PDA

View Full Version : Best two handed weapon

Darklion880
2014-03-03, 01:09 PM
As title says right now I'm thinking falchion 2d4 and 18-20 crit isn't bad.
Any opinions appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2014-03-03, 01:10 PM
Base damage isn't terribly important. If we're including exotics, then the added reach of the spiked chain makes it more valuable.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-03, 01:14 PM
Executioner's mace from Dungeon something, is a beast 2d6 20/x3 martial, can deal either Slashing and piercing or bludgeoning and piercing, looks wickedly cool too!
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/162600/Kyuss02.jpg

Spiked chains are pretty high up there too mainly for being reach weapons you can still attack adjacent enemies with.

Flickerdart
2014-03-03, 01:15 PM
Is that a mace with an axe attached to it? Why does this exist?

eggynack
2014-03-03, 01:16 PM
Guisarme is one of the best. With reach, tripping, and its nature as a martial weapon, it makes for an efficient replacement for a spiked chain when you lack a feat to spare on proficiency, especially when you combine it with armor spikes.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-03, 01:16 PM
So you can have a weapon that can be affected with greater mighty wallop and used in conjunction with whirling blade.

Fax Celestis
2014-03-03, 01:19 PM
Big fan of the unerrata'd Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer. 1d12, 19-20/x4.

sumkidy
2014-03-03, 01:20 PM
The Minotaur Greathammer from Monster Manual IV is quite fearsome --> 1d12, 19-20 Crit, with X4 damage.

The Goliath's Greathammer from Races of Stone is also another cool one --> Large, 3d6 damage, X4 Crit (Whatever people say, this is NOT the errata version of the previous weapon).

I personally like the Scythe if you're going for core only, especially if you couple it with the Short Haft Feat. If work it right (keen, feats, etc), you can really rack up the amount of damage you get.

On a personal note though, the most powerful weapon I ever made was a Large, 'Gold-ified' (Magic of Faerun) Greatsword. It did 3d8 damage, Crit 17-20, with the normal X2 modifier. Of course, to wield it required some work with feats!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-03, 01:23 PM
Scythes aren't reach weapons so you don't need short haft.

Immabozo
2014-03-03, 01:24 PM
Base damage isn't terribly important. If we're including exotics, then the added reach of the spiked chain makes it more valuable.

With the existence of the skilled enchantment, exotic doesn't even require a feat.

But the Minotaur Greathammer is a great hammer (ba dum bum tchhhhh) 2D6, if I recall correctly, and crit 19-20 x4. Just throw on something to double that range, 17-20 x4. Wow. A special material, I believe can either double the crit range again or add another multiplier (Although I may be mistaken)

Brookshw
2014-03-03, 01:30 PM
I'm surprised the Jovar hasn't been mentioned.

Darrin
2014-03-03, 01:37 PM
I'm surprised the Jovar hasn't been mentioned.

Needs more Kaorti resin.

Duom from Dragon Compendium may be better than the spiked chain. Reach, can attack adjacent, and it's martial instead of exotic.

shylocke
2014-03-03, 01:39 PM
I know a lot of people are gonna hate on this, but I like the scythe

Rubik
2014-03-03, 01:39 PM
Most weapons without reach probably shouldn't be on this list, which narrows things down considerably. Likewise, almost anything that needs a feat to wield for a martial character shouldn't be, either, with a few exceptions (and no, spiked chains aren't it; they don't give enough for a feat, and their effects can be duplicated reasonably well with a polearm and a gauntlet).

I'd say that guisarmes are among the best, since they're reasonably powerful 2-handed reach weapons that can be used to trip and disarm easily enough.

Harpoons are also extremely versatile (even for an exotic weapon), given that they inflict a fairly nasty status effect, can be used up close and as a ranged weapon, and are attached to the wielder by a rope, which means being disarmed really isn't too much of a concern. Also, it frequently deals double damage on a hit, crits notwithstanding.

Non-spiked gauntlets can be made as two-handed weapons for no additional cost, according to Savage Species (but only when masterwork), and since they're classified as unarmed strikes, anything that boosts the unarmed strike (monk levels, monk's belt, necklace of natural weapons, etc) can enhance them to ludicrous levels pre-epic.

amalcon
2014-03-03, 01:54 PM
The Guisarme is the best two-handed weapon, as it can effectively trip at reach. It's better than the Spiked Chain for this purpose because it doesn't cost a feat, and the failure to threaten adjacent enemies isn't a big problem.

