PDA

View Full Version : Shamanistic Vestiges?

Ravens_cry
2014-03-03, 02:13 PM
I picked up Tome of Magic at a second hand book store because . . .why not? I really like the fluff of the binder class, and I was thinking of maybe adding it to my Stone Age campaign idea because it oozes shamanistic flavour out the yin yang. However, the vestiges in the book, as cool and eerie as they are, don't really fit that idea. I am thinking more animal and nature spirits. I am fine with good homebrew that can come with a personal recommendation of play. I could make my own, but I am a lazy cuss. Anyone got anything?

Coidzor
2014-03-03, 02:19 PM
Definitely an interesting idea, but I'm not aware of anything of that nature, unfortunately.

Might be able to crib some of the effects Totemists provide and alter them to fit with the framework of the Binder as a partial shortcut if you do end up having to brew 'em up yourself.

Psyren
2014-03-03, 02:23 PM
This is purely a fluff issue, so refluff like crazy. Any of the vestiges' legends can be made more tribal/primitive without changing their abilities at all.

Were there any specific vestiges you were interested in that have a fluff mismatch? That could help us come up with new legends that fit.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-03, 02:43 PM
A lot of them, but in particular the setting specific onse, like the thief who stole his soul from the god of thieves, as well as the more 'civilized' ones, like the gnome architect. Still going through the book.

Psyren
2014-03-03, 03:18 PM
Animal spirits work well - you could probably find one to replace every vestige in the book. To use your two examples for instance:

1) Stealing from the gods is as tribal as it gets, almost every aboriginal mythology has a story like that. Instead of Andromalius being a servant of Olidammara, you can change him to be a trickster animal spirit like Raven or Monkey, who sought to pull the greatest prank of all time.

2) For Halphax, all you need is a particularly industrial or constructive animal. Make him an Ant, or Termite, or a Beaver. Being an insect also works well with his sign, as you would grow a carapace or shell instead of having stony skin.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-03, 04:09 PM
Well, the first one could certainly work. Thanks.

Vaz
2014-03-04, 08:45 AM
Malphas is fairly Shamanistic; it has a slightly druidic flavour, and scouting with the Bird is fairly obvious.

Eldan
2014-03-04, 09:36 AM
THe vestiges work quite fine as-is, I think... just rewrite the fluff. That said, there's plenty more.

Morph Bark, as is his thing, compiled a handy, very long list here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16203724#post16203724)

I've used Binders in a lot of roles. It works well for Voodoo and shamans, obviously. I've used it for priests who swore special oaths to their gods for power (the oath being the vestige's influence).

Ravens_cry
2014-03-04, 09:38 AM
All right, thank you.:smallsmile: I'll look over those.