PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Oots ascii art?

Balain
2014-03-03, 07:19 PM
So my current assignment we need to write a program that converts images to ascii art. I was thinking once I get it working trying some of the Oots backgrounds with it. Was wondering if it would be okay to share the results here or not?

MagicalMeat
2014-03-03, 08:31 PM
I'm a tad bit confused why you are even asking this. Of course you can, as long as it follows board rules (meaning no profanity or sexual content and stuff.)

Siosilvar
2014-03-03, 08:35 PM
I'm a tad bit confused why you are even asking this. Of course you can, as long as it follows board rules (meaning no profanity or sexual content and stuff.)

You mean this part of the board rules, which specifically requires that he ask?

Also, please do not take, alter, or use the provided avatar images, comic images, or other pieces of Rich's art without express consent.

MagicalMeat
2014-03-04, 12:00 AM
I assumed that that referred to using Rich's art for other things like webcomics, advertisements. I've seen people use modified OotS art for their profiles or in their banners (the one with all the Order depicted as dwarves with Durkon's head comes to mind). I really don't think a school project and showing the school project online qualifies. It's utterly unenforceable to prevent people from using copywrited art for personal use. I'll admit it's definitely less cut and dry than I previously believed, but I'm sure it's fine.

Kalmegil
2014-03-04, 12:18 AM
You can always PM one of the mods for this subforum to ask whether something is appropriate to post or not. They'll escalate it as high as it needs to go.

Roland St. Jude
2014-03-04, 12:57 AM
Sheriff: As noted above, the relevant part of the rules is this:

Also, please do not take, alter, or use the provided avatar images, comic images, or other pieces of Rich's art without express consent.

I assumed that that referred to using Rich's art for other things like webcomics, advertisements.It doesn't contain any such limitation. It means what it says, don't take, use, or alter Rich's art. If you do so on the Forum, that violates the Forum Rules. If you do so elsewhere, it certainly violates Rich's stated preferences and possibly intellectual property laws. Please don't do it.

I've seen people use modified OotS art for their profiles or in their banners (the one with all the Order depicted as dwarves with Durkon's head comes to mind).Please report such instances when you see them.

I really don't think a school project and showing the school project online qualifies. It's utterly unenforceable to prevent people from using copywrited art for personal use. I'll admit it's definitely less cut and dry than I previously believed, but I'm sure it's fine.It isn't fine. It violates the Forum Rules, if posted here, and Rich's stated preferences regardless of where you do it. Whether it violates copyright, trademark, or other law is far too complicated to get into here. But "personal use" and "school project" are not somehow exempted from the law.