PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Theurge entry, Practiced Spellcaster?

Bloodgruve
2014-03-03, 12:03 PM
In my current game we've been switching around a lot. My DM has limited us to Core + Complete Arcane and Complete Adventurer+PHB2. I think he will open up the other Completes though on a case by case basis. I was originally building a Clawlock but since that relies on Dragon Mag content I think he'll want me to change.

I want to build Warlock1/Beguiler4/Eldritch Theurge 10/...

From my understanding Eldritch Blast progression is dependent on Warlock caster level.

1. Can I enter Eldritch Theurge and continue Eldritch Blast progression with Practiced Spellcaster feat?

2. Would Warlock 1 + PS feat qualify me for the '5th level arcane caster' prereq when I hit 5th level?

3. Would Practiced Spellcaster progress available invocation levels? Least>Lesser>Greater...

I'd also be using the Educated feat to get the knowledge prereq, which the DM would have to OK also but I think he would.

We're losing our Thief NPC at some point so I would want to take over with this build. I'm hoping that Able Learner is available also as I would need it past lvl 5. Basically want Beguiler with a reliable source of damage.

4. If I wanted to only dip Warlock is there other ways to run Beguiler and still increase Warlock caster level for Eldritch Blast?

Input is appreciated
Blood~

Kesnit
2014-03-03, 12:41 PM
I want to build Warlock1/Beguiler4/Eldritch Theurge 10/...

From my understanding Eldritch Blast progression is dependent on Warlock caster level.

Not quite. It's based on your effective Warlock level. (Warlock, plus any PrC that advances Warlock).

1. Can I enter Eldritch Theurge and continue Eldritch Blast progression with Practiced Spellcaster feat?

No, because you don't have +2d6 EB.

2. Would Warlock 1 + PS feat qualify me for the '5th level arcane caster' prereq when I hit 5th level?

That isn't a pre-req. The requirements are

Knowledge (arcana) 8
Knowledge (the planes) 8
Able to cast 2nd level arcane spells
Able to use least invocations
Eldritch Blast +2d6

3. Would Practiced Spellcaster progress available invocation levels? Least>Lesser>Greater...

No. PS only raises your caster level. "This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells."

Crake
2014-03-03, 01:04 PM
Not quite. It's based on your effective Warlock level. (Warlock, plus any PrC that advances Warlock).

No, because you don't have +2d6 EB.

That isn't a pre-req. The requirements are

Knowledge (arcana) 8
Knowledge (the planes) 8
Able to cast 2nd level arcane spells
Able to use least invocations
Eldritch Blast +2d6

No. PS only raises your caster level. "This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It increases your caster level only, which would help you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and other effects of your spells."

By raw, you're correct in this, however there was a post by rich baker (the guy who wrote complete arcane) on the wizards forums where he stated that PS advancing eldritch blast (and only eldritch blast) makes sense, even if it's not entirely rules legal.

Edit: I tried to find the post, but I think it was deleted in one of WotC's forum wipes

Bloodgruve
2014-03-03, 01:12 PM
By raw, you're correct in this, however there was a post by rich baker (the guy who wrote complete arcane) on the wizards forums where he stated that PS advancing eldritch blast (and only eldritch blast) makes sense, even if it's not entirely rules legal.

Edit: I tried to find the post, but I think it was deleted in one of WotC's forum wipes

That's where I read it from IIRC. But I guess this will be up to my DM.

2. Not sure where I pulled the 5th level Arcane Caster out of. Been doing a lot of flipping through books in the last couple days, must have gotten it mixed up with another I've been looking at.

3. I didn't thinks so but I wanted to confirm.

Thanks for the responses.

Blood~

Crake
2014-03-03, 01:20 PM
That's where I read it from IIRC. But I guess this will be up to my DM.

2. Not sure where I pulled the 5th level Arcane Caster out of. Been doing a lot of flipping through books in the last couple days, must have gotten it mixed up with another I've been looking at.

3. I didn't thinks so but I wanted to confirm.

Thanks for the responses.

Blood~

5th level arcane caster level could have been for mindbender, to get telepathy at 6, allowing you to pick up mindsight? But no, I don't believe spell-like abilities allow you to qualify for arcane caster level (fluff-debatable since warlocks etc), but if it just says "caster level" like it does for item crafting feats, then you'd be fine, since SLAs have a caster level

Bloodgruve
2014-03-03, 01:48 PM
5th level arcane caster level could have been for mindbender...

Yep, that's what I was looking at.

But now I'm concerned, you're either spying on me or that was a well informed guess. o.O

Blood~

Crake
2014-03-03, 02:01 PM
Yep, that's what I was looking at.

But now I'm concerned, you're either spying on me or that was a well informed guess. o.O

Blood~

Mindbender is quite an often cited 1 level dip for telepathy at no real loss, and is the only prc I'm aware of that has a caster level requirement instead of a spell level requirement