PDA

View Full Version : City of Dragons [Epic Campaign]

atemu1234
2014-03-03, 06:30 PM
I have had an idea for a campaign for a while in a city I made for my campaign setting. It involves that in the ancient past an ancient dwarven city was overrun by an army of chromatic dragons, led by a great wyrm black dragon named Necrosis, who is/was a necromancer. Now, several thousand years later, the dragon is still alive, and still rules the city. His army of dragons, half-dragons and draconic creatures remains, and he is now a greatly advanced dragon (CR 60) and the city also pretty much remains overrun by chromatic dragons of all kinds. His breeding programs have created a great many unusual types of dragons (for the most part half-other-type-of-chromatic-dragons, but also other inherited templates). Any ideas for the design? I'm looking at a CR 50-ish campaign.

dascarletm
2014-03-03, 06:36 PM
I have had an idea for a campaign for a while in a city I made for my campaign setting. It involves that in the ancient past an ancient dwarven city was overrun by an army of chromatic dragons, led by a great wyrm black dragon named Necrosis, who is/was a necromancer. Now, several thousand years later, the dragon is still alive, and still rules the city. His army of dragons, half-dragons and draconic creatures remains, and he is now a greatly advanced dragon (CR 60) and the city also pretty much remains overrun by chromatic dragons of all kinds. His breeding programs have created a great many unusual types of dragons (for the most part half-other-type-of-chromatic-dragons, but also other inherited templates). Any ideas for the design? I'm looking at a CR 50-ish campaign.

Since he is a necromancer, PCs could be lured by reports of undead dwarves attacking from what was thought to be a lost dwarven city. Advanced High level undead can be used.

Elycium
2014-03-03, 06:55 PM
CR60? Donīt you think that is little bit too high? Asmodeus is the king of hell and he is CR 32...

dascarletm
2014-03-03, 06:58 PM
CR60? Donīt you think that is little bit too high? Asmodeus is the king of hell and he is CR 32...

That's just his avatar. I think it said in some book somewhere that Deities should be bumped up in power level in high leveled campaigns.

Elycium
2014-03-03, 07:05 PM
That's just his avatar. I think it said in some book somewhere that Deities should be bumped up in power level in high leveled campaigns.

It still too much. Hell, not even Larloch is that high.

atemu1234
2014-03-03, 08:04 PM
I have a very high epic level set of players. Though there is a large gap in levels between highest and lowest (60th-80th) they are still massively overleveled. To give them a decent challenge, I once set them against a hundreth level lich. I made an interesting discovery, in fact- after about level 40, the increases mean less and less.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 08:14 PM
It still too much. Hell, not even Larloch is that high.

Larloch is not a Dragon. If Larloch were also a Dragon I'm sure he'd be up there too.

Don't worry, I'm sure Larloch will be just as epic someday.

Epic Advanced Dragons are that hardcore. Dragons that think ahead and work to make themselves better are always an order of magnitude more dangerous, competent and lethal than comparable humanoids.

There's a reason the Dragons of Argonessen are the true superpower of the Eberron setting and that the elves of Faerun had to take ridiculous, world-endangering measures to end the Empire of the Dragons.

Ellowryn
2014-03-03, 08:21 PM
I kinda had the same general idea, but im using kobolds as the main ground force that is spreading out to overrun the world. My pc's are starting off fighting normal kobolds with class levels, then adding other templates like halfdragon and dragonwroght and then more diverse enemies. I get the feeling mob npc's are just going to get crushed in your campaign maybe you can try divide and crush tactics? i assume as your BBEG has grown so powerful is because he isnt afraid to learn about his enemies, and their weaknesses.

MadGreenSon
2014-03-03, 08:33 PM
I kinda had the same general idea, but im using kobolds as the main ground force that is spreading out to overrun the world. My pc's are starting off fighting normal kobolds with class levels, then adding other templates like halfdragon and dragonwroght and then more diverse enemies. I get the feeling mob npc's are just going to get crushed in your campaign maybe you can try divide and crush tactics? i assume as your BBEG has grown so powerful is because he isnt afraid to learn about his enemies, and their weaknesses.

Also, sounds like the BBEG is a Dragon that learned to optimize!:smallcool:

Ellowryn
2014-03-03, 08:38 PM
Sounds like this dragon flunked Dr.Evils school of Villainy!:smallbiggrin: