep, it's still permitted for others to win it on occasion. Amy Adams saw some favorable ratings in this category, but I think it belongs to Cate Blanchett this year.

Best Director may as well go to Cuaron for making that film marketable.

Best Supporting Actor was a given.

Best Supporting Actress should go to Lupita Nyong'o; Jennifer Lawrence doesn't want it, didn't have enough of a role to really grab it in comparison, and has assiduously avoided letting the Academy think they should give it to her.

Zrak
2014-03-02, 10:42 PM
Oh, what? "Please, Mr. Kennedy" isn't even a best original song nominee?

The whole of these proceedings is a sad, dismal sham.

afroakuma
2014-03-02, 10:53 PM
The whole of these proceedings is a sad, dismal sham.

Oh I don't know, Frozen was excellent. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2014-03-02, 11:36 PM
Anyone who thinks Let It Go isn't a deserving song is bad and should feel bad. :smalltongue:

Zrak
2014-03-02, 11:40 PM
It's a fine song, if you can even count something without novelty backing vocals as music.

Mauve Shirt
2014-03-02, 11:42 PM
It was a Broadway song masquerading as a Disney song. And I love any alto that can hit a high G.
(I don't know what you mean by "novelty backing vocals", but I'm imagining Spike Jones :smalltongue:)

Mauve Shirt
2014-03-02, 11:53 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO Poor Leo!!!

Zrak
2014-03-02, 11:56 PM
I am defending the objective aesthetic superiority of this tragically snubbed masterpiece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA&feature=kp).

Creed
2014-03-03, 12:13 AM
Alright, I'll give this a shot.

Best Picture- 12 Years A Slave
12 Years a Slave is Oscar Bait. It's an epic drama with historical precedence (the 1853 memoir on which it's based).

Best Actor- Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
I'd go out on a limb and say that this is McConaughey's rebirth as an actor. This is the same guy who was in Sahara and Tropic Thunder, and now he's playing a very serious, dramatic role. Doesn't hurt that he's backed by Jared Leto, my Supporting Actor for the year.

Best Actress- Sandra Bullock, Gravity
This is my dark horse pick this year. Gravity a movie that is very reliant on the visuals, but, when it comes down to it, the majority of the film is Bullock acting alone on the screen, occasionally accompanied by the extremely photogenic astronaut son of this secondary character from Stargate. (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_Kawalsky)

So, between my Big Three and my sneak pick-up for Jared Leto as a Supporting Actor, that's 3 out of 4. I can live with that.

Zorg
2014-03-03, 12:20 AM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/dc3c0ae5d7cb7374af6ea55349cadaea/tumblr_n1u3mnB3mk1qcddvlo1_1280.jpg

Bit gross that Leto and McConaughey won for playing out the struggles of trans and gay people yet couldn't be bothered to acknowledge either group in their speeches.

Zrak
2014-03-03, 01:10 AM
Eh, I think that's looking for a slight where one doesn't exist; most actors don't thank the identarian categories to which their characters belong.

Zorg
2014-03-03, 01:23 AM
Given there are actually trans actresses who could've been given the role, and how he's given praise and award for his bravery playing a trans woman (about which he made questionable jokes during his GG speech) yet nobody acknowledges that his "bravery" is a shadow of real people's struggles, no, it does exist.

Zrak
2014-03-03, 01:53 AM
If your complaint is that a trans actress could have been given the role, then the slight is with the casting of the film, not his speech. If your complaint is about remarks he made in another speech, the slight is in what was said in that speech, not what was unsaid in this one. He's been given praise and awards for his acting, not his bravery; you may have noticed the award was entitled "Best Supporting Actor," not "Bravest Endurance of Hardship and Oppression." If your complaint is that our society gives awards for acting but not for experiencing hardship, the slight is somewhere way deep in culture, not in one guy's speech.

If your complaint is that he somehow slighted the trans community by not thanking them by name in his speech, I would reiterate that most actors do not thank the identarian categories to which their characters belong. Honestly, any acknowledgement Leto or McConaughey gave would have met with basically the same vitriol, for being too cursory a mention or for the thanks itself somehow being a slight. For instance, Leto dedicating his work in the film and his award to AIDS victims and to "those of you out there who have ever felt injustice because of who you are or who you love," but, apparently, this is inadequate to be considered proper acknowledgment.

EDIT: Fixed Leto's quote.

Zorg
2014-03-03, 02:22 AM
My response was aimed at your assertion that there was no slight. The slight is a culmination of several factors, which I listed.

If your complaint is that he somehow slighted the trans community by not thanking them by name in his speech, I would reiterate that most actors do not thank the identarian categories to which their characters belong.

So? Doesn't make this instance less irritating because other people do it. It sucks having someone take your identity, win awards for it, and seeing them ignore the real life experience they're portraying given society already ignores it. Here's an article on why it's a problem (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/jared-leto-in-dallas-buyers-club-why-cant-we-cast-trans-people-in-trans-roles-9099704.html), and if you think "we'll that's not his fault" well it isn't, but he's the figurehead and is the one being lauded for it, and the one who didn't say "I'm not trans, I shouldn't take this role (http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/01/news/la-ol-dallas-buyers-club-jared-leto-transgender-actors-20131101)". He did make a bunch of ignorant comments about it and frankly his performance as a trans woman wasn't that good.

Zrak
2014-03-03, 03:36 AM
It sort of undermines the contention that nobody acknowledges something by linking articles that agree with you. Then again, your point would lose much of its righteous vigor if you had said "nobody but several major magazines and lots of fairly popular websites acknowledges," instead, so I suppose I can see why you felt it advantageous to select the phrasing you did.

Now, as for Leto accepting the role, I don't really see why he shouldn't. I find the notion that one must have lived an experience, oneself, to play the role of someone who has antithetical to the very nature of acting. These are, essentially, people who get paid very large amounts of money to pretend to be people that they are not. Can no gay actor play a straight character? Must all who play addicts have been addicted? To the same substance as their character, or will something merely in the same broad group suffice? Unless transwomen weren't allowed to audition, I do not see the reason for objection. I think there should be more visible trans figures in media, as well, but I don't think that means an actor should feel obliged to turn down a role because of his or her own identity.

Finally, I take issue with Lees's criticizing the fact that Rayon does not appear to object to masculine pronouns; the implication is that, as a transwoman, Rayon should or even must do so. I find the criticism and its implications indicative of the troubling "Let her live in freedom if she lives like me" attitude to which I am, perhaps, particularly sensitive, having known people rejected and disowned by the "trans community" because of their chosen pronoun or some other marker which makes them "inadequately" trans. Though Leto's character is a fictional character, I see the same sort of criticisms leveled at real people, like Antony Hegarty, who identify as transwomen but use male pronouns or otherwise aren't "real" trans people in the eyes of the very "activists" who are nominally defending their rights. Personally, I would see less cause for offense in the sum of a thousand oblique but extant thanks than I see in a single implication that a transperson who chooses the wrong pronoun doesn't count.

Zorg
2014-03-03, 04:05 AM
Well my initial point was "this bothered me a bit" then you said I was imagining feeling slighted so we're getting away from it now anyway.

Killer Angel
2014-03-03, 07:05 AM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/dc3c0ae5d7cb7374af6ea55349cadaea/tumblr_n1u3mnB3mk1qcddvlo1_1280.jpg

Eventually, he'll have an Academy Honorary Award. :smallwink: