PDA

View Full Version : Guessing A (possibly) new Snarl conspiracy theory

Lombard
2014-03-02, 12:06 AM
Hi Stickys!

I can't remember if this has been brought up before or not, but bear with me and riddle me this.

In the Snarl crayon story we're told that the Snarl is this like, purely chaotic being created from (in brief) deific narrative discrepancies.

So.. if that's legit... doesn't it seem a bit odd that it would have only taken out every single Eastern god, and not a single one of any of the other pantheons? Hrmm? That seems pretty like, 'controlled' or even 'directed' to me.

If the Snarl is indeed made up of 'threads of reality', and the gods have some power to manipulate those threads.. well to skip forward, what I'm getting at here is: what if the disappearance of the Eastern gods was actually the result of a plot by some of the members of the other pantheons?

Shoot, that would open up other possibilities given some of what we've observed in the strip. I mean, if that were true, and we're looking at some world through the rift (which doesn't seem a Snarl-like thing to create at all).. maybe the Eastern gods aren't even dead! Maybe they are imprisoned in that alternate reality! Heck.. one could take it even farther and allow for the possibility that they even faked their own deaths so they could have their own world to run how they wanted, and the remaining pantheons are the ones who got duped by the ingenious plot of wise Zeus.

Anyways to summarize the main elements of speculation from this post:

A) Initial "Snarl event" the result of some deific machination for or on behalf of the Eastern gods; and
B) Eastern gods possibly in the alternate reality visible through the rifts.

[Why this would result in the rifts appearing/widening.. I dunno. ;) ]

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-02, 12:15 AM
Why did the Snarl take out the Eastern gods first? Probably because they were the closest to where it was born, and the other pantheon fled before it killed them.

I have actually seen this theory proposed a few times before, and it runs into all the same problem all other theories on the Snarl have; lack of evidence. Shojo's story was clearly not the entirety of what was going on. However, without more knowledge, no theory can be proven to work.

Also, why would the other gods want to take out the Eastern Pantheon? What would they gain by doing so?

Wayson
2014-03-02, 12:42 AM
Since this forum seems to like completely oddball theories, here's mine. It's likely already been suggested by someone already.

We've been proceeding along the assumption that the Snarl is something trapped inside the world, trying to escape. What if that's exactly backwards? What if the Snarl is actually outside, trying to get in, and the Gates were placed to shore up the walls of our reality and prevent further incursions? The whole plot has hinged on the idea that someone can take control of a Gate, channel/blackmail with/whatever the Snarl's power, ???, and profit. I figured it would be a nice inversion if all parties had it completely wrong and there ends up being a catastrophic Cthulu-esque moment when the last Gate is destroyed.

Rizzer
2014-03-02, 06:03 AM
lol I like the consipracy theory that Zeus set it all up to get his own private world to rule ;p

Also, why would the other gods want to take out the Eastern Pantheon? What would they gain by doing so?

Easy. Look at the implied contempt Hel has for Nergal. Any of the death gods might want death and destruction, with them behind it all. And the other death gods just get in the way. Taking out the Eastern gods means they've taken out Hades. One down, two to go.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-02, 09:38 AM
Since this forum seems to like completely oddball theories, here's mine. It's likely already been suggested by someone already.

We've been proceeding along the assumption that the Snarl is something trapped inside the world, trying to escape. What if that's exactly backwards? What if the Snarl is actually outside, trying to get in, and the Gates were placed to shore up the walls of our reality and prevent further incursions? The whole plot has hinged on the idea that someone can take control of a Gate, channel/blackmail with/whatever the Snarl's power, ???, and profit. I figured it would be a nice inversion if all parties had it completely wrong and there ends up being a catastrophic Cthulu-esque moment when the last Gate is destroyed.

Redcloak's plan is somewhat different than what you've described. What you've said is probably similar to what Xykon thinks the plan to be. However, Redcloak that no one can actually take control of the Snarl. What he plans on doing is moving the Gate to one of the gods realms, kiling that god, and then threatening the remaining gods with it. However, Redcloak's plan still works even if the Snalr destroys the world, because he hopes that when the world is remade, the Dark One will get a bigger say in its creation.

Also what's the difference between the Snarl is inside, trying to get out, and outside, trying to get in, when both are pretty much the same thing, just from different directions?

Peelee
2014-03-02, 10:10 AM
I liked the idea if the Eastern Gods making their own works under the guise of the snarl, as that seemed the likeliest theory for some time. Then 945 happened. I'm back to the plain and simple "I don't know but get the hell away from it" theory.

