PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Sports//Sports with Fantasy Creatures

Mr. Mask
2014-03-03, 03:37 PM
Here's a fun one. In fantasy worlds you get a variety of sapient creatures. Supposing they get friendly enough, how would they play sports together, and what kinds of sports would they play?

We can go two ways with this. One is work out entirely new sports. Or, which I consider more fun, we take popular real world sports, and work out how you can put an ogre in it (making some modifications).

To start off: Boxing. A werewold wants to join the IBF. However, he has teeth, claws, and a strong hit to the nose will kill him (presuming a dog-like head).

Slipperychicken
2014-03-03, 04:09 PM
I assumed that sufficiently-different varieties would have their own leagues, kind of like weight categories today. For example, trolls and halflings would have separate categories. A particularly awesome halfling might decide to box a troll, but that would not be expected outside of truly exceptional competitions. Otherwise, as one might expect, each sport would be dominated by whichever race had a natural advantage.

As for natural weapons, I imagine that each event would have its own rules on the matter: Some might forbid biting and clawing for fairness (or else require contestants to somehow blunt their claws or accept some kind of cover or restraint) kind of like how boxers are generally forbidden from kicking, while others would permit all moves. Naturally, these rules would typically be codified and made known far in advance of the event.

The werewolf would probably need to have special equipment (i.e. helmet, armor, boxing gloves) commissioned to accommodate his hybrid form. If lycanthrope is contagious in that universe, he might be required to wear a muzzle, or he might be automatically disqualified due to the risk of infection. Even if he was disqualified, he might still be able to enter private competitions and fight in sketchy underground rings.

AMFV
2014-03-03, 04:14 PM
This sounds very similar to Blood Bowl. I'd love to see that sort of take on other sports. The games would have more fatalities though, and certain species would have certain advantages.

Rhynn
2014-03-03, 04:52 PM
Trollball! (http://rpgreview.net/mob/liveactiontrollball.htm)

Always bet on the Zorak Zorani.

nyjastul69
2014-03-03, 06:20 PM
Ogre hockey! (http://www.google.com/search?q=ogre+hockey+player+d20+modern&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hwwVU_GxCeWsyAHgzYDgDA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=598&bih=287&dpr=1.5#biv=i%7C20%3Bd%7CCrOUUnmlt7VR8M%3A)

Mr. Mask
2014-03-03, 07:17 PM
Chicken: Good post. You covered all the points which came to mind.

A Mind Forever Voyaging: Blood Bowl with boxing and other sports sounds like a lot of fun. Another take on fantasy football could also be fun.

AMFV
2014-03-03, 07:21 PM
Chicken: Good post. You covered all the points which came to mind.

A Mind Forever Voyaging: Blood Bowl with boxing and other sports sounds like a lot of fun. Another take on fantasy football could also be fun.

Baseball is my favorite, personally... what system do you think you would use as the basis for this? I don't think it exists as is, but it's something I'd love to work out.

Mr. Mask
2014-03-03, 07:27 PM
Best made with its own system. Whether it's D20 or whichever depending on how you want to resolve things.

A fantasy baseball game would be a lot of fun. It mightn't have the fatalities of blood bowl, but there is room for some violence. The sport is also diverse enough in nature that a variety of player types could be useful.

AMFV
2014-03-03, 07:38 PM
Best made with its own system. Whether it's D20 or whichever depending on how you want to resolve things.

A fantasy baseball game would be a lot of fun. It mightn't have the fatalities of blood bowl, but there is room for some violence. The sport is also diverse enough in nature that a variety of player types could be useful.

There'd be fatalities, rushing the mound, all-out brawls, hell baseball had those until about the 90s, you could just reinclude those.

Mr. Mask
2014-03-03, 07:55 PM
I figured the game of baseball stopped at that point? If not, you could have it as a strategy where starting a fight and injuring some of their key players would put you in a good position when the game started again.

AMFV
2014-03-03, 08:00 PM
I figured the game of baseball stopped at that point? If not, you could have it as a strategy where starting a fight and injuring some of their key players would put you in a good position when the game started again.

Well an all-out brawl is the end of the match, but rushing the mound isn't.

Mr. Mask
2014-03-03, 08:11 PM
Yeah, charging the mound is a good one.

After I finish the current RPG, I should consider working on a baseball one. I'm surprised no one has made that one, even though DnD has been remade a few dozen times.

AMFV
2014-03-03, 08:14 PM
Yeah, charging the mound is a good one.

After I finish the current RPG, I should consider working on a baseball one. I'm surprised no one has made that one, even though DnD has been remade a few dozen times.

We'd probably have to do something about the flying characters though.

Mr. Mask
2014-03-03, 08:22 PM
Either A) Don't have them. Or B) They're restricted to the same path a usual batter is, and if they cross a base occupied by an opposing person with the ball they're out. The difficulty of takeoff and of the sudden landing on a base may remove the advantages.

AMFV
2014-03-03, 08:24 PM
Either A) Don't have them. Or B) They're restricted to the same path a usual batter is, and if they cross a base occupied by an opposing person with the ball they're out. The difficulty of takeoff and of the sudden landing on a base may remove the advantages.

It's not batting they'd cause problems for, but rather the outfield.

Edit: We might want to move this to a separate thread.

Mr. Mask
2014-03-03, 08:52 PM
Done: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334852

mucat
2014-03-04, 08:54 AM
In our current Steampunk campaign, the GM created d20 rules for überball, the national sport of the stern and militaristic Kriegerian Empire.

(Actually, the system he created is for the simplified version of überball played outside the Empire, which vexes my ex-Imperial Officer PC endlessly.)

We haven't seen many non-humans play, since the setting contains no no-human sapients (that we know of.) However, a professor who had been reanimated as a super-strong Frankenstein-style zombie did participate in one match, and seemed to enjoy it. Presumably, his opponents all recuperated eventually...

Mr. Mask
2014-03-04, 09:34 AM
That sounds like it was a really fun session.

Jay R
2014-03-04, 01:17 PM
Here are the rules (http://www.elfball.org/rules/) and miniatures (http://www.elfball.org/teams/), available for sale here (http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=impactgames).

Mr. Mask
2014-03-05, 12:27 PM
This is pretty neat. Reminds me a lot of Blood Bowl.