PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Any good +1 LA race/template for a warlock

Ketiara
2014-03-04, 02:25 PM
...if its free.

My player is a newbie and need to keep it simple. So to begin with he is a eldrich spear wielder level 5 and will probably try a few different invocations before settling. (ive allowed him to retrain when he wants (within reason) to test the class)

If he becomes a silverbrow human, wich is my initial plan, he wont have chosen the +1LA template/race (free) like the rest of the party, but I dont know what he should pick that would help him out. I would prefer not to confer to dragon mags, but its open of course.

The Cat Goddess
2014-03-04, 02:36 PM
...if its free.

My player is a newbie and need to keep it simple. So to begin with he is a eldrich spear wielder level 5 and will probably try a few different invocations before settling. (ive allowed him to retrain when he wants (within reason) to test the class)

If he becomes a silverbrow human, wich is my initial plan, he wont have chosen the +1LA template/race (free) like the rest of the party, but I dont know what he should pick that would help him out. I would prefer not to confer to dragon mags, but its open of course.

Aasimar. You cannot underestimate the value of Outsider (Native). The +2 Wis is meh, but the +2 Cha helps the Warlock's invocations that require saves.

Tiefling is more appropriate, and the +2 Int helps skill points while the +2 Dex helps to hit & AC... but the -2 Cha is a bummer.

Let's not forget the free energy resistances & 2nd level spellcasting which, depending on the GM (you, I assume?) can get him early entry into PrCs.

Ketiara
2014-03-04, 02:45 PM
Aasimar. You cannot underestimate the value of Outsider (Native). The +2 Wis is meh, but the +2 Cha helps the Warlock's invocations that require saves.

Tiefling is more appropriate, and the +2 Int helps skill points while the +2 Dex helps to hit & AC... but the -2 Cha is a bummer.

Let's not forget the free energy resistances & 2nd level spellcasting which, depending on the GM (you, I assume?) can get him early entry into PrCs.

Good choices, we already have an assimar in the group, and for fluff I would like them to be of very diffrent races. I have assimar, catfolk, half-minotaur.

But ill deffo consider the thiefling

Psyren
2014-03-04, 02:57 PM
You could go with Drow, which gets you into the interesting Demonbinder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3) Warlock PrC, and then combo that with Hellfire Warlock and Binder.

Red Fel
2014-03-04, 03:04 PM
I'll just leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252715) here. There's a list of some very solid choices for Warlock race, although none have LA. Admittedly, two solid options (Tibbit and updated Hengeyokai) are from Dragon Magazine/Comp, and lack an LA, but they're still solid choices for a reason. Spellscale is also a nice option - bonus to Cha, penalty to Con, and Dragonblood subtype.

With regard to LA +1 races, I'll leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189980) here as well. Catfolk (RotW) is a fun choice, but you've already got one of those. Feytouched (FF) is also an option, getting you bonuses to Dex and Cha and a penalty to Con, plus some Fey goodies. This is particularly good for non-Evil Warlocks, who may theoretically draw their powers from "chaotic" or "Fey" sources, instead of Abyssal ones. Mephlings (of various elements) are also fun options.

Finally, you could consider an LA +0 race, with an LA +1 template. I'll leave this (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1117261) here. The Dark Creature template (ToM) doesn't necessarily synergize with Warlock, but it's incredibly useful and really flavorful. The Divine Minion template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a), when used for a lion, baboon, cow, crocodile, snake, or hawk alternate form is +1 LA, and carries with it a similar advantage to those of Hengeyokai and Tibbit.

Ketiara
2014-03-04, 03:05 PM
You could go with Drow, which gets you into the interesting Demonbinder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3) Warlock PrC, and then combo that with Hellfire Warlock and Binder.

yea but it has to be +1 im afraid

Grod_The_Giant
2014-03-04, 04:07 PM
Unseelie Fey? It's pretty thematic for a warlock, methinks, and gives you wings, bonuses to Dex and Cha, DR/Cold Iron, and a supernatural power of some sort, all of which are pretty nice. It's from Dragon 304, and it's also in the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Socratov
2014-03-04, 04:38 PM

quote a good option, if not very flavourful. So... Pump CHA and go Warlock 6/Binder 1/Demonbinder 3/Hellfire Warlock 3/Demonbinder 7 (ECL20). INvoker lvl 18, great classfeatures to buff/augment. You won't win any damage competitions, but whoah boy, have you got flavour. The build will roleplay like a stack of bacon. The only thing missing is a male drow cohort to indulge on your every whim and you're set.

BTW, you can exchange 1 level of warlock for an extra level of binder to suppress your binder's signs and to reinforce your pacts. This is very appropriate for powerhungry drow

Malroth
2014-03-04, 05:27 PM
Half giant with the Primordial Giant template so they're elgible for the worlds smallest giant trick, permanent undispellable fine or smaller size is great for a warlock.

Thurbane
2014-03-04, 05:27 PM
Catfolk for 40 ft move, +2 Cha and +4 Dex.
Dvati if the DM will let you use two Eldritch Blasts per round.
Jaebrin (-2 Str, +2 Cha) isn't bad either.

