PDA

View Full Version : so, our swashbuckler lost her hand...replacement?

The Shadowdove
2014-03-04, 06:00 AM
The other day our swashbuckler rolled a 1 to jump over a trap designed to chop at the ankles.

This was after she said in-game "watch this you clumsy oafs. I'll elegantly leap over it." To which our half-orc cleric replied "I bet you'll trip."

This 1 was followed by another one, which removed her hand after tripping.(She caught her fall with her offhand)

Her second 1 was immediately followed by a 2...I was about to kill her but my fighter chimed in mid-roll with a "screw this, I grab her as fast as I can before the trap connects again."

He rolled a natural 20.

Does anyone have any good ideas for replacing the hand with something less stumpy?

She's getting tired of wearing her severed hand, and the guys in our group volunteered to search out a way of obtaining a left hand of some form or other with her.

We're currently at the spine of the world due to a end-dungeon portal. Kicking back in the remnants of a mage tower they busted into in order to kill a fleeing transmuter.

Any ideas are much appreciated. I love seeing what you guys come up with.

Thanks in advance for your superior knowledge and experience,

-Dove

Swaoeaeieu
2014-03-04, 06:05 AM
nothing is cooler then a stump knife for a pirate/swashbuckler.

Or a regeneration spell to get the hand back. Or a stump knife. Stump knife is cooler.

cakellene
2014-03-04, 06:06 AM
Mithral hand crafted for her?

The Shadowdove
2014-03-04, 06:10 AM

Good start...could look into non fleshy body parts.

But she wants full mobility of the thing.

SiuiS
2014-03-04, 06:15 AM
10 ranks in heal, a quick retrain or similar McGuffin to create and undead graft, and give her back her hand – either skeletal and deft, ghostly and translucent, or pallid with long, black nails.

Alternately, just animate dead and give her her hand back but make it somewhat resistant to obeying commands. Or ask the DM for the qualifications for making her hand deathless instead of undead.

Get a ring of polymorph and polymorph her into herself but with a hand.

Petrify her and the hand. Combine them, then reverse the petrifaction? See if there are any interesting bits lying around the transmuter's to user than can help.

Plop her hand into some ice and make a simulacrum or I've Ssasain, and transfer her consciousness into it so she can continue leveling?

What level are y'all?

Swaoeaeieu
2014-03-04, 06:15 AM
mighty arm graft. 2000 gp for a completely new arm. robot arm even!

Sith_Happens
2014-03-04, 06:17 AM
A badger, some Sovereign Glue, and a good Handle Animal check.

SiuiS
2014-03-04, 06:20 AM
Alternately, add a four foot stick in there and to hell with the handle animal check.

Once played with a war forged chap whose weapon of choice was a halfling frenzied berserker on a leash. This sounds similar.

cakellene
2014-03-04, 06:25 AM
There is a fairly large selection of grafts to choose from too.

Swaoeaeieu
2014-03-04, 06:30 AM

Isn't that your solution to all dnd related problems sith?

hemming
2014-03-04, 06:34 AM
Well, the most common routes (regeneration and grafting) aside, you could give her a gauntlet that is also an intelligent item. It could cooperate with her most of the time, but occasionally pop off and act on its own

You could also tweak the way a permanent animate object works a bit so that she could have a non-grafted functioning metal hand (though this is just grafting by another mechanic)

Cicciograna
2014-03-04, 06:37 AM

http://img0.24video.cc/1594/1594475/bigthumb0.jpg

cakellene
2014-03-04, 06:46 AM
Assuming they are medium, glue a pixie to them for more atacks and invisibility.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-03-04, 06:48 AM
uhh, the 7th level cleric spell Regenerate?

Draconic graft, aberration graft, demonic graft, undead graft, half-golem template.

Jgosse
2014-03-04, 07:23 AM
uhh, the 7th level cleric spell Regenerate?

Draconic graft, aberration graft, demonic graft, undead graft, half-golem template.

There we go. I was starting to wonder why no one said this yet.

Stoneback
2014-03-04, 07:33 AM
Totally a hook. So badass.

Krazzman
2014-03-04, 07:34 AM
+1 to Stumpknive... or better: Hook! At least until something else comes along.

Edit: Swashbuckler'd

Darrin
2014-03-04, 07:37 AM
Chainsaw. Now say it with me... "Groovy."

mighty arm graft. 2000 gp for a completely new arm. robot arm even!

That would be my second choice. Mighty Arms graft (1000 GP, Faiths of Eberron) + Battle Fist (2600 GP, Eberron Campaign Setting).

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures."

Zanos
2014-03-04, 07:43 AM
I hear talk that some old lich misplaced his left hand awhile ago, perhaps that could work? :smalltongue:

SiuiS
2014-03-04, 07:59 AM
There we go. I was starting to wonder why no one said this yet.

Because any solution with a minimum five percent chance of you don't play your charavter anymore is a bad solution, I would imagine.

Bronk
2014-03-04, 08:12 AM
Dragon 318: Sailor's hook graft: +5 to use rope, +5 to climb and is a weapon that deals 1d4 damage. 12500g

Dragon 318: Hot Iron Hook: 1d4 damage, 1d4 fire damage, can cast Mark of Justice 1/day. 36000g

Dragon 318: Kolyarut hand: can use vampiric touch for 6d6 damage 3/day. 86400g

Ravens_cry
2014-03-04, 08:30 AM
I hear talk that some old lich misplaced his left hand awhile ago, perhaps that could work? :smalltongue:
I hear he lost his head. Much better.:smallamused:

Joe the Rat
2014-03-04, 08:32 AM

I hear he lost his head. Much better.:smallamused:You should keep an eye out for those.

Vaz
2014-03-04, 08:37 AM

Yes.

letters

Captnq
2014-03-04, 08:52 AM
Serious answer time.
Go to my sig, get the EVD.
Combat Equipment/Weapons-Shields v4.05.doc/^p^pStump Knife
-Get it with KEEN. It stacks.

Augmentation/Just Grafts/GRAFTS, Pirate v1.01

Many good hand replacements in the Augmentation Folder, but thematically, the pirate file has all the cool crap.

ddude987
2014-03-04, 11:58 AM
You should keep an eye out for those.

So if we put his head on the buckler's arm and replace her head with his hand... wait a minute that's not right.

Rubik
2014-03-04, 12:20 PM
I'd say to replace it with an animated gauntlet, then add some warforged mighty arms. Nothing in the graft's description says it must replace your previous arms, or even intimates it.

Darkweave31
2014-03-04, 12:24 PM
warforged battlefist component?

The Viscount
2014-03-04, 12:37 PM
If you've got the money (only 1600 gp) a Dukar Hand Coral will regenerate the hand in a few days.

Honest Tiefling
2014-03-04, 12:56 PM
So, they just busted in on a Transmuter? Insert something into their notes about body modification. It could lead to a new quest, but could give the otpion of 1) go to a cleric, have to deal with religion or 2) take the notes, but deal with wizards instead.

Talionis
2014-03-04, 01:10 PM
You should get one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lmjP4JEhsA

go here to see the fist in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11hauEzyQC8 at 3:20 ish you'll see it really do its stuff.

But since a Battlefist can be mounted into Mighty Arms and the Battlefist can be enchanted like a weapon and can probably take other Warforged Components to get say an Armbow and then enchant it with a spell of something blasty.

Vhaidara
2014-03-04, 01:11 PM
Do they normally use a weapon in their offhand? If so, stump knife is fantastic.

If not, we could use something more flavorful. Grafts have been mentioned, but that's usually an arm, not a hand. Hooks are a classic. Mechanical hand is steampunky, skeletal hand is less so.

Personally, I would go with a mechanical hand and get it enchanted with a few toys (one to each finger):
At will Prestidigitation. Always a fun one.
At will Flamefigner (from OOTS: On the Origin of the PCs): cantrip that V made that is literally just a small flame above your finger (basically a lighter built into your hand)
At will Mage Hand: party tricks
and 2 more at will cantrips, chosen to taste.

Zombulian
2014-03-04, 01:17 PM
Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so sorry if already been suggested. The Mighty Arms graft could replace the whole arm for 1000gp, or just reflavor to only replace the hand.

Dromuthra
2014-03-04, 01:45 PM
Surprised that no one's suggested that you go questing for the Hand of Vecna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Vecna). That might be fun. :smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2014-03-04, 02:18 PM
Surprised that no one's suggested that you go questing for the Hand of Vecna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Vecna). That might be fun. :smallbiggrin:

Someone beat you to it.

Dromuthra
2014-03-04, 02:27 PM
Someone beat you to it.

