PDA

View Full Version : Druid, Pirate.

TimeWizard
2007-01-31, 11:52 PM
My new DM is starting up a pirate campaign inspired by One Peice. This essentially means we travel the sea looking for adventure, treasure, and villians to beat up instead of plundering and being bad people. Good for a first time DM.

I've decided to roll up a water based Druid, but I have no experience playing one, so I turn to you folks for help. It seems that Druids have three options to choose from: A) Emphasis on Spellcasting B) Shapeshifting C) Pets**. Are any of these noticably more/less powerful? What combination of Race/PrC's best serves each goal? Assume I have access to anything 3rd edition.

Also, I'm NOT looking for the most optimal character, I'm looking for fun. Besides, I'm playing with some new players and I don't want them to be overshadowed.

** Not really sold on the beast master approach. But if anyone could present a compelling argument I'm more then willing to listen.

Dairun Cates
2007-01-31, 11:59 PM
I'd first like to state that there are better systems in my opinion for pirate campaigns. D&D just doesn't always seem to do them well. Still I doubt I'll change your GM's mind on system so...

Well, for power, you're supposed to combine the shapeshifting and spell throwing, but if we're talking over the top pirate adventure here, I'd say the druid's not really the best class. Still, if you want to go druid, I'd almost say the spell-casting route is better unless you want to be able to turn into a dolphin.

Person_Man
2007-02-01, 12:04 AM
Just being a strait Druid is quite potent and fun. They're versitile enough that you don't have to go into a prestige class and emphasize one set of abilities over any other.

Also, if your DM hasn't already done so, he should pick up Stormwrack. It's an excellent book all about adventuring on the high seas. It's one of my favorites.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-01, 12:08 AM
There are good aquatic things to turn into (just look at the Giant Squid with its ELEVEN natural attacks)--or you could use spells to function aquatically and turn into regular things.

There's no need to choose: druids can do all three things at once. You don't need Beastmaster to have a valuable animal companion. Straight Druid will do.

Druid spells are great for a pirate campaign.

What level are you starting at?

Red Sky Knight
2007-02-01, 12:22 AM
I think thepirate druid is an awesome concept, full of flavour. after all, doesnt the druid represent the archetype of the strange loner who lives at one with the elements in vast wilderness areas? the spell list for a druid, at first glance seems quite suited to such a campaign. at mid levels, repel wood could be quite interesting, as well as ironwood, find the path, and others.

at higher levels, storm of vengeance, whirlwind, reverse gravity, fire storm, control weather and summon elemental swarm could prove invaluable. good prestige classes could include the sea with from stormwrack with a few small tweaks to the requirements, also the storm caster and the wavekeeper may be worth considering.

Leon
2007-02-01, 01:41 AM
Stormwrack is your Friend, Druid's can pull all 3 of those Archtypes off at once

As to races, what ever tickles your fancy and suits the setting

axraelshelm
2007-02-01, 01:56 AM
race. choosing a race for the druid is abit like choosing a colour for your nuclear weapon anything can be good and even if its not good IT will be good so yeah choose something thats in the world but not too weird to play.

Chris_tian
2007-02-01, 03:22 AM
I have a race I would recommend for a wateroriented druid.
Or rather af halfbreed.
If you have the bastards and bloodlines book, the Merg is perfect for a water adventure with a spellcaster. No lvl adj. and you get to breathe water.

I can't think of a god PrC right now, my first thought, the MoMF, isn't really well suited for wateradventures.

Fizban
2007-02-01, 03:31 AM
Well for race you can never go wrong with human. If you want something that can breathe underwater, there's enough subtypes of everything out there that one should suit you.

As always for a spellcaster I highly recommend the spell compendium. I don't know how much it overlaps strormwrack here, but it has some really nifty sea and storm based spells that your druid should love.

Leon
2007-02-01, 03:43 AM
Slight Hijack on Sea related things - Sea elves are listd with a +1 LA on the table and nothing in the Text, which is right?

Starbuck_II
2007-02-01, 06:22 AM
There are good aquatic things to turn into (just look at the Giant Squid with its ELEVEN natural attacks)--or you could use spells to function aquatically and turn into regular things.

There's no need to choose: druids can do all three things at once. You don't need Beastmaster to have a valuable animal companion. Straight Druid will do.

