PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Race: Hell-raven (P.E.A.C.H.)

CrazyYanmega
2014-03-03, 08:21 PM
I noticed that the glorious Divine Flame (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5683.0) Martial Discipline is pretty much impossible to get into at a reasonable level to specialize in it, so I've taken it upon myself to create a homebrew race to go with it, with minimal level adjustment.

As usual, I will have to do this in short bursts to avoid losing lots of work from random browser crashing.

Hell-raven, 1st-Level Warrior
Medium Outsider [Native] [Fire]
HD 1d8 (Average HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); Fly 20 ft. (average)
Init: +1
AC 12 (+1 Padded Armor, +1 Dex); touch 11; flat-footed 11
BAB +1; Grp +2
Attack Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2) or Shortbow +2 (1d6, x3)
Full-Attack Full attack Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2) or Shortbow +2 (1d6, x3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Alternate Form, Fire Subtype, Native Traits, Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves Fort +2 Ref +1 Will -2
Abilities Str 12, Dex 13, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 6, Cha 8
Skills
Feats Hover (B), Improved Initiative
Environment In and around active and semi-dormant volcanos
Organization Solitairy, hunting party (2-5 and 1 Lv 3 Fighter), or flock (40-60 warriors, plus 100% noncombatants, plus 1 level 3-5 cleric or sorcerer per 20 adults, plus one level 8-12 leader)
Challenge Rating 1
Treasure Standard
Alignment Often Lawful Evil
Advancement by Character Class; Favored Class Sorcerer
Level Adjustment +1

Long ago, the ebony birds of the Nine Hells managed to escape their fiery cage and spread across the planes like a plague. While the mighty armies of angels and demons managed to exterminate the flying vermin, the limited number of heroes in the Material Plane meant that the creatures managed to gain a foothold and propagate. From there, an evil wizard attempted to change the creatures to suit him as soldiers. But once they gained sentience, the no-longer-birds turned on their creator and destroyed him.

Alternate Form (Sp.): A hell-raven can assume the form of a Raven (Monster Manual pg 278) as a standard action. A DC 15 Spot check allows bystanders to discern that the hell-raven is not what it seems. A hell-raven cannot access any of her class abilities while in this form, nor can she cast spells, use psionics, or initiate maneuvers. She still retains her Fire Subtype.

Fire Subtype: A hell-raven has immunity to fire, but takes half as much again (+50%) damage from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if that save is a success or a failure.

Native Traits: A hell-raven can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just like a living creature. A hell-raven must eat and sleep.

Feats: A hell-raven gets Hover as a Bonus Feat.

Hell-ravens as Characters
Ability Scores: +2 DEX, +2 INT, -4 WIS, -2 CHA
Special Abilities: A Hell-raven player character has Alternate Form and the Fire Subtype.

Debihuman
2014-03-03, 08:36 PM
Flight (like climb, burrow and swim) are never given in squares because you can move vertically.

Medium creatures are Space/Reach: 5 ft,.5 ft,

Why don't these use elite stats?

Debby

vasharanpaladin
2014-03-03, 10:48 PM
If you're using Okuu as the standout example, she's low-Wis, not low-Int. Idiot savant, not experienced moron.

CrazyYanmega
2014-03-03, 11:20 PM
I can use elite stats for this? I thought it was only for PCs? I mean, the Monster Manual elves and dwarves seem to use non-elite stats.

Durazno
2014-03-04, 02:35 AM
@vasharanpaladin: It's unclear if they're all as, er, clever as Okuu, though. It might be the reason she was chosen as the vessel of Yatagarasu over any other Hell Raven.

Adam1949
2014-03-04, 02:48 AM
I decided to tweak your statblock a bit, to make more sense in the spirit of Okuu. I hope you do not mind.

The Hell-Raven

http://i.imgur.com/hkH5ZKR.jpg
Appearance: Hell Ravens have two forms; a humanoid one, and a birdlike version. Both almost always have black hair/feathers and pale skin, with red eyes. Upon their chest lies a eye-like gemstone; this is akin to a Hell Raven's heart.