King of Nowhere
2014-03-02, 10:37 AM
S
We've been proceeding along the assumption that the Snarl is something trapped inside the world, trying to escape. What if that's exactly backwards? What if the Snarl is actually outside, trying to get in, and the Gates were placed to shore up the walls of our reality and prevent further incursions?

the concept of "inside" and "outside" are purely mathematical definitions, especially in such a case. whether we choose to see us outside and the snarl inside or viceversa, it actually changes nothing

I have actually seen this theory proposed a few times before, and it runs into all the same problem all other theories on the Snarl have; lack of evidence.
There is no evidence cause THEY destroyed it. Don't let yourself be fooled, everyone can be one of them. But the milkman knows everything :)

Jay R
2014-03-02, 11:31 AM
So.. if that's legit... doesn't it seem a bit odd that it would have only taken out every single Eastern god, and not a single one of any of the other pantheons? Hrmm? That seems pretty like, 'controlled' or even 'directed' to me.

I'm not arguing against your theory, but this piece of evidence seems weak. The Snarl killed a bunch of folks who hang out together in a single melee. That is no more "directed" than the fact that a mindless typhoon or hurricane might take out everybody from one village while leaving other villages alone.

Lombard
2014-03-02, 12:01 PM
I'm not arguing against your theory, but this piece of evidence seems weak. The Snarl killed a bunch of folks who hang out together in a single melee. That is no more "directed" than the fact that a mindless typhoon or hurricane might take out everybody from one village while leaving other villages alone.

Hmm but in all the portrayals of that panthron that I have seen, they don't all hang out together... Hades is almost always off in his own underworld realm and Poseidon is mostly in his undersea castle. The others I will grant you are mostly at Mt. Olympus.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-02, 12:04 PM
Hmm but in all the portrayals of that panthron that I have seen, they don't all hang out together... Hades is almost always off in his own underworld realm and Poseidon is mostly in his undersea castle. The others I will grant you are mostly at Mt. Olympus.

It looks like they all died right next to each other here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html). Also, the gods in this world are not the same gods as in other portrayals of them. They can vary from how they are usually shown.

Jay R
2014-03-02, 01:09 PM

That primarily means you haven't seen lots of their portrayals. Here's one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Raffaello%2C_concilio_degli_dei_02.jpg

Here's another:
http://tobiasmastgrave.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/greeks.jpg

[Hades, while a Greek God, is not one of the twelve Olympians.]

Lombard
2014-03-02, 07:47 PM
[Hades, while a Greek God, is not one of the twelve Olympians.]

That kinda strengthens my point don't you think? Since Hades got Snarled anyways along with all the other Eastern gods, but no deity from any other pantheon did? If the weakness in thinking something is off about that supposed coincidence is that the event may have been just random and the Eastern gods happened to be all hanging around where the Snarl supposedly popped up... by noting the typical absence of Hades you're undermining the legitimacy of the supposed flaw that you yourself brought up lol. :vaarsuvius:

Vinyadan
2014-03-02, 07:58 PM
Hi Stickys!

I can't remember if this has been brought up before or not, but bear with me and riddle me this.

In the Snarl crayon story we're told that the Snarl is this like, purely chaotic being created from (in brief) deific narrative discrepancies.

If the Snarl is indeed made up of 'threads of reality', and the gods have some power to manipulate those threads.. well to skip forward, what I'm getting at here is: what if the disappearance of the Eastern gods was actually the result of a plot by some of the members of the other pantheons?

Shoot, that would open up other possibilities given some of what we've observed in the strip. I mean, if that were true, and we're looking at some world through the rift (which doesn't seem a Snarl-like thing to create at all).. maybe the Eastern gods aren't even dead! Maybe they are imprisoned in that alternate reality! Heck.. one could take it even farther and allow for the possibility that they even faked their own deaths so they could have their own world to run how they wanted, and the remaining pantheons are the ones who got duped by the ingenious plot of wise Zeus.

Anyways to summarize the main elements of speculation from this post:

A) Initial "Snarl event" the result of some deific machination for or on behalf of the Eastern gods; and
B) Eastern gods possibly in the alternate reality visible through the rifts.

[Why this would result in the rifts appearing/widening.. I dunno. ;) ]

It must have been Mouse. That little bastard
could well be the puppeteer behind the Plan!