PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [Monsters, PEACH] Creatures of the Sanguine Realm

Haluesen
2014-03-04, 09:43 PM
Hello, mysterious reader. :smallsmile: I am Haluesen, and this is my second bit of homebrew on these boards. So, while working on my first major creation, I see that there is a lot more I need to put into this. And so right now I am making some monsters that spawn from the world of the very important deity tied to that class. And if someone else comes and sees these and decides that they will make good challenges for his or her campaign, then all the better!

I must note though that I am making these monsters to the standards of the games that I am used to playing and running in, where standard monsters from the Monster Manuals are usually not a great challenge for a group of PC's of equal level. I do not know how they will stand up to standard expectations or the gaming ways of others. So, let's just see where this goes, shall we? This will be a work in progress for some time, so keep checking in to see what I add!

Bloodhound
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (84 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (+5 Dex, +5 natural); touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+11
Attack: bite +13 (1d6+4)
Full Attack: bite +13 (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: blood healing, trip
Special Qualities: scent, darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, DR 4/bludgeoning, SR 13
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 21, Con 21, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills: Survival +6*, Listen +4, Spot +4.
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Track, Improved Initiative
Organization: Solitary or pack (7-16)
Challenge Rating: 5
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement: 9-16 HD (Large), 17-24 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: ---

This beast looks much like a normal wolf, if it weren't for its deep red coat and somewhat slimy appearance, as though its fur was always shifting and moving. Its eyes though are deep black like onyxes and shimmer in the moonlight.

Bloodhounds are fairly common in the Sanguine Realm as pets of the souls there and of Elve'har himself. Though their name is something of a pun, it is mostly just a straight-forward name for what they represent.

Combat
Like a well-trained dog, bloodhounds fight by biting at foes targeted by their owner. They are very tanky, having a good deal of health and DR to keep them going, as well as their natural healing ability.
Blood Healing: with every bite attack done to a foe, a bloodhound heals half the damage dealt.
Trip: if a bloodhound hits with a bite attack, it can attempt to trip the opponent (+3 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the bloodhound.
Skills: *Bloodhounds have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is just a start, but I will try to at least add one or two a week, maybe more if I feel up to it. Any suggestions? Also if possible, please check my Bloodcaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16931048#post16931048) and give your views on it, I have been hard at work with it for some time now. :smallsmile: Good day to you all!

Debihuman
2014-03-05, 10:25 AM
While this is a mostly solid monster (a few missteps easy to fix), I'm finding it a bit bland.

You are missing +4 to initiative from Improved Initiative feat. Initiative should be +9.

Attack lines are missing the word "melee" after +13.

Is blood healing a Su ability or Ex? Trip is Ex.

Are these nocturnal? It doesn't specifically say so but it's hinted at.

Obviously the Environment is a homebrew setting. Still, you should add that.

It's a physically powerful creature. I'd be concerned that the party would use too many resources on it as it keeps gaining health when it bites. This is one of those critters that has the potential to be a TPK.

Debby