PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Quasilycanthrope so good?

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 02:53 AM
Just pulling this out real quick, is what makes the Quasilycanthrope, so good, is that you get some benefits of the animal you normally would have to pay HD/LA for , all at the cost of just 1 LA ?

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 02:55 AM
Just pulling this out real quick, is what makes the Quasilycanthrope, so good, is that you get some benefits of the animal you normally would have to pay HD/LA for , all at the cost of just 1 LA ?

DR 10/Silver? Other than that the effects are pretty cosmetic other than getting the shapechanger subtype.

bekeleven
2014-03-03, 03:27 AM
DR 10/Silver? Other than that the effects are pretty cosmetic other than getting the shapechanger subtype.
DR 10 makes a mean tank in early levels, plus the race has warshaper entry.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 03:48 AM
DR 10 makes a mean tank in early levels, plus the race has warshaper entry.

Good points. However I do not think that it's worth 1 LA. Over the long haul the DR becomes pretty useless and there's lots of ways into warshaper.

Zanos
2014-03-03, 04:12 AM
Buying off LA 1 is pretty trivial if your group allows buyoff.

And DR 10/silver is never really worthless. Even if enemies are doing 40 damage per hit, you're still taking 25% less damage. It's pretty rare for NPCs to have silver weapons unless they're specifically hunting lycanthropes.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 05:24 AM
Buying off LA 1 is pretty trivial if your group allows buyoff.

And DR 10/silver is never really worthless. Even if enemies are doing 40 damage per hit, you're still taking 25% less damage. It's pretty rare for NPCs to have silver weapons unless they're specifically hunting lycanthropes.

On reflection you're right. I must have been thinking of the knightly order in one of my games who tend to have armor and weapons solely forged of either alchemical silver or alchemical gold (anyone else ever use that?). They're a bunch of self righteous a-holes that the PCs have clashed with many times. They call 'em the "Bling Knights":smallbiggrin:

But yeah, silver isn't too big as far as most item crafting goes. You'd think it would be not that it's mentioned, it's not like it's only good for lycanthropes.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-03-03, 05:52 AM
Silver weapons are useful against lycanthropes and some devils. There's a few more cases i don't recall of the top of my head but that's pretty much it.
Additionally there's spells, enhancements and alchemical items that let a weapon count as silvered if you need it.

From a PC perspective, if your going to make a weapon with a special material adamantine is usually the first thing people go for simply because it's more universally useful.
If your going to spring for a backup it's probably going to be cold iron since it's harder to get "on the fly" than silver and useful against more (and ime more common) enemies.
Even if you go for second backup it's probably not going to be silver. Probably something non-metallic like Riverine or Bronzewood.
A few doses of silversheen or a spellcaster are usually enough for the occassional enemy with DR/silver.

From a DM perspective the only enemies carrying silver weapons will be those who have a legitimate reason to. So, Lycanthrope hunters and maybe some special orders of devil hunters (or people you have personally pissed of and for some reason not killed). Unless those are a central element of your campaign it's probably not going to come up much.
It's also only viable for humanoid enemies. Most monsters have no way to get through DR/silver.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 07:37 AM
You're right. I'll prove you right too, next time I get to play in a game rather than run I'm getting custom magical weapons made from gold.
No good reason, no optimization, just bling for bling's sake:smallwink:

Ellowryn
2014-03-03, 08:59 AM
Quick question, what IS a quasilycanthrope? And does it only give the shapechanger subtype and DR 10/silver?

Piggy Knowles
2014-03-03, 09:03 AM
Quick question, what IS a quasilycanthrope? And does it only give the shapechanger subtype and DR 10/silver?

They're found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a). They also get a rather limited disguise self ability.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 09:31 AM
DR 10/silver is really powerful, and makes for a good base for a DR stacking build abusing roll with it and mineral warrior, and maybe troll blooded just for kicks. Really tanky as a sweet spot about level 7-8.

Rebel7284
2014-03-03, 09:51 AM
Different types of DR does not stack.. (Roll With It specifically being the exception due to the wording of the feat)

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 09:56 AM
The thing is that a weapon cannot be both silver and adimantium, so they have to eat the 10/silver or the 8/adi, and if they bypass the silver, they are also eating the -1 damage of a silver weapon, so they adi acts like 9/adi.

THEN you pile on roll with it as many times as possible. You buy off 1 LA, then the other, so you are bought off by 6th level.

