PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Questions On Warlocks

Gamereaper
2014-03-04, 09:57 AM
I'm making an NPC that is a Warlock/Rogue combination. He's like an elite strike force dude.

I plan on making his strategy be "go invisible, Eldritch Blast+nonlethal substitution, nonlethal sneak attack damage".

Do Metamagic feats work with their Eldritch Blasts?

Is there anything that mixes Rogue and Warlock, if not something that mixes Arcane+Rogue?

Crake
2014-03-04, 10:01 AM
I'm making an NPC that is a Warlock/Rogue combination. He's like an elite strike force dude.

I plan on making his strategy be "go invisible, Eldritch Blast+nonlethal substitution, nonlethal sneak attack damage".

Is there anything that mixes Rogue and Warlock, if not something that mixes Arcane+Rogue?

I don't believe you can use metamagic on invocations/eldritch blast. There is the arcane trickster, and i think perhaps spellwarp sniper if you can qualify using invocation level as spell level.

AmberVael
2014-03-04, 10:06 AM
No. An Eldritch Blast is a spell-like ability, and therefore cannot be used with metamagic. You can, however, use it with the Sudden Metamagic feats (which are specified to work with spell-likes on page 71 of complete arcane) and the various spell-like ability metamagic feats (like quicken spell-like ability).

Silentone98
2014-03-04, 10:11 AM
whatever happened to "Empower Spell Like ability" and such?

only usable 3 times per day,.. but has no added cost like the metamagic versions with spell slots.

EDIT: nm,... AmberVael did mention it. lol

I had a warlock once, as one of my beginning characters... had Empower/Quicken/Maximize spell like ability for eldritch blast.

I was just waiting to be able to pick up Eldritch sculptor...
The DM got very pissy with me because of the vitriolic blast thingy bypassing SR,... and the easy ranged touch attacks....
Bringing up the epic level feats didn't sit well with him >.>

nedz
2014-03-04, 10:24 AM
I think that you can also use Metamagics which don't alter the spell level. Now there aren't many of these: Invisible Spell and Energy Substitution maybe ?

As well as the Meta SLA feats from the Monster Manual, some of which have already been mentioned. Empower Spell-Like Ability, Quicken Spell-Like Ability

Boost Spell-Like Ability ( Book of Vile Darkness p47) though you may as well use Ability Focus
Consecrate Spell-Like Ability ( Book of Exalted Deeds p42 )
Corrupt Spell-Like Ability ( Book of Vile Darkness p48 )
Heighten Spell-like ability ( Complete Arcane p80 )
Purify Spell-like Ability ( Book of Exalted Deeds p45 )
Violate Spell-Like Ability ( Book of Vile Darkness p50 )
Maximize Spell-like Ability ( Complete Arcane p81 )

All of these are 3/day

Also the Sudden metamagics — already mentioned

Gamereaper
2014-03-04, 10:27 AM
Is there one that makes the Eldritch Blast nonlethal?

prufock
2014-03-04, 10:39 AM
Boost Spell-Like Ability ( Book of Vile Darkness p47) though you may as well use Ability Focus
Why not both? I like BSLA because it applies to each SLA 3 times per day, meaning you can apply it to your invocations on the fly. AF on the other hand only applies to one SLA that you choose when you take it. Also, they stack, so there's no reason not to grab both if you're using a build that relies on save DCs.

nedz
2014-03-04, 10:50 AM
Is there one that makes the Eldritch Blast nonlethal?
Purify Spell-like Ability does half damage to Neutral and no damage to Good.

Why not both? I like BSLA because it applies to each SLA 3 times per day, meaning you can apply it to your invocations on the fly. AF on the other hand only applies to one SLA that you choose when you take it. Also, they stack, so there's no reason not to grab both if you're using a build that relies on save DCs.

BSLA only applies to one SLA too, it's also 3.0, and 3/day.
AF has no usage limits and so is better value.
Either can be applied to Eldritch Blast if you are looking to boost Essences.
I don't think that there is any reason why you couldn't take both, the bonuses appear to be untyped.

Gamereaper
2014-03-04, 10:54 AM
Purify Spell-like Ability does half damage to Neutral and no damage to Good.

Fair enough, I suppose that will work.

Actually, that won't work. He needs to be evil.

prufock
2014-03-04, 07:52 PM
BSLA only applies to one SLA too, it's also 3.0, and 3/day.
Not so.

Each of a creature's spell-like abilities can be boosted three times per day
Emphasis added, the text is quite clear that you can boost each SLA 3 times a day, and you can take it multiple times to get +3 uses per day each time. As far as I can tell (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a) there is no 3.5 update or errata for BoVD either.

Deadline
2014-03-04, 07:56 PM
Since Eldritch Blast is a weapon-like spell, can't you just take a -4 penalty to hit in order to deal non-lethal damage, like you can with regular weapons?

And since it is a touch attack, it should still be super easy to hit.

Kane0
2014-03-04, 08:04 PM
In theory you could also 'pull' it using the same rules as in Complete Arcane.

Crake
2014-03-04, 10:06 PM
Since Eldritch Blast is a weapon-like spell, can't you just take a -4 penalty to hit in order to deal non-lethal damage, like you can with regular weapons?

And since it is a touch attack, it should still be super easy to hit.

In theory you could also 'pull' it using the same rules as in Complete Arcane.

its worth noting that these combinations wouldnt work with sneak attack, since you cant deal nonlethal sneak attack damage with a lethal weapon.

AlchemicalMyst
2014-03-04, 10:14 PM
Is there one that makes the Eldritch Blast nonlethal?There are, honestly, endless topics on this already. It's always the same:

Talk with your GM about using Merciful Spell from Pathfinder with your Eldritch Blasts. Either as a Metamagic feat (will replace Nonlethal Substitution then) or an Invocation.

Nonlethal substitution in D&D used to have no level change but in 3.5 for some reason made it go up a level. Most GMs I've played with have that in their list of things house-ruled every campaign.