PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Downtime Ideas?

Mjollnir075
2014-03-03, 12:25 AM
Hey everyone, I got a couple questions for you.

I've been DMing a Rise of the Runelords game for a few months now (somewhat irregularly due to major life changes for everyone in the group) and my PC's just finished the first chapter. For those who are familiar, they just beat Nualia and accidentally released Malfeshnakor into the world (I know that's not supposed to happen, but they couldn't beat him and they ran, and I wanted him to be a reoccurring threat so I Rule-o'-Cooled him). So after they got back to town and warned everyone about the now released, angry Barghest, they didn't really know what to do.

So I ask you, how do you get players to take advantage of downtime? It might seem obvious to people who have been playing for a long time, but this campaign and a previous one that got derailed and shelved (for now) are the only times my PC's have played any tabletop RPG. I am wondering how I can best interest them in interacting with the world of their own accord. One of my players showed interest in opening up a morgue/graveyard (he's a necromancer), but he lacks the funding to do so now.

If it helps, the PC's are (gestalted)
(Homebrewed) Dread Necromancer//Occultist
Druid//Witch
Alchemist//Saurian Shaman Druid

So I guess the problem is that I'm fairly new at DMing, the other being that the PC's aren't too familiar with what they can do.

So, what do you guys recommend?

TL;DR
Need help finding stuff for my newbie-ish players to do with their downtime.

P.S
I do own Ultimate Campaign, but I haven't read it completely through. What I did check out, though, seemed like it might be too expensive for low-leveled PCs to really do.