Honorable Mention: Longspear, because there's a cheap MIC enchantment that lets you turn it into whichever kind of spear is appropriate to the situation.

Honorable Mention #2: Quarterstaff. While by itself this is a pretty sad weapon, there are lots of interesting things to do if you're rich due to its nature as a double weapon. Use one end only, and put utility enchantments like Eager on the other end.

shylocke
2014-03-03, 01:55 PM
The Guisarme is the best two-handed weapon, as it can effectively trip at reach. It's better than the Spiked Chain for this purpose because it doesn't cost a feat, and the failure to threaten adjacent enemies isn't a big problem.

Honorable Mention: Longspear, because there's a cheap MIC enchantment that lets you turn it into whichever kind of spear is appropriate to the situation.

Honorable Mention #2: Quarterstaff. While by itself this is a pretty sad weapon, there are lots of interesting things to do if you're rich due to its nature as a double weapon. Use one end only, and put utility enchantments like Eager on the other end.

There is also a rule somewhere that if you use a quarterstaff one handed it is a reach weapon.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-03-03, 01:58 PM
Exotic: Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Falchion, 2d4 base, 18-20/x4 crit.
Exotic, more reliably obtainable: Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer, MM4, 1d12 base, 19-20/x4 crit.

Martial: Glaive, because reach is good. Wear Armor Spikes and you'll still threaten adjacent squares.
Martial, utility: Elvencraft (Composite) Longbow, can be used as a bow or quarterstaff, can have three wand chambers. You can put passive weapon enchantments (Eager, Warning, Parrying, Illithidwrought, Defending) on the offhand portion of the quarterstaff without affecting the other two weapon portions. You can even make it a magical staff that holds charges of spells and/or a Runestaff (MIC p224) in addition to being three weapons.

Simple: Probably a Longspear for reach, and wear a Spiked Gauntlet to threaten adjacent squares.

eggynack
2014-03-03, 02:08 PM
Martial: Glaive, because reach is good. Wear Armor Spikes and you'll still threaten adjacent squares.
I don't really see why a glaive would be better than a guisarme. The guisarme gets .5 less damage on average, costs 1 GP more, weighs two more pounds, and in return it grants access to tripping, which is one of the more powerful combat maneuvers in the game. Seems like a good trade to me.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-03, 02:10 PM
For the best non-reach weapon, I'ma go with the falchion. Base damage dice don't really matter past first level, but that increased critical range is very nice-- Keen Falchion + Leap Attack, anyone?

Fax Celestis
2014-03-03, 02:35 PM

Don't forget that spell staves and runestaves can be enchanted and wielded as quarterstaves, empowering things like Eilservs School and Channel Charge shenanigans.

Theomniadept
2014-03-03, 03:06 PM
If you're a dwarf then you can trade out your proficiency with the useless Urgrosh for the Dwarven Warpike. 2d6 damage like a greatsword, reach, can be used for tripping, can be set against a charge, triple critical damage, and slashing or piercing damage. A lot of people on these boards overlook that beauty.

Flickerdart
2014-03-03, 04:08 PM
Hey, the Urgosh isn't useless! It tells everybody "hey I'm awful at combat, ignore me!" and when they do, that's when you blast them with a black tentacles because you were a wizard all along.

Theomniadept
2014-03-03, 04:13 PM
Hey, the Urgosh isn't useless! It tells everybody "hey I'm awful at combat, ignore me!" and when they do, that's when you blast them with a black tentacles because you were a wizard all along.
I forgot about that. I would stand corrected, but you don't need a proficiency to hold an urgrosh.

TuggyNE
2014-03-03, 08:31 PM
MWP damage: greatsword if you have less than 40 static bonus damage or if fighting crit-immune enemies, falchion otherwise
MWP BFC/general: guisarme
EWP damage: Probably either greathorn minotaur greathammer or something with Kaorti resin and a large crit range
EWP general: spiked chain
Stupidly broken: Manyfang dagger

PraxisVetli
2014-03-03, 09:16 PM
So you can have a weapon that can be affected with greater mighty wallop and used in conjunction with whirling blade.

Owwww.
Plus, it looks freakin wicked.
(Especially flying through the air all Wallop-y)
Wonder if I can get my DM to approve it?