Type: Outsider (Fire, Native). A Hell Raven is an Outsider native to the Material plane. Although once citizens of the Nine Hells, long ago did they break free of their devil masters and cut their own path in life.
By having the Fire subtype, a Hell Raven has an immunity to fire but a vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
A Hell Raven keeps this type even when in their alternate form (see below).

Size: Medium (although see Alternate Form, below).

Speed: 30 feet base speed. A Hell Raven also has a flight speed equal to 20 feet (average maneuverability). While in their alternate form (see below), a Hell Raven has a flight speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability).

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, -4 Wisdom. A Hell Raven is supernaturally swift, and thanks to their burning Eye-Gem are quite tough as well. However, they are brash and often foolish (although surprisingly skillful in their chosen line of work).

Alternate Form: A number of times per day equal to their Constitution Modifier (minimum 1/day), a Hell Raven may cast off their humanoid form and turn into a pitch-black raven with burning eyes as a swift action. They are in most ways identical to the Raven (as in the SRD), except that they overlay their ability modifiers (total, not just the racial ones) over the Raven's own, keep their own special abilities (including feats, spells prepared, maneuvers readied, and so forth), have their normal Hit Dice amount, and keep the Outsider (Fire, Native) typing. They do not gain the ability to speak, nor do they have enough motion in their wings in order to complete somatic components in spells. They may change back into their humanoid form as a free action.

Skill Bonus: A Hell Raven selects any Craft or Profession skill at creation. That skill is always a class skill, and they gain a +4 bonus to it. Hell Ravens take pride in their chosen lifestyle and work, slaving tirelessly over whatever they believe their calling is.

Favored Classes: Duskblade and Warblade. A multiclass Hell Raven does not incur experience penalties in regards to their levels in Duskblade and Warblade. The brashness of the Hell Raven personality means that most of their kind take up a blade of some kind, while their innate love of fire draws them to either evocation magic or some form of Sublime fire style (usually either the Desert Wind or Divine Flame disciplines).

Average Alignment: Lawful Evil. Originating from the Nine Hells, Hell Ravens often, as a whole, of the low-burning kind of evil; the kind that refuses to help others in their time of need and in fact exploits their weakness in order to advance themselves (more selfish than evil, really). However, they also respect their position in life, content to stay put and live a cushy life (although always on the lookout for a way to improve their own standing).

Level Adjustment: +1 ~ +2.

So? How's that?

BONUS! A statblock I found for an opponent Okuu! Here (http://i.imgur.com/J7OwrBc.jpg).

CrazyYanmega
2014-03-04, 03:18 AM
I decided to tweak your statblock a bit, to make more sense in the spirit of Okuu. I hope you do not mind.

The Hell-Raven

http://i.imgur.com/hkH5ZKR.jpg
Appearance: Hell Ravens have two forms; a humanoid one, and a birdlike version. Both almost always have black hair/feathers and pale skin, with red eyes. Upon their chest lies a eye-like gemstone; this is akin to a Hell Raven's heart.

Type: Outsider (Fire, Native). A Hell Raven is an Outsider native to the Material plane. Although once citizens of the Nine Hells, long ago did they break free of their devil masters and cut their own path in life.
By having the Fire subtype, a Hell Raven has an immunity to fire but a vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
A Hell Raven keeps this type even when in their alternate form (see below).

Size: Medium (although see Alternate Form, below).

Speed: 30 feet base speed. A Hell Raven also has a flight speed equal to 20 feet (average maneuverability). While in their alternate form (see below), a Hell Raven has a flight speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability).

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, -4 Wisdom. A Hell Raven is supernaturally swift, and thanks to their burning Eye-Gem are quite tough as well. However, they are brash and often foolish (although surprisingly skillful in their chosen line of work).

