PDA

View Full Version : Manyshot and Skirmish

JackMage666
2007-02-01, 12:16 AM
Hi -

I'm curious if you apply Skirmish damage to all arrows that hit with Manyshot. It says that you only add precision based damage once, but is Skirmish precision based?

It doesn't matter how well the foe can defend himself (unlike sneak attack), and it can be used against a foe that is staring straight at you, completely aware of your presence, so long as you move 10 ft. It doesn't sound precision based to me.

But at the same time, because it cannot deal extra damage to undead or similiar creatures, would it be?

I think it's debateable, and I'm not sure if you've already had this discussion or not. What do you guys think?

oriong
2007-02-01, 12:24 AM
Precision doesn't involve your foes defense, or catching him off guard. That's just a requirement for sneak attack.

Precision (as the name implies) requires hitting a specific spot for added effect. Sneak Attacks, Sudden Strikes, and Critical Hits are all precision based, so is Skirmish.

Aximili
2007-02-01, 12:39 AM
And that's why there is Greater Manyshot. o/

EDIT:Is Weapon Specialization precision based damage?

Ramza00
2007-02-01, 12:40 AM
Skirmish is precison damage thus it doesn't work with Manyshot but does work with Greater Manyshot

Greater Manyshot is in the XPH and thus the SRD yet it doesn't require any psionics, its just one of those normal feats.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot

If you are building a scout, may I suggest getting Complete Scoundrel. Improved Skirmish feat should add 2d6 more damage to your attack, and with the feat Swift Hunter your Scout and Ranger lvls stack for favored enemies and skirmish damage. Additionally you can skirmish things that are normally immune such as undead, constructs, plants, oozes, etc if you choose that creature type as one of your favored enemeis.

oriong
2007-02-01, 12:50 AM
EDIT:Is Weapon Specialization precision based damage?

Nah, if it was you wouldn't be able to use it against undead, constructs and the like.

JackMage666
2007-02-01, 12:55 AM
Already got the Complete Scoundrel, as well as mapped out the whole Ranger/Scount thing.

20 ft in a round is easy, as is 40 ft, so I'm going for Expeditious Dodge, too.

Going for an Air Mephling, with Air Heritage, so the whole Fly-by attack and Greater Manyshot thing is my plan. The skirmish, of course, is to make my small arrows kill better.

I would've never even remembered Greater Manyshot in the XPH... Why is it in there of all places?

Meaning, if I did my math right, I should easily be able to do 5d6+5 damage, 2/round, and gain a +6 Dodge AC at level 9. And, that's not including any favored enemy bonuses.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-01, 01:08 AM
To get Greater Manyshot ASAP, a level of fighter or two are needed.

Where are you gettign +6 dodge AC? Skirmishing on multiple attacks in the round doesn't stack the AC bonuses.

Ramza00
2007-02-01, 01:19 AM
Scout 3/Ranger 6/Scout 1

As your 6th lvl feat take Swfit Hunter
As your 9th lvl feat take Greater Manyshot
As your 10th lvl feat (Scout Bonus) take Improved Skirmish
Finish the rest of the build with more Ranger.

Indon
2007-02-01, 09:59 AM
Precision doesn't involve your foes defense, or catching him off guard. That's just a requirement for sneak attack.

Precision (as the name implies) requires hitting a specific spot for added effect. Sneak Attacks, Sudden Strikes, and Critical Hits are all precision based, so is Skirmish.

Wait, does that mean the second attack on a Manyshot couldn't crit?

Edit: Ah, just re-read the feat. It makes sense.