PDA

View Full Version : Food Hot Sauce in the Playground

Eulalios
2014-03-03, 07:12 PM
I was amazed to Google and not find a thread for this ...

... anyway, my current favorite for more than a decade has been Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot (habaņero carrot and lime, piquantly tangy earthy flavor) but I am curious what everyone else likes (would like to try something new and cool). If you care to, please post your fav with key ingredients and a flavor description. Plus any interesting trivia, e.g.: Mama Sharp's stuff eats through the bottoms of glass bottles. But is surprisingly gentle on the stomach.

Bhu
2014-03-03, 08:37 PM
Arizona Gunslinger is pretty good smoky jalapeno sauce (it's just jalapenos, vinegar and salt). A__ Kickin' makes a decent sauce too. Big Fish Grill Seafood Sauce is great for fish and shrimp (peaches, vidalia onions). Bite Me Lime Cilantro is sweet and hot (jalapenos, lemons, lime, cilantro). Bone Suckin' Sauce is also a great smoky sauce (apple cider vinegar, molasses, lemon, mustard, horseradish, garlic, etc). For mild stuff, Cheech makes a surprisingly decent sauce range. Georgia Peach and VIdalia Onion Hot Sauce is friggin' awesome (you can pretty much guess the ingredients). Iguana and Baboon A__ both make pretty good sauces. Luck O' the Irish is good, and has a pretty unique ingredient list (Green apple cider vinegar, Habaņero peppers, Cayenne pepper mash, Scotch Bonnet peppers, ginger puree, garlic juice, sweet potatoes, thick molasses, clear Shoyu, key lime juice & a lucky blend of herbs, natural flavors, spices. ). You mentioned Marie Sharps', and she has a huge list of sauces. Maui Pepper Company Apples A__ Hot Sauce makes a great hot sauce based off apple butter, along with several other fruit based sauces (Apple butter, vinegar, apple juice, mango, apples, onion, brown sugar, honey, Habaņero , rum extract, garlic, vanilla extract.). Melinda's has a nice catalog. Look up Toad Sweat if you want something really, really different.

Avoid Da Bomb, it's super hot but bitter. Actually any of the really super hot sauces tend to have more heat than flavor sadly.

I really wanna try Fat Cat and this (http://www.honeybadgersauce.com/). I can send you some links if you want catalogs and stuff that handle multiple companies.

Eulalios
2014-03-03, 09:17 PM
MMM.. that stuff all looks good, but especially the Toad Sweat and the Honey Badger.

ETA: How's the weather in Hell itself?

Bhu
2014-03-03, 09:19 PM
Darn cold.

Also, check your local farmers market. We have a guy who bottles his own sauce. Makes darn good stuff, but only sells local.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-03, 10:44 PM
I like spicy more than just heat. If it doesn't have good flavour, I don't care how hot it is, it's not going in my mouth. For a long time, Sriracha was my heat of choice. It had a nice thickness that made it as awesome a condiment as an ingredient, and the garlicky, sweetness was a nice counterpoint to what is, to me, the over saltiness and vinegary taste of a lot of other hot sauces I've tried.
Unfortunately, lately, that's lacked the kick it once had.
I guess my tongue has gone Borg on me; it has adapted.

PallElendro
2014-03-03, 11:03 PM
When I'm eating casually, I like to have a bottle of Tapatio. It's spicy enough that I have a good time, and it makes lots of food taste better.

When I'm eating with my dad, I always keep around a bottle of Crystal. That stuff is very burning, and my intestines were fast friends with it. May cause anal combustion, however.

But let me tell you about one time I had the famous Ghost pepper. It kicked. It shot. It tasted so good, but so killing. Ghost peppers can make food and break butts, because it dances so lightly on your tongue, that it leaves a dainty impression that is later proven with an after-taste that may be analogue to Dragonbreath Chili (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=15852). Having a whiff of it instantly cleared my nose, too. No need to clip my nose hairs or blow my nose anymore.

Just a quick obvious tip: Don't let any hot sauce enter the wrong pipe. I did that at least twice, and I don't think it'll be the last time. I could have died. :eek:

Palanan
2014-03-03, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ravens_cry

Time to rotate spice frequencies! That always deals with those pesky Borg tongues. ; )

Originally Posted by Eulalios
...but I am curious what everyone else likes....

Somewhere around I have a recipe for a spicy apricot chicken-wing marinade. I had it once when I was running a game at a friend's house. Probably the absolute best chicken wings I've ever had. The second batch, which had spent more time marinating, was much spicier than the first...intensely so. Hoo hah.

I was given a copy of the recipe, but it has vanished into the vortex. Every year or so there's a fleeting glimpse. If I ever find it I'll list off the particulars. It was insane. And fantastic.

Originally Posted by Ravens_cry
I like spicy more than just heat.

Allow me to suggest the Shan brand of Indian spices, straight from Karachi. I love Indian food, and I like to experiment with new spices. Shan has dozens of mixes--Fish Biryani, Yakhni Pilau, Bihari Kebab, Keema Curry, Seekh Kebab, Karahi Gosht, Nihari Curry, on and on. Nihari Curry in particular is madness-hot, at least to me; I tend to go more for flavors than raw heat, so I don't use it much.

Many of the mixes are intended for particular kinds of meat or vegetables; I usually try them on chicken or catfish, plus salmon on occasion. Fish Biryani, Yakhni Pilau and Lahori Fish are especially good on catfish. If you like flavorful spices, and you're looking for something new, I recommend you find a nice hole-in-the-wall Indian shop (or Pakistani, or Bangladeshi) and try a few. They've been a staple of my cooking for years.

Ravens_cry
2014-03-03, 11:15 PM
If I find such a place, I'll see what I can do. :smallsmile:
One trouble is, while I love what Indian food I've tried, the names mean little to me. Experimenting is fun, but some tastes just really don't mix.

Bhu
2014-03-04, 12:13 AM
I like spicy more than just heat. If it doesn't have good flavour, I don't care how hot it is, it's not going in my mouth. For a long time, Sriracha was my heat of choice. It had a nice thickness that made it as awesome a condiment as an ingredient, and the garlicky, sweetness was a nice counterpoint to what is, to me, the over saltiness and vinegary taste of a lot of other hot sauces I've tried.
Unfortunately, lately, that's lacked the kick it once had.

A lot of companies want the coveted 'hottest sauce evar' title, which usually leaves out taste. The methods used to make he concentrated pepper mash that's super hot require some sugar and acid to balance them, or they're very bitter. Look for hot sauces with fruit or apple cider vinegar as ingredients. Oranges, carrots and garlic go particularly well with Habaneros. Strawberries, peaches, mangoes, raspberries, apples etc go well with Serrano and Jalapeno.

Amidus Drexel
2014-03-04, 09:53 AM
but I am curious what everyone else likes (would like to try something new and cool).

Nando's Peri-Peri sauce (extra-hot, of course :smallcool:). I love that stuff - it seems to find its way into pretty much any chicken I eat anymore. The african bird's eye peppers have a very different flavor from most habenero or jalapeno peppers. :smallbiggrin:

Tebryn
2014-03-04, 10:16 AM
I've tried more hot sauces and hot peppers than I can probably relate. I've made Ghost Chili Vodka, had a Carolina Reaper and am soon to get the Chocolate Bhutla. The hotter the better.

Traab
2014-03-04, 10:54 AM
When I'm eating casually, I like to have a bottle of Tapatio. It's spicy enough that I have a good time, and it makes lots of food taste better.

When I'm eating with my dad, I always keep around a bottle of Crystal. That stuff is very burning, and my intestines were fast friends with it. May cause anal combustion, however.

But let me tell you about one time I had the famous Ghost pepper. It kicked. It shot. It tasted so good, but so killing. Ghost peppers can make food and break butts, because it dances so lightly on your tongue, that it leaves a dainty impression that is later proven with an after-taste that may be analogue to Dragonbreath Chili (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=15852). Having a whiff of it instantly cleared my nose, too. No need to clip my nose hairs or blow my nose anymore.

Just a quick obvious tip: Don't let any hot sauce enter the wrong pipe. I did that at least twice, and I don't think it'll be the last time. I could have died. :eek:

I second ghost pepper sauce. It tastes great. But, speaking as a guy who uses habenero sauce for flavor because its so mild, ghost pepper is seriously freaking hot. Just as an example. I make ramen noodles 2 packs at a time. Thats 4 cups of water, two flavor packs and two squares of noodles. I cover half a toothpick in ghost pepper and wipe it off in the boiling water halfway through cooking. That is as hot as I can stand it while still enjoying the taste. What I am trying to say is, a little goes a long way. I also want to second the A__ Kicking sauces. I got a sampler pack with 4 different hot sauces, two were varieties of that, and they were very tasty.

I used to use scotch bonnet, but it annoys me because the bottles always seem to have skins and seeds and such in them which annoys me. Not a bad flavor, I just dont like the texture.

Ok guys, time to give away my family hot sauce recipie.

A large bottle of franks hot sauce.

About a pound of margarine

A healthy dollop of crushed garlic

Cracked black pepper

A sprinkle of crushed red pepper

A small bottle of chalula sauce

A decent dollop of ghost pepper for heat and flavor.

Melt margarine and garlic together first. Then add franks, then chalula, then the peppers and ghost pepper sauce. Simmer together for awhile, then set aside to cool to room temp, stirring from time to time. Pour over 10 pounds of chicken wings, (oh yeah, this makes a lot of sauce) let marinate overnight, then bake at 425 for 45 minutes, drain most of the grease (there will be a lot) But leave a little on the bottom of the cookie sheet, then put oven on convection for 15 minutes. This will crisp up the wings.

There, the convection baking actually does a good job of killing a lot of the extra spice without removing any of the awesome flavor. If you didnt add in too much ghost pepper you have hot wings you can gorge on without needed a gallon jug of milk. Best part is the sauce keeps pretty well. Save the extra (the recipe is meant for parties) and freeze it.

shawnhcorey
2014-03-04, 11:11 AM
Our grocery has recently started carrying Frank's Buffalo wing sauce. Now I put it on everything. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2014-03-04, 11:51 AM
Ive seen it there but never tried it, we make our own hot sauce usually, as you could probably tell. :smallbiggrin: I have been curious about it though. I may have to buy a bottle to check it out for myself.

druid91
2014-03-04, 07:20 PM

I just use powdered spices.

Tebryn
2014-03-04, 07:20 PM
Ive seen it there but never tried it, we make our own hot sauce usually, as you could probably tell. :smallbiggrin: I have been curious about it though. I may have to buy a bottle to check it out for myself.

It's basically vinegar and cayenne peppers

shawnhcorey
2014-03-04, 07:30 PM
It's basically vinegar and cayenne peppers

That would be Franks' Red Hot sauce. The Buffalo Wing sauce is Frank's Red Hot and blue cheese salad dressing.

Eulalios
2014-03-04, 07:31 PM

I just use powdered spices.

Thank you for informing us all of that. Would you possibly care to share your favored blend of spices? Are we talking Garam Masala with Ginger and Five Seed Mustard, or something more like Coriander with Red Chili?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-03-04, 07:31 PM
...Dammit, I totally forgot to put tobasco sauce on my quesadila for dinner.

shawnhcorey
2014-03-04, 07:57 PM
Thank you for informing us all of that. Would you possibly care to share your favored blend of spices? Are we talking Garam Masala with Ginger and Five Seed Mustard, or something more like Coriander with Red Chili?

Cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, cloves, cayenne. Amounts vary depending on my mood. :smallsmile:

druid91
2014-03-04, 07:59 PM

Generally speaking just Red Chili, Cayenne pepper, and a bit of Old Bay.

Though I do love Wasabi, that's good to.

warty goblin
2014-03-04, 07:59 PM
I mostly just use a local BBQ sauce for my heat. If I'm feeling perky, I'll melt up some butter with chili pepper flakes and stir that in. Kicks up the heat a bit, and adds a bit of richness. Goes really well on gnocchi.

Palanan
2014-03-04, 09:43 PM
Gnocchi...and chili peppers?

*brain shorts out*

valadil
2014-03-04, 10:05 PM
I usually go with Mad Dog. I've got Inferno and 357. A drop of either is enough heat for a whole crock of chili. Honestly, either one of those bottles is probably all the hot sauce I'll need for the rest of my life.

warty goblin
2014-03-04, 10:20 PM

*brain shorts out*
Compared to the bacon, baked beans with cabbage and pickle pizza on biscuit crust I've made in the past, the flamethrower gnocchi are really pretty sane.

thubby
2014-03-04, 10:20 PM
good old tobasco is great on a lot of things

Asta Kask
2014-03-04, 11:40 PM
Sounds like you might like Flaming Brian's Kitchen, (http://www.thecinemasnob.com/flaming-brians-kitchen.html) where a man goes up against the hot sauces of the universe.

Bhu
2014-03-05, 05:50 PM

*brain shorts out*

You'll love Toad Sweat then. It's hot sauce made for ice cream.

Nando's Peri-Peri sauce (extra-hot, of course :smallcool:). I love that stuff - it seems to find its way into pretty much any chicken I eat anymore. The african bird's eye peppers have a very different flavor from most habenero or jalapeno peppers. :smallbiggrin:
Are those the ones that go well in yellow mustard? I remember Dave's Gourmet makes a good Habanero Honey Mustard.

If any of you are from Delaware you might peek at peppers.com. They have a hot sauce museum, or used to.

Oooh and I forgot Jump Up and Kiss Me. It has ginger, honey, mustard, turmeric, papaya, and habanero. Noms.

Amidus Drexel
2014-03-05, 07:11 PM
Are those the ones that go well in yellow mustard? I remember Dave's Gourmet makes a good Habanero Honey Mustard.

I don't know about yellow mustard, but I've been mixing the stuff with honey mustard for some time now, and it's divine. I'll have to try that habanero honey mustard at some point - I love stuff that's sweet and spicy.

Tebryn
2014-03-07, 11:03 AM

It has good flavor but even the Extra Hot is pretty tame heat wise and you need a lot for the heat to build which combined with how much a tiny bottle costs...some of the Super Hot sauces are a better cost to heat ratio.

Bhu
2014-03-08, 04:31 PM
Has anyone tried Grapes of Wrath?

The ingredient list includes Grape Juice, Pineapple, Pickled Red Cabbage, Red Habanero peppers, Cabernet, Blueberries, Ginger, Strawberries, Brown Sugar, Honey, Blackberries, Salt, Lime Juice, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Scorpion Peppers, Garlic, Cinnamon.

I must admit to curiosity.

Tebryn
2014-03-08, 07:32 PM
That's a whole ton of conflicting flavors right there. Grape juice and pumpkin pie spice? With cinnamon (which is in pumpkin pie spice already) and garlic? Nope, sounds vile.