Alternate Form: A number of times per day equal to their Constitution Modifier (minimum 1/day), a Hell Raven may cast off their humanoid form and turn into a pitch-black raven with burning eyes as a swift action. They are in most ways identical to the Raven (as in the SRD), except that they overlay their ability modifiers (total, not just the racial ones) over the Raven's own, keep their own special abilities (including feats, spells prepared, maneuvers readied, and so forth), have their normal Hit Dice amount, and keep the Outsider (Fire, Native) typing. They do not gain the ability to speak, nor do they have enough motion in their wings in order to complete somatic components in spells. They may change back into their humanoid form as a free action.

Skill Bonus: A Hell Raven selects any Craft or Profession skill at creation. That skill is always a class skill, and they gain a +4 bonus to it. Hell Ravens take pride in their chosen lifestyle and work, slaving tirelessly over whatever they believe their calling is.

Favored Classes: Duskblade and Warblade. A multiclass Hell Raven does not incur experience penalties in regards to their levels in Duskblade and Warblade. The brashness of the Hell Raven personality means that most of their kind take up a blade of some kind, while their innate love of fire draws them to either evocation magic or some form of Sublime fire style (usually either the Desert Wind or Divine Flame disciplines).

Average Alignment: Lawful Evil. Originating from the Nine Hells, Hell Ravens often, as a whole, of the low-burning kind of evil; the kind that refuses to help others in their time of need and in fact exploits their weakness in order to advance themselves (more selfish than evil, really). However, they also respect their position in life, content to stay put and live a cushy life (although always on the lookout for a way to improve their own standing).

Level Adjustment: +1 ~ +2.

So? How's that?

BONUS! A statblock I found for an opponent Okuu! Here (http://i.imgur.com/J7OwrBc.jpg).

While impressive, I need to make sure that the race does not overlap with features of the Divine Flame Martial Discipline. Also, in keeping with the official books, Favored Class is limited to the Core classes, and only one.

Would you mind if I borrowed (stole) the fluff from your hell raven?

Adam1949
2014-03-04, 03:27 AM
While impressive, I need to make sure that the race does not overlap with features of the Divine Flame Martial Discipline. Also, in keeping with the official books, Favored Class is limited to the Core classes, and only one.

Ah, fair enough. I tried at least, is all I care about. :smallsmile:
Also, I keep forgetting that when I make my homebrew races; I use whatever (Official!) class works best for them, and two of them at that; it gives them more room to wiggle in my opinion. Nonetheless, I understand that the way I do it isn't the correct or usual way. Aw well.

Would you mind if I borrowed (stole) the fluff from your hell raven?
Please, go right on ahead! I didn't realize I made much fluff!

CrazyYanmega
2014-03-04, 03:59 AM
I have intentions of using a well made race to make Divine Flame accessible at Lv 1 and allow me to actually USE Divine Flame in a D&D game. If you are going to use homebrew, I feel that it needs to be well made.

Durazno
2014-03-04, 08:50 AM
How much is fire immunity worth, anyway? I started to noodle something out that would be less specific to Utsuho, but that kind of tripped me up.

Adam1949
2014-03-04, 01:12 PM
How much is fire immunity worth, anyway? I started to noodle something out that would be less specific to Utsuho, but that kind of tripped me up.

I feel like it'd be worth more if the creature in question didn't also have the [Fire] subtype to go with it, which makes cold effects really dangerous.

vasharanpaladin
2014-03-04, 02:16 PM
@vasharanpaladin: It's unclear if they're all as, er, clever as Okuu, though. It might be the reason she was chosen as the vessel of Yatagarasu over any other Hell Raven.

Corvids are, on the whole, intelligent birds. Supernatural hell-corvids wouldn't be any less so. I'm not advocating an Int bonus so much as the lack of an Int penalty, savvy? :smallwink:

Durazno
2014-03-04, 05:01 PM
Oh, yeah, no. Crovids being clever is exactly why I was commenting. "Er, clever" was supposed to be a diplomatic way of saying "dumb," but in retrospect the joke doesn't really work.

Okuu's empty-headedness is the main reason she could serve as a vessel, and other hell ravens are probably pretty smart. They probably don't need a massive WIS penalty, is what I'm thinking, because that's more of an Okuu thing than a hell raven thing.