PDA

View Full Version : Magic item creation at character creation.

Jgosse
2014-03-04, 02:06 PM
So I seem to remember something regarding item creation feats allowing you to consider items as less expensive during character creation at higher levels. Is that true and what was the ruling?

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-04, 02:38 PM
You can craft the items you are using. In pathfinder this is normal, and many DM's cap it at a % of your starting wealth to keep you from having 2X wealth of items to start with.

In 3.5, your DM may let you sell your last level to get EXP for crafting during character creation. You start at 1 lower level, but with much better gear.

deuxhero
2014-03-04, 02:43 PM
You don't even need to be starting at a high level for this. Craft skills can reduce the prices on your mundane gear at level 1, letting you get many otherwise off limit items.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-04, 02:45 PM
Yes, mundane crafting is great for that. Adi platemail for 1/3rd the price is very nice. It's the only time it's worth the cost.

Jgosse
2014-03-04, 02:50 PM
You can craft the items you are using. In pathfinder this is normal, and many DM's cap it at a % of your starting wealth to keep you from having 2X wealth of items to start with.

In 3.5, your DM may let you sell your last level to get EXP for crafting during character creation. You start at 1 lower level, but with much better gear.

ok now in this case I am the dm and I am trying to over gear a npc as both a treasure boon for my party and as an extra challenge. so I was considering burning 2 feats on item creation to give a reason for him being over geared. I was just hoping there was something in RAW to back this up.

Fouredged Sword
2014-03-04, 02:54 PM
RAW, as DM you can give him anything you want. RAW, crafting is a great way to boost a character's wealth, and RIA, eating two of his feats will help balance him to not be overpowered by the extra gear. Seems like a good way to go about it.

Jgosse
2014-03-04, 03:02 PM
RAW, as DM you can give him anything you want. RAW, crafting is a great way to boost a character's wealth, and RIA, eating two of his feats will help balance him to not be overpowered by the extra gear. Seems like a good way to go about it.

sounds good then. thank you.