PDA

View Full Version : Is there any hope for more 3.5 reprints?

Rejusu
2014-03-02, 01:20 PM
It seemed that when WotC announced reprints of the 3.5 core books back in 2012 there was a glimmer of hope that other books might see the same treatment. Especially since Wizards posted a survey on what fans would like to see reprinted. And though we got the Spell Compendium and the Magic Item Compendium last year there hasn't been any word on whether we'll get much beyond that. After being sniped on eBay for a very reasonably priced and good condition Tome of Battle I'm starting to lose hope in ever getting my hands on it unless WotC decides to reprint it.

Devronq
2014-03-02, 01:28 PM
It seemed that when WotC announced reprints of the 3.5 core books back in 2012 there was a glimmer of hope that other books might see the same treatment. Especially since Wizards posted a survey on what fans would like to see reprinted. And though we got the Spell Compendium and the Magic Item Compendium last year there hasn't been any word on whether we'll get much beyond that. After being sniped on eBay for a very reasonably priced and good condition Tome of Battle I'm starting to lose hope in ever getting my hands on it unless WotC decides to reprint it.

Just a quick story I wanted to say semi related... I was in Seattle last year at an anime convention and some you was selling his dnd 3.5 books he had damn near all of them (yes he had spc and mic) and was selling them $10-20 a peice. I have my own copy but I still regret not buying them all I could have easily resold for a good profit :p

ericgrau
2014-03-02, 01:30 PM
They were actually asking people what they want reprinted. Find the site and tell them yourself if it's not too late. If they get enough feedback and it's clear there's enough demand I'm sure they will. But if not enough people want a book for it to be worth it, then I doubt they will print it and you're out of luck.

HaikenEdge
2014-03-02, 01:32 PM
You people make me wish I had kept my 3.5 books; the last time I moved, I donated my books (Completes plus LM, LoM, SS, MHB, ToB and ToM) to the local library where I had been working, thinking they'd put them into the collection, having even made myself clear that the books were completely out of print.

Instead, they sold the books for a dollar a piece, which annoyed the heck out me.

ericgrau
2014-03-02, 01:57 PM
And then someone bought them and resold them on ebay.

They may be out of print but the library isn't exactly the place to preserve them. There are millions of people doing that already. I don't think games are the library's thing.

Curmudgeon
2014-03-02, 02:18 PM
I don't think Tome of Battle is ever going to be reprinted. The rationale for the reprintings has been that the Premium books included integrated errata. That would mean WotC would have to fess up that they trashed their only copy of the errata file for that book by some bone-headed editing error.

HunterOfJello
2014-03-02, 02:35 PM
I have a feeling that we've seen all they're going to reprint for the moment.

I think they just wanted to bring some interest back into the game by releasing shiny old school d&d books on those Pathfinder shelves while trying to get people used to the idea of paying $50 for a nice modern d&d book. Rereleasing the MiC and SC were the best possible ways of doing that (other than creating a SC 2, which I would buy at a second's notice).

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-02, 02:43 PM
They may be out of print but the library isn't exactly the place to preserve them. There are millions of people doing that already. I don't think games are the library's thing.

They rent out movies, so it seems in line to me. I have heard some branches even rent out videogames.

Agincourt
2014-03-02, 02:58 PM
I don't think Tome of Battle is ever going to be reprinted. The rationale for the reprintings has been that the Premium books included integrated errata. That would mean WotC would have to fess up that they trashed their only copy of the errata file for that book by some bone-headed editing error.

Unfortunately, the "Premium" Magic Item Compendium contains the exact same errors as the original printing. (Hiring a copy editor is so expensive!) The advertisements for the Premium MIC said they would contain errata, but they failed to deliver on their promises. When people complained, they just silently deleted any references to errata in the description. They did not fess up to anything.

ericgrau
2014-03-02, 03:16 PM
They rent out movies, so it seems in line to me. I have heard some branches even rent out videogames.

Ouch, not mine. I wouldn't be surprised if they had old movies somewhere, it's a big place. But even if they had some it isn't their main thing and I don't think it or most libraries would carry some barely mainstream game books.

Karnith
2014-03-02, 03:19 PM
But even if they had some it isn't their main thing and I don't think it or most libraries would carry some barely mainstream game books.
Somewhat-topical anecdote: Back when they were still being published, a library near where I lived lent out issues of Dragon Magazine.

Psyren
2014-03-02, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately, the "Premium" Magic Item Compendium contains the exact same errors as the original printing. (Hiring a copy editor is so expensive!) The advertisements for the Premium MIC said they would contain errata, but they failed to deliver on their promises. When people complained, they just silently deleted any references to errata in the description. They did not fess up to anything.

Ahh, I remember that day. Glorious!

Palanan
2014-03-02, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Agincourt
When people complained, they just silently deleted any references to errata in the description.

Yup, and altered the text on the Amazon listing, too. No acknowledgement, no apology.

Some things can be excused by boneheadedness, but this is far too low.

Originally Posted by ericgrau
They may be out of print but the library isn't exactly the place to preserve them.... I don't think games are the library's thing.

...But even if they had some it isn't their main thing and I don't think it or most libraries would carry some barely mainstream game books.

My library system is actually pretty good that way. They have several extremely battered copies of the 3.5 Core Books, plus several of the Completes and a couple Monster Manuals. These were probably bought around 2003-2005 when there was a lot of demand; they're pretty good about responding to requests.

They also have a fair number of 4E books (boo, hiss) and the Pathfinder CRB (whoo hoo!!), as well as the Exalted rulebook and a few others. I sometimes have their copy of Pathfinder checked out for long periods of time.

:smalltongue:

Rejusu
2014-03-02, 09:12 PM

So what you're saying is that they Iron Heart Surge'd the errata? :smalltongue:

And wow, regarding the MIC that must have sucked for anyone who already owned the book that bought it for a copy that included the errata. I didn't bother thankfully as MIC and SPC are among the few books I own and I didn't feel like shelling out for a new copy.

I'm pretty sure the rationale for the reprints was just to make a quick buck, which is why reprinting ToB probably makes the most sense. Considering the grey market prices for the book it'd probably make them a tidy profit.

Dorian Gray
2014-03-02, 09:24 PM
I doubt there'll be reprints. Ever since Paizo 1-uped WotC, D&D 3.5 has basically been written off by Hasbro. There really is no way to get 3.5 books outside of finding used ones now. I mean, I could mention pirating it, especially since every 3.5 book is somewhere on 4shared, but pirating is illegal, so I won't talk about it.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-02, 09:25 PM
I've also seen some shiny reprints of some 2e books. Sounds like the Nostalgia Express just left the station.:smallamused:

And good riddance. Though it warmed my heart to see the old 2e Monster Manual.

nyjastul69
2014-03-02, 09:33 PM
It seemed to me that the reprints were nothing more than a way to gauge interest in prior editions for use in moving forward with D&D Next.

Invader
2014-03-02, 09:40 PM
I sprung for copies of reprints. To be honest after playing for a decade one way you don't really pay attention to the errata anyway.

They're so much shinier though! :smallamused:

Petrocorus
2014-03-02, 10:01 PM
You people make me wish I had kept my 3.5 books; the last time I moved, I donated my books (Completes plus LM, LoM, SS, MHB, ToB and ToM) to the local library where I had been working, thinking they'd put them into the collection, having even made myself clear that the books were completely out of print.

Instead, they sold the books for a dollar a piece, which annoyed the heck out me.

I hope you killed someone for that!

Wait... that means they completely lost their erratas? Seriously?
Maybe i could find the errata in the French edition, they sometimes integrate those. If only i could put find this book somewhere.

On a related note, is there a list of erratas on the WotC website, i cannot perform to find one?

Invader
2014-03-02, 10:05 PM
I hope you killed someone for that!

Wait... that means they completely lost their erratas? Seriously?
Maybe i could find the errata in the French edition, they sometimes integrate those. If only i could put find this book somewhere.

On a related note, is there a list of erratas on the WotC website, i cannot perform to find one?

Here you go :smallwink:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

Palanan
2014-03-02, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Rejusu
I'm pretty sure the rationale for the reprints was just to make a quick buck, which is why reprinting ToB probably makes the most sense. Considering the grey market prices for the book it'd probably make them a tidy profit.

They'd be idiots not to, for exactly this reason.

And I wonder if the shiny reprints were also a way to keep WotC in everyone's mind, and on the shelves, while they gear up for the release of 5E. Gauging interest, yes, and certainly to squeeze a little more money out of us--but also to keep their products visible during the interregnum between editions.

Originally Posted by Rejusu
Especially since Wizards posted a survey on what fans would like to see reprinted.

I'd pay real money to see the results of that survey. At the time I was hopeful for an omnibus reprint of some of the Completes or the Races, but ToB is probably the single most-requested title.

Seems ridiculous for them not to reissue it, given the interest out there, but the world of corporate priorities is a twisty, nonintuitive place.

Originally Posted by Invader
I sprung for copies of reprints.... They're so much shinier though!

I too felt the lure of the shiny, and was all set to buy a reprint of the Spell Compendium...but at the end, even with birthday money, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Ended up buying a Pathfinder supplement instead.

ericgrau
2014-03-02, 10:13 PM
I'd pay real money to see the results of that survey. At the time I was hopeful for an omnibus reprint of some of the Completes or the Races, but ToB is probably the single most-requested title.
I think it may have been... right behind MiC and SpC. I forget why I'm thinking that though, maybe there are results somewhere or maybe I just heard it a lot.

Invader
2014-03-02, 10:13 PM
They'd be idiots not to, for exactly this reason.

And I wonder if the shiny reprints were also a way to keep WotC in everyone's mind, and on the shelves, while they gear up for the release of 5E. Gauging interest, yes, and certainly to squeeze a little more money out of us--but also to keep their products visible during the interregnum between editions.

Seems ridiculous for them not to reissue it, given the interest out there, but the world of corporate priorities is a twisty, nonintuitive place.

I too felt the lure of the shiny, and was all set to buy a reprint of the Spell Compendium...but at the end, even with birthday money, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Ended up buying a Pathfinder supplement instead.

I got the SpC but I didn't have the original of that one so it wasn't to bad lol. I don't have my file tabs in my new books though so it feels like it takes forever to find anything since I can't immediately turn to the correct chapter.

Dorian Gray
2014-03-02, 10:17 PM

And this is why I think Hasbro won't reprint 3.5 books. I mean, if they do, I'll totally drop a couple hundred bucks, but I think it's been written off as dead because of the OGL. It's too bad that OGL ended up being a bad thing- I really like d20srd- but given that pathfinder has sold more than 3.5, I think that WotC is just going to focus on later editions. Sigh.

ericgrau
2014-03-02, 10:23 PM
I'd rather play 3.5 than PF. The real issue is that PF now splits the market in two so there's half as much to be made. Still something though.

And I thought 3.5 sold way more than PF, but PF more than 4e. Or did PF catch up?

Invader
2014-03-02, 10:27 PM
And I thought 3.5 sold way more than PF, but PF more than 4e. Or did PF catch up?

I thought the same thing. Just by virtue of sites dedicated to 3.5 compared to PF I have a hard time believing PF has sold more.

Dorian Gray
2014-03-02, 10:33 PM
I thought the same thing. Just by virtue of sites dedicated to 3.5 compared to PF I have a hard time believing PF has sold more.

I meant 4th edition. Sorry for any confusion.
For clarification, I really, really, really want for there to be some 3.5 reprints, but I have doubts about whether Hasbro will actually put them out.

Palanan
2014-03-02, 10:53 PM
Has anyone tried any sort of write-in campaign?

I know it sounds naive, but sometimes companies do listen when people sound off. And with ToB in particular, people are paying twice the original cover price on used copies, so there's some dedicated fan dollars that are being spent.

HaikenEdge
2014-03-02, 11:46 PM

The library where I worked previously actually loan out DVDs, VHSs, audiobooks, and video games.

Not to mention, a different branch in the library system actually had the core books and two of the Completes (Divine and Warrior) on their shelves, which was why I thought it'd be a good idea to donate the books to the collection, seeing as they already had some of the books for the game anyways.

ericgrau
2014-03-03, 12:06 AM
Ah lack of communication and differing opinions between branches I suppose. My school library had Lone Wolf game books which me and my classmates thought was pretty awesome, but I had a harder time finding it after that.

D&D is big but not huge so Library opinions may vary.

Hurnn
2014-03-03, 02:45 AM
you can find PDFs like crazy online, Amazon or Ebay anything (some may be over priced) check out powells books on line, call around to your local game stores I know of 2 in my area with quite a few 3.5 books left, check craigslist or put up an ad, they are not hard to get ahold of.

cakellene
2014-03-03, 02:54 AM
My local half price books has quite a few for around $15-20 per. If not one near you check their website.

Sith_Happens
2014-03-03, 08:36 AM
Are you specifically asking about a physical reprint? Because most or all of 3.5 has been available on DriveThruRPG for a while now.

Invader
2014-03-03, 09:22 AM
Just the opposite here. We have 4 half priced books in the area and it's next to impossible to find any 3.X books at them because they immediately dissappear off the shelves. That or the employees get them and sell them privately for a profit.