Captnq
2014-03-03, 10:37 PM
Exotic: Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Falchion, 2d4 base, 18-20/x4 crit.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that doesn't work. It turns the weapon into a x4, not 18-20/x4.

There is only one critical attribute on a weapon. There isn't Critical Range and Critical multiplies. There is only Critical. You replace it with x4, not add x4.And if you replace it with x4, you also replace the critical range. Yes, the critical is further broken down for other purposes, but when it comes to a base Weapon, there is only critical. Change the multipler without stating the critical range remains unchanged, it replaces both.

Of course, everyone likes to ignore this and argue that it works because it's "so cool.", but the RAI is clear, and the RAW is questionable.To prove my point, I challenge anyone to find a base weapon where the critical range and multiple are listed under different attributes. I would love to see it as it would make for an interesting case to study.

Sir Chuckles
2014-03-03, 10:52 PM
It may not be strictly the best, but I love the Halberd. Purely for the fact that you can go Haft Strike Spinning Halberd for some fun explanations of your turns. Plus, the Haft Strike is blunt, so it can be Greater Mighty Wallop'd.

Irk
2014-03-03, 11:26 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but that doesn't work. It turns the weapon into a x4, not 18-20/x4.

There is only one critical attribute on a weapon. There isn't Critical Range and Critical multiplies. There is only Critical. You replace it with x4, not add x4.And if you replace it with x4, you also replace the critical range. Yes, the critical is further broken down for other purposes, but when it comes to a base Weapon, there is only critical. Change the multipler without stating the critical range remains unchanged, it replaces both.

Of course, everyone likes to ignore this and argue that it works because it's "so cool.", but the RAI is clear, and the RAW is questionable.To prove my point, I challenge anyone to find a base weapon where the critical range and multiple are listed under different attributes. I would love to see it as it would make for an interesting case to study.
Actually, it says "critical multiple of x4" (not multiplier, multiple). So yeah, it does just modify that portion of the critical section.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-03-03, 11:31 PM
It depends what you want to do.

Spiked Chain is overall the champ, if you care about anything at all besides sheer damage per hit or critting.

Lance is the best weapon ever if mounted, and totally worth 2Hing even though you don't have to, to get power attack damage multiplied by spirited charge and lance, too.

Guisarme is best "no cost" reach option, tripping just as well as the spiked chain.

Dragonchain from...red hand of doom? has reach and can grapple people but actually does damage unlike the mancatcher.

The pre-errata Talenta Sharrash from Eberron is a pretty cool weapon. It's a scythe with reach and an awesome 19-20/x4 crit!

My personal favorite overlooked 2H weapon is the Heavy Flail. A very versatile weapon and nice change of pace from blades, sticks, and blades on sticks.

If you're a dwarf then you can trade out your proficiency with the useless Urgrosh for the Dwarven Warpike. 2d6 damage like a greatsword, reach, can be used for tripping, can be set against a charge, triple critical damage, and slashing or piercing damage. A lot of people on these boards overlook that beauty.

Ah, yes. I've done exactly that on several occasions. Lovely swap if you can get away with it!

Vhaidara
2014-03-03, 11:37 PM
I'm going to throw in the Nerra's Shard weapons (longsword and dagger). They require EWP, but for a proficient weilder, an unenchanted shard weapon is +2 and Wounding.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-03-03, 11:40 PM
I'm going to throw in the Nerra's Shard weapons (longsword and dagger). They require EWP, but for a proficient weilder, an unenchanted shard weapon is +2 and Wounding.

Source?789

Vhaidara
2014-03-03, 11:50 PM
Fiend Folio, in the Nerra entry.

Stoneback
2014-03-04, 04:27 AM
Needs more Kaorti resin.

Duom from Dragon Compendium may be better than the spiked chain. Reach, can attack adjacent, and it's martial instead of exotic.

Duom. Duom for the win. Excellent replacement for your Polearm + spiked gauntlet.

Gadora
2014-03-04, 04:42 AM
I rather like the chain lash, from Savage Species. It's a chain with weights on the end and functions pretty much like a spiked chain that deals bludgeoning damage, with the addition that you can give up its reach to use it as a double weapon. This maybe makes it my more my favorite double weapon, I suppose, as it's the only finessable one I know of, with the additional option to use it with spiked chain reach.

Still, "like the spiked chain, but makes sense" would be enough to qualify it in my book. :smalltongue: