PDA

View Full Version : What are some good feats and other some such for an Iaijutsu Focus Factotum?

RPGaddict28
2014-03-03, 05:54 PM
This is a 6th level build and so far, I have Skill Focus: Iaijutsu Focus, and Exotic Weapon Prof. for Gnomish Quickrazor. I have three(I know this is one more than norm. but I'm using a houserule)feats left, and the only thing I can think would be TWF, but I don't actually know whats good for a build like this.

Also, to clarify, I am the DM, so I can make special exceptions, but would prefer not.

gawwy
2014-03-03, 08:34 PM
for iaijutsu focus to work the target has to be flatfooted. how are you achieving this?

Skevvix
2014-03-03, 08:47 PM
I would look through this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8741) for some helpful hints. Gives feats, skill tricks, class features... anything you need to make your opponent flat-footed.

Fax Celestis
2014-03-03, 08:48 PM
Are you planning on staying in Factotum? Because if not, let me point your gaze at Aerenal Focus.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-03, 08:54 PM
I don't actually know whats good for a build like this.

Put all remaining feats into Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606).

Basically, each iteration gives N+1 additional inspiration points, where "N" is the number of times you've already taken the feat. The first gives 1, the second gives 2, and the third gives 3. Taking it 3 times in a row nets you a total of (1+2+3 = 6) inspiration points. You can take it as many times as your intelligence modifier.

RPGaddict28
2014-03-03, 08:57 PM
for iaijutsu focus to work the target has to be flatfooted. how are you achieving this?

Sneak up on the target, stab him, use the tumble skill trick to get him again, then use my 1 spell to summon a monster for flank.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-03, 09:00 PM
Sneak up on the target, stab him, use the tumble skill trick to get him again, then use my 1 spell to summon a monster for flank.

You can also cast grease to flat-foot the target (characters are considered flat-footed while balancing) and score more IF attacks that way. This also has an action advantage since Grease only costs a standard action, as opposed to SM1's 1 Round cast time.

RPGaddict28
2014-03-03, 09:04 PM
You can also cast grease to flat-foot the target (characters are considered flat-footed while balancing) and score more IF attacks that way. This also has an action advantage since Grease only costs a standard action, as opposed to SM1's 1 Round cast time.

Totally forgot about that, I'm switching my spells. Also, the skill trick that gives me a free AoO with a concealed weapon and have them flatfooted, but it cost me quick draw. Is it worth it?

Skevvix
2014-03-03, 09:06 PM

A creature being flanked is not Flat-footed, and IF requires FF. As the link I posted indicates, there is only one spell that directly causes the target to become FF. Others, such as invis and grease, make them flatfooted because of X condition. Also note that grease only makes them flat-footed if they have fewer than 5 ranks of balance.

Really, the most effective way to build an IF Factotum, that I have found, is an AoO robilar's gambit/ mercurial strike combo.

Edit: And for Font of Inspiration... take it 3 times, no more, no less. You will be very feat starved as it is.

Rubik
2014-03-03, 09:14 PM
Hidden Talent is a good one, especially if you choose Psionic Minor Creation as your power known.

Shape Soulmeld is excellent, especially if you choose a soulmeld you'll use often. (I like Phase Cloak more than any of the others, if I can manage to bind it to my shoulders slot.)

Wild Cohort (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) is great to have for a combat companion and/or (flying) mount and/or scouting buddy.

How about Martial Study and Martial Stance? Pick the maneuvers that are always useful, such as the save replacers, White Raven Tactics, or Iron Heart Surge. They're equally useful at all levels, and you don't have to worry about them ever scaling into uselessness.

And don't forget the Devotion feats, especially if you have Turn Undead. Animal Devotion, Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, and Law Devotion are the best ones.

bekeleven
2014-03-03, 10:05 PM
How about everything to int?

You probably have decent dex so you don't need the feat for int to ref saves. (Insightful Reflexes)

You might want the feat for int to will saves. (Keen Intellect)

Int to HP is always nice. (Faerie Mysteries Initiate)

How about Int to AC? (Kung Fu Genius with a Monk's Belt)

Knowledge Devotion is always good on a factotum. Darkstalker if you actually want to get 90% of the monster manual flat-footed. Able Learner if you plan on entering chameleon.

Fax Celestis
2014-03-04, 09:08 AM
You want the distract assailant spell from Spell Compendium. Target must Will or be flat-footed for 1 rd, swift action cast. Stick it in a wand, put the wand in your weapon's wand chamber, then mail it to yourself and smash it with a hammer.

Slipperychicken
2014-03-04, 09:31 AM
You want the distract assailant spell from Spell Compendium. Target must Will or be flat-footed for 1 rd, swift action cast. Stick it in a wand, put the wand in your weapon's wand chamber, then mail it to yourself and smash it with a hammer.

Grease doesn't give a save against flat-footed, and lasts one round/level.

Also, you can do the grease thing with marbles (A&EG). They're cheap and force balance checks, which means flat-footedness.

Skevvix
2014-03-04, 09:38 AM
Grease doesn't give a save against flat-footed, and lasts one round/level.

Also, you can do the grease thing with marbles (A&EG). They're cheap and force balance checks, which means flat-footedness.

Forcing a balance check doesn't work against all enemies though, all they need is 5 ranks and they aren't flat-footed while balancing. Will or be FF is a better investment as it can be attacked the same round, unlike grease and similar effects. You can use a standard action to get multiple rounds of FF, but only if they are dumb enough to not move, and a prone character is no longer balancing and thus would not be FF either.

Rebel7284
2014-03-04, 10:06 AM
Edit: And for Font of Inspiration... take it 3 times, no more, no less. You will be very feat starved as it is.

I disagree... the feat scales super well and the factotum can always use more inspiration points. I can totally see a build be VERY effective while taking FOI 4 or even 5 times.

IIzak
2014-03-04, 10:41 AM
Take Imperious Command from Drow of the Underdark, combine with the Never Outnumbered skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. Your Intimidate should be through the roof compared to others by level 6, so walk into combat, intimidate everyone with line of sight within 10 ft, then they all cower for the round, then go to town.

Or just take improved feint. As a move action, deny somebody their dex bonus (A.K.A. Flat footed)

Fax Celestis
2014-03-04, 10:49 AM
Or just take improved feint. As a move action, deny somebody their dex bonus (A.K.A. Flat footed)

No no no no no no no no no no.

Flat-footed is a specific condition. While it does include being denied your Dex bonus, it does a little more than that:

Flat-Footed
A character who has not yet acted during a combat is flat-footed, not yet reacting normally to the situation. A flat-footed character loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.

You can be denied your Dex bonus to AC without being rendered flat-footed, and as such you will still be able to make attacks of opportunity.

For instance, the armor lock spell denies its target their Dex bonus to AC (in addition to a few other effects). However, they are not flat-footed and are therefore ineligible for iaijutsu strikes and can still make attacks of opportunity, despite being Sneak Attackable. This is why Sudden Strike is such garbage.

IIzak
2014-03-04, 10:52 AM
Ahhh you're right, I forgot about that.

Deadkitten
2014-03-04, 02:03 PM

Putting it into a wand makes it a DC 11 will save (since its a first level spell), that is not even worth the effort of using.

Fax Celestis
2014-03-04, 02:18 PM
Putting it into a wand makes it a DC 11 will save (since its a first level spell), that is not even worth the effort of using.

There are ways to pump that DC.

Pay the crafter more money to make it a Heightened Spell.
Reckless Wand Wielder feat.
Wand Mastery feat.
Cannith Wand Adept prestige class.
Metamagic Spell Trigger feat with Heighten Spell.

Deadkitten
2014-03-04, 08:52 PM
There are ways to pump that DC.

Pay the crafter more money to make it a Heightened Spell.
Reckless Wand Wielder feat.
Wand Mastery feat.
Cannith Wand Adept prestige class.
Metamagic Spell Trigger feat with Heighten Spell.

Reckless wand wielder would have no affect on the spell.

Wand mastery requires craft wand which is useless since a factotum does not cast spells.

Canith wand adept requires three feats to get into. Granted those are feats you are taking anyways if you have wand mastery but at that level of investment into wands, just play an artificer.

You are looking at a DC 21 will save at 10th level at the earliest which a bad will save class (such as a fighter), will have a +5 from base, +1 from a 12 wisdom, and lets say a +4 cloak of resistance for a total of...+10. So it succeeds on a 11, which is hardly worth the investment done for that one spell. That's reasonable at level ten.

And that what you are up against for spending 21,000 gp, half your wealth by level, on a heightened spell wand, three feats that could have been used for font of Inspiration (with favored in house or least dragonmark of making being feat tax), and 3 class levels in wand adept to do.

A factotum is better off taking the martial maneuver feat for sapphire nightmare blade. Or hell, just using one of his Arcane dilettante uses for the heroics spell. You are better off spending those three levels of canith wand adept on warblade instead. You will be able to get more use out of it.

In the end, it is not worth the investment to only succeed 50% of the time.