Firechanter
2014-03-03, 10:05 AM

Argh. Man that really riles me, just like anytime a gift isn't appreciated. -.-

Equilibria
2014-03-03, 12:25 PM
Is it legal (GitP rules) to facilitate contact between a buyer and a seller??

Cause I know someone who is selling ALL his books (and i´m pretty sure he has the ToB)

Palanan
2014-03-03, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Invader
Just the opposite here. We have 4 half priced books in the area and it's next to impossible to find any 3.X books at them because they immediately dissappear off the shelves. That or the employees get them and sell them privately for a profit.

Last year a gaming store in my area received someone's hefty private collection, and advertised it to their customers online. I think the entire collection was gone within the hour. And they were selling them pretty much at original MSRP.

:smallfrown:

Rejusu
2014-03-03, 01:17 PM
you can find PDFs like crazy online, Amazon or Ebay anything (some may be over priced) check out powells books on line, call around to your local game stores I know of 2 in my area with quite a few 3.5 books left, check craigslist or put up an ad, they are not hard to get ahold of.

I'd like the actual book, but unlike digital versions they exist in a limited supply. I've checked my local stores and they cleared out their remaining 3.5 stock years ago. Unfortunately I happened to really get into 3.5 when I was a poor student and couldn't afford to buy all the books. Now I can afford it but I can't buy them. Either way I'm in the UK and availability has been pretty limited here. I could probably scrounge up some of the other books but ToB is like gold dust.

Are you specifically asking about a physical reprint? Because most or all of 3.5 has been available on DriveThruRPG for a while now.

Physical, as I said there's little problem obtaining digital copies.

Is it legal (GitP rules) to facilitate contact between a buyer and a seller??

Cause I know someone who is selling ALL his books (and i´m pretty sure he has the ToB)

No idea, but I'm guessing they're US based so unless they're willing to ship internationally...

I'm also only interested in good condition copies so it depends what state his collection is in.

Equilibria
2014-03-03, 01:39 PM
No he is much closer, so not a problem.

I just called him, and according to him there is only some slight scuffing on the cover.

Of course he´s the seller so... :smallamused:

Bloodgruve
2014-03-03, 04:20 PM
I'm surprised with the current reprints TBH. Especially SC and MIC.. I'm holding out hope that we'll at least see the Completes reprinted.

But as someone said already it may have just been a gauge for 5th ed/Next.

Blood~

Curmudgeon
2014-03-03, 05:33 PM
I'm holding out hope that we'll at least see the Completes reprinted.
I find that very unlikely. Many of the spells in those books have had non-errata changes applied to them in the Spell Compendium updates. It would be a fair amount of hassle for WotC to decide what to do with every changed spell. Since they're trying to make a profit with very little work, new printings are just not going to happen.

Psyren
2014-03-03, 05:37 PM
Not to mention 5e is quite literally around the corner...

Palanan
2014-03-03, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Since they're trying to make a profit with very little work, new printings are just not going to happen.

Sad but true.

Although it would also suggest that ToB would be an easy score, since there's no problem deciding whether or not to use the errata.

:smallamused:

Originally Posted by Psyren
Not to mention 5e is quite literally around the corner...

Yeah. I really think the reprints were put out mainly to have something "new" to compete with Pathfinder on the shelves--essentially holding a spot until 5E could get there.

Petrocorus
2014-03-03, 05:44 PM
I find that very unlikely. Many of the spells in those books have had non-errata changes applied to them in the Spell Compendium updates. It would be a fair amount of hassle for WotC to decide what to do with every changed spell. Since they're trying to make a profit with very little work, new printings are just not going to happen.

Yep, but honestly, if they would reprint the 3.5, ToB included, they could maybe make more money with the reprint than they made with 4E.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-03, 05:47 PM
Yep, but honestly, if they would reprint the 3.5, ToB, included, they could maybe make more money with the reprint than the made with 4E.

A delicious irony, to say the least.

Palanan
2014-03-03, 05:57 PM
Yeah. In fact, they probably could've made more money--and incidentally made a lot of us that much happier--if they'd passed on 4E altogether, and instead given us some quality 3.5 upgrades of Dark Sun and Spelljammer, and maybe even gone out on a limb and developed another major setting.

As much as I loved Forgotten Realms when I first started 3.5, and as much nostalgia as I still have for it, by now that setting is feeling decidedly cramped and overwrought...and that's not even including the 4E section of the timeline. Sure wish they'd stretched themselves and tried something new.

squiggit
2014-03-03, 06:05 PM
WoTC really seems to not like going back to old content. Both 3.5 and 4 suffer from sort of being left to rot with a lot of questions unanswered and problems unsolved.

I imagine instead of actually reprinting any good 3.5 content and making money they'll release 5e books with the same name as 3.5 books hoping to catch a grognard's eye (that's the whole point of 5e after all).

Corrin Avatan
2014-03-03, 06:09 PM
I think WotC/Hasbro is (finally) more interested in supporting those products as downloadable PDFs. The Core 3.5 books, as well as the Spell/Magic Item compendiums sold well, but the rest of the books are likely going to be too niche for most.

It costs nearly nothing for them to put up a PDF for people to download legally, and the cost per sale goes down for each download.

And, let's be honest, the appeal of a book is dwindling. Yes, I understand the appeal of just reaching for the book, but anymore people are playing with tablets at the table (if not laptops), and searching the PDF is simply faster than my flipping through the book. And I can store 300 books and quickly reference them.

Given that a lot of newer players I've met (of both D&D and Pathfinder) have never actually even bought a book, but only use the PDFs, I don't think there is going to be much more printed books. In fact, if D&D Next doesn't have Same Day PDF downloads, I'd be surprised (and it would confirm that WotC still doesn't understand how to make money).

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-03, 06:14 PM
I think WotC/Hasbro is (finally) more interested in supporting those products as downloadable PDFs. The Core 3.5 books, as well as the Spell/Magic Item compendiums sold well, but the rest of the books are likely going to be too niche for most.

It costs nearly nothing for them to put up a PDF for people to download legally, and the cost per sale goes down for each download.

And, let's be honest, the appeal of a book is dwindling. Yes, I understand the appeal of just reaching for the book, but anymore people are playing with tablets at the table (if not laptops), and searching the PDF is simply faster than my flipping through the book. And I can store 300 books and quickly reference them.

Given that a lot of newer players I've met (of both D&D and Pathfinder) have never actually even bought a book, but only use the PDFs, I don't think there is going to be much more printed books. In fact, if D&D Next doesn't have Same Day PDF downloads, I'd be surprised (and it would confirm that WotC still doesn't understand how to make money).

*on standby for pushback*

Mando Knight
2014-03-03, 06:17 PM
I doubt there'll be reprints. Ever since Paizo 1-uped WotC, D&D 3.5 has basically been written off by Hasbro. There really is no way to get 3.5 books outside of finding used ones now. I mean, I could mention pirating it, especially since every 3.5 book is somewhere on 4shared, but pirating is illegal, so I won't talk about it.
Here's a legal way (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?cPath=9731). Maybe not all the books (BoED is available, but not BoVD, and no Tome of Battle, for the ones that I noticed at a glance), but there's a fairly large number.

Yep, but honestly, if they would reprint the 3.5, ToB included, they could maybe make more money with the reprint than they made with 4E.
I don't think so. Pathfinder, the costs of reprinting, existing market saturation (a large number of 3.5 players already have a large number of books) and the age of the system means that 3.5 now (not 3.5 5-8 years ago, but now) is basically as niche a market as 4e ever was, if not more so, particularly (as mentioned above) in hardcover rather than PDF.

Palanan
2014-03-03, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mando Knight
Here's a legal way. Maybe not all the books (BoED is available, but not BoVD, and no Tome of Battle, for the ones that I noticed at a glance), but there's a fairly large number.

It's a good point, especially given hardcover vs. PDF pricing. (Although if you're willing to be patient, you can get physical copies in decent shape for less than the PDF prices.)

Originally Posted by Mando Knight
...3.5 now (not 3.5 5-8 years ago, but now) is basically as niche a market as 4e ever was, if not more so.

Yup, and I think Bloodgruve has a point when he says the reprints were testing the water to see just how niche that market has become.

That said, I still think they could've kicked out at least three more regional setting books for the Forgotten Realms:

- Shou Lung, the great eastern empire, and the rest of Kara-Tur, untouched since 2E;

- Al-Quadim, the Realms' take on Arabian Nights, likewise;

- and the Moonshaes, the quintessentially Celtic islands.

Not to mention Maztica, which had plenty of opportunities for Mesoamerican style, and Osse, their quasi-Australian continent which was only hinted at in the FRCS.

Or, you know, stretched their brains a little and developed a new concept world. But then, that would violate the more-money/less-work principle.

:smallannoyed:

Petrocorus
2014-03-03, 06:32 PM
Here's a legal way (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?cPath=9731). Maybe not all the books (BoED is available, but not BoVD, and no Tome of Battle, for the ones that I noticed at a glance), but there's a fairly large number.

Actually, there is ToB (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/51650/Tome-of-Battle-The-Book-of-Nine-Swords-35?cPath=9731&filters=0_0_0_0_40030).

I don't think so. Pathfinder, the costs of reprinting, existing market saturation (a large number of 3.5 players already have a large number of books) and the age of the system means that 3.5 now (not 3.5 5-8 years ago, but now) is basically as niche a market as 4e ever was, if not more so, particularly (as mentioned above) in hardcover rather than PDF.

Nowaday, maybe.
I just hope 5E will be better and closer to 3.5 than just an improvement of 4E. Have we got any info or beta?

Palanan
2014-03-03, 06:42 PM
Well, per this related thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334609), a starter pack should be coming out in midsummer, with the 5E PHB coming out on August 19.

Rejusu
2014-03-03, 07:38 PM

True, it wouldn't be worthwhile to reprint all of 3.5 as many supplements wouldn't sell enough to be worthwhile. However certain ones (like ToB) would be profitable.

I just hope 5E will be better and closer to 3.5 than just an improvement of 4E. Have we got any info or beta?

I really hope so. PF is too much like 3.5 for me to invest in it and 4th isn't enough like it for me to enjoy it.

Psyren
2014-03-03, 07:42 PM
Actually, there is ToB (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/51650/Tome-of-Battle-The-Book-of-Nine-Swords-35?cPath=9731&filters=0_0_0_0_40030).

Is it searchable? (And ToM too.)

Mando Knight
2014-03-03, 07:45 PM
Huh. Couldn't find it when I flipped through... but it is there.

Nowaday, maybe.
Playtest material had been available for a long time, but they stopped offering the materials on Dec. 15. Currently, it leans more towards 3.5 than towards other editions in similarity, AFAIK, though attack bonuses and magic items are relatively limited.

Petrocorus
2014-03-03, 07:57 PM
Is it searchable? (And ToM too.)

Yes (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/50000/Tome-of-Magic-Pact-Shadow-and-Truename-Magic-35?cPath=9731&filters=0_0_0_0_40030), i found them using the search tool of the website.

Well, per this related thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334609), a starter pack should be coming out in midsummer, with the 5E PHB coming out on August 19.
I've been lurking in the two thread, i actually thought i was replying in that 5E thread.

Playtest material had been available for a long time, but they stopped offering the materials on Dec. 15. Currently, it leans more towards 3.5 than towards other editions in similarity, AFAIK, though attack bonuses and magic items are relatively limited.
I would really wish the 5E to be more like the 3.5 mechanically, but with classes, spells, feats and class feature revised to be more balance.

Psyren
2014-03-03, 10:44 PM
Yes (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/50000/Tome-of-Magic-Pact-Shadow-and-Truename-Magic-35?cPath=9731&filters=0_0_0_0_40030), i found them using the search tool of the website.

No, I meant, are the PDFs themselves searchable. That would definitely make them worth the money.

Petrocorus
2014-03-03, 11:47 PM
No, I meant, are the PDFs themselves searchable. That would definitely make them worth the money.

Oh, sorry, completely misunderstood. I don't know for that, but in worst case, many PDF readers have integrated OCR by now. If the PDF is of good quality, it should work fine.

Psyren
2014-03-04, 09:57 AM
Oh, sorry, completely misunderstood. I don't know for that, but in worst case, many PDF readers have integrated OCR by now. If the PDF is of good quality, it should work fine.

The operative word there is if - I think I'll hold off until someone can confirm searchability before I shell out for them.

Petrocorus
2014-03-04, 10:13 AM
The operative word there is if - I think I'll hold off until someone can confirm searchability before I shell out for them.

You're right obviously, to wait for confirmation. But i hope that, if they are selling them, at a price not that low for PDF editions of books which are officially obsolete, the quality is pretty good. Else, this is not much more than a scam.

Selein
2014-03-05, 03:19 PM
I actually think the reprints had more to do with preservation of copyright and preventing the books from entering Public Domain. Everything else was probably just a bonus.

Karnith
2014-03-05, 06:59 PM
I've bought a few 3.5 PDFs through DriveThruRPG, and they have all been searchable.