'Doh! :smallredface: Skimming forums will lead to looking silly...

On a more serious note, either the stumpblade or the metal hand is likely the best option. What's the party makeup? if we have a better idea of what resources the group has, we can submit better solutions.

Rubik
2014-03-04, 02:35 PM
Someone beat you to it.He's not the only one.

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so sorry if already been suggested. The Mighty Arms graft could replace the whole arm for 1000gp, or just reflavor to only replace the hand.Observe:

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so sorry if already been suggested. The Mighty Arms graft could replace the whole arm for 1000gp, or just reflavor to only replace the hand.

I'd say to replace it with an animated gauntlet, then add some warforged mighty arms. Nothing in the graft's description says it must replace your previous arms, or even intimates it.

Sith_Happens
2014-03-04, 02:41 PM
Isn't that your solution to all dnd related problems sith?

Only limb-loss problems. And not-having-a-badger-glued-to-your-arm problems.:smalltongue:

Artillery
2014-03-04, 02:52 PM
Find a Psion Egoist and pay him to manifest Restore Extremity on your Swashbuckler.

It will cost 5*9*10GP, so 450GP to have an NPC caster do it.

The Shadowdove
2014-03-04, 03:56 PM
Find a Psion Egoist and pay him to manifest Restore Extremity on your Swashbuckler.

It will cost 5*9*10GP, so 450GP to have an NPC caster do it.

That's pretty damn cheap.

Man I didn't realize that there were so many stump blade enthusiasts...

How the hell would I incorporate a hand of vecna?
Would a goddess come pimpslap someone if she found out they were wearing one of her apendages ?

Haha lich hand sounds cool. Any magical properties? If not it'd be cheaper just to restore it to normal.

The grafts sound interesting..... Too many things to do there.

Any cool demonic touch features you can think of? Say.....succubus hand ?

Thanks peeps! You're all crazy!!

-dove

JohnnyCancer
2014-03-04, 04:08 PM
I think I recall there being an item called a "Glove of Man," intended to give a critter with tentacles or some other non-hand appendage the use of a hand. It probably works on the end of a stump as well.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-03-04, 04:27 PM
There's some good stuff on artificial limbs in the pathfinder books, and the pages are them are online. Maybe you could take a look at them and see if the dm is okay with then too?

Defiled Cross
2014-03-04, 04:29 PM
The Hand of the Arch Lich.

:smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2014-03-04, 04:32 PM
Graft the head of Vecna onto the stump.

The Shadowdove
2014-03-04, 05:04 PM
Graft the head of Vecna onto the stump.

Where Would Everything The Newly Grafted Head-Arm Ate Go?

O.x

Zaq
2014-03-04, 05:09 PM
Glove full of bees.

CyberThread
2014-03-04, 06:32 PM
Seriously...

Stump blade from armor , crafts and equipment handbook . Is one of the biggest optimizer, for a crit based build, which a swashbuckler would benefit from .

Mr Adventurer
2014-03-04, 07:55 PM
I second glove full of bees, they're a Swashbuckler so they take their glove off to challenge someone to a duel and BAM! Faceful of bees. Perfect weapon.

Rubik
2014-03-04, 08:04 PM
I second glove full of bees, they're a Swashbuckler so they take their glove off to challenge someone to a duel and BAM! Faceful of bees. Perfect weapon.And they even make honey in their down-time.

Kaeso
2014-03-04, 09:57 PM
A cool and versatile option would be a sort of grooved metal "stump" that some custom made tools can be "screwed" on to. For combat, 'screw' on a dagger as an off hand weapon. For disabling traps or other fine work, a hook or needle. For jumping around, perhaps some kind of primitive spring part.

It would require a lot of money, a lot of creativity and some prep time (you need to know in advance what "hand" you'll need for the rest of the day) but it's cool and unique.

Darkweave31
2014-03-04, 09:59 PM
Take the renegade mastermaker prestige class!!!

Averis Vol
2014-03-04, 10:17 PM
If your player is of the good alignment, you could give them a modified Arm of Nyr. grants +2 to strength, +2 to dex and gives a +2 deflection bonus to AC for 12,800 gold.

if they are neutral it wont work, and if they're evil it deals 1d4 dex damage.

