PDA

View Full Version : if stuck with tier 5, what to gesalt with healer?

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 01:27 AM
if stuck with tier 5, what to gesalt with healer, and you can consider anything for use, just tier 5 is the challenge.

Fighter, Monk, CA Ninja, Healer, Swashbuckler, Rokugan Ninja, Soulknife, Expert, OA Samurai, Paladin, Knight, CW Samurai (with Imperious Command available), Divine Mind, Soulborn, Battledancer, Mountebank, Noble, Sohei

ericgrau
2014-03-03, 02:24 AM
Assuming I actually wanted to use the healer to heal... something with a passive cha based ability so probably paladin for the saves. At least for 2 levels. You might do an ok build with extra smiting to smite blitz round 1-2 then heal for future rounds because you never actually put much into strength.

AuraTwilight
2014-03-03, 02:29 AM
I'd say Paladin. The Healer's main problem is that it doesn't really have much to DO if it's not healing, and a Paladin atleast synergizes with it decently.

OldTrees1
2014-03-03, 02:31 AM
Healer // Healer

I would do Ninja. You can stick to being a Healer in combat and a Skillmonkey outside of it.

Psyren
2014-03-03, 02:34 AM
I'd use Ninja so I could sneak around the battlefield being a combat medic, and performing nonlethal takedowns of more dangerous foes. Also Wis-synergy.

Svata
2014-03-03, 02:37 AM
As has been said, either paladin or ninja.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 02:40 AM
There is something appealing about Healer//Ninja. Hanging out in the hospital/healing tent/whatever, doing the Healer thing and subtly killing the people who need killing.

If you play a Ninja as an actual "shadowy, disguise-using killer/merc" you could be a seriously hardcore assassin that way. (Use the Rokugan Ninja)

For a purely "Kung-Fu Mystic" vibe Healer // Monk or Healer // Sohei might be fun too. Enlightened Sage who heals with a touch? I think it works.

Healer // Mountebank? Well... Powerful Healer who keeps his wealthy patrons under his beguiling cult-like influence?

Will agree with Aura Twilight about Paladin // Healer too. It really expands your options and can put out a serious "holy warrior with extra holy" vibe with all the healing your noble knight type will be doing.

Krazzman
2014-03-03, 02:44 AM
If gestalting with Ninja: remember to take leadership and get a Raptorriding Halfling Gunslinger and an awakened Gorrilla as Companions.

Svata
2014-03-03, 02:53 AM
If gestalting with Ninja: remember to take leadership and get a Raptorriding Halfling Gunslinger and an awakened Gorrilla as Companions.

Have an intermet, good sir.

Drachasor
2014-03-03, 03:00 AM
Hmm, Paladin would be pretty awesome with it if there was something like Arcane Strike for divine spells.

Vortenger
2014-03-03, 05:04 AM
Are PrC's or variants allowed?

For theoretical exercise, how about

Healer 15/ Sacred Exorcist 1/ Prestige Paladin(levels 1&3), Human Paragon (levels 2&3)
//
Fighter 2/ Martial Monk 2/ Human Paragon (level 1)/ Soulknife PrC 1/ Soulbow 10/ Pr. Paladin (level 2)/ Ninja 2
(Not in order of class level taken, Soulknife from Athas.org. Yes, its official.)

Main feats would be Zen Archery, Serenity, and Battle Blessing. Oh, and standard archery of course. DMM is a possibility, but prereqs are harsh.

Wis for casting, AC, saves, ranged attacks and damage.
20th level healer casting adding in quickened paladin spells for versatility. ( And one could always make a case for exalted spells as well.)
If not using partial BAB, you can maintain a full +20 BAB as well.

Edit: That might not be quite what you were after, but our group had a challenge to create 'the best' Healer (gestalt) we could recently. I couldn't resist.
For a more standard entry I submit Healer paired with Paladin leading in to Fist of Raziel. At least you get to smite mightily and more often. What would you do with the horse and the coatl, though?

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 05:31 AM
For a more standard entry I submit Healer paired with Paladin leading in to Fist of Raziel. At least you get to smite mightily and more often. What would you do with the horse and the coatl, though?

You ride the horse.
A coatl is at least as smart as any PC, powerful, and can change shape. Considering their alignment inclinations and the fact that you would be a Paladin. You could be best buds with the coatl!

Have the coatl assume a humanoid form (as they can do) and the two of you can go out and he can be your wingman (heh) for a night of Lawful Good partying!:smallcool:

Eldan
2014-03-03, 07:09 AM
Obvious. You have the coatl change shape to a small humanoid. Then the coatl rides your shoulders while you ride the horse.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 07:38 AM
Obvious. You have the coatl change shape to a small humanoid. Then the coatl rides your shoulders while you ride the horse.

Then out for a night of Lawful and Good revelry?

ace rooster
2014-03-03, 07:43 AM
Healer // Healer

I would do Ninja. You can stick to being a Healer in combat and a Skillmonkey outside of it.

Like some sort of Doctor Ninja (http://drmcninja.com/)? :smallsmile:

Psyren
2014-03-03, 08:56 AM

This one went right over my head; care to explain?

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 09:11 AM
There is a webcomic, Dr McNinja, about an Irish ninja who defies his clan of Irish ninjas and went into pediatrics. His sidekick is a Mexican child bandit from a group of renegade Mexican geneticists who created a pack of velocaraptors to ride around the desert, robbing minivans. His secretary is a gorrila.

He surfs Robot Dracula through reentry from the moon.

It is exactly as awesome as it sounds.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-03, 12:51 PM
Battledancer//Healer. Your sexy dancing heals those who watch. No, seriously, I would play that character. And it would be fun. Go for an AC of "No" and Evasive Reflexes/Free Movement Build. Dip sacred exorcist to power Travel Devotion?

Really wish there was more of a way to draw aggro in this game aside from tanking with a Crusader.

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 01:56 PM
Just not feeling battle dancer..... feel like you could pretend to do the same with a monk.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-03, 02:07 PM
Just not feeling battle dancer..... feel like you could pretend to do the same with a monk.

Mmm. Yeah, monk has more support by leagues, and much better ACFs and so forth. And I'm a huge fan of monk in principle, so I'm all for that.

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 02:11 PM
What acf's do you suggest for a heavy healer monk ?

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 02:13 PM
Invisible fist is nice, as is focused assault.

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 02:15 PM
except being evil part :P

you know good healers and all , lol

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-03, 02:16 PM
Mmm. Yeah, monk has more support by leagues, and much better ACFs and so forth. And I'm a huge fan of monk in principle, so I'm all for that.
Plus, better Wisdom synergy.

For Monk ACFs, you'll want Decisive Strike (PHB 2), and possibly Holy Strike (CC) for fluff if nothing else. Some of the Fighting Styles from UA are decent, particularly Passive Way (free Improved Trip!) Invisible Fist (which has no alignment requirements whatsoever). Also, I think there's a Wildshape monk somewhere in Dragon, although that probably wouldn't count as T5 anymore.

Rakaydos
2014-03-03, 02:29 PM
Anyone up for running a Tier 5 Gestalt game? I've been meaning to play a Fighter//Expert...

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 02:41 PM
QuickBlade ijitisu focus. With fighter feats. Can be deadly

Rakaydos
2014-03-03, 02:49 PM
Out of curiosity, is there any tier 5 (or tier 6) casters that arnt the healer or paladin? I dont reconize most of those classes.

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 02:55 PM
fighter cast trip, fighter cast sunder, fighter cast knockback

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-03, 03:10 PM
Out of curiosity, is there any tier 5 (or tier 6) casters that arnt the healer or paladin? I dont reconize most of those classes.
Divine Mind is a 6th level manifester. I mean, it's a craptastic failure of a marshal//ardent mashup (9 powers known at 20th level? Really?), but it's a caster type. Beyond that, magic is so strong that you have to have some serious dysfunction to cast spells and hit T5-- and even then, you're probably only one build choice (Serenity for Paladin; Sand Shaper or Sanctified Spells for the Healer) away from a higher tier.

Psyren
2014-03-03, 03:23 PM

Divine Mind was mentioned, but Soulborn is also sort of a caster? Kind of, ish?

Rubik
2014-03-03, 03:24 PM
High-powered monk. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863) Feel free to take the wildshape monk and invisible fist ACFs. Seems like it could be useful.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-03, 03:31 PM
Divine Mind was mentioned, but Soulborn is also sort of a caster? Kind of, ish?
Eehhh... that's pretty ish...

Yogibear41
2014-03-03, 03:41 PM
1 level of battle dancer, then paladin for Charisma to everything, or 1 level of monk then paladin with the serenity feat for wisdom to everything.

And just not to sound like everybody else, maybe soulborn cuz magic of incarnum is pretty cool, and stack essentia boosting and shape soulmeld feats.

If you do go paladin pick up an opposite gender unicorn from the one you get from healer for your mount, take the celstial mount afc or feat, let time pass, welcome to your celestial unicorn cohort army.

Was going to put that in blue, but seems a legit strategy when I think about it.

Rubik
2014-03-03, 03:45 PM
If you do go paladin pick up an opposite gender unicorn from the one you get from healer for your mount, take the celstial mount afc or feat, let time pass, welcome to your celestial unicorn cohort army.Don't you mean half-celestial half-unicorn army?

Vortenger
2014-03-03, 04:53 PM
1 level of battle dancer, then paladin for Charisma to everything, or 1 level of monk then paladin with the serenity feat for wisdom to everything.

Hey, this sounds familiar...

The Charisma idea is sound, though you may need Dynamic Priest to fix spellcasting. The two unicorn idea...well played, sir.

prufock
2014-03-03, 05:26 PM
Paladin is a good option. For some reason, I'm also feeling Knight. Decent Cha synergy, full BAB, high HP, saddle up your unicorn and take advantage of bonus mounted feats. Heal your unicorn when it gets hurt, it heals you when you get hurt. Turn Undead would be nice to have with some divine feats, though.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I would go paladin and grab a holy lance and Law and Protection devotion. Use your turn undead attempts to power your devotion feats, and charge into combat all buffed up.

Another good option is DMM quicken. Healing is actually useful as a swift action, and swift mass heal will make your DM grind his teeth.

I wouldn't go past paladin 4 though, as you don't need two mounts.

Or go Elf paladin and do a ranged build for TWO UNICORNS!

Lans
2014-03-03, 06:57 PM

Magewright

Rubik
2014-03-03, 07:08 PM
Expert is pretty great. You choose your own class skills, and there are some really nice skills out there. Look at Lucid Dreaming, Autohypnosis, and Iaijutsu Focus. Then add some human paragon to boost yourself with another skill.