PDA

View Full Version : Proposeal: Tiers of Complexity

Vinyl Scratch
2014-03-05, 01:46 AM
Chances are I'm not entirely correct with this, I encourage constructive criticism about this.

Tiers of complexity:

Classes arraigned by the factors of learning curve, as well as skill ceiling and floor. Higher tier denotes a class that may be more difficult to learn or to master compared to ones that are lower on the list. This includes the effort required to make the class a viable contributor, the presence and punishment of bad or poor options, as well as some of the advanced nuances or mechanics of the class.

0: Truenamer Level

Requires significant skill and knowledge just to access the intended functions of the class.
Includes: Truenamer

1: Artificer Level

Complexity extends largely due to the sheer number of options as well as possibly difficult mechanics. Many ways to go wrong, many ways to go right.
Includes: Artificer, Spell-to-Power Erudite

2: Fixed Mundane Level

Requires choosing options for rather permanent, scarce resources (Such as feats) in order to be viable. Generally requires tight specialization.
Includes: Fighter, Monk, Rogue, Warlock (?)

3: Sorcerer Level

Requires permanent choices in the form of a fixed spells known list. Easier than tier 2 as spells tend to be powerful enough, ones that sound decent generally are.
Includes: Sorcerer, Psion, Favored Soul

4: Wizard Level

Like the sorcerer level, but generally spells known can be expanded with resources. Bad spell choices can be made up for with discovering more spells.
Includes: Wizard

5: Large Lists Level

These casters know all the spells on their respective lists. Spells can be tried on the fly, finding good ones just takes time.
Includes: Warmage, Beguiler, Cleric, Druid

6: Martial Adept Level

These classes are fairly meaty melee classes. They have plenty of options, but most all of them are decent enough. Can’t go too wrong.
Includes: Crusader, Warblade, Swordsage

3WhiteFox3
2014-03-05, 01:48 AM
Chances are I'm not entirely correct with this, I encourage constructive criticism about this.

Tiers of complexity:

Classes arraigned by the factors of learning curve, as well as skill ceiling and floor. Higher tier denotes a class that may be more difficult to learn or to master compared to ones that are lower on the list. This includes the effort required to make the class a viable contributor, the presence and punishment of bad or poor options, as well as some of the advanced nuances or mechanics of the class.

0: Truenamer Level

Requires significant skill and knowledge just to access the intended functions of the class.
Includes: Truenamer

1: Artificer Level

Complexity extends largely due to the sheer number of options as well as possibly difficult mechanics. Many ways to go wrong, many ways to go right.
Includes: Artificer, Spell-to-Power Erudite

2: Fixed Mundane Level

Requires choosing options for rather permanent, scarce resources (Such as feats) in order to be viable. Generally requires tight specialization.
Includes: Fighter, Monk, Rogue, Warlock (?)

3: Sorcerer Level

Requires permanent choices in the form of a fixed spells known list. Easier than tier 2 as spells tend to be powerful enough, ones that sound decent generally are.
Includes: Sorcerer, Psion, Favored Soul

4: Wizard Level

Like the sorcerer level, but generally spells known can be expanded with resources. Bad spell choices can be made up for with discovering more spells.
Includes: Wizard

5: Large Lists Level

These casters know all the spells on their respective lists. Spells can be tried on the fly, finding good ones just takes time.
Includes: Warmage, Beguiler, Cleric, Druid

6: Martial Adept Level

These classes are fairly meaty melee classes. They have plenty of options, but most all of them are decent enough. Can’t go too wrong.
Includes: Crusader, Warblade, Swordsage

There should be a fixed list spontaneous caster tier. Warmage and Beguiler both have the benefit of having access to all of their spells, all of the time, while the druid and cleric can only access all of their spells during preparation.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-03-05, 01:50 AM
So, by complexity, I take it you mean the following two questions:

"How easily could someone screw this up?"

and

"How easily could someone accidentally become overpowered?"

with an emphasis on the former. I would make two lists for these two questions. For instance, if you focused on the former exclusively, then STP erudite falls down to group 4. I you focus on the latter exclusively, then Druid comes up to group 2.

EugeneVoid
2014-03-05, 02:12 AM
Thing to keep in mind:
Where would fighter fit?

Very easy to play

Surprisingly easy to mess up

Just to Browse
2014-03-05, 02:40 AM
There is no way the beguiler can be classified as "simple" if you're trying to make an overarching category. Sure, chargen is really fast, but mid-combat you have to choose from ~10 spells at each spell level for your casts.

I think you should really break tiers of complexity into two separate components: Difficulty to play, and difficulty of competence. Monks and fighters require immense splatbook-diving in order to be useful, but fully-built fighters are things you can hand over to players and say "here, bull rush people into walls and intimidate every turn".