PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Hunter

Hawkflight
2014-03-04, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone. I'm going to be playing in a 4e game soon, and I was wondering if anyone ever made a Hybrid version of the Ranger subclass Hunter?

GPuzzle
2014-03-04, 08:09 PM
Uhm... Not really. You can come to something close with a mix of the Seeker and the Ranger with Hobbling Shot, World Serpent's Grasp and Twin Strike, plus RBAs from the Seeker and Spitting Cobra's Stance, but it isn't the same thing, isn't it?

Hawkflight
2014-03-04, 08:16 PM
Eh, I was more hoping to get the Clever Shot and Rapid Shot powers.

Waddacku
2014-03-05, 06:49 AM
There's a feat to trade a Ranger at-will for one of the Hunter ones. Doubt you can get two, though.

Inevitability
2014-03-05, 11:05 AM
There's a way to get two, but it is... pretty difficult.

First, start with any class that isn't ranger. Your race has to be (revenant) half-elf. You dilettante power is a ranger power.
Second, multiclass ranger, and pick all the power-swap feats, enabling you to paragon multiclass.
Third, pick the feat mentioned above, and swap your dilettante power for... say, clever shot.
Forth, once you reach level 11, paragon multiclass into ranger. Swap one of your at-wills with 'an at-will power from the class you paragon multiclass into', or in this case, rapid shot.

You now have both powers. Expect your DM to rule that paragon multiclass doesn't work that way, though. In general, you don't gain much from this, while you have to sacrifice a lot of power.

Hawkflight
2014-03-05, 12:49 PM
....I was thinking of just doing a hybrid Hunter/Seeker....

Yakk
2014-03-05, 02:39 PM
Sure, but there are no hybrid rules for Hunters, so you cannot do that, unless you homebrew a hybrid hunter and your DM is ok with it.

Hawkflight
2014-03-05, 02:43 PM
Sure, but there are no hybrid rules for Hunters, so you cannot do that, unless you homebrew a hybrid hunter and your DM is ok with it.

My DM's fine with homebrew, I was just wondering if anyone else has homebrewed it. This is my very first time playing 4e, so I have no idea how to homebrew something like this.

GPuzzle
2014-03-05, 02:48 PM
Very first time playing 4e? Sorry, don't think Hybrids are going to be a good choice. Almost everyone screws up badly when making one of them...

Mando Knight
2014-03-05, 02:56 PM
First, start with any class that isn't ranger. Your race has to be (revenant) half-elf. You dilettante power is a ranger power.

You can't grab the Hunter stances with Dilettante. It needs to be a level 1 at-will attack power.

Inevitability
2014-03-05, 03:43 PM
Right, and with the feat mentioned here:

There's a feat to trade a Ranger at-will for one of the Hunter ones.

You get to swap it for a hunter at-will.

Mando Knight
2014-03-05, 05:29 PM
Oh, right. Use the worst, least-supported feature in the game, then (Paragon Multiclassing) to then get the second one since no one bothered updating its language (since who would Paragon Multiclass when they could get actual Paragon Path features?) like Dilettante...

...And you're using feats to replace Twin Strike with Rapid Shot, so there's that.

Cloud
2014-03-05, 07:49 PM
...To be perfectly honest, if you're not comfortable enough to homebrew your own hybrid rules for the Hunter, you don't understand 4e enough to make a hybrid. So yeah...I'd really, really advise you don't use what I'm about to post. >.>

Class Traits
Role: Controller
Power Source: Martial and Primal
Key Abilities: Dexterity, Wisdom
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged. military ranged
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude or Reflex
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6
Hit Points per Level Gained: 2.5
Healing Surges per Day: 3
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex)
Extra Trained Skill: Choose an extra trained skill from the class skills list above.
Class Features: Archery Style, Disruptive Shot (hybrid), Expert Archery (hybrid)
Hybrid Talent Options: Aspects of the Wild (Hunter), Ranger Wilderness Knacks

Archery Style: As Hunter.
Disruptive Shot (hybrid): As Hunter, but if you take it at level 1 it counts as your encounter power. You do not have to take this feature at level 1, but if you don't you must take it at level 3, counting as your encounter power choice for that level. You do not automatically gain a second use of this power, but at any level you'd normally gain an encounter power you may give it up for an additional use of this power, to a maximum of twice per encounter. (Basically, follow the normal encounter power rules for hybrids, this power being the encounter power for the Hunter, which you can take up to twice.) This feature includes gaining Improved Disruptive Shot at level 13.
Expert Archery (hybrid): As standard, but only pick one power. This counts as your 1 at-will for this hybrid choice. (Note: If you're a human, your 3rd at-will can be a second choice from here.)

Hybrid Talent Options
Aspects of the Wild (Hunter): As the Hunter, including the features from leveling up that grant additional aspects.
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: As the Hunter, including the features from leveling up that grant additional knacks.

