PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Divine Mind

Mongobear
2014-03-01, 11:32 PM
So, in an upcoming adventure/campaign, we are allowed to choose from the following resources: Core Rulebooks, Exp Psionics, and Complete Warrior/Adventurer/Divine/Arcane/Psionics.

I have elected to play as a Divine Mind, from Complete Psionics, however, with one major change, the DM is allowing the class to have a full BAB as opposed to the moderate that is normal on the basis that the class feels more like a Paladin, and should be a true Martial class.

He is not allowing any ACFs so Ectopic Ally is out, and I intend to play the character as a pseudo Paladin/Knight-in-Shining-Armor and take up the offtank/buffer role for the party.

My question is this: Am I gimping myself right off the start? I am aware of the tier thing, and know the general opinion of a Divine Mind is that theyre bad. Is the BAB change anywhere near enough of a fix to make them functional?

My plan as of right now before even rolling the character up is to go DM 4 for Divine Grace, then maybe multiclass out to something else. My initial thought was the War Mind PrC and he said he would include some way to incorporate the fluff requirement by the level I would meet the minimum requirement, however I am apprehensive of keeping track of double Power progression, as well as losing out of my Aura/Mantle growths.

Is the loss of class abilities just a symptom of the complete books classes in general? I usually always have this same feeling when making any class from any complete book. So it might not just be me.

I usually play classes between High Tier 4/Low Tier 3, so I am used to being slightly underpowered compared to the rest of my group, however, with moderate optimization will this work as a concept? Or am I better of just going with a real Martial class?

Also, any tips on general build/feats/race/etc would be welcome as long as theyre not blatantly OP. (I dont want to be marching around at level 2 with a 30 STR and Powerful Build one shotting BBEGs)

Psyren
2014-03-02, 02:50 AM
Switching to War Mind is a very good idea here - it not only broadens your list considerably (you get all the Psywar powers to choose from, instead of being chained to your mantles), it even gives you more base PP than staying straight divine mind. War Mind also has (imo) better class features than the DM's slowly-expanding aura.

Since you're not staying in DM for very long, be sure to pick a mantle whose abilities are not tied to your class level; Conflict, Deception, Corruption and Time are good choices.

As for feats/items/powers/etc., the Psywar handbook should have you covered for the most part.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-02, 02:56 AM
Try to replace Wild Talent with Hidden Talent (XPH p67), it does the same thing plus you get to learn an extra 1st level power. The most optimal choice would be Psionic Minor Creation.

See if you can get Sanctified Mind from Lords of Madness allowed. With that you could go Divine Mind 4/ Sanctified Mind 1/ Warmind 10/ Sanctified Mind 5.