PDA

View Full Version : Attila the Hun Character 3.5

Teapot Salty
2014-03-02, 03:28 PM
Hey guys, recently an idea came to me about making a, you guessed it, Attila the Hun character. Honestly most of it's up in the air, the only things that are guaranteed will be ride and mounted archery and what not. Otherwise it's totally open. And as always, go nuts.

shylocke
2014-03-02, 04:07 PM
Fighter/scout. Longsword and short bow focus. Ride skill focus.
Scale mail
Light warhorse

Teapot Salty
2014-03-02, 04:15 PM
Fighter/scout. Longsword and short bow focus. Ride skill focus.
Scale mail
Light warhorse

Isn't scout kindoff silly because you don't get skirmish if your mounted?

shylocke
2014-03-02, 04:29 PM
Mongolian racial trait?

Afgncaap5
2014-03-02, 04:42 PM
I'd probably seek some variation of Leadership that lets you have lots of elephants in addition to your helpers.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-02, 04:52 PM
I'd probably seek some variation of Leadership that lets you have lots of elephants in addition to your helpers.
Pretty sure Hannibal was the one famous for the elephants, or am I missing something?

shylocke
2014-03-02, 05:18 PM
It was Hannibal. Mongolians had horses. Lots and lots of horses.

Blackhawk748
2014-03-02, 05:20 PM

No you get Skirmish while mounted, WoTC just errated that you couldnt get a Full Attack of Skirmish while mounted.
My group just pretends we never heard of that particular ruling :smallwink:

TroubleBrewing
2014-03-02, 05:21 PM

Why wouldn't you get Skirmish while mounted? :smallconfused:

Also, Leadership shenanigans.

Teapot Salty
2014-03-02, 05:22 PM
It was Hannibal. Mongolians had horses. Lots and lots of horses.

*Huddles in corner* so many horses....... so many horses..... and arrows..... Oh GOD the arrows....... I thought they were retreating but I just ended up in a crossfire........*shivers*

Afgncaap5
2014-03-02, 05:22 PM
Pretty sure Hannibal was the one famous for the elephants, or am I missing something?

Ack, you're absolutely right. I had a brain malfunction, my apologies.

Teapot Salty
2014-03-02, 05:24 PM
Why wouldn't you get skirmish while mounted? :smallconfused:
Everybody said that in a scout thread I started, meh, scout makes sense so I'll probably do it.

TroubleBrewing
2014-03-02, 05:26 PM
I'm not seeing anything in the Skirmish description that would prevent you from using it while mounted. Even if there is something I'm missing, I don't think it would be unreasonable to allow. After all, it only applies to ranged attacks within 30ft, and you're playing a muggle.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-02, 05:27 PM
Why wouldn't you get skirmish while mounted? :smallconfused:

Also, Leadership shenanigans.
Despite the name, Skirmish the game ability has nothing to skirmishing, the military tactic. The latter is emulated well enough with mounted archery and ride-by attack.

TroubleBrewing
2014-03-02, 05:30 PM
Despite the name, Skirmish the game ability has nothing to skirmishing, the military tactic. The latter is emulated well enough with mounted archery and ride-by attack.

Yeah, that's a capitalization fail on my part. I was talking about the game ability.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-02, 05:33 PM
Yeah, that's a capitalization fail on my part. I was talking about the game ability.

I knew that. My point is it really isn't vital to emulating in the game a horde of hale Huns hunting hoards and whores on horseback.

Blackhawk748
2014-03-02, 05:35 PM
While it may not be vital, it would make him a do a lot more damage, so its at least nice

Ravens_cry
2014-03-02, 05:48 PM
While it may not be vital, it would make him a do a lot more damage, so its at least nice
It does, but so does mounted combat, even at the low levels most followers will be, and ride by attack lets them get out of the kill zone after attacking. Mounted archery does less damage but it can have great mobility, thanks to being able to move and full attack by default. Sounds like skirmishing, the tactic, to me.

Blackhawk748
2014-03-02, 05:53 PM
Im all for using both actually, the Skirmish ability will allow you to destroy anything at close range if the massive volley of arrows doesnt first

Ravens_cry
2014-03-02, 05:55 PM
Im all for using both actually, the Skirmish ability will allow you to destroy anything at close range if the massive volley of arrows doesnt first
And 3d8 plus 3x mods won't? Remember, these are Followers we are talking about here.

gorfnab
2014-03-02, 05:58 PM
Barbarian - Horselord ACF (Dragon #338)

MadGreenSon
2014-03-02, 05:59 PM
To do a good Attila you will need the mounted abilities. But Attila was not just about what he could do. He was all about getting his army/horde together and razing empires.

So get what you need for basic competency/excellence as a mounted warrior and then really pour on the Leadership optimization, you need a horde!

The Leadership is where you'll need to focus more of your efforts.

Flickerdart
2014-03-02, 07:07 PM
I'm not seeing anything in the Skirmish description that would prevent you from using it while mounted. Even if there is something I'm missing, I don't think it would be unreasonable to allow. After all, it only applies to ranged attacks within 30ft, and you're playing a muggle.
Errata took it away.

Mongolian racial trait?
The Hunnic peoples were Caucasian, not Mongolian.

Duke of Urrel
2014-03-02, 10:07 PM
Mighty composite bows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_bow) would also be appropriate.

EDIT: But Flickerdart is right. The Huns pre-dated the Mongols, so if you really want to be accurate, scratch the composite bows.

POSTSCRIPT: I don't believe we know much about Attila's race, or even his language. The theory that I learned in grad school, and that also gets mentioned in Wikipedia, is that the name Attila may not be Hunnish at all, but Gothic or some other Germanic language. The Huns both conquered and allied themselves with the Goths, Germanic tribes (now vanished) who formerly inhabited that area that is now Ukraine. The name might have meant something like "little Papa," because the -la ending is a diminutive. Probably ironic, like "Little John."

Petrocorus
2014-03-02, 11:29 PM
The Hunnic peoples were Caucasian, not Mongolian.

Actually, he was rather an eurasian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attila). He didn't came from Caucasus. I think people think of mongholia because of the mounted archery.

The Huns also used melee too. A swift hunter build might be an idee.