Druid spells are great for a pirate campaign.

What level are you starting at?
However, a level or 2 in Beast Master isn't bad (+3 or something to Druid level for Animal Companion advancement).

Rigeld2
2007-02-01, 08:01 AM
Slight Hijack on Sea related things - Sea elves are listd with a +1 LA on the table and nothing in the Text, which is right?

Text Trumps Table

JellyPooga
2007-02-01, 08:15 AM
Race for a Druid at sea? Sea Kin (Races of Destiny). They can't breathe water, but they can hold their breath for much longer than land critters and they have a swim speed. Oh, their favoured class is Druid too and they have cool black eyes.

If I were playing a Sea Kin Druid in said campaign, I'd probably focus on going the Beastmaster route (taking the PrC of same name). I don't like the imagery of underwater spells much (too many bubbles invovled and trying to say the verbal components can't be that easy) and the shapeshifting thing, werl, I dunno...I just prefer the idea of a guy who can call upon his sea-bound chums to help him out. Presumably there's going to be a ship invovled, so being a Beastmaster allows you to have landbound companions as well as seabound ones, which is always useful for those parts of the adventure that take place on land.

Person_Man
2007-02-01, 10:20 AM
Stormwrack has some interesting water based races, including a Sea Elves, who have no LA. The main benefit of each of them is that they can breath under water. But a Druid can just Wildshape into one of the many water breathing animals. (Shark with freakin lazers!)

So my suggestion is just to be Human for the bonus feat and Skill points. But seriously, its a Druid. Take Natural Spell and don't do anything retarded, and you'll be fine.

Leon
2007-02-01, 11:55 PM
Text Trumps Table

Thankyou, just had me puzzled

FdL
2007-02-02, 12:05 AM
I once found a character similar to what you're talking about in these very forums. Search for "Gufi the Dreadful" and see if you like it.

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-02, 12:32 AM
I once found a character similar to what you're talking about in these very forums. Search for "Gufi the Dreadful" and see if you like it.

That was an entry in our Official Design Contest a few months back. Gufi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9710&highlight=gufi)

Ravenscroft
2007-02-02, 01:12 AM
The Hadozee Race , page 151 in Stormwrack , would also be a fun race to play.

The creature looks like a simian of some kind ,
covered in tawny fur , with a muzzle full of small , sharp teeth.
He has wide winglike flaps of skin joining his wrists to his ankles ,
and wears a simple leather harness with a cutlass at his hip.

Medium Humanoid , no LA , +02 Dex , -02 Cha and you get a Glide speed of 40 feet (poor maneuverabilty).
All have access to Profession (Sailor) as a class skill whatever their actual class.

Page 50 of Stormwrack lists alternate animal companions for an aquatic campaign.
Woodland Stride (for a Druid with a Racial Swim Speed) can be applied to difficult aquatic terrain instead.

TimeWizard
2007-02-02, 12:49 PM
Thanks so much for all the input! I think I'm going to roll human, based on the way shapeshifting makes racial abilities such as fly or water breathing a tad unnecesary.

Bears: We are starting at level 1

So, what are some good, utility spells?

RaistlinandPals
2007-02-02, 07:16 PM
If it's based off of One Piece, does that mean you will get cool fruity powers(heh. pun.)? And I hope for your party's sake that it's not based of of the 4kids version..otherwise your weapons will be squirt guns and any background music will be rap.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-02, 08:11 PM
Thanks so much for all the input! I think I'm going to roll human, based on the way shapeshifting makes racial abilities such as fly or water breathing a tad unnecesary.

Bears: We are starting at level 1

So, what are some good, utility spells?

At first level? Not much. Endure Elements, maybe. Speak With Animals willl let the fishies help you navigate. Create Water on a daily basis means that the crew doesn't have to take any fresh water with them.

The spell compendium has Wings of the Sea (+30 feet to someone's swim speed for min/level), Wood Wose (minor tasks, like an Unseen Servant), Aura Against Flame which is nice if the ship ever catches on fire, Deep Breath in case you or someone else starts drowning. Nothing exceptional, though.

Second-level spells include Warp Wood and Wood Shape, which let you do repairs and build stuff. The SpC gives you One with the Land (+2 to some skill checks) and Swim.