View Full Version : Books Question regarding Printed Books

CrispyCriminal
2014-03-03, 01:26 AM
So I've noticed plenty of errors in quite a few of the comics, not just writing errors but graphical ones. Wounds missing, typos in dialogue, skin mis-colors, Durkon missing his arms in #269. Are those fixed in the printed books? Scratch and Dent ones excluded of course.

It's not me being nit-picky on the quality or anything, it's quite easy to forgive them considering this is a stick figure comic. But I am nonetheless curious whether they are fixed all the same, especially considering the price differences between the two variants of the books you can buy.

I do have the prequel books and SS&DT though, but they are print exclusive so they don't really answer my question.

And sorry if this has been asked before, I can't find a search feature on this forum to see if this has been answered.

jere7my
2014-03-03, 01:30 AM
So I've noticed plenty of errors in quite a few of the comics, not just writing errors but graphical ones. Wounds missing, typos in dialogue, skin mis-colors, Durkon missing his arms in #269. Are those fixed in the printed books? Scratch and Dent ones excluded of course.

It's not me being nit-picky on the quality or anything, it's quite easy to forgive them considering this is a stick figure comic. But I am nonetheless curious whether they are fixed all the same, especially considering the price differences between the two variants of the books you can buy.

Scratch and Dent books don't have any different content; they're just dinged-up copies of the regular books, with a creased cover or what-have-you.

CrispyCriminal
2014-03-03, 01:37 AM
Scratch and Dent books don't have any different content; they're just dinged-up copies of the regular books, with a creased cover or what-have-you.

That is true, but sometimes there is a screw up with the inking that may end up getting shipped instead of a slightly damaged copy. I figured it was best to exclude them on that regard.

Nimrod's Son
2014-03-03, 01:47 AM
Most of the typos and art errors are fixed in the books. There are a handful that slipped through though, as well as, bizarrely, a couple of new ones.

ChristianSt
2014-03-03, 06:14 AM
While it is not really the question, I can honestly say that I think that buying the books what one of the better book-buying decisions I made :smallbiggrin:.

I just looked it up: The arm in #269 is fixed in my print version. I can't say how many errors are fixed (since I'm pretty bad at spotting them even in the online version). So yes, Rich tries to fix errors for the print version. And it might be give some differences between different editions, for example the first edition of (I think NCftPB) missed some of the translations for Haley's Gibberish, but it got fixed in later editions. [Though I would assume that there will not be any further changes to the old books due to the changed hard/software (more on that later)]

I can't really say I've noticed miss-coloring either (but again, that might be a general bad spot-check on my part). And from what the Giant said some color-changes in the online comic is a result to adapting his color-schemes to colors that work in printed books.

The most severe change in the books so far is probably the border change for Book 1. The online strips up to #102 feature wobbly borders, while #103 onward features straight borders. Book 1 features all strips in straight borders only.

Book 5 will feature some other severe changes, mostly caused because of Rich's computer failure (https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/413001866184622080): As a result he lost the original files for #931 to #934 and will need to re-create them for the books. He also needed to change software, resulting in differences in color/font (https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/413772739028058116). I'm not sure how that will affect the Book 5 process, but it could make it all a bit different.

At least Ookoodook says that the only difference between the regular and the scratch&dent is that is has some cosmetic damage on the outside. And a mixed up printing is not something I would see as "cosmetic damage".

(The search function is currently unavailable - but soon there will be a forum upgrade in the near future, where it hopefully will return some day)

Nimrod's Son
2014-03-05, 12:35 AM
Just started a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17121922#post17121922) that answers this question pretty thoroughly. :smallsmile: