PDA

View Full Version : Things you can do with a DC 20 craft check

Captnq
2014-03-04, 09:27 AM
Okay, here's the question:

Any complex mechanical device requires a DC 20 to make.

Gnome quickrazor. Cool Huh? Why not remove the blade and add a spell component pouch? Or a Wand? Or Something.

You have a hidden elbow blade. Why not a hidden Elbow wand?

Grasping Shield: Non-magical spikes that let you grapple with your shield.

That's what I'm looking for. If you ever came across a weird non-magical device in any book that jumped out at you and you thought, Hey, I wonder if I could... Post it up and the source please. The idea as well would be cool, but I'm looking for anything that falls under a crafting roll.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-04, 09:36 AM
Gnome quickrazor. Cool Huh? Why not remove the blade and add a spell component pouch? Or a Wand? Or Something.

- Within the realm of possible DM allowance. A DC 20 craft check seems right, and likely requires it's own prof feat to use.

You have a hidden elbow blade. Why not a hidden Elbow wand?

- You mean a hidden elbow blade with a wand chamber? Totally possible, check the craft DC in the book.

Grasping Shield: Non-magical spikes that let you grapple with your shield.

- Again, within the realm of possible, but strayed off the path and into custom exotic weapons areas.

Captnq
2014-03-04, 09:41 AM
Ah. I need to clarify. I don't need RAW here.

If an idea ever popped into your head, if you ever saw a mechanical device ANYWHERE in any book that said to you, "That's odd." I'd like to know. I'll handle the extrapolation, I'm just looking for ideas.

Captnq
2014-03-04, 09:52 AM
Here's an example.

Stump knife: Against foes to whom you have dealt damage during a continuous melee, the stump knife’s threat range is doubled. It's a mechanical effect of having your hand cut off and replaced with a blade.

Okay, so why not the stump rapier? instead of doubling 19-20 range. Double 18-20.

I'm thinking of putting together a handbook. The title is going to be:

PUSHING IT: A handbook for combinations that should not exist.

Basically the goal is to have your DM look at you sideways with one squinting eye and say, "Well... Yeah... I SUPPOSE that could work..."

Deophaun
2014-03-04, 10:18 AM
- You mean a hidden elbow blade with a wand chamber? Totally possible, check the craft DC in the book.
By RAW, it's not. Wand chambers are only for shield edges and weapon handles. Elbow blades have neither.

Captnq
2014-03-04, 10:19 AM
Ooo! The Stump Alchemy Blade! What could be more fun then the knife where your hand should be BURSTING into FLAMES?

Wicker Platemail!

Enchanted Barbed Wire!

Dwarven Brewmaker modified to make poisons!

Animated Portable Crane!

Animated Grappling Hooks for your Grappling crossbow launcher to automatically secure themselves!

The Heatmat is not suitable for clothing, but how about the heat tent? Animated Object on a heat Tent so it carries you through a hot area?

Music Boxes modified to be timers.

Animated Spider polls combined with a grappling ladder.

Gotta be something to do with Stilts. Animated stilts that handle movement for you like a mount?

Winch/Jaws of life

A miner's helmet with a light source, then a thieves helmet combined for the extra bonus to listen checks. However, it comes with flaps. You have it animated so it can turn off the light or cover your ears, or cover your eyes as a free action. Helping to protect you from Sonic based mind-control, gaze attacks, and makes it easy to turn off your light.

That's sort of what i'm looking for.

Vogonjeltz
2014-03-04, 10:23 AM
By RAW, it's not. Wand chambers are only for shield edges and weapon handles. Elbow blades have neither.

Also exotic weapons have a different DC, don't they? It is a weaponsmithing DC 18 check, and a DC 20 check to make it masterwork.

What can be made depends on the applied skill.