RedMage125
2014-03-05, 12:02 AM

I'm a fan of this one. And the old 2e Complete Book of Elves said that Elves have the ability to make artificial limbs, so...there's a precedent.

Rubik
2014-03-05, 12:22 AM
I'm a fan of this one. And the old 2e Complete Book of Elves said that Elves have the ability to make artificial limbs, so...there's a precedent.I read that as "Elvis" for a minute...

MadGreenSon
2014-03-05, 01:20 AM
I read that as "Elvis" for a minute...

We have no documentation on whether or not Elvis was capable of fashioning replacement limbs or not. :smallbiggrin:

However, I remember that bit about elves and replacement limbs too, drow had them as well. Must have been an elf thing in 2nd Ed.
Either way, we have rules for grafts, stump knives, Sovereign Glue, badgers, etc.
The question is; what can the character/party afford and get access to readily? If a stump knife is all you can do for now, that's dandy, but can the party access any of the other suggestions?

I'm genuinely curious, I had a player go Renegade Mastermaker in a game over a lost arm once.

kpumphre
2014-03-05, 02:30 AM
I read somewhere about Fish stump fish or something like that instead of stump knife

Sith_Happens
2014-03-05, 04:44 AM
I'm a fan of this one. And the old 2e Complete Book of Elves said that Elves have the ability to make artificial limbs, so...there's a precedent.

So you're saying she should glue a Mithral Clockwork Badger to her arm?:smalltongue:

The Shadowdove
2014-03-05, 04:45 AM
The question is; what can the character/party afford and get access to readily? If a stump knife is all you can do for now, that's dandy, but can the party access any of the other suggestions?

Sweetalk, threaten , or bribe the right person with some dungeon goods and anything seems possible.

Acquiring such a thing as a vecna hand or demonic body part is just a good excuse for some side questing and experience.

The whole party is likely to agree since a place that has a goddess hand stashed away probably has some other cool crap.

-dove

iceman10058
2014-03-05, 04:48 AM
id go with a hook hand, and a regular looking hand for rings and other magical items that may need it but no dexterity of the fingers to go with it, then get a bunch of other cool weapons and stuff u can screw on and off as attachments

hemming
2014-03-05, 04:49 AM
The easiest way to get the demonic flavor I think you are after is to go with a Fiendish graft or Undead graft

Some of these are pretty powerful and will be outside the partys wealth level, but you could always just use them for inspiration and homebrew the hand

SiuiS
2014-03-05, 05:02 AM
So if we put his head on the buckler's arm and replace her head with his hand... wait a minute that's not right.

Actually, that's good. But first, where are we going to get a spare sock and some googly eyes?

Glove full of bees.

Yes.

Goddess I hates that book. A full 5mm of "elves are just better, mmkay?". We had the most convoluted crap come from that book; the elven mafia, a player started organization that worked for the greater good of the Elven nation (of which there wasn't one...), who was a drow brainwashed by grey elves into being a willing servitor who had all four limbs replaced with mithril artificial limbs that had poison vessels, bolts, auto loading crossbows, poison manufactory sets, grappling hooks and magically refined rope in them.

The easiest way to get the demonic flavor I think you are after is to go with a Fiendish graft or Undead graft

Some of these are pretty powerful and will be outside the partys wealth level, but you could always just use them for inspiration and homebrew the hand

Actually, using the guidelines for creation can cut the cost for the graft phenomenally; down to 1/6th out of pocket. Maybe even less.

Suteinu
2014-03-07, 08:37 AM
I recall from 2nd AD&D that the drow have an affinity for adamantine grafts, fully articulate and all. This'd probably be 3.5ed as a golum graft of some sort, but I'm not sure where you'd find one that's adamantine.

That, and back then all the drow's really cool stuff would disentigrate over time when it left the Underdark. `Least it would in Faerun ...

albeaver89
2014-03-07, 08:46 AM
Does anyone have any good ideas for replacing the hand with something less stumpy?
-Dove

There is a magic item, I think in Savage Species, that is a glove that will replace a human hand.

Edit: Gloves of Man, page 57. They cost 42,000 gp give full dex and str to the new 'hand'. They act just like a real human hand.

Mutazoia
2014-03-07, 09:12 AM
There once was this warrior who had a similar problem. I think he did this at first:

http://images04.olx-st.com/ui/9/05/40/1291001647_142330540_3-Army-of-Darkness-18-Ash-Bruce-Campbell-McFarlane-Movie-14-Scale-Figure-Toys-Games-Hobbies-1291001647.jpg

and it was pretty groovy.

but eventually tried this:

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/army-of-darkness.jpg

Sith_Happens
2014-03-07, 09:48 AM
[Screen-stretching intensifies]

Rubik
2014-03-07, 08:30 PM
There once was this warrior who had a similar problem. I think he did this at first:

http://images04.olx-st.com/ui/9/05/40/1291001647_142330540_3-Army-of-Darkness-18-Ash-Bruce-Campbell-McFarlane-Movie-14-Scale-Figure-Toys-Games-Hobbies-1291001647.jpg

and it was pretty groovy.

but eventually tried this:

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/army-of-darkness.jpgYou realize that you made my screen three times the length it used to be, and I'm running on 1024 x 768, right? Also, you get marks against you for anything over 400 pixels, so you may want to spoiler that second image.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-07, 09:41 PM
You realize that you made my screen three times the length it used to be, and I'm running on 1024 x 768, right? Also, you get marks against you for anything over 400 pixels, so you may want to spoiler that second image.

Yeah seriously. Spoiler alert of Evil Dead 2 not all of us know that he looses his hand. AND spoilers for Army if Darkness when he gets a Robit Hand.

Mutazoia
2014-03-07, 10:08 PM
Yeah seriously. Spoiler alert of Evil Dead 2 not all of us know that he looses his hand. AND spoilers for Army if Darkness when he gets a Robit Hand.

meh....you can't cry spoiler after 20+ years

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-07, 10:18 PM
meh....you can't cry spoiler after 20+ years

Hehe maybe not.

Chadamantium
2014-03-08, 12:34 AM
If you're good, just cut off the rest of the arm and get yourself an Arm of Nyr from defender of the faith. If not, crossbow hand.

I keep telling people that if i lose a hand i would have gnomes build me a mechanical arm the has a built in repeating crossbow.

The Shadowdove
2014-03-08, 01:09 AM
If you're good, just cut off the rest of the arm and get yourself an Arm of Nyr from defender of the faith. If not, crossbow hand.

I keep telling people that if i lose a hand i would have gnomes build me a mechanical arm the has a built in repeating crossbow.

Prearrange The Arm ... Let Them Keep ThE Arm For Experiments As Payment.

atemu1234
2014-03-08, 01:21 AM
I remember a human in one of the sourcebooks- the one the pact-mages- whose class name I cannot remember for the life of me- came from- had his hand replaced with a rapier after it was cut off in a duel. Look into a that. Granted, it'd be a weapon designed for an abnormal creature, so it'd cost 1.5x or 2x the normal amount, but imagine an adamantine rapier hand. Badass.

Averis Vol
2014-03-08, 02:19 AM
I remember a human in one of the sourcebooks- the one the pact-mages- whose class name I cannot remember for the life of me- came from- had his hand replaced with a rapier after it was cut off in a duel. Look into a that. Granted, it'd be a weapon designed for an abnormal creature, so it'd cost 1.5x or 2x the normal amount, but imagine an adamantine rapier hand. Badass.

That would be paimon. He also had his other hand and both his legs cut off and replaced, so dont try to emulate him too much :smallbiggrin:

MadGreenSon
2014-03-08, 02:40 AM
That would be paimon. He also had his other hand and both his legs cut off and replaced, so dont try to emulate him too much :smallbiggrin:

Yeah... Paimon just didn't know when to quit.
Rapier hand? Awesome.
Rapier everything? Too much, man, just too much.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Quick thought, the dragon Ashardalon replaced his heart as it was destroyed by binding a Balor to be his heart. Could a fiend of some kind be bound to create a replacement hand? What would you use? I'm thinking Chain Devil myself.

Aerlock
2014-03-10, 11:00 AM
You could also track down an Arm of Nyr (from Defenders of the Faith) It gives you a +2 bonus to DEX, STR and AC for a pretty decent price.

- Aerlock

EDIT: Wow! I totally missed the second page of this thread somehow. And I see that the Arm of Nyr was suggested not once but twice before me.

If your player is of the good alignment, you could give them a modified Arm of Nyr. grants +2 to strength, +2 to dex and gives a +2 deflection bonus to AC for 12,800 gold.

if they are neutral it wont work, and if they're evil it deals 1d4 dex damage.