PDA

View Full Version : (d&d)shield and throwing weapon build?

The Shadowdove
2014-03-04, 04:45 PM
Our fighter died and is tired of giant swords and axes.

He'd like to use some form of throwing weapon while still being able to tank in melee.

Our first idea was just a throwing spear of some sort and a shield. Pure fighter makes sense for this still. I guess 300 style would be a good example. Except he'd have to carry around a big quiver of the things/be able to craft more.

1)What kind of feats are necessary for a throwing weapon focused meleer?

2)What kind of melee/throwing weapons are there?

3)Why do short spears and javelins have such low damage? Alternatives?

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but prestige classes and feats from any published D&D book are acceptable we're told.

The idea is to pump as much damage as possible while still using a shield. Primarily to have fun though ! Its too easy to grab a greatsword or battle Axe and go to town.

Please share your superior knowledge and experience !

Much appreciate in advanced,

-Dove

Srasy
2014-03-04, 05:09 PM
I think there are 3 real options
1- Hulking Hurler
You get lots of strength and con and throw big things at people maybe a giant returning shield with the sizing enhancement?
2- Bloodstorm Blade
You throw things and can use maneuvers with them so its basically being melee from range if you do this try to get the boomerang feats and get aptitude on your weapon so you can daze a whole room
3- Swift hunter
Get the gauntlet I think of force javelins or what ever its called and run around the map throwing multiple javelins a round with the right feat chain

shylocke
2014-03-04, 05:54 PM
Iirc complete warrior and draw of under dark both have shield specialty feat lines. You can forgo an actual weapon and go dual shields and still be able to throw them.

Silentone98
2014-03-04, 06:38 PM
Shield sling, players handbook 2, page 82

possibly alongside Srasy's suggestion of Hulking Hurler... or not? idk... might make eachother redundant.