I prefer to do this on a warblade base, so you can do enough damage with your base class that you don't have to worry about power attack abuse.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-03, 10:09 AM
Power Attack and Leap attack (or a Valorous weapon) are usually enough to keep damage relevant, so you could do it on another chassis (I forget if Roll with it is a fighter feat, it would be hilarious to use all your fighter bonus feat on it).

But you are technically mistaken on something, there are ways to bypass both DR/Addy and DR/silver with the same weapon. There is a ring in the MIC that makes your weapon counts as adamantine for DR (and maybe Hardness I don't remember exactly purposes and there are a gauntlets which do the same, but count as silver and magic.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 10:22 AM
Oh, I know it CAN be done, but it makes it much harder to bypass your DR. You are unlikely to find someone with a silver weapon, much less someone who has a weapon they managed to count as both silver AND adi.

Sadly, roll with it isn't a fighter feat.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-03, 10:35 AM
True, true. It would be hilarious to sic something like that on an unsuspecting party... well for the DM at the very least.

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 10:45 AM
Hmm.....they do get..... special qualities... makes me wonder who would be good considering that.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 10:50 AM
Eh, the parties I have thrown something like that at didn't even really notice. By the level 8-9 mark they are doing enough energy damage and disables that DR isn't worth it on a monster.

Now, what is really funny is a dwarven cleric with 3-4 of these as minions using the mineralize warrior spell and rebuke earth creature abilities. They make GREAT meat shields. I had a PC idea for a dwarven cleric who did this to captured enemies of great martial skill. It rendered them unable to defeat him in combat (he could rebuke them) and acted as community service to pay for their past misdeeds. During the period of service to him, he would convert them using the conversion rules from the BoED.

It helps to be LN about this, rather than LG.

EDIT - I just read it up, and it's a sorc/wis spell, so maybe a wizard with catalouges of enlightenment for the earth domain.

Nagukuk
2014-03-03, 10:53 AM
You're right. I'll prove you right too, next time I get to play in a game rather than run I'm getting custom magical weapons made from gold.

Actually in 2nd ed Ravenloft - there were very powerful werewolves - Loup Garou how ever it was spelled that were only affected by GOLD weapons.

CyberThread
2014-03-03, 11:02 AM
*horrible accent* We are the Loup, garou; we are thee best of the werewalfs. We live tha fine life, an only da gold will do.

RedMage125
2014-03-03, 12:15 PM
Actually in 2nd ed Ravenloft - there were very powerful werewolves - Loup Garou how ever it was spelled that were only affected by GOLD weapons.

I have the 2e Van Richten's Guide to Werewolves, and I don't think that's right.

Werewolves were silver, and other lycanthropes required different material. I think Wereravens were gold. Some were the wood of an ash tree, bone, or some other material.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-03, 12:20 PM
That is a certainly interesting ideas, different strains of lycanthropy reacting to different materials.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 12:23 PM
That is a common idea in several games. WoD has wereravens that are hurt by gold rather than silver as well.

Gold and silver are ties to the sun and moon in many stories, with silver also tied to purity and cleansing.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 08:05 PM
Actually in 2nd ed Ravenloft - there were very powerful werewolves - Loup Garou how ever it was spelled that were only affected by GOLD weapons. +lots of other bits from others

Fine! Be that way! I'll make the freakin' things out of Electrum! No one uses Electrum for anything anymore! :smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2014-03-03, 10:31 PM

Actually, Gold weapons appear in one of the Forgotten Realms books (as an Exotic weapon type, heavy weaponry).

Endarire
2014-03-04, 01:42 AM
Magic of Faerun.

Coidzor
2014-03-04, 01:46 AM
That reminds me, I was thinking of re-doing Quasilycanthrope as basically a Super-Shifter that's worth an LA, possibly due to just having unlimited/greatly increased access to shifting.

I should actually get on that soon.

Heavy Weapons Guy! :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2014-03-04, 02:20 AM
you mean the divine minion tempalte?

Coidzor
2014-03-04, 02:24 AM
you mean the divine minion tempalte?

The Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) is the Master of Many Forms' Best Friend, and would be even if all it gave was at will Wild Shape.

And, yes, both give access to warshaper.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-04, 03:06 AM
Heavy Weapons Guy! :smallbiggrin:

Hmmm... Heavy Weapons.... Ok! A Goliath Greathammer from Races of Stone made a Masterwork Gold Weapon (MW so that you can be sure it's as blingy as possible) would cost 7330gp, before any enchanting and do 2d8+1 damage at base and weigh 60+lbs. Then add in the cost of some enchanting...

Talk about crushing people with your wallet.:smallbiggrin: