PDA

View Full Version : Runesmith [3.5 brainstorming]

Wargamer
2014-03-03, 12:41 PM
Okay, so this kind of span off from discussions about my Runecaster class. I got to thinking about the Dwarven Runesmiths from Warhammer and was wondering whether a class could be made out of them.

However, rather than dive headlong into posting up a class which likely won't be that good, I thought I'd just post up the core concepts, let you guys poke holes and then type it up nicely when feedback has sanded off the rough edges.

So, without further ado, the Runesmith's class concepts:

What's a Runesmith?
A Runesmith makes magic items. Yes, that's the entire concept - a guy who makes magic items. However, Runesmiths make a lot of magic items, and as they level up can make increasingly powerful and impressive gear.

The Rules of Runes:
Runes are picky things, and don't like being thrown about willy-nilly. As such, any Runic Item the Runesmith creates must obey the Rules of Runes. These are:

The Rule of Jealousy: No item may have more than three Runes inscribed on it, and only one of these may be a Master Rune - Runes like to feel special!

The Rule of Pride: A Runesmith cannot make more than one Runic Item with the same combination of Runes, nor may he copy a Runic combination used by another party member's Runic Item, even if she did not make said item.

The Rule of Loyalty: Runesmiths may only have a set number of "live" Runes at any given time. To apply more Runes, a Runesmith must either destroy a previously enchanted Runic Item, disenchant a Rune (requiring a specific ritual) or liberate a Rune (requiring a ritual that drains xp).

The Rule of Exclusion: Runes cannot be applied to any item that has existing enchantments from any source, including from other Runes - all Runes must be placed onto the item at the same time when the item is enchanted.

How Runes Work: Runes are divided into four categories: Novice, Lesser, Greater and Master. Typically, a specific Rune will scale in effect. For example, a Novice Fire Rune might grant a weapon +1D6 fire damage. A Lesser Fire Rune might grant +2D6, and so on.

Runes also specify what type of object they can be placed upon; weapons, ranged weapons, armour, etc. If two Runes have the same name (ie: a Rune of Fire for weapons and a Rune of Fire for armour) they are considered the same Rune for the purposes of the Rule of Pride.

Each time the Runesmith levels up she gains an increase to the number of Runes she can place upon items, in a similar way to how other "casters" gain additional spells. Runesmiths need to prepare their Runes ahead of time just like a Wizard (and have a 'spellbook' of Runes), but once a Rune is placed upon an object it does not need to be replenished - it remains live until it is destroyed or dispelled.

Master Runes are a special version of the Runes. These are intended as uber-powerful Runes that have the potential to utterly destroy their victims. At 20th level the Runesmith gets to invent their own Master Rune (requiring DM's approval).

Random thoughts for the class:
In no particular order, these are just some ideas I dabbled with for the class:

As long as a Runesmith does not take levels in any other class they gain Spell Resistance. If they take a level in another class they lose this Spell Resistance and can never again take levels in Runesmith.
One of the Novice Runes would be a "Rune of Binding", which allows you to place Runes onto an object even if it isn't a Masterwork Item. A related Rune idea is the "Rune of Masterwork", which makes an item Masterwork.

So, any thoughts on where to begin poking holes in the concept?

Amechra
2014-03-03, 01:12 PM
I'd suggest no on the restricted multiclassing; that is a very clumsy way to make people take more levels in your class.

Instead, focus on making the class cool enough that people will want to take levels in it.

Also... the Rune of Binding seems kinda superfluous next to the Rune of Masterwork; one does more than the other, after all.

Of the Rules, the Rule of Loyalty is really punitive (don't charge XP for a class feature. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.), and the Rule of Pride makes little sense (I get why you don't want duplicates in a group, but that Rule doesn't really make any sense, and gets rid of the main reason Runesmiths would get together; trade secrets!)

Actually, Rule of Pride stands out as something that would end up just being good old fashion not-fun in play if you didn't do it carefully. Oh, Steve found a really cool combo? No one else gets to use it. Wow, you guys are losers for not thinking of that combo first.

Seriously, with the Rule of Loyalty, no one is going to be making a party of copy-cats. Steve might come up with a neat "must-have" set of Runes that lets him go adventuring underwater; if the rest of the party wants to spend precious, precious active Runes on making that same set-up so that they can go adventuring with him (you know, as a party is wont to do), let 'em.

If it isn't broken on one guy, it probably isn't broken on a small group of people.

Wargamer
2014-03-03, 02:04 PM
I'd suggest no on the restricted multiclassing; that is a very clumsy way to make people take more levels in your class.

Instead, focus on making the class cool enough that people will want to take levels in it.
My concern was that I didn't want people dipping into Runesmith just to get an early +1 fire warhammer or similar.

Also... the Rune of Binding seems kinda superfluous next to the Rune of Masterwork; one does more than the other, after all.

Similar Runes help people make similar items. Plus, you might decide it's worth blowing a Rune on a set of Masterwork Thieves Tools, for example, whereas a Rune of Binding wouldn't help there.

Of the Rules, the Rule of Loyalty is really punitive (don't charge XP for a class feature. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.), and the Rule of Pride makes little sense (I get why you don't want duplicates in a group, but that Rule doesn't really make any sense, and gets rid of the main reason Runesmiths would get together; trade secrets!)

Actually, Rule of Pride stands out as something that would end up just being good old fashion not-fun in play if you didn't do it carefully. Oh, Steve found a really cool combo? No one else gets to use it. Wow, you guys are losers for not thinking of that combo first.

Seriously, with the Rule of Loyalty, no one is going to be making a party of copy-cats. Steve might come up with a neat "must-have" set of Runes that lets him go adventuring underwater; if the rest of the party wants to spend precious, precious active Runes on making that same set-up so that they can go adventuring with him (you know, as a party is wont to do), let 'em.

If it isn't broken on one guy, it probably isn't broken on a small group of people.
In theory that's true, but it's also intended to help stay true to the source material.

The rule is only meant to apply to party gear. If said combo is found but ian't being used by the party it's fair game to copy.

If all else fails, you can have four sets of Runes of Waterbreathing or whatever by being inventive. RoWB, RoWB + Masterwork, RoWB + Rune of Mithril, etc. Odds are your party will all want slightly different things from their gear anyway, so as long as the Runebook is extensive everything should work.

Ninjapaladin
2014-03-05, 04:21 PM
I am assuming that the class would have something to make them more "combat-able" than simply being able to make their own magical weapons. Would the fight as a lesser fighter type? I do like the idea of the class though!

Wargamer
2014-03-06, 03:19 PM
I am assuming that the class would have something to make them more "combat-able" than simply being able to make their own magical weapons. Would the fight as a lesser fighter type? I do like the idea of the class though!

I was thinking Cleric stats and gear options minimum, probably with more extensive weapon proficiency list.