PDA

View Full Version : Stylish Spell

Time Blossom
2014-03-03, 04:59 PM
So I was thinking about Nextwave earlier this week, and how the Mindless Ones came across as a very strange breed of Summon Monster, and it struck me that this needed to be a Metamagic Feat. Thus, this, which is naturally open to suggested alterations:

Stylish Spell (Metamagic)
Prerequisites: Caster level 3rd, 5+ ranks in Perform

Benefit: A stylish spell may have its appearance, sound and other cosmetic elements altered to suit its caster's whims. Such alterations are not set, but chosen at the time of casting. These alterations cause no change to the mechanical effects of the spell, save for the following:

Upon successful completion of a Stylish spell, the caster may select one intelligent creature who witnessed the spell's effects. The caster may immediately make either a Diplomacy or Intimidate check against that creature, with a circumstance bonus equal to the unmodified level of the spell.

Level Increase: +1 (a Stylish Spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level)

~~~~~

...Okay, so maybe I just want to shoot baddies with a fireball wearing sunglasses.

Amphetryon
2014-03-03, 06:00 PM
You might consider looking up the extant Feat "Spell Thematics."

Time Blossom
2014-03-03, 09:01 PM
I think they're appropriately different, but thanks for the tip regardless! I was unaware of that feat, and will be sure to roll with it the next time I am playing legit DnD. :smallbiggrin:

HammeredWharf
2014-03-04, 04:07 PM
That's pretty broken with RAW diplomacy. It allows you to make a Diplomacy check as a swift action... with bonuses. I'd alter it to be anti-Knowledge Devotion based on Perform or something similar or just remove the check altogether.

nedz
2014-03-04, 04:23 PM
Another Exploit:
It's possible, using one of several feats or class features, to turn an Intimidate check into causing fear. Cast a Stylish Spell which produces the Shaken condition, add in an Intimidate check for another Shaken and you have them Frightened.

Time Blossom
2014-03-09, 01:44 AM
Fair points! That said, I am generally in the "game balance is a myth so just relax and have fun" camp, but how about the following revised effect:

After you cast a stylish spell, your next Intimidate or Diplomacy check against an intelligent creature who witnessed the spell gains a circumstance bonus equal to the spell's unmodified level.

Doesn't break the action economy, and now only adds a bit of flavor and some very modest bonuses. I think this version is actually pretty danged weak, but eh. You can still fire magic missiles shaped like like hamburgers, and I am okay with that. :smallbiggrin: