PDA

View Full Version : PF and 3.5, What Changes.

Teapot Salty
2014-03-02, 05:36 PM
Hey guys. My dm is talking about making the switch from 3.5 to pf, and I was wondering what changes? What gets buffed? What gets nerfed? What happens mechanically. I think I remember reading that it started out as a set of house rules and now it's a, for lack of a better term, game. Thanks a lot.
And as always, go nuts.

Snowbluff
2014-03-02, 05:55 PM
I won't go into nerfed/buff right off the bat, but I will give the major changes.

Skills: Many skills were consolidated. Perception is a combination of spot and listen, for example. A skill rank costs 1 skill point ,regardless of skill list. If you have a skill as a class skill and you have at least 1 rank in it, you get a +3 bonus.

Feats: You get 1 every odd level. Melee feat chains were extended.

CMB/CMD: This is a rule that governs trip/disarm/etc. CMB and CMD are largely based on your base attack bonus and Str/Dex.

These rules are far reaching implications and effects in the rules. For example, the cross class skill rule is thought to weaken the role of the rogue and similiar classes to some.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-02, 06:01 PM
This guide was written early on PF's life, but it should still be relevant.

The 3.5/Pathfinder Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136890)

Psyren
2014-03-02, 06:01 PM
Saph wrote a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136890); it deals primarily with core but it's a good place to start. There are far too many changes, especially when you get down to detailed stuff like spells, to really put them all in one place.

Ninjas, ninjas everywhere

Snowbluff
2014-03-02, 06:04 PM
Ninjas, ninjas everywhere

That's the other thing. I mean, literally. People like the ninja more than the rogue. :smalltongue:

malonkey1
2014-03-02, 06:33 PM
That's the other thing. I mean, literally. People like the ninja more than the rogue. :smalltongue:

Meh, personally I prefer Rogue, just because I usually play Euro-Medieval games (So Ninja gets left out, and Monk's only allowed with a whole bunch of archetypes that make it more "occidental" in function). Honestly, more than Either, I prefer to run Factotum, which is pretty much PF-Compatible right out of the box (or book, as it were).

One of the major fixes/nerfs was to the polymorph spells: they got split into lines of spells for becoming specific types (so you'd need to cast form of the dragon to take the shape of a dragon), and you only get set ability mods and a much more limited subset of the extraordinary abilities of the form. They in turn nerfed wildshape by making it simply replicate some of these polymorph spells.

Fighters get marginally better, mostly because of skill consolidation.

Rogues get a lot more options for special abilities (including being allowed to crib from its big brother, the Ninja).

Monks greatly improved, having lots of healthy buffs and the addition of their ki pool ability.

Clerics are largely unchanged (although domains now offer two abilities instead of one, the second gained at level 8), except for their "Energy Channeling" ability replacing Turn Undead. Basically you heal/deal damage based on your deity alignment instead of turn/rebuking undead (although you can still do that with the Turn Undead feat.

Rangers are now a full-BAB frontliner with plenty of feat support (you get more choices in combat style, and more choices within that style).

Paladins can now remove negative conditions when laying on hands, and their Smite Evil is now an encounter-duration ability.

Sorcerers now have "Bloodlines" which offer free spells, bonus feats, and some useful utility powers.

Bards can substitute certain perform checks for some of their other skills, and gain the ability to take 10 or 20 on Knowledge checks

Barbarians get "Rage Powers", powers that can be used in a rage. Because that's no obvious at all.

Additionally, they've added a few new classes of their own, including Alternate Classes (classes that were based on an existing class but were too sweeping in difference to be an Archetype/ACF), such as Antipaladin/Paladin, Ninja/Rogue, and Samurai/Cavalier; and the all-new base classes:

Alchemist: An arcane-ish pseudocaster that creates short-lived magical potions called extracts and flings alchemical bombs.

Cavalier: A fighting class built around a mount, as well as a new class of feats called Teamwork Feats (you and another character with the same feat can work together to share a bonus).

Gunslinger: A daredevil class that uses Grit to perform impressive Deeds, while wielding firearms.

Inquisitor: A religious zealot that combines some of the casting of a Cleric with deadly frontline combat.

Magus: Something of a Wizard/Fighter, often called Eldritch Knight the class. Specializes in wielding spells in melee combat.

Oracle: Divine sorcerer (basically) that carries some sort of curse that also provides benefits.

Summoner: Buff/summon focused half-caster with a powerful and customizable companion called an Eidolon

Witch: A prepared arcane caster that gains hexes and stores her spells in a familiar.