SinsI
2014-03-04, 05:47 PM
Use some +1 LA template for Human or Changeling, so that he still qualifies for a 2-level Chameleon dip (floating feat is great for a warlock).
Just don't forget to take Able Learner

I kinda like draconic(Races of the Dragon): +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Cha, +1 Natural Armor, darkvision 60ft/low-light vision, +2 Spot check (and Intimidate), two claw attacks, some minor save bonuses.

Chronos
2014-03-04, 06:06 PM
It looks like that Demonbinder class doesn't advance your eldritch blast. It also doesn't advance your caster level, which will be problematic once spell resistance starts showing up. I'm not sure that's a good trade for being able to spend a full-round action to gain some temporary HP for 10 rounds and assorted other minor benefits.

Zweisteine
2014-03-04, 08:49 PM
Level 1 half-fey! (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) Or feytouched!

Spammable charm person!

Fax Celestis
2014-03-04, 08:51 PM
Draconic creature from Draconomicon might fit the bill. Also thematically appropriate with Silverbrow Human.

+1 natural armor, two claw attacks (1d2 small/1d3 medium), low-light vision, darkvision 60', +4 vs sleep and paralysis, +2 Str, +2 Cha, +2 Intimidate, +2 Spot.

Cog
2014-03-04, 09:34 PM
yea but it has to be +1 im afraid
Drow isn't nearly worth +2 LA. +1 is pretty reasonable, especially if one of the other +1s already in the game is half-Minotaur.

Socratov
2014-03-05, 11:48 AM
It looks like that Demonbinder class doesn't advance your eldritch blast. It also doesn't advance your caster level, which will be problematic once spell resistance starts showing up. I'm not sure that's a good trade for being able to spend a full-round action to gain some temporary HP for 10 rounds and assorted other minor benefits.

it advances invoking and thus it does according to Complete arcane

Red Fel
2014-03-05, 12:15 PM
it advances invoking and thus it does according to Complete arcane

According to the class description, "At each level above 1st, you gain new invocations as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not gain any other benefits a warlock would have otherwise gained." (Emphasis added.)

So, it grants new invocations, but doesn't grant upgraded EB damage. Contrast that with other classes that advance invocations.

At each level, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with eldritch blast, and an increase in invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class.

At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. (This includes eldritch blast.)

At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. (This includes eldritch blast.)

Note that all three explicitly call out EB, and mention increased caster/invoker level. Demonbinder does not; in fact, it explicitly says otherwise.

Psyren
2014-03-05, 12:58 PM
Yeah, it looks like Demonbinder doesn't advance Eldritch Blast at all. Huh.

They even call it out specifically later in the article:

As you advance, you should invest in feats that improve your eldritch blast ability. Since the demonbinder class does not improve the amount of damage you deal, feats such as Ability Focus (eldritch blast) and Weapon Focus (eldritch blast), as well as Maximize Spell-Like Ability and Heighten Spell-Like Ability, make it harder for foes to resist this vital component of your arsenal.

Also I'm not sure they understand exactly what Ability Focus does. Ugh, never mind.

JBarca
2014-03-05, 01:00 PM
Athasian Human is my go-to Warlock race.
+1LA, normal Human traits, PLUS +2 to (1 or 2 abilities, I don't recall), PLUS some minor Psionics.
Humans are great at everything, these guys moreso.

Ketiara
2014-03-05, 02:28 PM
Athasian Human is my go-to Warlock race.
+1LA, normal Human traits, PLUS +2 to (1 or 2 abilities, I don't recall), PLUS some minor Psionics.
Humans are great at everything, these guys moreso.

Where do i find this template?

Urpriest
2014-03-05, 03:56 PM
Where do i find this template?

It's not a template, it's a subrace of humans. It's from the Dragon issue that updated Dark Sun, I don't remember which off-hand.

Ketiara
2014-03-05, 04:49 PM
It's not a template, it's a subrace of humans. It's from the Dragon issue that updated Dark Sun, I don't remember which off-hand.

yea I found it now, dragon mag #319

this subrace gets some minor psionic power. A 1-lvl wilder/psion power along with 3 powerpoints.
and 2x2 ability points.

But what power should I pick? an easy but versatile or cool power. Any suggestions?

CyberThread
2014-03-05, 08:32 PM
Let's do something different.

Air goblin

Urpriest
2014-03-05, 09:25 PM
yea I found it now, dragon mag #319

this subrace gets some minor psionic power. A 1-lvl wilder/psion power along with 3 powerpoints.
and 2x2 ability points.

But what power should I pick? an easy but versatile or cool power. Any suggestions?

Vigor is quite nice. Control Light can encourage the character to do stuff with darkness. Psionic Grease is pretty versatile.

Let's do something different.

Air goblin

Doesn't have LA.

CyberThread
2014-03-05, 09:29 PM
Vigor is quite nice. Control Light can encourage the character to do stuff with darkness. Psionic Grease is pretty versatile.

Doesn't have LA.

Necropolitan primordial magic in the blood fire eneako from a place to qualify for dreadful wrath

eastmabl
2014-03-05, 11:25 PM
Regardling the tiefling -

if you look through the Warlock Handbook linked beforehand, a good Charisma score is not necessary or even required for a Warlock. Charisma effects the warlock's DCs for invocations and their UMD check, but not the level of invocations the warlock gains access to. With a proper selection of invocations, a warlock could conceivably have a Charisma 3.