I think that covers most of it...for Utility powers, pick them as you usually would for hybrids for the two classes. Gain the feature Resolute Hunter if your level 27 Encounter Choice is being taken up by Disruptive Shot, and gain Peerless Perception if your level 23 Encounter Choice is being taken up by Disruptive Shot. You can never gain Reactive Shift. ...And now Daily Powers and the rest of the features, joy. Basically, treat Weapon Talent, Weapon Mastery, Close Combat Archery, Paragon Weapon Mastery, Epic Weapon Mastery, and Epic Accuracy as Daily Powers, and pick between them or Daily Powers from your other hybrid choice as you normally would.

I have no idea how balanced that is, hybrid in an hour yay.

Hawkflight
2014-03-05, 08:48 PM
...To be perfectly honest, if you're not comfortable enough to homebrew your own hybrid rules for the Hunter, you don't understand 4e enough to make a hybrid. So yeah...I'd really, really advise you don't use what I'm about to post. >.>

Class Traits
Role: Controller
Power Source: Martial and Primal
Key Abilities: Dexterity, Wisdom
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged. military ranged
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude or Reflex
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6
Hit Points per Level Gained: 2.5
Healing Surges per Day: 3
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex)
Extra Trained Skill: Choose an extra trained skill from the class skills list above.
Class Features: Archery Style, Disruptive Shot (hybrid), Expert Archery (hybrid)
Hybrid Talent Options: Aspects of the Wild (Hunter), Ranger Wilderness Knacks

Archery Style: As Hunter.
Disruptive Shot (hybrid): As Hunter, but if you take it at level 1 it counts as your encounter power. You do not have to take this feature at level 1, but if you don't you must take it at level 3, counting as your encounter power choice for that level. You do not automatically gain a second use of this power, but at any level you'd normally gain an encounter power you may give it up for an additional use of this power, to a maximum of twice per encounter. (Basically, follow the normal encounter power rules for hybrids, this power being the encounter power for the Hunter, which you can take up to twice.) This feature includes gaining Improved Disruptive Shot at level 13.
Expert Archery (hybrid): As standard, but only pick one power. This counts as your 1 at-will for this hybrid choice. (Note: If you're a human, your 3rd at-will can be a second choice from here.)

Hybrid Talent Options
Aspects of the Wild (Hunter): As the Hunter, including the features from leveling up that grant additional aspects.
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: As the Hunter, including the features from leveling up that grant additional knacks.

I think that covers most of it...for Utility powers, pick them as you usually would for hybrids for the two classes. Gain the feature Resolute Hunter if your level 27 Encounter Choice is being taken up by Disruptive Shot, and gain Peerless Perception if your level 23 Encounter Choice is being taken up by Disruptive Shot. You can never gain Reactive Shift. ...And now Daily Powers and the rest of the features, joy. Basically, treat Weapon Talent, Weapon Mastery, Close Combat Archery, Paragon Weapon Mastery, Epic Weapon Mastery, and Epic Accuracy as Daily Powers, and pick between them or Daily Powers from your other hybrid choice as you normally would.

I have no idea how balanced that is, hybrid in an hour yay.

Thanks! And for the record, it's probably not going to get very far into Paragon tier, if at all.

Cloud
2014-03-05, 09:03 PM
You're welcome. Balance wise the Hybrid Talent options are probably too good...but how I made daily powers work is honestly pretty awful and I wish I had a better thing in mind for it, so I guess it sort of works out. ^^" (As is I imagine only Weapon Talent will be picked, and then two real daily powers from the other class.)

Hawkflight
2014-03-08, 12:44 AM
Question. In the same vein, does this seem balanced as a multiclass Hunter feat?

Acolyte of the Hunt
[Multiclass Hunter]
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in one class skill from the Hunter's class skill list.
Once per day. you can use the Hunter's 'Disruptive Shot' power.
Choose one of the Hunter's 'Expert Shot' powers (Aimed Shot, Clever Shot, or Rapid Shot). You can use that power once per encounter.

Inevitability
2014-03-08, 01:14 AM
Most multiclass feats either give you one encounter power once per day or, in the case of controllers, one at-will power once per encounter.
Disruptive shot is also a bit to strong to give away with a multiclass feat, so I'd take it away.

This would in my opinion be a better version:

Acolyte of the Hunt
[Multiclass Hunter]
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in one class skill from the Hunter's class skill list.
Choose one of the Hunter's 'Expert Shot' powers (Aimed Shot, Clever Shot, or Rapid Shot). You can use that power once per encounter.

Cloud
2014-03-08, 01:22 AM
Well, in the grand scheme of things, Disruptive Shot is the Hunter's encounter powers gained from levels, and the Expert Shot powers their at-wills. Multiclass feats generally give limited access to class features instead, so it should probably give it a knack, or maybe a daily version of one of their aspects. (Making it an encounter if they only got one probably isn't that unbalanced either, but the difference between at-will and encounter for a stance...)

Most DMs though if they're letting you make a multiclass feat should also allow you to use the encounter powerswap multiclass feat to swap an encounter power for disruptive shot I guess, and you should be allowed to paragon multiclass to get a Clever Shot power.

Edit: Wow, totally missed the feats that give out an at-will as an encounter power. ...Controllers really need features that scream control, huh. >.> Anyway, yeah, that makes version Dire Stirge posted the one I'd suggest too.