PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Feral/Obbittian Dragon (PEACH)

Whitersnake
2014-03-02, 08:04 PM
Hi guys!

In my setting, one of the continents has dragons who, rather than the standard d&d spellcasting genius dragons, are feral beasts who rely on their natural attacks and flames. I made a template to easily convert standard chromatic dragons to Obbittian dragons, though it could also be used by others for any feral dragons. Here's what I have:

Obbittian Dragon
The dragons of Obbittia are a strange breed. Larger, stronger, and tougher than other dragons, they are to more common dragons what dire creatures are to normal animals. This strength, however, comes at a cost: Obbittian dragons are little more than animals and do not use magic.

Creating an Obbittian Dragon
"Obbittian" is an inherited*template*that can be added to any chromatic*dragon (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
An Obbittian dragon uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.

Size and Type
An Obbittian Dragon is still a dragon. Its size increases by one size category.

Special Attacks
A fiendish creature retains all the special attacks and spell-like abilities of the base creature and any additional natural attacks granted to a dragon of its new size, but it loses any spellcasting progression it had thanks to dragon hit dice. Additionally, an Obbittian dragon gains a special attack based on its color:

Black -- Fast Healing (Ex) – fast healing 5
Blue --Powerful Charge – 1d8 for Medium, 2d6 Large, 3d6 Huge, 4d6 Gargantuan, 6d6 Colossal
Green -- Poison (Ex) – on bite attack - Injury, Fortitude DC varies, initial and secondary damage 2d6 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Red -- Rake
White -- Pounce

Special Qualities
An Obbittian dragon retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following:

1) Damage reduction* 5 points higher than usual. If the new DR is higher than 15, it is now DR/magic and Adamantine
2) Natural Armor 5 points higher than usual

Abilities
Str +6 Dex +4 Con +6 Int -10 (minimum 3)

Environment
Any in Obbittia

Challenge Rating
?

Alignment
Always evil (any).

Level Adjustment
?

My question to you guys: How does this template adjust LA and CR? Is it a good idea, or simply not fun?

Debihuman
2014-03-03, 02:46 AM
Unfortunately, this template has a few problems.

The loss of spellcasting is not necessarily offset by the qualities it gains.

You would have to playtest this to get appropriate CR and LA.

How much damage does the Red dragon's rake do?

Debby

Eurus
2014-03-03, 03:07 AM
The CR modification would have to depend on age category, or better yet, on how much spellcasting the creature actually lost. On a really young dragon, it'd be a straight upgrade, since they don't have those abilities anyway. On an older dragon, it would probably be a net loss.

Whitersnake
2014-03-05, 07:29 PM
Regardless of the CR and LA, do you think a dragon with this template can still provide a good challenge for a party?