PDA

View Full Version : Lasher/Pyrokineticist combination

Vhaidara
2014-03-05, 07:53 AM
What would the opinions of the playground be on the balance factor of combining these two prestige classes into one
Lasher (http://dndtools.eu/classes/lasher/): a 3.0 whip master prestige class with some fun tricks.
Pyrokineticist (http://dndtools.eu/classes/pyrokineticist/): A psionic PrC that could easily be switched into magic instead, gets some cool fire abilities, including the Flame Lash, which is a flaming whip.

The two classes seem like they belong on the same character, but since they are both 10 level PrCs, they are rather difficult to work into the same build. Aside from the fact that neither is very good. So I want to simply combine them. A PrC gestalt, one could say.

Thoughts?

Amphetryon
2014-03-05, 08:00 AM
The whip functioned differently in 3.0 than it does in 3.5; in the former, it was treated as a Ranged weapon with a fixed Range. When we did the Pyrokineticist for Iron Chef, there was some discussion of the notion that part of that PrC's apparent dysfunction is that the verbiage of the PrC is more in keeping with 3.0 whips than 3.5 whips. Be sure you resolve this potential issue before bringing the Character to a table.

The Lasher was, I believe, folded into the 3-level Exotic Weapon Master in the 3.5 conversion. This could make it technically ineligible for a 3.5 game, unless you (again) can resolve this potential issue before bringing the Character to the table.

Yorrin
2014-03-05, 09:08 AM
I have actually done this before, and it was much fun, but many of Lasher's abilities get kinda weird when your whip is made of fire. Specifically the abilities that let you grab things. RAW you can grab onto that wooden beam just fine and swing across the chasm or whatnot, but if your whip is aflame it might cause the beam to catch fire and/or collapse. Talk to your DM first about stuff like that before you fully commit to this path.

Vhaidara
2014-03-05, 11:15 AM
The whip functioned differently in 3.0 than it does in 3.5; in the former, it was treated as a Ranged weapon with a fixed Range. When we did the Pyrokineticist for Iron Chef, there was some discussion of the notion that part of that PrC's apparent dysfunction is that the verbiage of the PrC is more in keeping with 3.0 whips than 3.5 whips. Be sure you resolve this potential issue before bringing the Character to a table.

The Lasher was, I believe, folded into the 3-level Exotic Weapon Master in the 3.5 conversion. This could make it technically ineligible for a 3.5 game, unless you (again) can resolve this potential issue before bringing the Character to the table.

Really? I don't see any of the Lasher's abilities in EWM.

I have actually done this before, and it was much fun, but many of Lasher's abilities get kinda weird when your whip is made of fire. Specifically the abilities that let you grab things. RAW you can grab onto that wooden beam just fine and swing across the chasm or whatnot, but if your whip is aflame it might cause the beam to catch fire and/or collapse. Talk to your DM first about stuff like that before you fully commit to this path.

I would still have a normal whip and an imported whip-dagger for normal functions.

Amphetryon
2014-03-05, 11:17 AM
Really? I don't see any of the Lasher's abilities in EWM.

I've been wrong before, and likely will be again, but I thought I remembered verbiage from WotC on the idea that all of the various Exotic Weapon PrCs got folded into Exotic Weapon Master in 3.5. . . you know, to reduce PrC glut. *cough*

The Viscount
2014-03-06, 01:03 PM
Lasher has actually not been revised for 3.5, though Master of Chains was folded into exotic weapons master, despite having no real similarities.

CyberThread
2014-03-06, 01:50 PM
I've been wrong before, and likely will be again, but I thought I remembered verbiage from WotC on the idea that all of the various Exotic Weapon PrCs got folmadness. ded into Exotic Weapon Master in 3.5. . . you know, to reduce PrC glut. *cough*

If it Is not in the book i bought or the 3.5 update for it. It does not count unless it is a rule ruling. author intentions are not raw or even rai when it comes to prcs with differnt