PDA

View Full Version : A Furry Dracotaur?

Palanan
2014-03-03, 12:49 PM
Recently I came across a quasi-mino-centaurish thing (http://yinyuming.deviantart.com/gallery/#/art/Guardian-399306359?_sid=5bd7eff1), and I'd love to use it as one of the gladiators in my city campaign. I can see this being pitted against some poor slave fitted out as a "mounted knight," for the entertainment of the crowd.

But I have no idea what stats to use for something like this. Would a dracotaur be a close enough approximation? Or is there some other creature in the 3.5 monsterverse that would be a better fit?

Metahuman1
2014-03-03, 12:52 PM
That to me looks like a Half-Minotaur Half Oger Goliath with the Taric Template form Savage Species. That would be an utter Terror to fight.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-03, 12:53 PM
Half-minotaur wemic!

Rubik
2014-03-03, 01:04 PM
For ease of use, a bariaur (from the Planar Handbook); LA +1.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-03, 01:07 PM
The bottom portion's forelimbs are closer to those of a gorilla than anything else, I'd probably use a lion or similar with the Tauric Creature template to represent it mechanically. I'd use a Leopard or other medium size base animal, probably a Human or a Gold Dwarf as the base humanoid depending on what traits you want, and then throw on Half-Minotaur last.

That would get you 4 HD of Monstrous Humanoid, +4 LA, Str +18, Dex +6, Con +10, +5 natural armor, 50 ft. land speed, 20 ft. climb, a gore, 2 claws, pounce, 2 rakes, scent, darkvision, the other half-minotaur traits, and the base humanoid's traits.

Palanan
2014-03-03, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Plenty of options here already, although always open to more.

Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou
That would get you 4 HD of Monstrous Humanoid, +4 LA, Str +18, Dex +6, Con +10, +5 natural armor, 50 ft. land speed, 20 ft. climb, a gore, 2 claws, pounce, 2 rakes, scent, darkvision, the other half-minotaur traits, and the base humanoid's traits.

With all this, he'd be ruling the city, not working as a gladiator. :smalltongue:

Seriously, thanks for the notion--I may have to drop another villain in there. Your posts are always awesome, but they make me add new characters.

:smallbiggrin:

Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu
Half-minotaur wemic!

I don't know how I forgot the wemics.

Probably the same way I forgot which book has their stats.

:smallsigh:

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-03, 01:42 PM
Hmm. Monster of Faerun thingy should have them. Let me check. Yeah, that's the source for the 3.0 stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were reprinted in one of the regional 3.5 FR books (like Shining South or something).

They have 5HD of monstrous humanoid in the 3.0 version, and no listed LA (but I doubt that is still accurate).

Lol, yeah, tracked down a 3.5 update document for Monsters of Faerun; now they have a rather inexplicable +3 LA. Really, could WotC be any clearer with their core races bias? There is nothing in wemic that justifies +3. Maybe +1, since they have unbalanced stat adjustments.

*facepalm* Wizards of the Coast....

VoxRationis
2014-03-03, 02:12 PM
"'Dracotaur?'

'Yes, a horrid beast with the body of a dragon and the head of a minotaur... Which is really just a dragon with a bull's head.'" -JourneyQuest

Palanan
2014-03-03, 02:46 PM
Hmm. Monster of Faerun thingy should have them. Let me check. Yeah, that's the source for the 3.0 stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were reprinted in one of the regional 3.5 FR books (like Shining South or something).

Turns out they appear in Races of Faerūn, which I'm fairly sure is 3.0, but they're listed with both +3 LA and 5HD of monstrous humanoid.

(And a pretty shallow, cliched culture as well--noble savages in harmony with nature, yadda yadda.)

There is nothing in wemic that justifies +3. Maybe +1, since they have unbalanced stat adjustments.

Hmm. The RoF entry notes the +3 LA and claims that, "Due to his 5 racial Hit Dice, his natural attacks, and his racial skill bonus, a wemic has an effective character level of 8 plus his class levels."

I'm no expert on LA/ECL, but I'd say this isn't too convincing. Natural attacks? Racial skill bonus? A single +8 racial to Jump checks and a couple of 1d6 claw attacks don't sound very impressive.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-03, 03:03 PM
How about a Feral Goliath Dire Ape-Tuar? It is rules legal if you consider an ape to use it's forelimbs as legs to walk. Give it a huge halberd as a weapon.

All in all you get 6HD of monsterous humanoid, wield huge weapons, and get +18 or so to strength.

Palanan
2014-03-03, 05:30 PM
Well, even though I like the idea of using wemic stats, they seem to be a bit wonky, so I'll probably pass on them.

The bariaur is an interesting idea, although they're a little downsized from what I was aiming for; they're listed as Medium and I'm thinking the mino-centaur is Large. Is there an easy way to scale the bariaur up by one size category?

Rubik
2014-03-03, 05:40 PM
The bariaur is an interesting idea, although they're a little downsized from what I was aiming for; they're listed as Medium and I'm thinking the mino-centaur is Large. Is there an easy way to scale the bariaur up by one size category?Half-minotaur and half-ogre? Both are +1 LA and increase your size category, but apparently one of the templates (I forget which one) states that adding it to a Large creature means its LA turns to 0.

Phelix-Mu
2014-03-03, 05:40 PM
Half-minotaur lamia? Speaking of which...are lamia stats in the MM? Lol, my editions are all getting mashed together in my brain.

Palanan
2014-03-03, 05:52 PM
Yup, the lamia is on p. 165 of the first Monster Manual.

So, half-minotaur...is that the one from Savage Species? And was that ever updated to 3.5?